Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Engorged Biscuit
Feb 27, 2007
Buttermilk DEATH.

Squared posted:

They switched to this new system because spell components took up wayyyyyy too much pack space for mages, and they were also really loving heavy when you had stocked enough to keep fighting for long periods.

Also, run out of red tapers? Sorry, you can't cast your war spell now. Run out of yellow tapers? Sorry, no more recall spell for you to get back to town and restock!

So, instead they made it where you only needed the scarab and the standard "prismatic tapers" along with the proper artifice to cast the school you needed.

I guess they figured since most people would use the new and easier system, they should make the spells purchasable from vendors, which they did. You had to find the right town with the right vendor and you could buy up to level 6 spells. Level 7 spells were still world drops and you had to find/buy the spells you needed.

I remember being completely unable to afford level 6 spells once my Battlemage rounded out at 50 and I had every school and mana conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazi Zombies
Mar 18, 2009

I miss this game so loving much. This was the first mmo I ever played on my mom's 500 Mhz piece of poo poo, at the time. I have honestly never played an mmo since this one that has totally blown me away and opened my eyes like AC.

I would definitely be down for going back to DT server. How many people are a part of this idea now?

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.
I have 2 240's active on DT.. Will be on a bit later tonight after server update.

I swear if they take out the rare trading im going to be pissed. I was about to trade out my lovely rares and then they do this.. ffs.

smaweet
Nov 20, 2008

by The Finn
Well they made it do something where it took maybe 6 less pack slots and 200 burden for a mage to use the old component system than the new one as an incentive, but after the first month only an extreme minority of people didn't covert over to the new way of it working and that was that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I remember being so mad when SplitPea came out :argh: I learned my first level 5 spell BY HAND. All you could do in the beginning was take the basic spell order and switch out the colors. Level 5 spells required 3 colored tapers, and there were something like 12 colors, so that's 12^3 permutations that you'd have to sit there working through until you learned the spell. And god forbid that you do hit the right permutation but fizzle anyway due to a bad dice roll. So just to be safe I'd try each permutation 3 times. Man, that was a ton of money.

But after you learned enough spells by hand you could spreadsheet them and figure out the rest. Most of the spells were so useless, just stupid things like decreasing someone's cooking skill.

It definitely sucked having to carry around 10 billion different components, nearly overburdening your low-strength caster. I quit before they changed the system.

I was so disappointed when I played other MMOs. AC released a deluge of content every month, often involving the players in an advancing story, and only charged $10/mo on top of that.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 25, 2009

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

bauen posted:

I would definitely be down for going back to DT server. How many people are a part of this idea now?

I would also like to know how many people have signed on for this idea. I would also like to know how many active higher level goons are helping the new group.

I've burnt out on this game at least half a dozen times so I'd really like to know what's up before throwing in again.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

I can get new chars to 50 in a day, over 100 in a week.

Make a list of names of chars who are returning and I'll get in contact in-game.
Allegiance is already made, just need to get you old guys back in it.

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I was so disappointed when I played other MMOs. AC released a deluge of content every month, often involving the players in an advancing story, and only charged $10/mo on top of that.

This is something that took time for me to get used to. After playing AC for so long I figured every MMO did the same thing. How disappointing that it wasn't the case.

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

evelyn87 posted:

I can get new chars to 50 in a day, over 100 in a week.

About how long in hours and when do you play normally?

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

To rejoin your old lost memories of darktide.

Go grab a trial account at turbine(ac)'s website.

Hop into darktide and message one of the following

Blue Pheonix (online after 5pm EST)
Comadose (online after 5pm EST)

They will have a challenge question to prove you are SA
and not some enemy alleg trying to get inside our barriers.

Challenge question "whats up?" answer "saacftw"

This expires in 7d and/or someone googles it and we get a spai :) We love spai's.

We can provide powerleveling.. Getting to 20 takes less than an hour, getting to 50 takes a day and a kill task. At 50 my high level toons can share xp and insta level 50's to 100. After 100 you are self-sufficient and welcome to the premier SA gankparty. =)

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
Oh my god, Devilmouse is here, some JoVcats. And Yard Gnome.

This thread makes me want to find Naudica and inept him irl. We all know that's the only way he beat me at Fight Night.

No game will ever make me feel the way AC did. And I will probably never be as good at something as I was being a 13 year old with a curious mind, a competitive streak, and RL friends playing with me with assloads of free time on our hands.

Ahhh, Zabis, I miss you, you lovely gray-haired no spec fox :(

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

The 14 day free trial page is down?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Miss Fats posted:

The 14 day free trial page is down?

I was going to come back and play some but the page is still down and it appears no one is really keeping up on this thread either.

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

I played this game way too much when I was younger. I miss it so much. I loved darktide and the idea of antis or rpks. If I start up again all the horrible changes will probably destroy my memories of it.

Did anyone end up starting anew on DT?

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
bumping this because I'm back to AC after years and years and it's grabbing me once again.

No other game I know of lets you rain death on a group of undead whilst neatly sidestepping the volley of arrows coming at you.

Loot that actually means something, either directly or as part of salvage which will let you improve that weapon or armor.

A myriad of dungeons that ask for more than just ingame skill but require actual wasd skill to negotiate. More dungeons than you'll be able to visit in a year.

Most of all, it's a 'dying' game and lets you do what I just did: get a villa which had obviously been abandoned filled to the brim with delicious items. Luckily they related to my ingame skills as well.

I'm on frostfell and come one, come all.

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

I started again on DT. The going is tough so far; no items, no money, no plats, let alone level 8s. A found a friend who was still playing and he has a buffbot so life isn't that bad. I rolled a thrown weapons character just to be different.

PvP is still amazing. My mage is 150 and gets decimated by everyone (no 8s, no wards, no decent armor) but it is still so much fun!

Catch me IG as Ill or Fad.

Defecation
Dec 9, 2005

Never give up.
Just resubscribed and started patching. Hopefully I won't run into any problems with vista or my graphics card.

I believe I have a Melee D BM on darktide around level 150, I'll send a message once I get everything set up.

Tap
Apr 12, 2003

Note to self: Do not shove foreign objects in mouth.
This game took 2 years of my life away. It was incredibly fun to play though.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

I have a dt account I'm willing to part with if anyone would be interested in starting with a halfway decent account. 1 lvl 237, 1 lvl 240.

Skype me, rudolph.hausler

JEWS ILLUMINATI
Aug 30, 2008
The only remotely entertaining part of this game nowadays is watching the e-gangsters argue with each other in general chat.

Defecation
Dec 9, 2005

Never give up.

evelyn87 posted:

I have a dt account I'm willing to part with if anyone would be interested in starting with a halfway decent account. 1 lvl 237, 1 lvl 240.

Skype me, rudolph.hausler

Evelyn87 and I traded for his account.

Thanks Evelyn87

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

I can set goons up on server thistledown or morningthaw. I prefer TD, good PK community there. As ive stated before, leveling is rediculously easy. Give me 3 weeks and your vassalship and I can get you geared, up to speed with patches you've missed and macroing in the end-game dungeons no prob.

skype is rudolph.hausler

Fictitious Reality of TD

Thanks Defecation, hope you enjoy DT. Come level your noob in TD sometime =P

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

Extra Crispy posted:

The only remotely entertaining part of this game nowadays is watching the e-gangsters argue with each other in general chat.
Is it the man who macroed the world? Wow, everyone is here.

JEWS ILLUMINATI
Aug 30, 2008

RndmCnflct posted:

Is it the man who macroed the world? Wow, everyone is here.
I have no affiliation with the AC Darktide Extra Crispy.

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
I started up a sword guy on DT a few days ago with a friend of mine who went thrown weapons. His client crashed on him after a night or two of playing and now he can't log in. He can create characters and everything but when he tries to enter the world his screen stays black and he doesn't enter portal space. We've gone through all the vista/router fixes that are listed on Turbine's site. Has anyone else had this happen?

smaweet
Nov 20, 2008

by The Finn

SCRIPTaR posted:

I started up a sword guy on DT a few days ago with a friend of mine who went thrown weapons. His client crashed on him after a night or two of playing and now he can't log in. He can create characters and everything but when he tries to enter the world his screen stays black and he doesn't enter portal space. We've gone through all the vista/router fixes that are listed on Turbine's site. Has anyone else had this happen?

yeah, was a router issue for me

couldn't play the game until I got a D-Link router, this game hates NetGear

(new router software screws up packet transfer and this game is too ancient to handle it)

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Has anyone gotten the free trial to work recently? I can download the client, but when I put in my e-mail address for an activation key, the site just times out on me.

I'm itching for some nostalgia. Hell, I'd just buy the game if there was an easy way to get an authentication key online.

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
Been playing with some friends for about 3 weeks now and it continues to be a lot of fun. I'm glad Turbine has been pumping out new content since the last time I played about 5 years ago. I got a sword guy to 100 in a few days game time and am looking for some new poo poo to do. If anyone else is still playing this hit me up. I'm on as Trunk Slamchest.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to make prismatic shadow armor out of lesser shadow armor? It would make getting a suit much less of a hassle.

Pube Factory fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 25, 2009

smaweet
Nov 20, 2008

by The Finn
you gotta use gsa

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant

SCRIPTaR posted:

Been playing with some friends for about 3 weeks now and it continues to be a lot of fun. I'm glad Turbine has been pumping out new content since the last time I played about 5 years ago. I got a sword guy to 100 in a few days game time and am looking for some new poo poo to do. If anyone else is still playing this hit me up. I'm on as Trunk Slamchest.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to make prismatic shadow armor out of lesser shadow armor? It would make getting a suit much less of a hassle.

As far as I know, it only works on greater shadow armor, see here: http://asheron.info/~asheron/index.php/Prismatic_Oil

You should be using that wiki for everything in-game by the way, as it has by far the most accurate info for the game now that most of the major "fan sites" are gone.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I recently resubscribed, and out of curiosity wanted to see if there was an AC thread, and here it is.

I really miss the old AC. They've made some big improvements to the game, but the game is dying and just doesn't have the feeling of the good old days.

I remember so much, despite it having been almost ten years ago. Hunting low level reed sharks with a friend, dying a lot for minimal gain, leveling on the Mayoi beaches killing water and mud golems and running like hell from the wasps. One time a friend and I spent over an hour trying to kill a hunter shreth.

Then the fun of getting to a higher level, and learning the mechanics. Draining Lugians near Qalabar in that one building thing. Fort Teth; surrounded by monsters that would kill you more often than you'd kill them. Fighting from the walls for a chance out of 15 people to loot a monster that in reality would likely drop any good loot anyways. Getting strong enough to hunt Umbris Shadows alone in the wilderness.

Subway's craziness, PK fights and traders and portal storms. Accidentally falling to your death when you didn't shift jump or were too low a level alt and forgot.

Bael'Zharon's assault on Dereth. The wonderful spell that teleported you to Fort Teth. . . that is, several miles ABOVE the fort to come crashing down. The Defense of the Crystal by a month long constant vigil of players (and monster leveling) on Thistledown. THAT was epic; I remember logging on, hoping against hope that our server (Frostfell) would hold out, and when they fell, that Thistledown would keep the crystal alive as well.

Crazy schemes. Abusing money exchange rates (sell at Fort Teth, buy in Glendon Wood? for profit) when money still had weight. Buying mattekar coats for one mote in one town, selling it for two in another, repeating. I loved keeping track of the trade value of the few useful items after each patch. Dressing up as the Olthoi Hunter NPC with a character with the same name, staying just above the character's map dot, only on the level above to scheme players out of their items; I even had the hunter's text saved to clipboard and would spew it at them when it looked like they'd clicked on me.

Selling motes on ebay; 32 for $400. Selling a character for $250 or so more. Looting a mattekar robe off a corpse during a shadow attack; he'd been killed trying to recover a body, and hadn't gotten the robe out, and the corpse was open. I played with keeping it for a while and then returned it. Getting my own mattekar robe later after trading a million small shards. Fighting amongst 30 or so players to kill a Tusker or two in the BSD. Likewise in that Lugian dungeon, and the BDC? with the Olthoi for the Noble spawn.

And then just exploring. You'd go out in the middle of nowhere, where no one was, and you'd stumble upon a quest or a neat ruin or some lore. The lore was so great. I remember sitting down and just reading things from the libraries. There was so much to do and see. And you might get a chance at a mote or a shard at any moment, so that kept things interesting; instead of having only the high level monsters with good trade items, lower level monsters had a smaller chance of dropping a lesser form of a good trade item. What MMORPG does that?

And I just loved the skill system. Be whatever you wanted. Sure, some things would be less useful, but you could still do it. Sword mage, check. Cooking archer, check. Unarmed fletcher with magic defense. Yep. That was just so great. With games like WoW, everyone is the same, with maybe one or two differences per class.

In AC, it wasn't the level that was important. I loved the XP -> skill system. One person might be level 40, and another 60, and the level 40 guy would be able to fight harder enemies. The level 60 had more experience points to spend, but the 40 had spent them in a specialized way; he'd be weak as hell but able to deal out crazy damage. Any so on.

The game was just so epic. Death was a legitimate fear; you didn't want to die because you might lose a corpse if you didn't know where you died. Vitae was a bitch; after dying, you might not be strong enough to fight the monsters camping your corpse. Everything just seemed so dangerous, and we liked it that way. Some people power leveled. Me, I liked to go out hunting. The experience rates were slower, but it was more fun; you never knew what you'd find, or if you'd see anyone at all, and back then there were lots of people online. To have over two thousand people on at a time, with no instances, and STILL be able to go off alone and be undisturbed in an area that was fun and rewarding, you don't see that anywhere else.

And like others have said, it was a game of skill. Sure, you can generally hunt things appropriate for your level, but you could ALSO hunt things way above you. You just had to choose the right attacks at the right times, know when to dodge, when to run, and what buffs/debuffs to use. Should I use a weaker spell that I can cast more of, and faster? Or should I use my best spells, hope I don't get resisted or fizzle too much, and so on.

The game had a big impact on me. I certainly expect more of my online games than WoW and the bunch; they just seem dumbed down for me. And it's a shame

I get nostalgic every so often of the game. Hell, my name reminds me of the old level cap, though there is no connection. I used to play on Frostfell originally, it really was the best server. Unfortunately, I had to quit when I went to college, since my campus didn't accept the packets or some such nonsense, and the game no longer worked. And then, five or so years later, I got back in for a few months on Verdantine. I had to start a new character since I didn't have any of my old information from my old char, or I'd sold him way back when, or something. I remember playing on Solclaim for a few months too towards the end. But I moved to Verdantine, thinking maybe it would be less cramped since it was apparently newer. Imagine my surprise when the world was nearly empty. I played for two months or so, and then silently logged off and canceled my subscription.

The game keeps pulling me in, though. After two years, I resubscribed. Verdantine is as dead as ever, of course. Peak times don't break 40; ~30 is normal, which includes the 1-5 buff bots that are generally on. No trade bots, unfortunately; as a person that loved trading, it's disappointing. But the few people that remain are fairly decent; they're a helpful bunch and still run a quest every few days, and I don't see any trash talk or immaturity, etc., that you guys have mentioned. Feel free to look up Ashwin Coors if anyone's on the server; I normally talk about crazy poo poo and/or amphibians in allegiance and general chat, but that's me.

I just wish we could go back to the old days. Obviously nostalgia will cloud some things over, but it really was a great game, and it's still a good game. It's not that same though in the end; I'll probably hang around for a month or two, and then leave until nostalgia calls again, but that's life.

Of course, might be good to bring up UAS2 again. They're making some real progress on it (http://forum.johnnyjpg.com/ - I'm guessing some goon is associated with hosting it from the URL?). The old UAS program runs, but is basically just the map with some NPCs and no functionality. UAS2 looks to be heading for full fledged Dark Majesty emulation. Hell, if you're a decent coder, you might even be able to lend a hand; anyone else can help with data gathering; I'm currently mapping the monster spawns in the NW section of the mainland. Check it out.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Any of y'all still playing on DT? I haven't played in about a year, but goons tend to be fun to game/gank with and once I find a Windows XP CD key so I can install windows, I'll be resubbing.

AC ruined MMORPGs for me. I've never found another game that even remotely compares to AC. Something about that game was magical in the first few years.... Passing off your good armor to a friend to hold onto while jumping into some random portal someone summoned just to see where it went... Running through the wilderness and finding a couple of buildings, a vendor, and a lifestone out in the middle of nowhere.... I loved how they had the audacity to actually change the landscape. The shadow spires appearing was amazing, especially as the devs would randomly abduct people up into them.

Time to stop rambling and find a product key for Win XP.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 27, 2009

Bonar Law
May 7, 2006
I have a large fridge at home and I've been eating a lot of pork chops.
I was on Darktide about a year ago for a few months after taking a break for 5~ years. Got a mage to level 140~...I just got tired of the current player base and 24/7/365 macroing. Seriously, the VN Board Warrior Darktide population (98% of the players) is so painfully sad to be on the same server with. They are worth harassing for kicks but it feels like they're the only people that play Darktide now and it's somewhat depressing. Darktide was successful because there were antis, pks, and all sorts of neutrals...being in a particular monarchy meant something and provided a player environment I haven't seen since.

signalerr
Nov 13, 2007
Making the gently caressing pizzas all day
Asheron's call was my first MMO and my first game I really fell in love with. A friend of mine introduced me to it and we started playing on darktide.

I would try and see if they could migrate my old characters but im afriad it is impossible. I do have the original CD-key, but Ill be damned if I ever remember my old zone account name. It was one of those names you make when your new to the internet, like "xXtitanGOKU7789" for example.

I might give it a shot, I will try and get in touch if I get in.

Does anyone happen to know their current stance on macro bots? I left during the whole "afk bot inquisition.

(side note: I was one ported to a small room with a yellow flower and a purple olthoi. The gm asked me, what is the color of both objects in the room. I said, "yellow and purple". I got a week suspension. It turns out there was a small brown chair behind me. :suicide:)

signalerr fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 12, 2009

Bonar Law
May 7, 2006
I have a large fridge at home and I've been eating a lot of pork chops.

Bonar Law posted:

I was on Darktide about a year ago for a few months after taking a break for 5~ years. Got a mage to level 140~...I just got tired of the current player base and 24/7/365 macroing. Seriously, the VN Board Warrior Darktide population (98% of the players) is so painfully sad to be on the same server with. They are worth harassing for kicks but it feels like they're the only people that play Darktide now and it's somewhat depressing. Darktide was successful because there were antis, pks, and all sorts of neutrals...being in a particular monarchy meant something and provided a player environment I haven't seen since.

They don't care. I macroed for 8-12 hour stretches constantly and never once had to deal with any suspension or GM. At this point, they would be foolish to ban anyone for being logged on, afk or not.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Is the Og Mage still a viable build?

http://acvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Guidebooks.Detail&id=18
http://ac.warcry.com/db/fanfiction/251

var1ety
Jul 26, 2004

Basic mage before Level 8 spells came out was 100 endurance, Spec War/MagicD, Train Life/Item/Creature/ManaC with 20 skill points left over at 180. You use the last 20 to customize, choosing between MeleeD/MissileD/Arcane/Healing/Life/Creature to Train/Spec. Trained MissileD/Arcane/Healing was pretty common, or drop Arcane Lore and use rares to activate your items and then Spec Life or Creature.

Spec life gives you less resists on vulns and Tugak (life ring spell, costs 50% of your hitpoints, deals 200% damage, and can double hit to one shot people). Not sure if you need Spec schools to cast Level 8 spells, but assuming you do then Spec Life would be standard now.

Spec Creature isn't very common since as soon as you start debuffing most people choose to run.

Drains were nerfed before I started playing, so most people level to 120 or so as a melee with their racial weapon and then respec to mage since mage leveling is brutal.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!
This thread made me happy. I logged about 4 months in game time as The Jaff on SC. I logged in for a minute after they removed the 126 level cap at around level 200, logged out, and never went back. I macroed like crazy with Rastafarian Mage, Coupas, and Zal Frost. We were all sneaky about it since it was an anti-macro monarchy. I was also a pansy rear end PK lighter. Good times!

It may be nostalgia talking, but I was not able to get into another MMORPG. Glad to see I wasn't the only one that loved this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was just thinking about this game today, I loved it when it was on Zone.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Has there ever even been a hint of AC3? ac2 was such a huge let down but I still loved the world of AC Played it up to event where Asheron was running around since Beta.

• Locked thread