Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I feel stupid arguing with police about skating places, now that I'm an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

any tips to nollie flips? I just can't get my other foot to flick.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Mincher posted:

My friends cousin destroying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoa8xhB15ck

And the slams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqwTqll355w

This guy rips hard!
I broke my board and my wrist today kickflip boardsliding a rail down some stairs today.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Here's a discussion topic: Blank Decks vs Pro Decks.

I personally would love to skate pro decks all the time, hell I love the feel of a brand new Baker, but the fact is I can get 6 blank decks for the price of two Bakers. Where a Baker might last me 3 weeks and then become completetly hosed with chips cracks and pop loss, a blank would last me two before going to poo poo.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

donJonSwan posted:

Hard not to laugh at people getting offended by calling something a regular board.

I'd get a "regular board" any day of the week if it prevented me from having to talk to the Silverfish crowd, sometimes I can't tell if they're talking about riding wood or installing drivers on a linux pc.

Dude I feel that. I absolutely hate the scenes that form around other types of skateboards. It's like they want to distance themselves from "regular boards" like it's the plague.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Yolkz posted:

This is my towns local cracked out Satepark well just the box anyways, tomorrow I'll show pictures of the rest of the park, there is the sketchiest concrete miniramp with a ramp going down the back side of it into a spine that is wayyy off target. You drat near need to make a 100 degree turn to hit it. I think it was designed by bikers, you can hardly get enough speed to go up the kicker to hit the rails. I love it though because I love skating sketchy stuff it just makes it feel more legit.

The mini ramp is where I busted my knee and teeth out :(

I skated for the first time in 2 years today I was able to bs 50-50 the rail bs noseslide it and 5-0. Pretty god drat good for my first day out, its like I haven't lost a step.

The cracks you see in the pavement are waaaaaaaay worse than they look in this picture, getting to every ramp or quarter pipe is a drat chore.

***Also reading through this thread how can any of you use Independent trucks? After you skate them for a while that drat kingpin will kill you on any round rail, are they the "In" truck? Destructo or Die MotherFuckers

I used to skate independent, but then I feebled this rail and the part that holds the kingpin broke! on the rail. I landed the feeble but I didn't roll away lol.

I'm currently skating these, and I must say they are the absolute best skateshoe I have ever had, and they look fly as gently caress. I've skated them for three days and they look brand new. It has like rubber and plastic at the front of the shoe so when I kickflip my shoe is still perfect. It has Kevlar and memory foam on the inside. Everyone at the park was gawkin my shoes yesterday.

hate going to the park and having some 14 year old ask me to play skate, and do all these flips named after animals that I don't really understand.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I can kickflip a curb when no one is looking, but if I take my board to class, and I see a curb on the way, it's just better to ollie up it and not look stupid if I don't land it.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Got in a small car chase with a public park ranger last night :| Ended up having to drive my car through the playground, because he was trying to box me in while he called the police. I've been going there every night after 10pm so that there aren't actual people using the playground and stuff, and every night he sees me, and I guess last night he just had enough. Wut evz, I'm going back tonight. It's a sweet spot and no other place has lights on after I get off work.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I forgot we had a skating thread. I just switched to an 8.5 deck this month. I have completely lost my ability to heel flip and when I try I have the tendency to credit card myself. Otherwise skating wide decks is so much fun especially for transition and honestly stairs. I can catch my kick flips way nicer than I could with 7.75. What do you guys skate?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

That curb was ridiculous but so was a Smith on that rail.

Hey where do you guys put your cellphones when you skate. Normally I put it in the pocket of my back foots leg. But I just got a new phone and it's massive and Im worried about breaking it. I skate a semi sketchy park so I can't put it in a bag away from me.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Re: phone talk I think I just won't bring it. Like in the good ol days. Might make me try some harder tricks. I wish I had a cool skate crew to skate with so we could just mind each other's bags. Thanks guys

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Have you guys seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdqCPPo0GT8

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Actually, quick edit. I just watched this today and it's really good: https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/ish-cepeda-s-dc-part/

e: oops. meant to edit not post.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I've been skating a lot lately. I really wanted to get better at transition this year but the first day I went I to a bowl I broke my hand, then when I skated a bowl a week later I broke my other hand because gently caress pool coping. So now I hit bowls and miniramps in the early morning so I can wear all the pads and then skate a street park at night with them off. I feel like an idiot because I get self conscious wearing pads but also I'm too old now to keep getting hurt, but not old enough to wear pads skating benches and ledges and small stairs. I'm basically just an idiot.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

scuz posted:

Bummer with pads is that I still managed to sprain my MCL trying to drop-in on our home-made quarter pipe not an hour after we finished it :smith:

My condolences that sounds so sad

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

That kick flip has to feel amazing. I can catch kickflips really nicely but add a bunch of speed and I get all messed up. Today I tried to kick flip into a nose slide with speed and smashed my ribs into the bank and what was crazy my shoe came off my foot and landed what felt like 50 feet behind me.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I've never seen a vert part more entertaining than this https://youtu.be/0AdYPSDjIc0

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Cool, thanks. As long as it doesn’t mean my trucks are too lose or something like that, it won’t bother me too much.

No such thing :coolfish:

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2017/01/18/the-pro-skaters-guide-to-loose-trucks/

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 20, 2021

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

jiggerypokery posted:

If anyone wants to recommend/link a complete setup or separate parts (think I remember how to put one together) I'll buy it. UK based supplier please! I need some appropriate shoes too

What are you going to use it for?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Any tips on front side airs in bowls? I can't get air at all. And if I go to fast I get kind of scared and bail at the coping.

Or better: how did you learn to air?

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 3, 2021

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pocket Billiards posted:

Made myself a board at 40 years of age for pushing around my car port trying to pick up where my teenage skate career finished (not able to do a kickturn on flat ground). I wanted to try harder bushes and softer wheels, I'm 6'2" and 240lbs.

8.5" board
Independent Trucks with 94A bushings
Bones Reds
Ricta 92A wheels

Most days I manage at least 1/2 an hour of just fooling around. Very happy with kickturn progress in backside direction and I feel my form in that direction is good enough to tic tac, only my frontside kickturns are horrific. I feel the harder bushings have made things much easier for me, if it's a crutch I don't mind because it took all of about 20 minutes to get comfortable pushing and steering after like 25 years of not even looking at a board.

You should try no-complys

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I wear a helmet when I skate transition but not street. I wear wrist guards always though. My wrists when I fall take a long time to heal and I need them for work.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pocket Billiards posted:

So what you're saying is you don't need your brain for work.

My 'street skating' isn't rad enough to injure my head anymore like it used to be.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

chaleski posted:

I used to watch Braille until one day I got an ad on YouTube from the Church of Scientology featuring Aaron Kyro talking about how great Scientology is and how it makes him skate better and I haven't watched Braille since

Hey I think I found it https://youtube.com/watch?v=clBtEd631i0

DUDE! Epically GNARLY skateboarder, teacher, Braille entrepreneur (https://www.youtube.com/user/sprocker7) , & YouTube influencer w/3.5 Million subs, Aaron Kyro, debuts his 'Meet A Scientologist' episode TONIGHT, at 5 & 8PM PDT!

WATCH 👀online at https://scientology.tv here on YouTube, at http://youtube.com/Scientology, via your favorite streaming devices, or on DIRECTV!

top comment lol

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Laserface posted:

What I want to know:
exercise drills - mostly i need advice on good balance and flexibility exercises to build strength in my joints because apparently none of the muscles I use for snowboarding get used for skateboarding. I see that some videos suggest standing one footed in a 'pushing stance' for balance prac. anything else? lunges I guess? core stuff? actual suggestions would be good as im pretty bad at 'exercise'.

thank you for reading and i will post injury photos as they come.

I stretch my ankles, my lower back and my hips. I do only active mobility stuff, like rolling my ankles around and making an alphabet pattern with them. I also do the stretch where I lay on my back and cradle my knees to my chest and twist. The big thing though, at least for me, is I warm up by skateboarding. After my ankles feel good, and my knees feel okay, I just skate around the park, push switch, crouch down. I know you can't do this on your board, but I also do some warm up tricks, very freely, maybe I'll bust a couple kick flips some 180s, etc. If I'm skating tranny I'll do some rock fakies, rock and rolls, small coping grinds.

I think warming up by skateboarding is more efficient for me. When I was younger I showed up to the park and just hit big fat tre's or grinded a rail or ledge but I can't do that anymore without warming up.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Also buy a helmet now so when you impulsively decide to go fast you can really let yourself go as fast as possible without worrying about not having a helmet. I don't wear a helmet when I skate flat stuff (because I'm dumb), but I always bring it.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I grew up skating when everyone was assholes (including me), but I still skate and everyone is so much nicer now, and everything is a lot different. There are a lot more non-male skaters and I don't see them getting any beef. At my park there are a lot of older than me guys, like 45+ 50+ that are wearing pads and coping grinding big things, hanging out with young 19 year olds doing the same thing. I think skateboarding right now is the best it's ever been as far as inclusion. I mean I see roller bladers hanging out in parks and nothing happening. When I was growing up roller bladers and bikers needed to hide otherwise some hyper aggressive guys would throw their boards at them and stuff. There is still an anti-bmx sentiment where I skate, but it's not aggressive.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Laserface posted:

Maybe it's because snow sports everyone is on holiday and there for a good time that it's always felt more inclusive and friendly to enter. Maybe that's why there's a ton of guys like who got into snowboarding instead of skating?

I think any sport where someone has the ability to command a board/bike/skates well is worthy of respect regardless. Even scooters guys are pulling tricks that look insane.

Might be a few years before that's in the olympics though.

Snowboarding is more gated than skateboarding. I always wanted to try snowboarding growing up but it was too expensive to even begin. You had to pay to access a ski slope, you needed winter gear, snowboard rentals, boots, goggles, and driving to a place. Skateboarding, once you have a board, the world is your skatepark. I'm sure there are other reasons why the snowboard community felt more inclusive. Outside of a ton of homophobia, which I think a lot of extreme sports suffered from back then, I think skateboarding was very inclusive to what probably boils down to people that fit a socioeconomic class.
I grew up poor, and so me and my friends had to wear shoes like this for months at a time, and we used to make fun of guys with new skateboarding shoes who couldn't skateboard well probably out of sheer jealousy. Maybe a little bit of that rudeness you've felt in the past is similar to the rudeness I have given to people.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I remember the first time Nike did skate shoes I thought they were super lame, but I bought some in 2011 and posted here about them:

gay for gacha posted:

I used to skate independent, but then I feebled this rail and the part that holds the kingpin broke! on the rail. I landed the feeble but I didn't roll away lol.

I'm currently skating these, and I must say they are the absolute best skateshoe I have ever had, and they look fly as gently caress. I've skated them for three days and they look brand new. It has like rubber and plastic at the front of the shoe so when I kickflip my shoe is still perfect. It has Kevlar and memory foam on the inside. Everyone at the park was gawkin my shoes yesterday.

hate going to the park and having some 14 year old ask me to play skate, and do all these flips named after animals that I don't really understand.

forgive me for the insufferable way I used to post. I believe at the time I played skate with a 14 year old who did a dolphin flip and I was kind of floored.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

That's crazy. A lot of skaters on Baker do hard time.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Altared State posted:

The only people close to Baker that were locked up was Antwuan Dixon and Ali Boulala, so not really. Terry quit Baker two years ago and posted a bunch of stuff about Andrew Reynolds.

I guess you are right, I thought Greco and Dollin went to jail but I looked it up and I guess they went to like overnight jail not locked up locked up. What did Terry say about Andrew?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I think the Baker guys, a lot of them at least, struggled with addiction. I remember Reynolds, Steamer, Greco, all went Sober around baker2g right?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

that guy makes me so stoked.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Laserface posted:

adjusting trucks - Tighter seems to be recommended for beginners and ive been getting wobbles at just faster than running speed.

is there a method to it? front/rear should be equal, how many 'turns' of the nut do you adjust at a time?

It's all feel. I would have them loose enough that you can force the wheel to touch the board with your hand and then adjust from there. If you find you can't go straight or are getting crazy wheel bite or are very heavy, tighten it. If you it's still so tight that you feel like you can't maneuver then losen it.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I just moved to a new city and the skatepark is a 5 minute skate from my house. I've been going on my lunch break and after work. I went tonight and the vibe was so different than my old local spot, fdr, the skatepark isn't gnarly or anything, but me and this guy were just doing back to back flip tricks over a traffic cone and it was just such a chill time. I haven't been good at heel flips since I started skating 8.5" but today I was just nailing them back to back over that traffic cone, I think in a few weeks they are going to be absolutely sick.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I also lift weights and run and find skateboarding to be a lot easier than when I didnt.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

You guys skating anything cool this weekend? Working on anything? The new park by my house has a small a-frame beside a ledge, I'm going to try and front side krook it all day today after work.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I didn't get that k grind. Too many scooters at the park.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Laserface posted:

I've just been practicing my pushing technique and working on my carving. 3 months of boarding every other day after basically never doing it prior and I'm feeling pretty decent now. Learning how to brake definitely has helped with confidence. Going to this big empty carpark at the Rec centre has too. It's full of other 30+ roller skaters/boarders just practicing fundamentals, and it's pretty great taking a few beers and a speaker and just hanging out with other people in that moment.

I thought skateboarding could be last mile transport but it's simply too difficult and too dangerous at my skill level to consider it so I'm keeping it as just a fun way to move my body and later, use it as an activity (eg. go skate along the beach/around the park)

I can feel that carving on a skateboard is going to improve my snowboard carving which is really what I wanted out of it so that's good too.

I'm not really into tricks but I might learn to Ollie since it definitely removes a lot of barriers. Probably slides too when I get comfortable at speed although I don't think my cruiser is really long enough and the wheels too soft. All in good time.

Ollies are great for commuting on a skateboard. Once you can get them to feel natural you can ollie over manhole covers, and up curbs while you are commuting on the skateboard. I always feel like Patrick Melcher in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89NjEeHku8o, when I'm going from point A to Point B on a skateboard. Ollie up a curb, ollie over a man hole, nose manual a cross walk. I don't think it's the most efficient way to commute, but it is by far the most fun. I know what you mean though, I see some people commuting on skateboards and you can tell they haven't been skating for a very long time and it looks dangerous when they can't slow down efficiently, or have to jump off the board while moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

that flogging molly video made me wonder what Patrick Melcher was up to. He's got a cool style now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR9FQC_hJJg I used to love his part in Black Label's Blackout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShSawGPcw50 but it feels like a completely different skater.