Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Artelier posted:

I have just bought my first skateboard, and have zero skateboarding experience. Gonna be looking up beginner skateboard tutorials tonight in preparation. Anything I should know that might not be immediately obvious? OP doesn't seem to list anything in particular.

The guy at the shop told me where to place my feet, how to stand, how to push. However, he said, when first starting out, do it by a wall, and just stand until comfortable, then push by the wall, then only push without wall, to get accustomed to it.

Scared and excited!

Leaning forward is alway preferable to leaning backward. Doubly so for falling. The idea is your centr of gravity is high and you're always moving forward, so to achieve balance front to back you need your weight further forward than your centre to compensate. I'm bad at explaining it.

Learn to brake and practice braking regularly

Video yourself to identify where you can improve your form

Wear safety gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Keep your weight on your front foot is what I learned from snowboarding, and it really helped with what Laserface is talking about with leaning forward on a skateboard.

I’ve only been at it for a year, but constantly practicing weighting that front foot, especially when pushing, by taking my rear foot completely off the board and just balancing with knee bent has been the most helpful thing in establishing good balance.

Get a good helmet, wear it all the time. Your first few falls, you’ll be on the ground before you realize what happened. Wrists, elbows, and knees like padding too.

Watch lots of skateboarding videos of all kinds and stay hyped!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Find someone else who wants to learn how to skate too if you can.

You'll never progress and start going off like you will when other people are progressing and going off around you. It's the drat truth.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Like others said, wear safety gear when starting out: helmet, knee, elbow, wrists.

When you fall, make sure to take the fall on your safety gear and roll with your momentum. Sticking out your hands to cushion the fall will be an intuitive reaction but it's also an easy way to break your wrist and fingers.

After getting comfortable pushing in your natural stance, make an effort to become familiar with riding and pushing switch. There's no need to learn switch tricks but riding switch is tremendously helpful to keep skating without constantly adjusting yourself.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the advise everyone, especially the leaning forward bit! Just spent an hour standing and pushing by a wall at the house. Not so good at the transitioning between foot facing front and then sideways so haven't gone beyond that yet.

How do you guys choose a front foot? Do you just go with whatever's more comfortable? Both are pretty solid to me so I guess I can just choose whichever?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you were going to jump and slide on ice in the street, which foot would you put in front?

That's the foot that should be in front for you.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

First one that goes up stairs is often a good way too. Walk towards some stairs two or three times. One foot will want to go up first

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I don't know if it's supposed to be a conscious decision. It's kind of how like I don't think anyone consciously chooses to push mongo, I think it just happens.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Another test you can try is to stand upright on the ground facing forward and have someone behind you give you a push with just enough force that you have to step forward to avoid falling over. Whatever foot naturally goes forward first is your front foot.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I try that and always put my right foot forward even though I'm regular, but I started out pushing mongo so :shrug:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

gay for gacha posted:

I don't know if it's supposed to be a conscious decision. It's kind of how like I don't think anyone consciously chooses to push mongo, I think it just happens.

I'm convinced razor scooters make kids push mongo. I'm serious.
Those scooters are easier to push with your front foot.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
to me it makes sense for your back foot to be the stronger/dominant foot.
If you were going to jump over a creek which foot would do most of the jumping and which foot do you lead with with?
For me I would lead/land with my front foot and jump off my push foot.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

UFOTacoMan posted:

to me it makes sense for your back foot to be the stronger/dominant foot.
If you were going to jump over a creek which foot would do most of the jumping and which foot do you lead with with?
For me I would lead/land with my front foot and jump off my push foot.

I'm goofy foot and would lead and push off with my right foot.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

thanks for the advice everyone! settled on goofy footing for now - all my pads came and i tool them out for a spin on the streets today! i can push off from neutral consistently enough but not used to switching back to pushing mid-motion so that's my next goal, to maintain some speed over a longer distance

also learned how to brake but i already know this is going to chew up my left shoe... not confident in pushing the back of the board down yet

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssEXGIl-N8E

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
finally found the skate thread! just started and im goofy, can only ollie in nollie stance though wtf, like my popping foot is also the leading one if that is right

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That's actually not a terrible problem to have. Start learning to skate switch now if you can.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I've reposted this a few times in the MTB and inline skating threads looking for a skateboard thread-- turns out it wasn't in TGO!

I, a 35 year old adult, bought this skateboard back in March of 2021, but it wound up taking like 9 months to be manufactured and delivered. Supply chain, yada yada.

I don't want to hurt myself so I need to buy some knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, and a helmet that's not certified for bicycles only.

Looking at padding, the POC VPD line of mountain bike pads seem to be some of the highest rated for impact protection. I was thinking about buying the POC VPD Lite models since they have a plastic exterior shell that should would be better for impact with pavement and allow some sliding instead of grabbing:

https://na.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-armor/products/vpd-system-lite-knee?variant=35593027387558
https://na.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-armor/products/vpd-system-lite-elbow?variant=35593026601126

I think I read that the VPD 2.0 has a higher CE/impact rating, but the fabric shell would probably not slide against pavement.

I mention the VPD 2.0 because that's about the only pads my local REI had for sale. I tried them on in store and walked around briefly and they felt pretty light and flexible. Presumably the hard-shell VPD Light is a bit stiffer, but presumably I could still skate with them.

I checked out another sporting goods store for pads, but about all they had in stock were a no-name multipack for children-- not even Pro Tec or some other known brand.

As for wrist guards, I was thinking about these Triple 8 glove wrist guards. Mostly they remind me of some glove-style wrist guards I had as a kid when I was rollerblading, and I'm all for a little more protection of my palms and fingers, if minimal.

Lastly for a helmet, I'm looking for some MIPS skate, or multisport helmet, but I'm not sure what to pick.

Any suggestions or advice? I'm in central Texas, so we have bipolar weather. It can be pretty cold, or well over 100 F. Although, when it's that hot you just don't go outside.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

MetaJew posted:

I've reposted this a few times in the MTB and inline skating threads looking for a skateboard thread-- turns out it wasn't in TGO!

I, a 35 year old adult, bought this skateboard back in March of 2021, but it wound up taking like 9 months to be manufactured and delivered. Supply chain, yada yada.

I don't want to hurt myself so I need to buy some knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, and a helmet that's not certified for bicycles only.

Looking at padding, the POC VPD line of mountain bike pads seem to be some of the highest rated for impact protection. I was thinking about buying the POC VPD Lite models since they have a plastic exterior shell that should would be better for impact with pavement and allow some sliding instead of grabbing:

https://na.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-armor/products/vpd-system-lite-knee?variant=35593027387558
https://na.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-armor/products/vpd-system-lite-elbow?variant=35593026601126

I think I read that the VPD 2.0 has a higher CE/impact rating, but the fabric shell would probably not slide against pavement.

I mention the VPD 2.0 because that's about the only pads my local REI had for sale. I tried them on in store and walked around briefly and they felt pretty light and flexible. Presumably the hard-shell VPD Light is a bit stiffer, but presumably I could still skate with them.

I checked out another sporting goods store for pads, but about all they had in stock were a no-name multipack for children-- not even Pro Tec or some other known brand.

As for wrist guards, I was thinking about these Triple 8 glove wrist guards. Mostly they remind me of some glove-style wrist guards I had as a kid when I was rollerblading, and I'm all for a little more protection of my palms and fingers, if minimal.

Lastly for a helmet, I'm looking for some MIPS skate, or multisport helmet, but I'm not sure what to pick.

Any suggestions or advice? I'm in central Texas, so we have bipolar weather. It can be pretty cold, or well over 100 F. Although, when it's that hot you just don't go outside.

I started skating tranny recently, and I bought these pads: https://187killerpads.com/collections/pads/products/pro-knee-pad-black?variant=33959867646092 I also bought their line of elbow and wrist pad. 10/10. It feels like its made for skateboarding, can go over or under pants, and the pad part sort of floats indepdently so it gives me some freedom if I want to skate off the tranny and into the street part without taking all of my pads off. As for helmets, I don't really wear any (because I'm dumb), but I do have one I just don't know if I would recommend it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

gay for gacha posted:

I started skating tranny recently, and I bought these pads: https://187killerpads.com/collections/pads/products/pro-knee-pad-black?variant=33959867646092 I also bought their line of elbow and wrist pad. 10/10. It feels like its made for skateboarding, can go over or under pants, and the pad part sort of floats indepdently so it gives me some freedom if I want to skate off the tranny and into the street part without taking all of my pads off. As for helmets, I don't really wear any (because I'm dumb), but I do have one I just don't know if I would recommend it.

Hm, those 187 pads look good and being specifically designed for skateboarding is a plus. I still wonder if the POC pads may offer a higher level of protection -- but that's simply because they state to have either Level 1 or Level 2 certification.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. I have no idea what decision to make now. :)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'd buy the skate pads made by a skate company rather than the mountain biking pads made by a mountain biking company but that's just me.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'd buy the skate pads made by a skate company rather than the mountain biking pads made by a mountain biking company but that's just me.

We're not in disagreement, I'm just saying that having some kind of safety testing cert to back up your safety equipment is cool and good.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

MetaJew posted:

Are you learning to skate or do you have prior experience?

I don't recommend you get vert/park kneepads because they are really meant for you to slide away. They also kind of require you to know how to fall too.

If you're not doing downhill or anything with meaningful height or speed you can use slimmer pads.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

osker posted:

Are you learning to skate or do you have prior experience?

I don't recommend you get vert/park kneepads because they are really meant for you to slide away. They also kind of require you to know how to fall too.

If you're not doing downhill or anything with meaningful height or speed you can use slimmer pads.

I'm just learning to ride. I don't plan on going to any skate parks or riding vert, or downhill. I just bought it as a fun way to cruise around my neighborhood and an alternative way to get some exercise.

What pads do you suggest looking at?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

MetaJew posted:

I'm just learning to ride. I don't plan on going to any skate parks or riding vert, or downhill. I just bought it as a fun way to cruise around my neighborhood and an alternative way to get some exercise.

You didn't ask me but I would still recommend the 187 wrist guards for street. I don't have any other recommendations though for cruising around.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

MetaJew posted:

I sincerely believe that lightweight pads, like mountain bike knee/elbow ones are sufficient. For the kind of cruising you're doing I found that park/vert knee pads make it tougher to learn how to properly run out or roll when you bail/fall.
For helmets I've always used one of those Berns, which have dogshit ventilation compared to cycling helmets, but I'm an old dipshit who only wears one when I'm skating a park.

I have been skating since I was 6, and only use pads when skating vert or transitions so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

osker fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 31, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I got a Smith Express for a dual purpose helmet but mainly with cruising on a board in mind. It’s not really designed for skating, but it’s got MIPS, good occipital coverage, and doesn’t look out of place on a board. It’s also got a little blinking red light that slips into a vent in the back which is a little piece of mind for cruising at night. It was rated pretty decently for concussion abatement by the Virginia Tech helmet testing program if I recall correctly.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

osker posted:

I have been skating since I was 6, and only use pads when skating vert or transitions so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

This applies to me too. I bought pads for the first time within the last two years to skate tranny and vert.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Get a certified helmet, and also learn to fall. Wristguards reduce, but do not totally prevent, you from breaking your wrists. It's just as important to learn how to roll instead of sticking your hands straight out, and how to roll backwards so that your head doesn't slam into the pavement.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Ben Raybourn has resurfaced

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZec4sCA6R4/?utm_medium=share_sheet

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

thetan_guy42 posted:

finally found the skate thread! just started and im goofy, can only ollie in nollie stance though wtf, like my popping foot is also the leading one if that is right

This is exactly how I started when I was a kid pushing around the local skatepark - rode goofy, but could only pop an ollie consistently with my right foot.

tl;dr I learned to skate regular and now I don't ride goofy anymore. your mileage may vary

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

How do you all feel about carpet boarding? Weather is poo poo round here in the winter months, and any covered places I'll get kicked out of pretty sharpish. I've just been screwing around with an old deck on the carpet, working on all the shuvit stuff I'm crap at. Does this translate across at all?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It's fun at least? It can't hurt.

You might consider getting a tiny trampoline to do it on too.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

It's fun at least? It can't hurt.

This is really the question I should be asking myself - and it is :)

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the only caveat about carpet boarding is that you are pretty much never ever going to be doing a trick stationary once you get out of the house, and carpet boarding deprives you of learning to effectively stay over the board while moving forwards or backwards. but it's a good way to practice the mechanics of different tricks if you're really itching to flip wood

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

barnold posted:

the only caveat about carpet boarding is that you are pretty much never ever going to be doing a trick stationary once you get out of the house, and carpet boarding deprives you of learning to effectively stay over the board while moving forwards or backwards. but it's a good way to practice the mechanics of different tricks if you're really itching to flip wood

So basically they should carpet board down the stairs.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Lumpy posted:

So basically they should carpet board down the stairs.

:hmmyes:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

mein GOTT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qVrhIxDtPM

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I love clips like this even more than just the trick when it's in a part.