Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Killer Table Leg posted:

I just bought That's It, That's All on bluray, which is a super hi definition snowboard video, are there any awesome skate videos in bluray? If not what are some good skate videos to watch?

Fully Flared was/is the biggest skateboard video release of the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I don't see how anyone can hate on Koston for any reason for what he did. Nor do I see how it sucks in any way.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Shortymrbig posted:

What's up with this Street Dreams movie? I've never seen any skate movie in my life so I have nothing to compare it too.

It's a huge piece of poo poo that looks hilariously bad.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
This might come off as some bitter skater dude but yeah, that thing looks really stupid.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Go rent Gleaming the Cube!! Or check out David Spade skateboarding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROPhpIpmWus

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

open24hours posted:

You'd have to be skating incredibly hard or have awful technique to go through boards that quickly. I've been skating for about 15 years and get a new board about once a year. Even when I was younger and used to throw myself down stairs It was only like once every six months.

Okay I'm going to have to respectfully but completely disagree. If you are skating a ton (which of course is an extremely subjective word) you can expect to go through decks fast. 1 new board a year would be on the far low end if you're skating a good amount...technique aside.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Dear Neckbeards with Broken wrists,

If you live in the Twin Cities feel free to come out to this. Movie I worked on is finally coming out/getting a premiere.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Hey sorry guys don't mean to spam this thread but once more this coming friday if you live in the Twin Cities check this out. Free entry. Something I helped work on.

http://vimeo.com/6862956

http://www.feelinminnesota.com/

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

zeroordie posted:

There's definitely some legit poo poo in this, what did you help with?

I didn't have a specific title and I hate using the word "producer" but basically I helped with some of the concepts of the video (although the two main guys Benji Meyer and Darin Limvere are without a doubt the creative directors and the two responsible for this coming out the way it did), lots of time spent helping building the stuff/putting it together/tearing down the stuff, did some photography for it, messed with some of the random shoots and what not. I mean basically lots of random work.

We built a mini-ramp in a corn field and that was by far the most exhausting/demanding shoot.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 13, 2009

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
By the way one of the dudes in the Red bull video is CJ Tamborino who just won DC's King of chicago and just had a Skateboard mag Minute.

http://theskateboardmag.com/watch/cj-tambornino/

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
If you go to https://www.feelinminnesota.com now you can watch the entire movie now.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Here is some random behind the scenes footage of how the Fall shoot in that video kind of went down. Just a goofy behind the scenes montage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBDO4xaMDG4

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
They're totally different. Plus, you'll drop in and then smash your face with rollerblades and not a skateboard...so that will be consistent.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
There are multiple reasons why indoor parks typically fail. The first and largest hurdle is to get starting capital. The second part comes down to the owners. Now I don't want to paint with too large a brush but largely, the people who decide to open a park are not business people first but rather skaters first. Which is to say their heart is in the right place but the have no clue how to run a business.

It is not a "If you build it they will come situation." People don't immediately rush to the new park just because its there.

Secondly, there are typically huge issues/hassles in getting set up and setting up the proper insurance/liability waiver situations. Often the location will suck as well because most people don't want a skatepark indoor or outdoor near their homes because its going to end up with a lot of groms loitering.

Lastly, if you dont' have a good design and flow for the park word will get out and consider yourself DOA.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
If you're grip tape gets really dirty and has crap on it then just rip off the old tape and put on new stuff. A new roll of grip is cheap and worth it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Don't take this the wrong way but you're a bit heavier. If you land hard in the center of the board or the lips you could be in a bit of trouble. Boards are pretty drat sturdy though so I wouldn't honestly worry too much about weight until you start going down stair sets.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Do your feet start hurting in response to you pushing off or just from the act of your feet riding on the board?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Keep in mind if you're trying to learn there are certainly more conducive surfaces than others. A regular concrete road/sidewalk will be more difficult to learn on then say a wood ramp surface like masonite or a smoother sealed concrete (liked you'd get at a park/indoor surface).

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Minimaul posted:

ah, memories...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhLBTYLg_qE

David Spade rips!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROPhpIpmWus

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I worked on the Red Bull Illume project when it was in Minneapolis and we were putting up these big picture boxes on the stone arch bridge. Since it was partially obstructing the bike paths all the loving rear end in a top hat bikers in the Twin Cities got their poo poo all bunched up.

Of the course of a week they would spit on them all the time as they biked by. They yelled phrases such as "GET OFF MY BRIDGE" and in the middle of the night a biker with a sledge hammer biked by and slammed it through the face of one of the boxes.

For reference the Illume project showcases action sports photography and the boxes the photos are in are big black metal boxes with glass on two sides with huge photographs illuminated within them. The loving dude slammed a sledge hammer through a huge glass face and it had to be replaced.

I ride my bicycle a lot but a lot of them are arrogant assholes who think they're involved in some higher power movement.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Was down in Venice yesterday so I made this pano with my phone.

Click here for the full 1024x191 image.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Bucket Joneses posted:

It also produces hilarious poo poo like

Probably (most likely) fake but I've seen weirder poo poo.

It is fake. You can tell even better in the actual video clip as opposed to the gif. But there is clearly a cut.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Pretty much everyone is/has moved to HD. The reason Fully Flared wasn't is because they had some many people contributing footage over such a long period of time. It seems like most people are using the HVX200 but I swear I read a few 3D movies are in the works. I know panasonic has a new HD Rig that is a single enclosure unit. I saw some guys shooting with it in Santa Monica last week but that thing is something like 20,000 per unit.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

RobotEmpire posted:

what is with you and explosions

it won't be long before the slalom events are on ESPN2 and eventually part of X Games. Not sure why they're not already. It's super fast, accidents are heinous, and so on. It'll experience a couple summers of booming before leveling off and becoming a 'regular' extreme sport that everyone knows about like vert or what have you. I can see it being a summer Olympics competition in 10-20 years.

It was at one point on the X games way back when ESPN 2 was known as the deuce and when the X-Games included some lame rear end poo poo like sky surfing and other dumb stuff.

I'm not really thinking there is some sort of longboard scene though.

And it won't help local skate shops bottom lines. The money for skate shops is all in shoes and clothing.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

I just learned what a "mall grab" is. Do people actually care about silly things like that?

Yes and no. It is what it is but like most things with skateboarding it still exists.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It's just busting balls.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I've seen that kid down in Venice before. Kid rips.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Zigmidge posted:

http://business.transworld.net/59632/features/2011-transworld-business-skate-retail-survey-methodology/

What a crock of bullshit.

"We hate your sport because we're an industry of huge drama queens, but we'll still take your money!"

I think you mean its bullshit because, "We hate a specific type of people (jock bro's) but we'll still take their money."

And its not hard to see why there is/was/still is that mentality. Skateboarding for a lot of the people who started those shops came up in a time when skateboarding was still a bit off the radar. Especially if they stayed skating through the late 80's in to the early 90's there was a heavy mentality that if you skateboarded you were in fact not cool and that the "JOCKS" (I use that in the most general way it is used) hated on you.

Skateboarding like any other popular thing works on the concept of exclusion as well. So seeing some 'turd' riding a long board is an easy target to mock and hate on.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Well I'm sorry your local scene is poo poo. I'm sure the reason Transworld used the wording it did is because its an inside industry analysis. This isn't someone from the outside simply looking at numbers and they know credibility is very important in this line of work.

I've talked first hand with a couple owners of local skateshops and you're obviously right about profit margins. Its not on boards or hardware. It's on apparel. Namely shoes and to a lesser extent if you can extend your shop as a brand, clothing. And I'll disagree on you assessment some. THere are lots of guys who run stores and who are still about the scene, the sport, whatever you want to call it. You have to treat it as a passion but also branch out. You can't exist on your own as a straight up shop these days unless you're being fronted by a rich pro or two. It's cliche as gently caress, but if you're genuinely pouring your heart in to things it doesn't have to JUST be about dollars. And I'm fortunate to have met some people like that. The business side can turn you in to an rear end in a top hat and make you bitter too.

Also, I'm going to paint with a wide brush too. Lot's of people on longboards are in fact turds! Not all...but it certainly rates higher. But at the same time I'm not about to say, don't buy one, or gently caress that guy for going there. I don't care what people ride on and I don't get caught up in some of that stupid stuff. I will just laugh about it to myself.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Put together a cruiser board. Longboards are honestly not that loving convenient. They're really big and they don't turn well...which is to say they turn but quite wide and if you're just going to be on sidewalks in Los Angeles I would suggest not getting one. IN fact you could just buy a regular board and through on some big wheels on it. That way you could switch it up if you ever wanted to do anything else on it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Zigmidge posted:

Set your board up right and try again. A "regular" board , that's rich.

*edit to be less trolly

That's a pretty generalized post that doesn't say very much about wide range of boards only to finish off with "Heh, get a REAL board :smug:". Try loosening your trucks or get softer bushings, use cones instead of barrels. Get a shorter longboard, learn how to carve or speed check at slow speeds. Buy a cruiser, buy a flexy board, buy a deck with a kicktail. You have so many options to fix your problem.

Considering just how fast a "regular" board will go, longboards are loving convenient.

I didn't intend my post to come off as smug. But I guess you seem to have a gigantic stick up your rear end or something. A longboard isn't as convenient to just hop off of and go to a movie, or walk into a store or something. This isn't semantics. I'm not suggeting that a longboard makes you a retard or that they are impossible to wield in public. I was simply suggesting that it may be slightly more convenient for someone who is using a board heavily as a means of transportation. Which is something I did for a couple years in Los Angeles.

But please, continue to rage about some insult that I didn't even hurl.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Probably should have mentioned this early but come check it out in Iowa, St. Louis, and New Orleans if you can. My friend has been working on this forever and it was surreal seeing the full barge park when it was just a joke between a few people just a few years ago...joking about how fun it would be while we sat in a diner shooting the poo poo.

http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/Mississippi-Grind-2011/001243068144831

Already left the twin cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Horizontal Tree posted:

Wow, he's riding loving Kahas. I didn't think Kahalani's were still around. I really, really wanted a set of those back in the day.

Guess what angry street skater, your sport was grown out of something that was a shitload closer to longboarding and downhill than what people like you consider "real skating" these days. And all your posts prove are that you're a closed-minded rear end in a top hat in a community and sport that in my experience is the exact opposite. I used to street skate too, when I was a teenager. I was bad at it and could only do the basics, and I got around to and from school and various spots on a longboard. Then I started riding downhill and sliding and getting better at that side of skating and fell in love with it. Then I built a slalom board because why the gently caress not? There's no slalom riding or racing here and I didn't have cones or anything but why should I care, they're fun as hell to ride. How dare people do something DIFFERENT in the sport!?

Kook alert