Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Awesome, A skateboard thread. Now I'm going to be honest with ya guys/girls. When It comes to skating. I don't know poo poo (to put in a nice way) :v:

I've always loved the idea of getting on a board and just cruising around. That's always been my dream. But I could never quite get myself to live it. During my younger ages I was a hefty guy and I know being fat isn't really and excuse, but being nearly 300 lbs at 16 skateboarding wasn't really on the top of my mind.

Now then...I'm 19 185-90 (depending on how many burgers I ate that day) 6'2. I'm starting to think about it again. More and more. I look down at my feet and see some classic van shoes Just sitting there not torn up from busting my rear end trying to kick flip over my buddies dog. Though now a days what kid doesn't own a pair of vans? I didn't buy them for the looks (well...they awesome anyway) I bought them with the intent of skating. I just never worked up the courage really :/

well anyway, I have a board and I'm teaching myself to ride. Can any gnarly goons give a few tips for a guy just starting out?

Here's what I can do: Stand on the board,push off and ride it,basic turning by leaning,and falling on my face <-- I can't repeat that one enough

I'm not trying to be the next pro on the streets :unsmith: I just want to cruise around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I might just practice in my backyard that has a large concrete floor. I've been working on the kick turns, but the ollie seems to escape me. I just end up flinging the board far away from my feet.

How do you guys deal with sudden cracks in the ground or lil rocks? I see them and try to push over them and I'm fine, but if I missed spotting the smallest of rocks I end up flying forward off my board. I don't fall really I just get launched ahead of my board. Kinda annoying really to get wrecked over a spec of rock.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AH wait. My question was already answered earlier in the thread.

Never mind this.

Gonna go practice this week on my tic-tacin' and riding.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 28, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anybody got some tips for when I skate down a hill? I seem to pick up ridiculous speed when ever I go down anything with a slight slope. When I'm going that fast I forget to put a foot down to slow down or stop so I just bail and send my board shooting off to the curb.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dick Jones posted:

On certain sidewalk cracks (like an inch high) you can do mini nollies without the deck making contact with the ground. The board bounces up off the crack using just the urethane of the wheels. As long as you're going fast enough to clear the back wheel and the crack isn't too big you can get some decent height.

I don't know if a beginning skater like me is ready to try that :v:

What I try to do is mini manual over cracks. Just enough to lift the front wheels over so it's not a sudden abrupt stop. Then again that might not be a great idea for a beginner either...

VVV Yeah see, gently caress that :v:

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 5, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

leica posted:

Cool boards

Anyone ever get this...... "You ride a skateboard? Why?" [insert condescending tone]

I get the exact opposite. "You DON'T know how to ride?"

:smith: working on it

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What depresses me the most is that being so close the beach about every kid I see rides. Long boards short boards sector 9s to even a big ol' plank of wood that somebody decided to stick trucks and wheels on.

Then there's the really fat guys that know how to cruise.

drat I'm really sucking right now.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like Nikes...:smith:

Though I don't own a pair...

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can anybody recommend a good decent shoe can I can use to try flip tricks and what not.

My flat Classic vans aren't really cut out for it...since I wear size 13. They make my feet seem wider.

Plus ya know they're tearin' up already and I only skate around once every 2 weeks.

boo grammar

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 16, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really diggin' those MJ2s. Besides my Vans classic I have a few pairs of Vans AV Sk8-Lows.

Maybe I should wear those more often if I could find them :/

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hope you sprained your ankle trying some radical move I've never heard of :colbert:

I decided to try use all skate lingo from the early 90s to describe my day.

I must say it's pretty gnarly and or rad.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's up with this Street Dreams movie? I've never seen any skate movie in my life so I have nothing to compare it too.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

soggybagel posted:

It's a huge piece of poo poo that looks hilariously bad.

Welp :v:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OniPanda posted:

Welp count me in as another guy who did it for a while then just completely forgot about it until recently. Decided to dust my board off the other day and hey it's still fun even though I'm absolutely horrible at it! The setup is about 11 years old now so I was gonna get some new poo poo, which leads me to some questions. I'm 6'3", 250, and I wear size 14 wide shoes. I wore airwalks until my feet got too big, then started wearin vans, but they don't make wides so I go a size up and it works alright. I love me some vans, but is there anyone else who makes skate shoes above size 13? I pretty much only do street skating, what size wheels, and how hard for the bushings? TIA. Also not gear wise, but how do you guys improve you balance other than just skating? My balance is horrible.

Since I've been away from it for so long, I haven't kept up at all with the scene so I don't know who half of the popular skaters are anymore or these new companies, but I still get excited watching skate videos. Best for me is still Rodney Mullen VS Daewon Song (round 2).

This sounds like me except: I've only just started skating, I'm an inch shorter, Weigh 185-90, and have absolute horrible balance.

Also I love my vans.

For the balance stuff I just try and stand on my board. Leaning right left forward backward. Trying to tic-tac around ect ect. Crack in the sidewalk are the end of me though :/

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 28, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys/girls, I just bought me a deck from da internets.

What I can tell you is that it's a custom design and made by South central Skatebaord manufacturing. It's basically just a deck really and I was wondering if you guys can help me build it up for skatin' n' poo poo yo! And or falling on my face. Either way! I need some helps.

I like it and that's what counts :colbert:

I need the whole deal here. Trucks wheels ext ext. I might just make this my cruise around board and leave my zooyork as my fall on my face board.

Sorry if it seems a bit silly to ask for help, but it's just I never done this before :smith: My last board was pre-built.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I see people push mongo everywhere. I guess after so long of doing it they become good at it. I still find it kinda amazing to see a kid skate mongo up a hill with out shooting his board forward and falling on his rear end.

I have a hard enough time skating regular :v: What I need now is a skate buddy.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
As long as both feet are on the board you should be able to do any trick you like (If you can DO any tricks that is)

Mongo is just a way to gain speed and momentum, just as pushing goofy and regular footed are.

Doing a one foot manual will be pretty awesome if you can learn to do that :v:

VVVVVV what he said

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 5, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
One of the oldest skaters out there. Started young in comps and won alot of bowl' comp blah blah did a 900 spin yadda yadda Won many vert comps.

Overall even if you've never heard of skateboarding, chances are you heard of Tony Hawk. Which is funny because I really don't know any other pro skaters out there...

My mail order board is almost here too. :v::hf::v:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He's p. Cool.

Gotta admit to that.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I get speed wobbles going down the street :smith:

damnit

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Good to know even pros get snagged on rocks and eat poo poo. :gbsmith:

Though it was staged...

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm so bad at skating :smith:

I guess I'll just stick with playing Skate 2.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why are soccer flips so hard?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

soccer flips (if i'm thinking of the right thing) are kind of this old school flatland trick where you hop off the board while it's rolling and flip it around from underneath to land back onto it

Exactly this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwOmuj3p9j4

I've decided while on my free time trying to learn to skate (sadly still bad at it) I'd learn some old school tricks.

Turns out it's pretty hard, also turns out I stub my toe trying these every time.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well,to be honest I don't know. I do know it's more of a freestyle thing.

I guess most comps now a days lean towards the vert/street style of skating.

Unless there's some freestyle comps still around I could be wrong.

SPEAKING OF OLD AND FREESTYLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuMmT3E-KVU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sharper turns? Loosen the trucks a bit. Actually, I take that back. I have no idea if that would be the same with a long board as it is a regular board :psyduck:

I'm not much of a long board rider :v:

Tight tucks make for a fast stable ride, but harder turns. Loose trucks make for better carving, but tend to get unstable when going fast giving ya the speed wobbles.

Some one let me know if this is the same with long boards or completely wrong.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

partipo posted:

I loving love that longboarding is so loving foreign to you.

I mean it is to me too. But I still find it funny. Like I picture a bunch of skaters sitting around talking and then one asks a longboarding question and they all look absolutely loving confused.

I try my best not to talk out my rear end :v: I think to much into it really.

My mind jumps all around thinking if what I said makes any sense or is even possible to do with a long board. Some boards are longer then others some are wider some have small noses some have huge tails some are just a 2x4 with trucks.

:psypop:

If it makes you feel better I'm still terrible at skating.

ANYWAY, time for a beginner skate question.

You guys wouldn't to have any tips on how to do a "running start" with a board do ya? I'm afraid if I try it's gonna make me fly forward and shoot my board backwards.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 8, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Think of it as a battle wound that you can show off to everybody. I've seen people skate on even more damaged boards then this just fine.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Depends on how hard you ride the board or what your doing to it on a daily bases.

I suggest getting your self a board just for getting places and then keep the one you have for tricks and what not.

Or just stockpile a bunch of decks. Either way :v:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My older cousin of mine has a regular deck with wider trucks and giant wheels. I was afraid to ride it :v: it felt like it would shoot from under me. It felt like wearing new socks on a freshly waxed floor. I was slipping before I could get both feet on it.

All I really wanna do is cruise. Should I skip this learning to street skate and move to a long board? All this talk about not eating a face full of street rolling over a rock seems alot better then eating a face full of street from trying to avoid a rock, but only to run over a smaller rock in the process.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

donJonSwan posted:

You're going to eat poo poo regardless of the type of board you're riding.

Bigger wheels can roll over rocks some rocks, sure, but they typically go on a bigger board. Which means they can be more difficult to maneuver around posts, dogs, people or whatever.

I'm aiming to eat the least amount of poo poo possible and if I do I want to look cool doing it :c00lbert:

"I meant to fall on my face guys! It's a new German style of long boardin'."

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 21, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Goons help me out.

Whats good beginners practice consist of and where?

I've had my board for a while it's just I'm just to much of a wussy to get on it. Not because of falling, but because of those drat skate prodigy 9 year olds. I can see the laughter coming from there eyes.

I'm about to get serious with something for my life and I want it to be skating. Plus, gas is still crazy expensive. I might as well skate where I need to go.

So far all I got down is standing on the board. Other then that I completely suck.

:smith: any help to get me going is much appreciated.

(besides the whole, "stop being a wuss about it" thing)

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I do have some one to skate with. Things is, he's been doing it for years where as I just started. I'd rather not slow him down. I have no idea why I think that I would or how :v:

It's just one of those things that slow me down.

Well anyways, I appreciate the tips. Watching a skate video does hype me up, so when ever I'm being a lazy rear end I'll watch one to work up the courage to get on the board.

I really don't have long stretches of sidewalk in front of my house, but my drive way is a good enough starting point. I'll just stand around my board trying to feel comfortable and work my way up to pushing then turning ect etc.

One thing though, I don't know if it matters, my size 13 feet and my 7.5 board. Should I go to an 8? Or does it really matter? Would it make learning more difficult or am I just worrying about nothing.

Here's a video to counter act all my noobie questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQzUsTFqtW0

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 7, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll look into getting an 8 then, but until then I will work on my balance standing on the board.

Having a few extra decks lying around helps too.

Thanks abunch guys.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

foastwab posted:

Have you guys seen Billy Mark's Battle Commander video at the Berrics?

http://theberrics.com/batcom090926.php

I've watched it ten times and I'm still blown away.

Just saw this.

Then I saw Mike V.

I wanna be just like him :3:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sirkus posted:

Oh god, liking Mike V. is a skateboarding faux pas! It's up there with mall grabbing, beaming, and snaking.

:colbert:

Can I like Rodney Mullen then? He's cool right?! RIGHT??!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

foastwab posted:

So I had a free afternoon today, so I went and rolled around at local park today. I decided I might as well go for some tricks because I don't need my body for anything, and I ended up ollieing down a 5 stair.

I felt really cool. :smug:

Also, what decks are you guys riding right now? This is what I'm on:

I love looking at decks. Heh.

I do my best to try and ride this.

And then I got this on my wall.

Click here for the full 237x820 image.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The rest of the Thrashed series from Siren Skateboards are pretty dope, to me anyways.

http://sirenskate.com/about/

Though I don't have an iguana. I'm sure the guys at the skate shop sell them in the back.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You make me feel like a quitter, which I am anyways, but I've decided just to take my board with me to work and try my best to skate back home. That's gonna be my practice. I guess I'm just one for those kinda people who do better learning new things with people.

Also walking home in Vans is killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
For some reason when I stand on my board I go backwards. Even if I lean forward. Hmmmmm...it seems I'll extremely rusty/bad at this.