Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Laserface posted:

adjusting trucks - Tighter seems to be recommended for beginners and ive been getting wobbles at just faster than running speed.

is there a method to it? front/rear should be equal, how many 'turns' of the nut do you adjust at a time?

Longboarders recommend keeping the rears a little tighter than front, because the rear turning more than the front can be one (maybe most common?) cause of wobbles. Can confirm that it solved the wobble problem on my cruiser board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McJesus
Jun 28, 2002

Garfu posted:

I threw out my back lifting a stroller into a trunk so I think my days of ever landing a kickflip again are over. It's been a week and I'm still having a ton of soreness.

Sad realization.

I had similar issues a couple of years ago and started doing these 4 yogo stretches ( I cant recall all their names but bridge support, Cat Cow and Spinal Twist were 3 of them) but the gist is to stretch and strengthen your core which takes the strain off of your lower back muscles so you don't throw your back out tying your shoes or sneezing. I noticed a difference fairly quickly and after a couple of months I really noticed how much less I was throwing my back out over dumb stuff. I ended up starting to skate several months later and now use several of those stretches before skating and it helps my old rear end avoid a lot of other muscle pulls!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

McJesus posted:

I had similar issues a couple of years ago and started doing these 4 yogo stretches ( I cant recall all their names but bridge support, Cat Cow and Spinal Twist were 3 of them) but the gist is to stretch and strengthen your core which takes the strain off of your lower back muscles so you don't throw your back out tying your shoes or sneezing. I noticed a difference fairly quickly and after a couple of months I really noticed how much less I was throwing my back out over dumb stuff. I ended up starting to skate several months later and now use several of those stretches before skating and it helps my old rear end avoid a lot of other muscle pulls!

I started lifting weights, just simple barbell/dumbbell stuff at home a couple years ago and as long as I stay on it, my back does not get hosed up from stupid stuff like stepping off a curb wrong. Deadlift and bent over row seem to be the big ones that help.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I also lift weights and run and find skateboarding to be a lot easier than when I didnt.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
My rower just got here and I'm planning on getting back in shape, so yeah maybe that will help. Good call

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My knee magically stopped hurting and I do not know what I changed.

It still pops all the time and a deep squat feels tight but there isn't any of the dull twinge I had before.

Better go skate I guess. Fix that right up.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Garfu posted:

My rower just got here and I'm planning on getting back in shape, so yeah maybe that will help. Good call

I wish I had access to a rower or space to keep one. Every time I come off a river trip where I row for a week, I feel so much better.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2lGMQp_ock

:swoon:

i'm gay 4 tom K

are we still allowed to say that?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

You guys skating anything cool this weekend? Working on anything? The new park by my house has a small a-frame beside a ledge, I'm going to try and front side krook it all day today after work.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I didn't get that k grind. Too many scooters at the park.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I've just been practicing my pushing technique and working on my carving. 3 months of boarding every other day after basically never doing it prior and I'm feeling pretty decent now. Learning how to brake definitely has helped with confidence. Going to this big empty carpark at the Rec centre has too. It's full of other 30+ roller skaters/boarders just practicing fundamentals, and it's pretty great taking a few beers and a speaker and just hanging out with other people in that moment.

I thought skateboarding could be last mile transport but it's simply too difficult and too dangerous at my skill level to consider it so I'm keeping it as just a fun way to move my body and later, use it as an activity (eg. go skate along the beach/around the park)

I can feel that carving on a skateboard is going to improve my snowboard carving which is really what I wanted out of it so that's good too.

I'm not really into tricks but I might learn to Ollie since it definitely removes a lot of barriers. Probably slides too when I get comfortable at speed although I don't think my cruiser is really long enough and the wheels too soft. All in good time.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Laserface posted:

I've just been practicing my pushing technique and working on my carving. 3 months of boarding every other day after basically never doing it prior and I'm feeling pretty decent now. Learning how to brake definitely has helped with confidence. Going to this big empty carpark at the Rec centre has too. It's full of other 30+ roller skaters/boarders just practicing fundamentals, and it's pretty great taking a few beers and a speaker and just hanging out with other people in that moment.

I thought skateboarding could be last mile transport but it's simply too difficult and too dangerous at my skill level to consider it so I'm keeping it as just a fun way to move my body and later, use it as an activity (eg. go skate along the beach/around the park)

I can feel that carving on a skateboard is going to improve my snowboard carving which is really what I wanted out of it so that's good too.

I'm not really into tricks but I might learn to Ollie since it definitely removes a lot of barriers. Probably slides too when I get comfortable at speed although I don't think my cruiser is really long enough and the wheels too soft. All in good time.

Ollies are great for commuting on a skateboard. Once you can get them to feel natural you can ollie over manhole covers, and up curbs while you are commuting on the skateboard. I always feel like Patrick Melcher in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89NjEeHku8o, when I'm going from point A to Point B on a skateboard. Ollie up a curb, ollie over a man hole, nose manual a cross walk. I don't think it's the most efficient way to commute, but it is by far the most fun. I know what you mean though, I see some people commuting on skateboards and you can tell they haven't been skating for a very long time and it looks dangerous when they can't slow down efficiently, or have to jump off the board while moving.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
But also know that doing it while wearing a backpack is way different and chances are you're gonna be wearing a backpack. So get like Muska and just skate in a backpack all the time is what I'm saying.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

that flogging molly video made me wonder what Patrick Melcher was up to. He's got a cool style now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR9FQC_hJJg I used to love his part in Black Label's Blackout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShSawGPcw50 but it feels like a completely different skater.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hah, this is awesome :D
https://www.avclub.com/news-anchor-ends-local-skatepark-dispatch-by-shredding-1847864081
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U105vTV0LQQ

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

God drat I want to skate with mr premium right now.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I love how lot of skate competitions are live streamed on internet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFSpia_vx-Q

Tampa pro with thread favourite Andy Anderson competing.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGx6s_mBmMg

:trumppop: fred and BA

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Claes Oldenburger posted:

It's the biggest issue with them. From what I understand when you go too fast it causes the board to slow itself, which causes the nose to dip, which then hits the ground and ejects you. It's a bad enough problem that people put aftermarket tiny wheels on the front so it hits those and keeps rolling instead of stopping immediately.

What you are talking about is Pushback, and is intentionally designed that way to warn the rider to slow the gently caress down so you don't eat poo poo gunning for the speed throne. Every single person who falls due to this is because they try to power through it instead of ease up as they should, only to have the board lean forward too much and have them faceplant. You can override this when the board is set to the Delerium setting.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Yes, turns out people will pay a lot of money for something with less functionality and stability but makes you look like you're from the future.

Well I own one so I can tell you right off the bat it has a hell of a lot more functionality than any motorized skateboard or longboard; also very quiet, those electric boards are noisy as hell compared to the astroglide smoothness of a OW.

It doesn't handle like a longboard or skateboard since it's all about center-of-gravity balance. Give it a try sometime, ever since I switched I can't go back to the standard boards, the OW has spoiled me.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The OneWheel owner has logged on.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i was hiking a multi-use trail and saw two dudes one-wheeling it like mad over mountain bike jumps and poo poo. it owned.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

ArmZ posted:

i was hiking a multi-use trail and saw two dudes one-wheeling it like mad over mountain bike jumps and poo poo. it owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iUFFKCLaCk

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

holy thread necromancy

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

holy thread necromancy

What do you mean? Thread is as active as our collective skateboarding.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why does my front foot hurt when I stand on it so much while pushing? Do I really need arch support? Skate shoes do not offer arch support (I'm wearing supportive but not archy shoes)

I feel like I need my toes hanging over the board on my front foot to get good turning power on front side/toe side turns. Maybe this is because my cruiser board is wider up front than the rear?

I can brake OK hanging my rear toes off the deck but I can't do the other method of braking with my foot parallel to the board. I feel like it's just that I need to put my heel down first rather than my toes. Any tips?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Foot hurting - Your body will adjust over time as long as you don't push yourself too hard. Arch support and cushioning helps. For me, it's easier on a double drop deck or one with some flex.

Foot braking - it's a one legged squat. Practice lowering your braking foot onto the ground by squatting over your lead foot. Do it stationary and then practice on a slight downhill slope.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 27, 2021

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Laserface posted:

Why does my front foot hurt when I stand on it so much while pushing? Do I really need arch support? Skate shoes do not offer arch support (I'm wearing supportive but not archy shoes)

My foot starts hurting real bad when I longboard and it tends to be cause I'm tensing up really bad. Stretching before, during, and after is a good move that really helped me a bunch, as are more supportive shoes or inserts. I also have high arches so this might contribute. I may go back to skating in hiking shoes tbh, looks silly but is super comfy for cruising

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

adhuin posted:

What do you mean? Thread is as active as our collective skateboarding.

I should have said "post necromancy," my mistake. Since that quoted post was over a year old.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Laserface posted:

I feel like I need my toes hanging over the board on my front foot to get good turning power on front side/toe side turns. Maybe this is because my cruiser board is wider up front than the rear?

I can brake OK hanging my rear toes off the deck but I can't do the other method of braking with my foot parallel to the board. I feel like it's just that I need to put my heel down first rather than my toes. Any tips?

I had the same problems quite a bit, and relaxing in various places, or transferring muscle tension to other places, really helped. I was gripping the board a lot with my toes rather than properly balancing over my front foot. That leads into braking. As AfricanBootyShine said, practice a one-legged squat while stationary and then in motion. I'll add that it has helped me a lot to do that squat-to-brake motion slowly so I'm forced to balance on the front foot deliberately. If I feel my front foot cramping or feel shaky when braking, I'll take a few minutes to run through that motion again without actually braking, just lowering my back foot to the ground till it drags, and then slowly standing back up onto the board. And then on top of all of that, keeping some tension in your core really helps. In yoga terms, draw your navel to your spine and draw strength into your 6th and or 7th chakras (clench your butthole and taint).

At the advice of someone in this thread, I got some Footprint insoles and they are in fact great. I got the 5mm ones without arch support and going back I'd do the 7mm (King, maybe?). They go a long way to deaden the impact on my pushing foot and just have good overall cushion for everyday stuff too. I have high arches and decently strong feet, so my arches are fine with the basic shock absorption/cushion insoles.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 27, 2021

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Learning to push switch (or even mongo) really helps if you're going long distances.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I should have said "post necromancy," my mistake. Since that quoted post was over a year old.

I got this thread mixed up with the bike one and forgot I had not checked this in forever, a winner is me :yotj:

My mistake!

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Other than when I am actively skating, or walking to and from the skatepark, I wear very supportive shoes. My feet usually hurt pretty bad for a day or two after a long skate session, I think it's from lack of support. It doesn't really bother me. I hang my toes off the front of my deck when I do heelflips, I like to picture curling my toes around the side of the board right before I pop and flip out.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
For what it’s worth I find Vans insoles to be incompatible with my foot/arch.

I’ve been using the “Footprint Insoles” brand insoles to replace stock insoles, specifically the “game changer” custom orthotic model that molds to your feet.

I just found out recently the dude who owns Footprint Insoles is a MAGA dipshit so I’m looking for a suitable replacement. But until I do I’ll keep skating that garbage.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOz6Hwjdpt4

Chris Haslam on the Nine Club

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

UFOTacoMan posted:

I just found out recently the dude who owns Footprint Insoles is a MAGA dipshit so I’m looking for a suitable replacement. But until I do I’ll keep skating that garbage.

oh for fucks sake

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

UFOTacoMan posted:

For what it’s worth I find Vans insoles to be incompatible with my foot/arch.

I’ve been using the “Footprint Insoles” brand insoles to replace stock insoles, specifically the “game changer” custom orthotic model that molds to your feet.

I can't find anything of Jason Guadalajara being a Trump supporter. So where are you finding this?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Altared State posted:

I can't find anything of Jason Guadalajara being a Trump supporter. So where are you finding this?

that's the impression I got from this thread on slap

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118116.390

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118116.450

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Man that forum is fuckin unreadable. The thread seems to be about Paul Hart and Joey Brezinski?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
yeah I don't know maybe i've gone too far with the MAGA talk but I pre-ordered the footprints shoes a while back and they stiffed me on that, no response to emails etc.
Would love to have an alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Man that forum is fuckin unreadable. The thread seems to be about Paul Hart and Joey Brezinski?

Yes it's terrible.
I find you have to register an account, login and turn off sigs just to comfortably read/lurk.