Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
I didn't even know this thread existed so I was pretty psyched when I searched for it. Ive been skating since I was in 6th grade. I wanted to ask anyone from Chicago what they thought about an indoor private skatepark. I'm looking to build one and I've got a couple of locations scoped out. I have been talking with Team Pain about construction and I think I'm going to go with them for the project. Anyone have any reasons why they think it might flop? Anyone heard of any other Chicago skateparks being built? Ive heard Logan Square's underbridge park is a bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
I think much of the failure of private parks is due to the gigantic loans people take out with no way of paying them back. I know I might be a little optimistic thinking that the park we are building would be different, but having the capital to build and rent without loans means the park will not have the bank taking a large cut every time the park makes money. I'm not disqualifying your belief, but in my experience the city of Chicago has a couple lovely parks that can only be skated during the day in the right weather. A correctly designed indoor park can attract visitors during any weather, especially in a city with such a large population. Thanks for your response though.

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
RobotEmpire
I dont ride longboards, but i notice that when I wear out a pair of basic skateboarding shoes my feet start to hurt. I usually just get a cheap pair off of ccs.com because they always have stuff in their sale section. I know a lot of the longboarders I see during the summer wear flip flops because its cool so I'm not sure if thats what your problem is, but really any flat pair of shoes is skateable. I used to rock reebok classics when they were cheaper than any name brand shoe.

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
To the dude looking for spots. Check out http://www.skatr.us/search, poo poo's so cash.

For the guy who wants to learn switch, I think the easiest place to get comfortable riding switch is on a mini at first. You just kind of have to do it on the street and eat it a bunch, but on a mini I started doing fakie rocks, then nose stalls and then moved up to dropping in switch. It helped me out a lot

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
Well it was beautiful outside today. Went to my local ghetto park for a little solo action and finished up at my favorite ledge and stair sets. I'm so happy it's spring again. I hope you're all enjoying the weather!

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
I remember when I was younger i used to hate wearing a helmet, but now at 24 I think about buying one everytime I go to a bowl. I wouldn't ever wear it for the street poo poo I do, but I'm pretty terrible in pools and concrete scares the poo poo out of me. I've had 3 concussions in my life and they're terrifying. One was from a stair set when I was a teen and over-rotated on a 180 and smacked my head against a pillar when my wheels locked up. Another was from a snowboarding accident and the last was from a mosh pit. I really only worry about smacking my head in bowls though, but freak poo poo happens. I guess im just saying that helmets look goofy only until you consider how goofy drool looks after you suffer freak brain damage. Head injuries are no joke.

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008

Mincher posted:

I'm not very good.

I'm improving but drat do I suck! One thing that constantly bothers me is the everyday manual. I understand the concept, the way your weight should be and controlling the board but man, I just end up flapping around like a guy caught in his own little loving tornado.

Is it just a trial/error, do it 'til you can, sort of thing or is there something i'm missing that lets everyone else hold their poise whilst I spaz out?

God drat...

hey dude I know this was last page but I remember manuals were incredibly frustrating to me back when I leaned them. I know that it sounds like bullshit but any type of manual trick, be it just riding them out flat or ollieing into or out of them just takes practice. I will say though that once you learn the trick you'll never forget it. I've taken months off the board and when I jump back on manuals are one of the first tricks I recover.
Also, a good way to learn the balance is to do them down a slight incline. If you have a hill that doesnt get you going to quickly you can learn to hold them for an indefinite amount of time because your speed pretty much stays constant. Good luck and keep trying.

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
So I'm amped that we found an architect that skates to help design the park. Now we just need to find a place large enough. What do you guys think about a park that features spots from around the US recreated so you could hit them without having to fly to a coast?

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
About the park. We're not trying to build every spot. Like that one guy said we're more looking to incorporate a couple famous spots into our overall design; instead of just having some ledges on the side of the park, incorporate some bank action like china banks, or having vertical ledges like brooklyn banks on one of the larger banks we plan to build. If you guys have any ideas I'd love to hear them. I want to make a place thats incredibly fun for everyone to session.

In other news, I dont know if you've all seen this, but the 16 part Epicly Later'd featuring John Cardiel is some of the most epic poo poo I've seen in a while. When he hits the autumn bowl towards the end I teared up. Cardiel has gotten me amped since I was a little kid and it's amazing to see a human being that's so strong spit in the face of the odds against him and continue living a truly epic life. Check this poo poo out and go do something crazy. All hail Cardiel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4O5K89P6cE

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
I dont understand why people dont just buy blanks. You essentially pay an extra 20 bucks to have some paint thrown on the bottom of your board that is going to get hosed up anyways. I bought an enjoi deck recently because it was on sale, but I wont ever again. I remember back in the day buying powell mini-logos for like 15 bucks cheaper and they were sick. Then I found out about even more generic blanks... essentially what any distributor sells, minus the logos.

In terms of hardware, get the cheapest wheels, the cheapest bearings and trucks that have a brand name. The reason you should buy brand name trucks is because they're all essentially the same, but axle slip is a bitch if you buy bullshit walmart trucks. Skateboarding is a cheap sport. You aren't supposed to have "nice" poo poo because it's loving skateboarding. The only thing you should ever be thinking about when buying trucks is "hey are these the same width as my deck? Do I recognize this company from somewhere? Is this the cheapest set of trucks in the store?" Buying into paying extra money so your board has different colors and poo poo is ridiculous because every company buys their poo poo from the same place. Do you really think any of these companies actually press their own boards? They dont even paint them. It's all outsourced.

http://blankdecks.com/ Holy poo poo, 10 decks for 10.99! What a legit loving deal!

Most shops have a sale area where they have cheaper decks, trucks, wheels.... If you really need paint on the bottom of your board shop there for a cheap deck. Otherwise save yourself some money.

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008

Sirkus posted:

This is sick. Cant wait to see the footy

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
About what jeephand said about boards. 8" is loving huge. 8.5" is waaaayy to wide to do anything fun with... for me. I ride a 7.625" and I'm 6'4" with 11.5 shoes. I know it's mostly a preference thing but don't let larger size deter you from trying a thinner board. This was especially true for me while trying to learn flip tricks.

Honestly, dont read a guide about what type of board you should get. If you buy any board and skate it long enough you will know exactly what needs to get fixed. If you have a wide board and you dont like it you will probably come to the conclusion that you need a thinner board. vice versa is true, if you have a thin board and it doesn't feel right, try a wider board and go with it. If you're skating enough for board size to have any impact on your ability you will break that board soon enough to try yet another size. When you get what you want you'll know it.

Express yourself through the ability to express your own opinion of what a "real" skateboarder rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
I'm sure a bunch of you know about this site, but Wiskate always gets me amped to skate. Check out any of the videos, they're all super fun.

https://www.wiskate.com