Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm 31 and thinking about starting to skate again after, uh, 18 years. Me and a friend decided to master an Ollie by the end of this summer, still need to buy a board though. (Yesterday we practiced for the first time, apparently I managed to jump 20 cm (!), but then my 18 year old board broke).

But the reason I'm posting is to ask for advice on being a Mongo foot. It just feels more natural and comfortable to me. I think I never did it any other way. Should I really try and change this? Is it really such a handicap? I mean I've just had one day of practice yet, so I guess there's still room for change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

highme posted:

I forgot to mention that "mastering the ollie" should be an end of the day goal, not an end of the summer goal. It's not hard, I can do it, I suck, and have always sucked. Make your goal to be able to ollie on to something, a curb or planter etc., it gives you a tangible goal and prevents you from overthinking the actual ollie.

Yeah, I want to be able to jump over a beer crate by the end of this summer. Who knows, maybe it will happen sooner. Then I'll just start with the kickflip or another basic trick.

EDIT: My concern with mongo was not if it looks cool or not, but whether some tricks will become harder to pull off? I just started watching Tony Hawks Tricks and Tips, and to him it's a bad habit.

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 5, 2009

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Ok, thanks guys. I'm still waiting for my mail-order board to arrive, so hopefully by the end of this week I can give mongo and not-mongo another try. Oh and those recommended videos in the first post are really cool, I think I'm in love with the opening sequence of "fully flared" (poo poo explodes).

shark week posted:

I'm assuming doing short run ins as a mongo rider is going to be super tough but thats way down the line. Any kind of rough surface is going to be annoying when pushing mongo. Cobblestones is going to make the nose bounce all over the place.

Cobblestones?! I didn't even know you could drive over that stuff. :psyduck:

shark week posted:

So says a vert skater. That guy shits me.

Ah so he does vert. I don't know anything about him, except the shitload of videogames featuring his name.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Well compared to the pool skaters in "Chlorine" (just watched it), he seems pretty grounded. Alba, Alva & Co. come off as the melancholic bunch, proud that they never sold out and somewhat bitter that they actually didn't. If that makes any sense.

I liked all of those people, but it's kind of sad when you see a 40-year old boasting that he's better than all the eleven-year-olds at the skate park.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

donJonSwan posted:

I don't have any used ones, but I love my PD wrist and elbow pads.

Definitely worth the price.

mike12345, if you dug Chlorine Northwest is equally awesome. It's all about the DIY scene, focused mostly around the Portland Burnside crew.

Q-Man is pretty rad, skate army for life.

Q-Man is awesome, and so is Northwest. BTW, I hope this is not :filez:, but you can watch Northwest on Youtube, split into five parts. I'm currently watching part one, and I have to say that is the coolest skate park ever. And to think they built it all by themselves? Awesome.

Not to derail the thread, but Northwest reminded me of my other favourite found-footage-vid on youtube, :nms: Anxiety Hangover by Eyehategod:nms:. In related news, I've managed to stationary Olli a couple of times yesterday, will try do the same thing now rolling.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I did some skating on a mini-ramp last week, and it was a load of fun. Now I'm thinking about buying a helmet, and I thought maybe an army helmet could do the trick? Or ist that too cheesy / too heavy?

I'm currently eyeing a steel helmet from the danish army, in orange:

it would go well with my board

:haw:

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 27, 2009

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Snap Your Fingers posted:

DO NOT use army helmets. They're not designed for absorbing the shock of falls. It will not protect you.

Yes, that's probably true. Well it was a fun idea. Those Bern helmets are not available where I live, so I'll probably go with the 20 Euro cheapo-ones from Titus.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Ha, that looks fun. Am I wrong or are tricks where you hop off the board generally considered old-school? Haven't seen em in any of the newer vids.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Wow, that's like... ballet. Especially when he does that that flip-thing and lands like a ballerina.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Any way to fix this? Duct tape? Glue (if so, what kind of glue)?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

According to the guy at the skate shop, I can expect to buy a new board every month. IF I keep using it a lot. That leaves me a little bit worried. I think me practicing pop-shove-its was the culprit, some awful foot positioning there (when landing/trying to land).

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Goddammit, skating is harder than I thought. I'm still not able to Olli over things, I've got some psychological block that makes me jump off the skateboard or not Olli at all. We're not talking two feet obstacles, this happens with a piece of wood as well.

Doesn't really matter how high, it's more the fact that I have to jump over something at a certain point. I think I have to get used to timing.

On a positive note, I managed the pop-shove-it twice today. I'm really proud. It looks cool, with your board whirling around like poo poo and then you land on it, heh.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

Burnquist's part is loving ridiculous.

Jesus Christ WTF I don't even know how to explain that to somebody.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Classicist posted:

I just got my first board in 4 years or so last weekend and I finally got to go try it out this afternoon. I can still do (small) ollies consistently and I managed to land a few shove its! It was really fun, but I repeatedly came within a foot of stomping on my glasses when they fell off my face. I need to find some kind of solution for that.

Ordered these from optical4less. -> http://www.optical4less.com/plastic-eyeglasses/p112/
Really cheap, you get them shipped from Hong Kong. I would recommend choosing them with a yellow/orange tint, increases contrast. Apart from that, people at the skatepark will tell you they look cool or just plain weird :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I just googled for instructional skate videos and found this list at about.com:

http://skateboard.about.com/od/tricktips/tp/Top_Skate_Trick_Tip_Videos.htm

1. Skateboarding Explained
2. Tony Hawk's Trick Tips Volume One
3. Transworld Show Me The Way
4. Zero to Hero Skateboarding: The Basics
5. Tony Hawk's Trick Tips 3: Secrets of Skateboarding
6. Powell Basic Training Plus
7. Tony Hawk's Trick Tips 2: Essentials of Street
8. 1st Step
9. Starting Point
10. Trick Tips with Willy Santos

Is this list still valid/outdated? I know the first two and think they are pretty cool, Skateboarding Explained has better camera angles IIRC.