Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

So I got a wild hair up my rear end recently and decided I'd give skateboarding a try. I figured I'd save up some money and get myself a board in a month or two, but my girlfriend went out and got me a killer deck behind my back. For some reason I can't find pics of it on the element website, but it's a Shape #3 and it's green on top with clear griptape. Went out to a local shop and managed to fit it with shop bearings, blank wheels, and independent trucks for $80, which I found to be a drat good deal for my own complete.

I'm in the process of learning how to tic-tac in both directions effectively - right now I can only go in a continuous circle in the direction of my toes (backside?). I'm also starting to get a lot more comfortable on the board after some embarrassing low-speed rear end bustings - lean forward!

Anyway, figured I'd post here and say thanks, as this thread was my impetus to get into all this at 22. If there's anything I can count on from SA, it's the urge to pick up new hobbies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

donJonSwan posted:

Grats on your first board dude, super loving cool.

Try and get comfortable going faster as soon as possible, it sounds kind of silly, but the slower you go - the easier it is to fall.

Thanks for the tip! I've definitely noticed how easy it is to ground the tail while doing stuff at low speed, so I'll find a bigger spot to practice asap.

It took me three days but I finally started landing stationary ollies consistently. Not sure what I was doing before but it seems like it works best if my back foot is ON, but not hanging off the back of the tail. One question I have is regarding higher ollies: should I be doing the "jump" primarily with my front foot so that my back leg can kick down more quickly for extra pop? Its hard to analyze exactly what my feet are doing but the way I described kinda feels right.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

I'm also wondering if anybody has any tips for just riding around town on a board. On major streets I get a little nervous to be pushing around a little toothpick like I've got, and the way the sidewalks are designed, there's a lot of unevenness at every intersection - basically my board gets away from me a lot and I feel like a dork. Little help?

Also yesterday I thought I'd go down a short (steep) hill leading into my apartment complex, thought it was a great idea as I was zipping down... until I started getting crazy speed wobble and flew off my board and into the asphalt. More scars for the blood god!

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Surprise poo poo-eating is the best part!

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Does anybody have some advice about the order I shgould tackle different street tricks? I've heard shove-its are the easiest but beyond that I'm a bit stumped. I really like the look of the no comply though so I'm gonna try to learn fs and bs 180s with that so I'll have at least one impressive looking thing I can do for now.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Now that I've gone on a few multi-mile excursions on my board I feel a lot more comfortable just moving around in general. One thing I still need to work on is making quick turns at the bottom of a decline, which happens several times on my way to just about anywhere, it seems. Guess I'm still not comfortable enough to commit to those.

I think that once I start learning how to push the board around while riding switch I'll be able to go just about anywhere in town without getting too tired, I'm definitely loving this skateboard.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Shortymrbig posted:

You make me feel like a quitter, which I am anyways, but I've decided just to take my board with me to work and try my best to skate back home. That's gonna be my practice. I guess I'm just one for those kinda people who do better learning new things with people.

Also walking home in Vans is killing me.

Boarding to and from work makes work slightly less of a chore lately since I have something fun to do before and something to look forward to after.

enojy: I'll have to learn powerslides then. And get over the nerves I feel as soon as I start going down a hill faster than I can kick on level ground haha.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

enojy posted:

It's pretty easy and intuitive! Just ever so slightly lift the weight on your front foot and use your back foot to maneuver the tail to one side in one smooth motion. Make sure the front foot follows with the board as it turns. The front wheels should only leave the ground a smidge, if at all. You need to lean your weight in the opposite direction of travel in order to balance it all out, or else the wheels will grip and you will fall forward. Too much weight distribution to the rear, and the board will just slide out from under you. The faster you're going, the easier it is to powerslide.

Bombing hills still scares the poo poo out of me, but that's part of the fun. For some reason, falling at high speed isn't so bad. As long as you roll with it, you usually just end up with some annoying road rash for a week or two.

After I got a little bit more comfortable on my board and wanted a lot more turning capabilities, I loosened up my truck nuts as far as they go without coming off the bolt. Turning is now much faster and I can make much tighter turns as well. Went down some fairly steep gated community roads with a friend of mine yesterday and was able to carve them (and not die!). Rich people's roads are as smooth as butter.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

After riding my board for a few weeks I've started to develop very sharp pains in my right ankle, which seems to be caused/aggravated by pushing and riding over cracks in sidewalk. Is this just a phase I should work through or a sign of an injury? I took a few days off from riding to see if it would go away but it came back stronger the next time I rode.

Any advice would be helpful, it sucks to be missing out on riding while I'm still so motivated to learn.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Went to the skate shop to pick up some better bearings for my crappy wheels and ended up buying some huge soft wheels to go with them, it's really nice, being able to coast for a block or two. I know I'm going to have a pretty tough time doing any street skating with them though, they're heavy!

e: 62mm! starting to think I should have possibly picked out a smaller set, but I figure they'll wear down soon enough.

Zizzyx fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 14, 2009

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Sirkus posted:

High trucks + riser pads?

But still, you shouldn't be buying 62mm wheels for a street deck. It's weird the dude at the shop didn't say anything.

Low trucks, no riser pads, and yeah it's def weird he didn't say anything but I've been doing great(ish) with them so far. They go way faster than I can skate down any significant incline though. I haven't had much wheel bite so far, which I think is because my bushings are extremely hard - I have the kingpin nut flush with the bolt, but everybody still says I'm riding tight vOv. I'm probably going to leave them on because I can't really afford to buy things that I don't use. Any way I could get my money's worth out of them?

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

It took me about a month or so but I've finally learned how to ollie onto curbs, which feels pretty great to do. I swapped back out for my original smaller wheels with my new bearings, and I can definitely pop better, but I feel way slow. I'm going to get some wheels in between crazy big and too small next.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Just starting to get comfortable riding transition. The park in my town has transitions that go almost vertical while only being around 5 feet tall, so it was...difficult to start riding up and down them. I'm still not fully comfortable dropping in, but I can pump, ride back down fakie, and pivot (unless I went up fakie). I think once I can drop in smoothly I'll start trying to learn rocks and stalls.

Still can't even land a shove-it though, but I'm pretty close. Do most of the tricks get easier to learn after you can kickflip and pop shove? Also, I am completely unable at the moment to ollie in any stance but regular, is it going to get harder to learn switch/nollie/fakie the longer I wait?

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

As far as shove-its go, I got way better at popping big ones after I got my foot position down solid for varial kick flips. For me it's the exact same foot position on the lead foot except with a shove-it you don't flick your toe back. Just pop the tail and it floats around.

As far as learning nollie and switch ollies further along in your progression, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll just get frustrated not being able to do any tricks regular or switch so you might as well just be frustrated with one set of tricks. I've been skating for years and I'm only just now getting around to loving around with switch and nollie tricks. It doesn't seem too hard... it's sort of like learning to skate again but you know that your body is capable of doing it so it's not as discouraging.

The motion that's getting me the closest to landing it is as such: start with my back toes hanging off the board a bit, pop the tail on the ground, and then extend my foot like I'm doing a calf raise. I still can't land on it but it seems to get it spinning properly. I think I'll just have to try a few thousand more before I land one. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing axle stalls and rock&rolls before I ever land a flatground trick :(

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

I ate poo poo so hard yesterday on my way to the park that I destroyed the pants and sweater I was wearing, but I learned rock to fakie later that day so it's all good!

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Threw out my back for the first time at the ripe old age of 22 (moving a desk). How long is it gonna be til I'm back on my board?

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

I didn't see a specific response to the guy asking what was different about skate shoes that made them so much better - they're basically tank treads for your feet. I don't have a lot of pairs of shoes to test with but I'll never skate with any sort of cross-training/running shoes or the like again, the padding and stability that skate shoes give you is crucial.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

this is definitely off topic, but i'm looking to move to a new city where i don't know anybody and meet up with local skaters so that i have something fulfilling to do when i'm not working. i've always liked seattle, and i was wondering if any seattle skate goons had any advice for starting from scratch in the city.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

So you're looking to move to a new city and considering Seattle? If so, this is the best time of year to do that if you want to start skating right when you get here because the weather is clearing up and it's getting warmer all the time.

There are a handful of good public parks that are really fun. Woodland Park has one, Seattle Center has one, Ballard has a bowl if that's your thing, and there is always Marginal Way.

That all looks and sounds pretty great! The thing I'd be most concerned about, though, is the local job situation for non-college degree'd losers and the cost of living/housing. How is Seattle w/r/t those things?

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

a light shower happened while i was out riding and caused me to fall spectacularly while going down the entrance to my complex. i can't walk properly right now due to massive hip bruising and maybe a concussion. i also managed to get some huge unexplained blood blisters on the tips of my fingers while i was at it.

pray to the skateboard gods for my swift recovery!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

DELETED posted:

Yeah, just do it over and over again. You will scrape your knees and/or palms up.

Head injuries are no loving joke. People might talk a lot of poo poo, but it's worth it to wear a helmet. You can put neosporin on road rash and set a broken bone, but a traumatic brain injury can become your homie for life. I've bailed hard enough to have whiplash for several days, and I would be dead right now if I wasn't wearing a helmet. I'd rather look like a fag, wear a helmet and live to skate another day instead of literally ending up retarded. It's your call, but I personally don't gently caress with head injuries after seeing what they can do to someone. You might get away with a knot and a concussion, or your might end up needing assistance to walk and forgetting how to speak english. If you feel nauseous or oddly tired, go to the ER. A head injury can kill you several hours after the fact so go to the doctor if you're the least bit suspicious something is wrong.

thanks for the advice. i think i got lucky this time but it was really unsettling, it felt like i was skidding on the back of my head. it's the day after and it feels like i just got a bit of a scrape there. my hip and the finger blisters i'm worried more about at this point. gently caress water, though.