Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone else watched the "Wizard Smoke" video yet? I thought it was pretty cool

LINK: http://vimeo.com/7640196

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^Wow. That is amazing looking. Color me jealous

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dutchbag posted:

just went into the skateshop yesterday and dropped cash on a girl deck, venture trucks, and spitfire wheels.

I've had a couple girl boards and they've been some of my favorites! Good choices

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Has anyone ever tried any of the boards from zazzle.com? I know they're probably not the highest quality, but I'm wondering if they're decent. Rob Dyrdek has some designs on there, so I'm thinking they must be passable. I haven't skated much in a couple years, and I've been wanting to get back into it, so I'm trying to decide if I want to design my own on zazzle and try it out, or if I want to go with my standard Girl deck.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I skated for years back in high school and have strongly been considering getting another board to play around on, this time with more focus on having fun with it, instead of being obsessed with learning new tricks like I was back then. I just miss it. I've got a couple buddies that are big time longboarders and I always consider giving it a shot, but after watching youtube videos, I never feel too enthused about it. I finally gave it a shot and rolled around on my buddy's Loaded Dervish the other night (even carved, slightly, a mellow hill) and it was actually pretty cool. Now I'm wanting to pick up a normal board AND a longboard. drat.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Has anyone else seen the Loaded Tan Tein? I've been trying to decide on a longboard and think it's the one for me. I loved my friend's Dervish, but wanted a kicktail of some sort. Next thing I know, Loaded drops this beauty:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm 5'6" and 150lbs and I've always enjoyed 7.75s. Skated a few 7.5s when I was younger and didn't mind them too much.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Even after not skating for long periods of time (like a year between each time), I can still get on a board and bust a varial kickflip. Varials were always easy for me. Normal kickflips....not so much.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Welp, I'm pretty excited. After not skating in about 6 years, I just ordered a new setup. Girl board (always liked their shape/feel), Venture trucks, and Ricta wheels. Pretty basic stuff, nothing too fancy. I've been wanting to get another board for a while now. I've bummed friends skateboards (and a few longboards) a time or two and can still land varial kicks pretty consistently. I skated non stop back in jr. high, but it stopped being fun (was taking it too seriously), so I'm looking forward to casually skating. Plus, I live in a different town now and there's a small city skatepark. Whoo-hoo!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My new board is set to arrive tomorrow and two of my three classes are cancelled, so I'm considering skipping the third and spending the day at the local skatepark. Choices choices....

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Check out what I got!

Girl 8.00" deck w/ Girl griptape
Ricta Natural 52mm wheels
Venture Superlight low trucks
Dooks shock pads
Shake Junt bearings
Lucky hardware

Had a blast just assembling it! Spent a little while pushing around. I've missed this.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I almost got some Theeve trucks, but ended up going with Venture instead. Oh well.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My hipster ex-roommate liked longboarding, but was a total tool about it. He called skaters like me "flippy trick riders" and acted like longboarding was waaaaaaay superior somehow. He rode (mongo) a 55" Gravity deck that had the turning radius of a small yacht. He would commonly "board over to campus to play banjo on the quad for a few hours, bro." He was also a loving slob. gently caress, I'm glad he moved out (unannounced, without paying rent/bills for the month).

BUT, I did meet some of his longboarding buddies, who are all totally chill, cool (non-hipster) guys that just enjoy any kind of boarding and have gotten me into longboards. Hills are loving scary.

XIII fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 26, 2011

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm really surprised how much I've retained from skating back in the back. I landed the fourth varial kick I tried (and most of the ones after). I can still consistently spin most every trick I used to be able to, but the landings are still hit or miss. Still haven't really had time to get out and skate much though, just been pushing around in the parking lot. I don't have classes on Fridays, so I think I'm going to start going to the local skatepark while it's empty (and all the drat 13yr olds aren't there landing tricks I can't even begin to attempt).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

If you don't seal the masonite somehow it will wear out pretty fast, along with the water issues. At least that's been my experience with it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Practice. It's frustrating as gently caress, but it's pretty much the only way. It'll feel awkward and you'll probably just kick the board off behind you or something. This will happen repeatedly. Slowly, it'll start to click. I think it's a lot easier to learn rolling (I learned by repeatedly trying to clear an old broomstick). But I know some people that say it's easier to learn while stationary, so I'd say try both and see what works for you. Once you get it, it'll just be a matter of fine tuning it. I've gone years without skating, but I could step back onto a board and still nail ollies (and varials) like I never stopped.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

youngallah posted:

A bunch of people have pointed out that it's on a custom ramp that Red Bull built, as well as the fact that technically it was a fakie 1080. Still though, insanely impressive stuff.

I'm going to keep telling myself these points so I feel less terrible.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Business posted:

I keep eating poo poo on rock to fakies. I make a good number of them but I can't seem to get consistent. It's just really hard to figure out where I'm supposed to have my weight so I don't slide out. Any advice for these, or perhaps a way to learn them without bailing really hard when I do gently caress up?

Find smaller ramps. Even try it on funboxes, just to get used to stopping and rolling down switch.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

coeur de pirate posted:

So what's the consensus on penny boards and the like?

Seems like a nice compact board to go to and from class, but I'm not sure if the pros outweigh the benefits.

A buddy that came to get tattooed today had a Penny board with him that he just picked up, so I rolled around on it in the shop and out back while he was in the chair. Holy gently caress do I want one now!!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Went and skated at a skatepark for the first time in about 6+ years today with a friend. We were lucky enough to have the place to ourselves. I'm not as confident on a board as I used to be, but I was pleasantly surprised by how not terrible I was. I can still spin varial kickflips without much problem. Can't land all of them, but got a few. It was also my first time skating a bowl, which was a poo poo load of fun. Think I'm going to have to make it a more regular thing to go out there and skate, although I'm terrible out of skating shape and it showed.

Also, I've spent a lot of time ride a coworker's Penny around at work and I'm going to order a Stereo vinyl cruiser before the week's over.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone here have any experience with building a mini ramp? I've always wanted to build one and, with me moving into a real place, I finally have the chance. Tips? Rough price? Other things?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Check out what came in the mail today

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haha, look again. That's just a normal curb. Nothing fun. I did spend a bit cruising around my neighborhood on it though, before I had to leave to meet some friends. Looking forward to taking it to the park and getting in a bowl.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Just put Bones Reds and Bones 81a bushings in my Stereo and am blown away by how much better it is! I only spent about ten minutes riding out in my apartment's parking lot, but it feels so much better than it did with the stock pieces. The normal bushings felt straight out of a Wal-Mart board and one of the bushings was hosed within an hour (even the "good" ones would spin less than ten seconds). Totally worth the $20 investment.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Whalley posted:

The stock Penny bushings are great, but thanks to this I threw some spare Reds I had sitting around in place of the stock bearings and holy crap this is the funnest thing I own.

Yeah, Penny's bushings and bearings are way better than the Stereo's. I actually came really close to just ordering Penny bushing, because I knew I liked them, but I'm glad I went with the Bones instead.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, over the last few weeks a buddy and I have made it a habit to go out skating at the local park (1hr drive for him, 10min drive for me) and, holy poo poo, am I enjoying it. Thankfully, I'm not having to start 100% from scratch, but I'm definitely a lot rusty. Like, dropping into the shallow section of the bowl (4ft) was a big thing, whereas I used to be able to drop in on a 9ft like it was nothing.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hit up the park today and was SO amped up to skate. Last week I was pushing myself to commit to things, instead of being a baby and bailing before I even attempted to land, and it was working pretty well. So, I went out today with that same mindset. Of course, this means that I ate poo poo ridiculously hard in under the first five minutes. And, of course, it was on something ridiculously easy (simply rolling down the transition from the shallow part of the bowl to the deep part, granted I was coming in hot and rolling fakie). I'm pretty sure I hyper extended my elbow a little. I hit hard enough that I didn't have the energy to even get out of the bowl and, to make things worse, I slammed so hard I though I was going to puke (meaning trying to just puke down the drain in the center). Never really regained much confidence in myself today. Maybe next time.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I always get super hungry right after a good slam. Like I've been having so much fun for so long I haven't eaten in a while and then BOOM. The pain passes but then I feel like I'm gonna die if I don't get a burrito soon. I blame this and a very early-in-career ankle break for why I suck at everything.

A buddy (that talked me back into skating) owns a burrito and ice cream place, so, when we go skating, he always brings a big cooler full of drinks and an insulated lunch box packed full with burritos (like, 3 big ones per person). He's the best friend.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Batu posted:

I was hoping for some advice with ollies. When I was little I could do an ollie standing still and I've picked that up quickly, but when I try it moving I just fall apart. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone have advice for moving ollies?

Start slow, increase gradually as you get more comfortable.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tenterhooks posted:

Try to ollie over something very small, it can help focus your actions. A twig / string / piece of paper or similar - something that'll move a little to indicate you didn't clear it but won't cause you to fall. Once you get the hang of that, you can move up to bigger twigs, crushed soda cans and finally... another skateboard! Ollieing up kerbs is good practice when you reach a certain stage too.

If that's not working, you can even just find / scratch a line on the ground and try to jump it. Don't even worry about getting all 4 wheels up at first, just get used to quickly tapping your tail on the floor as you approach and go from there.

This is really good advice. I learned by trying to clear a broom on the ground. The handle was enough of an obstacle to give me something to clear, but, if/when I hit it, it wouldn't send me flying.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

donJonSwan posted:

Same here, except I think I used a hose. The first day I got up a curb was loving magic.

I was lucky enough to have a really small curb (maybe 3" tall) outside my house that I could practice jumping up after I could clear a broom handle.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^ congrats! I recently relearned how to drop in, after being too nervous to try it for about a month. I just braced for impact (my dropping in motto has been "eat poo poo once, have it down") and went for it. Surprisingly, I made it, first try.

Sadly, I haven't skated since messing up my elbow. It still hurts to move certain ways or apply pressure to. Probably going to have to bite the bullet and have it looked at. I haven't wanted to risk making it worse, but I'm itching to skate again

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Horizontal Tree posted:

^^^ I've always wanted to try skating bowls, but I know for a fact I'd be terrified of learning to drop in, and I don't feel like its something I could get into without someone to help me get started. Maybe one day I'll have rad bowl-skating friends to teach me.

Like I said, I feel like you just kinda have to eat poo poo once. That first time, it's more about overcoming the fear and proving to yourself that, worst case scenario, you won't shatter into a million pieces. You'll either lean too far forward, and crash, or too far backward, and crash. From there, you'll know how to adjust. I was surprised as gently caress that I made it first try, after having not tried it in 5+ years. Maybe it was old muscle memory. Maybe it was my buddy standing with his board over the coping for 10 min, trying to will himself to do it, before I said, "gently caress it," and walked over and did it instead (he did it immediately after). Just go for it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

I bought a Stereo Cruiser the other day, never skateboarding a day in my life. And I've learned how to ride it and like "pedal" along, but i'm wondering if starting on a board this little will hamper me if I ever decide to go to a full size normal skateboard? Or would the skills transfer over?

Thanks guys. :)

They'll transfer. If anything, you'll be a better skater because of it. I'd recommend upgrading the bushings and bearings on your board. It makes a huge difference and it's loving cheap.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

Thanks mang. I'm pretty stupid when it comes to that stuff, is there a certain site i should look at to buy that stuff/ guides on how to change it?

I got a set of Bones Red bearings and Bones Hardcore bushing (in 81a durometer, which are the softs). Buying through your local skate shop is a nice move, but I'm lazy and ordered them through Amazon, since both things were Prime eligible. You can do a ton of reading to figure out all the fine details of bushings, like shape, hardness, etc, but, honestly, the best thing to do is try a few out and find out what you like. I'm a small guy and wanted a twisty, borderline scary ride, so I went with the softs. As far as changing them goes, it's pretty straight forward. Maybe watch a video on youtube if you want.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Like you said, it's your first board, so you don't really know how bad the stock one are. Upgrading those two things took my Stereo from buyer's remorse to favorite skateboard.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I think you've misinterpreted his post...

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I always rode 7.75s, but my most recent board is an 8. I've gotta say, I wish I'd stuck with 7.75. Granted, I'm a small guy, but I just prefer the feel of a smaller board.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tenterhooks posted:

Also, Jake Brown can 720 without holding on.

That was awesome (couldn't watch the first one, since it's not available for mobile), but I can never think of Jake Brown without that crash he had a few years back running through my head. I remember seeing it happen on TV while I was sitting in a busy restaurant and loudly exclaiming, "HOLY gently caress!" I guess I was the only one that saw it, or cared, based off the looks I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

His shoes...they just come off so goddamn fast...