Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Whalley posted:

Adam Simoni

That 360 kickflip to shove-it he does at 1:36 is loving unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Whalley posted:

I guess nowadays to even be noticed as an up and coming skater, you've got to do tres out of huge lipslides, blunt-to-crook like it ain't no thing and bigspin into huge banks. I'm glad I started skating too old to try and go pro because gently caress.

This is the loving truth. I had this moment early in the summer where I skated up this incline and did a casper 180 out and back down. A handful of kids were asking me what the hell it was, then proceeded to do tres down a 5 set like it was their warmup.

I immmediately went home, sat on my porch, and yelled at people who walked on my sidewalk.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Whalley posted:

Andrew Reynolds isn't just "a skater" but yeah, I've seen that video before and it's pretty interesting.

Holy poo poo.

I totally loving glazed over that that was *the* Andrew Reynolds.

Wow.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
You can skate like Reynolds if you just eat lots of fruit (source: Forest Edwards).

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Slotducks posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGoThGmTtF4

Pretty cool 13 minute video on a skater with OCDesque tendencies who is never quite happy with the tricks he does.

Some of the stuff he ends up nailing over and over and over again is pretty insane.

The video has been removed, but I wanna see it. Do you remember the name, or other details that can help me find a mirror?

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
My friends and I have a gentlemen's argreement that the trick counts even it a foot lands on the ground. Landing bolts is for suckers and people who value their knees!

Scrub skating til I die

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Greenplastic posted:

The video has been removed, but I wanna see it. Do you remember the name, or other details that can help me find a mirror?

Here's an Epicly Later'd that's pretty similar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b642MPgR4QU

The other video had more examples of his OCD rituals on tape though...

edit: Ohh here it is, this is what you want: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjIwMjI2MDQ4.html

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 3, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Thanks for re-linking. That video is great.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

someone help my friend gave me a thing, what do i do with it?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

someone help my friend gave me a thing, what do i do with it?

Carry it around in public for street cred

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

DELETED posted:

Carry it around in public for street cred

but really, what is that sort of board for? I've tried riding it on the hills around my house and I quickly accelerated to what I thought was terminal velocity, am I doing it wrong? :[

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

but really, what is that sort of board for? I've tried riding it on the hills around my house and I quickly accelerated to what I thought was terminal velocity, am I doing it wrong? :[

I don't really do downhill riding, but as a guess I would say try a less-steep hill first.

Oh, and please wear a helmet.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

accelerated to what I thought was terminal velocity

Do it in a close pack with other people. And helmets.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The new skate park Grind Line built in Seattle is so. loving. dope.

1) It's huge.

2) It's huge enough they they could throw in all sorts of small rad poo poo that just wouldn't work in a small space.

3) The lines you'll be able to put together whipping through this thing are going to be insane.

Check it out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

gently caress I just want to spend all day here:

http://i.imgur.com/KIddQh.jpg

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 6, 2011

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

1) It's huge.

2) It's huge enough they they could throw in all sorts of small rad poo poo that just wouldn't work in a small space.

3) The lines you'll be able to put together whipping through this thing are going to be insane.

Check it out.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa gently caress I'm going to move to Seattle now.

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

Bucket Joneses posted:

1) It's huge.

Check it out.

drat you Americans getting all the cool parks

I can't help but think that if there was a park like this near me I would actually go out and skate. Unfortunately I'm stuck in the UK. The only skate park near me is really more suited to BMXers and rollerbladers.

What I wouldn't give for a nice concrete pool to mess around in.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Did you get speed wobble? Just FYI there is no such thing as "too fast for the board to handle." It's all about you and how comfortable you are at high speeds. I've seen people do 50mph on mini-boards. Your board is just a regular cruiser board for skating around. Try smaller hills, learn to carve better and ride more confidently, then move on to bigger and better hills.

Looks like your friend took good care of it, however I'm sure it could use new barrings or at least a good cleaning. Buy some lighter fluid and clean out the barrings.

Get some slide gloves and learn to drift. You're gonna destroy your first pair of gloves learning to drift, so I suggest buying the super cheap Gravity slide gloves, or going to Home Deopt and buying work gloves and ceramic floor tile samples to hot glue to the gloves.

The sooner you learn to drift/slide/stop without using the bottom of your shoe or bailing, the better you'll get. It's so much more fun when you don't have to rule out massive hills because they have an intersection at the bottom. When you see a car coming, you can just slide to a stop, flip up your board and get out of the way. Also, you can go faster without fear of going too fast to stop.

Speaking of gloves, I just got these.

I'm so glad I didn't settle for yet another pair of gravity cheap-os or those lovely Landyachtz gloves with no finger pucks. They are incredibly comfortable, breathable, and they refuse to rip.

ZanderZ fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 6, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

ZanderZ posted:

Did you get speed wobble? Just FYI there is no such thing as "too fast for the board to handle." It's all about you and how comfortable you are at high speeds. I've seen people do 50mph on mini-boards. Your board is just a regular cruiser board for skating around. Try smaller hills, learn to carve better and ride more confidently, then move on to bigger and better hills.

Looks like your friend took good care of it, however I'm sure it could use new barrings or at least a good cleaning. Buy some lighter fluid and clean out the barrings.

Get some slide gloves and learn to drift. You're gonna destroy your first pair of gloves learning to drift, so I suggest buying the super cheap Gravity slide gloves, or going to Home Deopt and buying work gloves and ceramic floor tile samples to hot glue to the gloves.

The sooner you learn to drift/slide/stop without using the bottom of your shoe or bailing, the better you'll get. It's so much more fun when you don't have to rule out massive hills because they have an intersection at the bottom. When you see a car coming, you can just slide to a stop, flip up your board and get out of the way. Also, you can go faster without fear of going too fast to stop.

Yeah, I got some speed wobble. Or a lot. I didn't really get to go out and try anything today because it was raining, but I'll keep all this in mind. Thanks a lot.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
Busted up my wrist and my hip feels like there is a rock in it but I was gonna land that son of a bitch hell or high water.

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

Yolkz posted:

Lookin rad, good luck with getting this down, looks awesome.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Probably should have mentioned this early but come check it out in Iowa, St. Louis, and New Orleans if you can. My friend has been working on this forever and it was surreal seeing the full barge park when it was just a joke between a few people just a few years ago...joking about how fun it would be while we sat in a diner shooting the poo poo.

http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/Mississippi-Grind-2011/001243068144831

Already left the twin cities.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Andy Roy teaches kids to skate. Terrifying, but kinda awesome: http://youtu.be/y97ZsKtEwXM

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I've had a Landyachtz board for about two years now. I just got some new Venom bushings to replace the terrible rounded off ones in my Bear trucks this week and goddamn does it make a difference! I picked up some 88a wheels and some slide gloves too, now I just need to keep forcing myself to slide until I get it down.

Rygar
Aug 25, 2002

For those interested, the goon skate shop discount is back. Here is the new thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437346

To the guys asking for Landyachtz stuff, we managed to get 6 different complete boards from them.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

Yerok posted:

I picked up some 88a wheels and some slide gloves too, now I just need to keep forcing myself to slide until I get it down.

What wheels did you get? Learning to slide is fun. I learned on these.

http://www.sk8trip.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=sb5780Set&Category_Code=softballz

You'll core them in about 4 months if you skate frequently, but they're worth it.

Just remember. The farther you extend your legs, the farther you'll slide.

Bipperjuice
Aug 13, 2010

Yolkz posted:

Busted up my wrist and my hip feels like there is a rock in it but I was gonna land that son of a bitch hell or high water.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that SPoT?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

ZanderZ posted:

What wheels did you get? Learning to slide is fun. I learned on these.

http://www.sk8trip.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=sb5780Set&Category_Code=softballz

You'll core them in about 4 months if you skate frequently, but they're worth it.

Just remember. The farther you extend your legs, the farther you'll slide.

I got some very used 88a Abec Grippins. They actually grip pretty drat hard because of the urethane formula. Coleman slides are pretty easy, but standups take a lot of force and it gets kinda sketchy once they're warmed up and even grippier. After getting colemans (mostly) down I decided to pick up a new deck that's symmetrical and some 82a Zombie Hawgs and holy poo poo are they fun to slide!

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

Yerok posted:

I got some very used 88a Abec Grippins. They actually grip pretty drat hard because of the urethane formula. Coleman slides are pretty easy, but standups take a lot of force and it gets kinda sketchy once they're warmed up and even grippier. After getting colemans (mostly) down I decided to pick up a new deck that's symmetrical and some 82a Zombie Hawgs and holy poo poo are they fun to slide!

82a Zombie Hawgs are my favorite wheels so far. They might not last long, but they are the perfect grip to slide ratio.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Spent some time at the new park this morning playing with my new camera. It just made me realize how much I need a fish eye.

http://imgur.com/a/KB0w4

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Marginal Way, assholes

Peep the conduit and lighting. Just gotta get my own generator now.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Bucket Joneses posted:

Spent some time at the new park this morning playing with my new camera. It just made me realize how much I need a fish eye.

http://imgur.com/a/KB0w4

haha, why does every skateboarding video seemed to be filmed in fish-eye?

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

hunter x az posted:

haha, why does every skateboarding video seemed to be filmed in fish-eye?

It provides a wider field of view, so when the person fillming is rolling along/shooting they can stay right up close to the action while still capturing the entire shot.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

Bucket Joneses posted:

Marginal Way, assholes

Peep the conduit and lighting. Just gotta get my own generator now.
Wow, that park has really come a long way. Also kind of surprised how empty Delridge looks in those pictures. Is that the super early morning or something?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That was around 11:00 in the morning or something.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

You know those videos that just look like everyone is having the time of their loving lives?

https://vimeo.com/29353385

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Went to the skate park for the first time in about 12 years today. Got a nice action shot.

http://i.imgur.com/KZN3M.jpg

I wish we had digital cameras back when I was skateboarding.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
By the way, this poo poo hurts. http://i.imgur.com/TP0RS.jpg

How can I prevent this? Is there like an ankle guard or something?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

hunter x az posted:

By the way, this poo poo hurts. http://i.imgur.com/TP0RS.jpg

How can I prevent this? Is there like an ankle guard or something?

High tops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

ZanderZ posted:

82a Zombie Hawgs are my favorite wheels so far. They might not last long, but they are the perfect grip to slide ratio.

Too true. Forgot to rotate them earlier this week and I noticed after a couple days of hard riding that my left rear wheel had coned slightly from coleman slides :argh:. Snow should be here soon enough though, so they'll do their job. I think I might look into a set of those 80a subLimes if they're only $32 a set online.