Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Voodoofly posted:

Anyone have recommendations, videos or tips on teaching a five year old how to skate? I skated some but not much growing up and probably never really learned correctly. And that was a long time ago. We are giving him a board for his birthday though so anything to help out would be nice. I asked the local shop where I got the board about potential lessons etc but most won’t start for a couple months so anything to help fill the gap would be nice.

I was given a skateboard at about that age by my father. And I still skateboard now. I also see kids at the skatepark in that range that are there for the first time. And my good friend just started his kid on skateboarding he's about 6. I think at this age the most important part is probably forming a positivdrelationship with skateboarding. don't know of any videos but here are my tips.

- make sure they understand falling isn't a bad thing. Even if it hurts.
I see this at the skate park a lot, parents who see their kid fall and yank them up and then the kid starts crying. My dad would let me fall and sort of ask me if I was okay, and then tell me it looked awesome and to try again. Obviously if your kid is hurt do something.

- Let your kid explore
It's not really shown on videos, but skate boarding even for most pros is just a bunch of falling leading up to the unbelievable feeling of doing something. Doing something doesn't have to mean crazy tricks. Even at that age my dad would get me to try to do tic tacs and 180 spins. Or lay on the board with my belly and roll. Rolling on one foot. Both feet on the back trucks. I think what makes it hard for adults to skate is that they didn't have the chance to spend the years at your kids age just doing random stuff on a skate board.

- no crowded skateparks.
That means no weekends where there are a bunch of kids on scooters and adults. If your kid gets smashed up by an adult or even by another kid, it's a big hassle. And your kid is going to be afraid of getting smashed up again.

- skate videos
My dad bought me a lot of skate VHS tapes. Even without the coordination as a kid it was awesome to try the tricks out or what I thought the tricks were. I bet youtube would be good here.

Sorry if this is scattered I just woke up and on mobile.

-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
To follow up gay for gacha's first point, I've found two ideas really resonate with my 4 year old when she takes a tumble: 1) you can be hurt but not injured. 2) the pain is at its worst immediately after a bump but usually doesn't feel so bad after a minute.

Not making a big deal and mentioning those two things matter of factly often gets her back on her feet without much fuss.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Braille have a ton of fantastic tutorials on youtube from basic stuff to just "your first trip to a skatepark."

I started watching these since I haven't skated since the 90's and neither have most of my friends, but there's a big renaissance around here for "old man skate jams" at the local parks. I have a friend that's a couple of years older than me even (like 48) that started back and is documenting his poo poo on youtube and it's honestly pretty cool. He ended up giving me a board so I really don't have any excuses to NOT get back to it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Thanks for the tips and Brailles video looks good.

I’ve already (hopefully) gotten past the freak out stage about falling. We have a pump track a couple blocks away and he is at the point where he has fallen enough times on his two wheel scooter that he can glide the track even with other people on it.

It’s just little fundamental stuff I want to help introduce him to, especially as I have a hosed up leg following a spinal surgery so I can’t even really stand on the board to show him. But those videos should hopefully work.

And yeah there are tons of 40+ guys like me picking it up now too around here. I wish I could be one of them.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

That sucks about your leg, but live vicariously through your kiddo! WE're lucky to have a really cool surf/skate shop here that has a pretty awesome cafe with seating on a balcony that overlooks the park. It's cool to just grab lunch there and watch dudes skate.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

EdsTeioh posted:

Braille have a ton of fantastic tutorials on youtube from basic stuff to just "your first trip to a skatepark."

I started watching these since I haven't skated since the 90's and neither have most of my friends, but there's a big renaissance around here for "old man skate jams" at the local parks. I have a friend that's a couple of years older than me even (like 48) that started back and is documenting his poo poo on youtube and it's honestly pretty cool. He ended up giving me a board so I really don't have any excuses to NOT get back to it.

Isn't Braille associated with Scientology? And they also had a pedo on their team.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Altared State posted:

Isn't Braille associated with Scientology? And they also had a pedo on their team.

But they have really good video on tre flips

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Altared State posted:

Man I have NO IDEA and holy poo poo if so. If anyone has any info, post it! I'm so far out of the loop my last board was a friggin Lance Mountain when it was *current*.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Kyro is definitely a scientologist but I don't think you would ever know that from watching Braille content. No idea about a pedo being on their team.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Ok so yeah, it looks like that Fetty Potter dude was dating a 14 year old when he was 26. This was like 3 years ago; no idea if he's still with them or what but gently caress that poo poo.

Also it looks like Aaron Kyro left or sold the company or whatever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Potter was fired from the company once the story broke. Whether they knew about the situation prior to that is unclear to me.

Kyro is still with the company, but he's doing more backend business stuff now so is less visible. Not that that vindicates the company or its ties to cults in any way, but that might be why it appears he's left. He was forced from his CEO position as a result of the Scientology stuff but that was years ago now.

edit - not defending or promoting the company at all. Just listing what little I know about all of it.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 12, 2022

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I've made pretty much same post in the past but Kyro was absolutely shilling Scientology in ads before

chaleski posted:

I used to watch Braille until one day I got an ad on YouTube from the Church of Scientology featuring Aaron Kyro talking about how great Scientology is and how it makes him skate better and I haven't watched Braille since

Hey I think I found it https://youtube.com/watch?v=clBtEd631i0

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

rad

A Board Ridden by Gonz in Video Days

Current high bid:$3,000.00

https://unofficialgonz.com/

:trumppop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTROBT2Kf3s

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
More crazy poo poo from the fine folks at Sour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcW-w0xZqbs

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

every now and then i gotta remind my self that we live in a world in which bob burnquist made this film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlL4NPOrYck

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My girlfriends youngest is turning 11 this month and wants a skateboard. It looks like the best bet is to just roll into a local shop and buy a complete setup and some pads and a helmet?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

fknlo posted:

My girlfriends youngest is turning 11 this month and wants a skateboard. It looks like the best bet is to just roll into a local shop and buy a complete setup and some pads and a helmet?

I would say so.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

fknlo posted:

I'd say take him to a shop and let him pick out a board and pads that suit him

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks again for the advice in here. My son is messing around a bit on the new board but is sort of obsessed with his scooter right now.

My partner, however, decided that it looked fun as hell and has started to learn to ride in her later age. She has ridden it so much after watching those videos that I convinced her we should go to the landyachtz factory store to get her a cruiser of her own.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

If she's just starting skip over the standard dinghy. It's a nice cruiser but something wider or longer is much better to start with imo (dropcat 33 or blunt fender would be my choices).

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 13, 2022

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Voodoofly posted:

Thanks again for the advice in here. My son is messing around a bit on the new board but is sort of obsessed with his scooter right now.

My partner, however, decided that it looked fun as hell and has started to learn to ride in her later age. She has ridden it so much after watching those videos that I convinced her we should go to the landyachtz factory store to get her a cruiser of her own.

I don't know what it is about kids and scooters right now, but they just love them.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
And now for something completely different... Andy Anderson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHCbbjuQu4M

Freestyle contests look really fun and weird.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Reminds me of figure skating. Now I want to see Andy do a routine in a sequined leotard.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

AfricanBootyShine posted:

If she's just starting skip over the standard dinghy. It's a nice cruiser but something wider or longer is much better to start with imo (dropcat 33 or blunt fender would be my choices).

New Dropcat 33 alongside its little brother. She picked it out independently with suggestions from the shop clerk and standing on a few different models but I definitely smiled remembering you had recommended the same board.

Kid was in heaven with the skate shop as well and is now asking how many chores he has to do to buy purple rainbow wheels for his board.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

adhuin posted:

And now for something completely different... Andy Anderson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHCbbjuQu4M

Freestyle contests look really fun and weird.

Dammit, that event was sorta local to me and I had no idea.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1umWVDVwy0&t=143s

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I tried out some Pepper Griptape because their team seems stacked and I'm an idiot, it might as well be called "Paper Grip" because that's how thin it is. It was kind of a pain to put on because it's so thin that when you try to cut it from your board with a razor blade the grip keeps falling on to your hand and getting stuck, so you are continually fighting with it. I've never had this trouble with MOB.
but the final nail in the coffin is that if the board lands upside down on something, even just a wooden edge, it's gashing the grip tape, just cutting all the way through. It's not great folks!

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
Any one in the Harrisburg PA area wanna skate with a 35 year old noob? I have a CCS board from like 2006 that I used a couple times in college. I just dug it out, and it still seems good. I'm actually meeting with one of my old friends this weekend to try to get some basics down, but after that I'm looking for some low key skate buddies. Still nervous about crowded parks and even just pushing around in public really. (wouldn't be a proper goon without crippling social anxiety!) I'm hoping people know good spots or parks I could meet at, preferably early mornings on the weekends.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend's kid went to the skate shop today and did a custom build and a helmet/wrist guards. He's absolutely stoked about it!

We'll have to grab him some elbow and knee pads in the not too distant future but the shop said they got the most important stuff at least.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Prince Reggie K posted:

Any one in the Harrisburg PA area wanna skate with a 35 year old noob? I have a CCS board from like 2006 that I used a couple times in college. I just dug it out, and it still seems good. I'm actually meeting with one of my old friends this weekend to try to get some basics down, but after that I'm looking for some low key skate buddies. Still nervous about crowded parks and even just pushing around in public really. (wouldn't be a proper goon without crippling social anxiety!) I'm hoping people know good spots or parks I could meet at, preferably early mornings on the weekends.

I’m not local but my advice would be to go ahead and get out to a park in the mornings, you will probably run into like minded people who are chill and trying to avoid the crowds just like you. The cool thing about skateboarding is you can chat for a second and then just roll away. I would not have many friends at all at this point were it not for the fact that skating brings the weirdos together.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Ellis Frost is one of those people who personify how far the bar has raised these days.

This is utterly bonkers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g9f5lt3vNI

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

jiggerypokery posted:

Ellis Frost is one of those people who personify how far the bar has raised these days.

what in the absolute gently caress

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

XIII posted:

what in the absolute gently caress

I'm convinced that that person doesn't actually know how to skateboard, they are just the luckiest human alive and no matter how they randomly flail, they land back on the board.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
that one foot hop thing he does at like 84 seconds in just seems like voodoo jesus

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

jiggerypokery posted:

woah

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

holy poo poo

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

What an awesome fun video, love that guy's attitude

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That video is bonkers.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004