Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Rode like 5 miles on my longboard yesterday, very relaxing, lots of fun, lots of long smooth stretches of fresh blacktop to carve. But holy gently caress my left heel hurts from pumping so hard for so long. Time to buy new shoes. I know there are a lot of varying opinions on what shoes you can get, but are there any brands to just outright avoid?

RobotEmpire fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

I'm riding with some nike 6.0s right now and they are fantastic.

suede? I'm eyeballing these: http://shop.ccs.com/product/model:119229/sku:61-28121/?cm=shoes.guys.skate_shoes&supercat=Shoes

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Whalley posted:

I have a couple pairs of board flip ice creams that are as important to me as a drat skateboard when it comes to riding. They're like glue on the board and they're so incredibly padded and soft and you can pick up a drat pair on eBay for cheap as hell. They're a really comfortable shoe to skate in. If you can handle the way they look.

The other pair I've got is black, grey and pink and looks much less cartoony.

Thanks. I bought them nike 6.0s though! Hope they work out.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I got one of those "monster surfboard-shaped longboards" that I do several miles on a few times a week. Here's what I recommend:

Don't get a 'pumper,' one of those little decks with big wheels. As a newb it helped me to have a more forgiving, longer deck. It is a little stable and there's a little more wiggle room on foot placement with a bigger board.

Get a concave deck. I have a flat deck (Sector 9 Gremmie 36") and honestly it's murder on my feet. When I ride my normal skateboard that is a little concave, it's so much easier. Plus it's taken several long rides to break my board in to the point where it has some good flex. Make sure to get big, soft wheels so the little rocks in the ground (I call them teethbreakers) don't stop your board cold and send you flying.

When you are testing your candidate board make sure it flexes when you stand on it, it is a little concave (as if someone folded it a little bit along the nose-to-tail axis), and has like 75mm/80a wheels.

If you are planning on traveling long distances (2-10 miles) on your board like I do, invest in some skate shoes. Again, pumping hard and fast for a long way, plus foot braking, is murder on my feet, personally. I'm hoping the Nike 6.0s I just ordered help me out.

All in all I'd say besides paying off my car buying my longboard has been the best transportation investment I've made in a long time. Plus it's got great entertainment value. Also, ladies seem to me intrigued by it. All my friends think I'm getting paid for endorsing longboarding so much because I won't shut the gently caress up about my latest ride. They got some smug satisfaction when I told them about how I busted my rear end hard a couple times today, including flinging myself out onto El Camino Real in Sunnyvale in front of oncoming traffic. Not only did I shred a couple layers of skin on my hands, I got the bonus of almost getting hit by a car.

RobotEmpire fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 6, 2010

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Popcorn posted:

Anyone else want to comment on this? I know NOTHING about boards, I just know I want a longboard I can learn to cruise casually around on. No tricks, nothing special. Does this look like it'd have the soft wheels, flex etc? If not is there anything else on this site that does?

This is the exact form factor that I use. It's pretty narrow. If I had it to do over again I'd get something wider and concave.

Go here and click on "Bullet"... that's the kind of thing I'd get if I had it to do over again.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Whalley posted:

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2010/apr/21/cover/

I read this and I never want to get on a skateboard without a helmet again. God, what a powerful and depressing story.

Why the hell is it there's this whole idea that you're less of a person if you wear a helmet, despite how many other things we get suited up for? Ice hockey, playing football, loving riding bikes, everyone gets all decked out in safety gear and yet someone on a skateboard wearing a helmet instantly gets mocked? gently caress, I do it too, I have a kneejerk reaction whenever I see the things.

I made an effort today when I saw a kid riding his longboard with a helmet downtown to high five him when he stopped at a light. Christ, how the gently caress am I going to pack a helmet when I move to the states?

This story was posted on reddit a few weeks ago. After I read it I started wearing my helmet 100% of the time. Who gives a poo poo about getting mocked? It has saved me from a couple of bumps to the head already.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

leica posted:

I wear a helmet when I skate parks because I go balls out, and being in the vert leads to bails which leads to hitting your head sometimes which I have done, my head has bounced off the coping more than once and almost knocked me out.

That being said, I don't wear a helmet when I ride my longboard on the street or trails because I don't do stupid poo poo like having a dog pull me full speed wobbling through a loving construction site. I know my limitations, and I'm fully aware I'm not wearing a helmet so I don't take unnecessary risks.

I feel bad for the guy, but honestly he pushed the limit, got pushed back and unfortunately wasn't wearing any safety gear. If you're going to be out riding and loving off (being pulled by a dog for instance) then you need to wear a helmet. If you're just out cruising/commuting I really don't see the need.

I definitely do, because all it takes is a split second of looking away to miss an uneven sidewalk... your board stops cold but you don't. I say this as someone to whom this happened twice the other day. Glad I had my helmet on.

It's your decision -- and your brain -- but not wearing a helmet is like not wearing a seatbelt "because I don't do stupid poo poo while I drive." You might not, but the other guy definitely does.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

leica posted:

I'm not saying I've never wiped out on my longboard, uneven sidewalks and debris have bit me in the rear end before, I have a nice scar on my forearm to prove it. I've never come even close to landing on my head because I wasn't going fast enough. I just feel at the speeds I ride it's not needed. If I'm having a dog pull me around at dangerous levels of speed I would wear a helmet.

And comparing it to driving is kinda dumb, I don't have to worry about other skateboarders running red lights and crashing into me.

Oh well we must cruise different, I go as fast as I possibly can without wearing myself out. Anyway, sorry you think the comparison is dumb. My point was that a car suddenly pulling out of a driveway or turn off of a street right into you isn't beyond the realm of my imagining. That would also be enough to send you rear end over teakettle right onto your rear end.

Like I said, it's your brain and your life, so do whatever you want. I don't feel at all self-conscious about wearing a helmet, or feel that it diminishes my 'cool factor."

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I watched until I saw what was obviously the kill shot then immediately closed the tab. NO THANKS SIR.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

There's always this weird bizarro turn that this thread takes when the longboarders start getting all revved up.

The idea of wearing custom made riding leathers in order to skateboard bends my mind in ways that do not feel right.

So what you're telling me is that I don't need this custom-fitted gas mask and Spongebob strap-on?

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
That is insane. And insanely fun-looking.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
So.. did you score any bud or what?

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Mincher posted:

Cross-posting this from PYF Gif:

This is all of us right? :)

I'm going to get some skating done today after about a week of not being able to. I'm pumped!

On a side note, I had a shot on a friends slack rope yesterday. It showed me how little balance control I actually have. Time to work on that.

I did this poo poo the other day but I fell into oncoming traffic.

What's a slack rope?

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Froodulous posted:

I've been interested in getting a longboard for cruising around town and getting to and from the station for a while now. Unfortunately I have no idea about longboards. I used to skate a bit, but on what I would call a "normal" skateboard.

I'm in the UK and looking at Octane Sport.

http://www.octanesport.co.uk/shop/index.php/kids/mindless-raider-ml2000-complete-longboard.html

Would this setup be a good first buy?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3104299&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=25#post377814689

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Oh man I was out cruising with my little girl (she on her bike) and I 'found' a little skate park here in Santa Clara. So I signed their little liability form and rode my longboard around a little bit. Terrified the piss out of me! I'll be going back later today with my short deck. :)

There were some pretty badass little kids there though, nailing some pretty high ledge jumps and stalls and poo poo, pretty impressive...

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
just got my nike 6.0s, me likey

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

Yeah it's ridiculous because if you miss that trick you really loving miss it. Like you slam your head against the garage door or smack your shins on the ledge.

Man same poo poo I pulled today with a double pits to chesty. It was sickkk

But seriously though, I had to buy some insoles for my shoes today and I'm actually pretty pleased. If you're having crampy foot/sore achilles/sore heel problems check out these insoles called Superfeet. I got the blue variety because I have low arches... pretty happy. My pain didn't start until about a mile or so in which is a pretty huge improvement.

I also really started digging into trying to ollie. I'm still too chickenshit to do it on pavement without using a handguard, but I'm feeling good about the motion. That video from a couple pages back where the kid is talking about bouncing the board off the pavement with your backfoot put it all together in my head. now I just need to get it done.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Whalley posted:

Let go of the handguard. You'd be surprised how much balance you've got landing on the board and how easy it is to catch yourself before you totally gently caress up and explode your bones.

Then you'll understand why it's so much easier to do it while rolling and why I still can't work up the nerve 80% of the time to even try

Ugh, being (relatively) old bites nuts.

How old are you? I'm 31. Do I have osteoporosis yet?

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Whalley posted:

I'm 25 and it seems everyone I meet who sees my skateboard goes "Oh man, I used to skate, I got to doing kickflips and heelflips pretty well but I haven't touched a board in like ten years, you mind if I give it a try?"

And I never mind and they always make me feel inadequate as a human being :unsmith:

dude if you're making yourself feel relatively old at 25 you'll never make it to 31.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I really need to learn to ollie and poo poo so I can do the things on a skateboard I really want to do. Longboarding is a blast but I'd much rather be at the skatepark.

Also just want to echo the Superfeet insoles again. Well worth the ~$35 investment.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Just linked in with a small group of LDPers in Indianapolis where I'm moving next week. One guy just exposed me to all this poo poo about longboarding I didn't even know I didn't know. Felt like a newb. They have a couple cool ldp videos over at their site.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
^ Bummer. I went to a local city-run skatepark here a few times, they always had loaner pads I could borrow that they swore they disinfected, so I just used those.

Would it be cool (i.e. not bannable/probationable) if I posted a link to a buddy who's longboarding from Indianapolis to Chicago? He's trying to raise money but I don't want to violate any rules/etiquette.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Dropped too much money on a LDP longboard from RoeRacing, the Mermaid. Looking forward to getting on this bad boy and putting my Sector 9 Gremmie in mothballs. I tried riding the Gremmie down a hill at my new apartment and the wobble about killed me.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Got my mermaid today, rode about 6 miles on it. Fantastic ride. I'm in love (and tired).

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Can you describe the setup you have there? It looks..........................interesting.

Yeah it's a LDP-specific setup -- long-distance pumping. 75mm/83a wheelsand Bennett truck in front, 80a wheels and tracker truck in back. The whole kit is designed toward (nearly) max efficiency in terms of distance per unit power.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

leica posted:

Was it a complete, or did you order it custom? What did it cost?

I would really love an LDP board but I can't justify buying a board for every type of skating, I have three as it is :(

Haven't been riding much here, it's too drat hot, the tarmac is like riding on a frying pan.

It was a complete, and this makes my third. I'm pretty sure that if you already have a longboard deck you can make it an "LDP" board pretty easily.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Unless you have eliminators on a 12 ply deck you can pump with anything on four wheels.

Yeah for sure, but after upgrading, things are a hell of a lot more efficient.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Horizontal Tree posted:

Otangs for LDP? Interesting. Are you finding them grippy enough with the tracker rear? I find Otangs pretty drifty, especially on standard geometry trucks. I was running Otang Stimulus 83a on my slalom rig for a bit, and it was fun as long as I didn't pump too hard. I haven't used my In Heats on there though because they're a little too big to fit without adding a fair amount of riser.
Here's a tip for all you LDP guys that I like for slalom: try running the front truck taller than the rear. I've only tried it on boards with the rear trucks mounted on a kicktail, but it may work for ldp too

I've only taken the one ride yesterday, a 6-miler, and didn't notice any issues at all with drifting, skidding or sliding.

Right now both trucks are sitting at the same height, though I may change it if the turning radius doesn't tighten up as I get these bushings break in.

edit:

leica posted:

Already tried. My KS board has virtually nothing to put your foot on over the front truck. The other one is a surfboard shape and has little surface over the front truck, but I tried using different bushing setups (Indy trucks) and it just didn't work well. The KS pumps ok, but nothing sniffing long distance.

Yeah I've got a surfboard-shaped Sector 9 which was my first-ever skateboard. Pretty narrow deck, no flex... it's not fun but I've gone five miles or so on it. Wasn't fun, and almost got run over when I bailed into traffic, but I did it. The difference between that Sector9 and this Mermaid is hard to overstate.

quote:

I think if I could have a specific built board for LDP I'd get into it and take long rides, but it ain't happening on the boards I have now. In fact, I'm going the Kahuna stick route on my KS and figure I can do some long distance that way.

[edit] it will also double as a weapon, the trails here have crime :v:

Haha, good luck with that.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I have to be honest, I don't understand the principles behind wedging. From what I understand increasing the wedge angle on the trucks increases stability and widens the turning radius. Is this about right? What else does wedging do for me?

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/21/sports/21longboard.html?_r=2&th&emc=th&pagewanted=all

gently caress just kill me. gently caress this stupid poo poo.

I don't get it?

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

DELETED posted:

If you don't think longboarding/downhill is the next big thing in skateboarding then you're blind. It's taking off like wildfire. The article was kind of corny but it's the truth. Just a few years ago, I knew a couple people who were into it and that was it. Now, I see kids out cruising on longboards every single day. I don't think it's going to overshadow street skating, but I do see it coming very close in popularity.

Agreed, longboarding gives people an excuse to buy a skateboard -- that's how it worked for me. It's not like this is the first time skater culture exploded, one simply had to live through the 80s to see what that was like. IIRC a good time was had by all.

DELETED posted:

I'm speaking in terms of reverse kingpin (IE Randal) trucks, but here's how it works

Look at your truck from the side and image three lines that form a triangle. The first line follows the top of the baseplate where it meets the board. The next line goes from the pivot cup to the hanger of the truck, and the last line follows the kingpin. Your pivot angle is the angle between the top of the baseplate and the axis of the pivot cup. This determines the ratio of lean to steer. A higher angle, such as a stock 50° Randal, means more of the lean is converted to steering. With a lower angle, such as 28º, the pivot angle is tighter, which means that the hanger will lean more than it steers. Basically, the closer the actual hanger is to being parallel with the ground or baseplate, the less it will turn. If you don't want to switch baseplates, you can use a wedged riser pad the achieve the same effect.

Lets say you have a setup like mine, a topmount board designed primarily for speed. You don't want a wobbly rear, and bushings can only do so much. So, you either wedge your rear truck or get a low angle baseplate. This means when you're locked into a turn, your rear truck just kind of follows the first without turning as sharp as the front. This also increases your traction since the load is being applied across the wheels instead of at an angle. Maybe I'll grab some pictures to try to explain what I mean a little more in depth, it's kind of confusing at first.

Yeah, what? The pivot cup, reverse kingpin, what. Is there a wiki out there or something?

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

donJonSwan posted:

I'll speak for him, since you guys seem to be itching for flame bait.

Longboarders are creepy, they're generally too friendly, their hamstrings are all swollen and gnarly looking from 6 miles of "LDP'ing" which is an acronym that's nearly as nerdy as the typical collar popped college type pushing around in flip flops. Skateboarding should be about creatively destroying your surroundings, and rebelling against _something_ authoritative... I'm kind of running out of steam here.

I love my longboard, but I'll never stop kickflippin.

So hey bro you wanna grab some beers, maybe a bro-jerk afterward? Maybe we can massage each other's hamstrings?

but seriously, I'm pretty sure everyone knows what Bucket was talking about. As a matter of fact one of the companion videos with that longboarding piece touched on it. It was specifically about downhill slalom competitions, and one of the competitors was talking about how if the sport goes mainstream it's going to destroy the tight-knit community of competitors and lead to big egos with big paydays etc.

But yeah, donJuan, keep on creatively destroying the environment!!!! (You know you're old when you're defending your hobby from change, and saying the way you did it when you were a kid is the only way to do it) And let's never forget that, objectively, you are wrong.

About everything.

RobotEmpire fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 22, 2010

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

donJonSwan posted:

haha, there was supposed to be heavy dose of sarcasm and self-loathing in my post, the only destruction my sorry old rear end can muster up is a couple layers of hastily applied wax on a 2' tall ledge. :)

I figured you were rigging your ramps to explode once you pulled a monster ollie off of them

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

donJonSwan posted:

I really dig the exploding longboarding scene.

I'm sure it helps keep a lot of the core skateboarding shops running, considering how expensive most of the specialized components are nowadays.

what is with you and explosions

it won't be long before the slalom events are on ESPN2 and eventually part of X Games. Not sure why they're not already. It's super fast, accidents are heinous, and so on. It'll experience a couple summers of booming before leveling off and becoming a 'regular' extreme sport that everyone knows about like vert or what have you. I can see it being a summer Olympics competition in 10-20 years.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
LOL wow, donJuanSwan just got a new favorite movie.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

leica posted:

Longboards are the new fixies

I liked longboards before they were cool

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Lurch posted:

I did a brilliant scorpion impression onto bitumen a few minutes ago. :rock:

My poor chest...

I think I saw this maneuver on Wipeout! Did you kick yourself in the back of the head?

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Just logged 13 or 14 miles on my ride today. I never realized how nice it was to have wide, well-kept sidewalks and dedicated bike lanes on basically every street in the Bay Area. Going that far here is essentially an exercise in survival.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Wow that's really sexy. Are they flexible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Thought some of you might enjoy this. One of the sickest longboard sliding videos I've seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHIObEZcW38&feature=player_embedded

Watch in HD imo