Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
This thread (and needing a better way to get around campus) has inspired me to get back into skating. I used to be really into it from 5th to 9th grade, then I just got caught up in other things. I was never any good, I could ollie fine and do sloppy half-cabs and the occasionally noseslide, but I was also scared shitless of hurting myself.

It's weird looking at all the stuff that has happened with the skate scene. Ali Boulala had that accident that killed Shane Cross, Pop War went out of business (which sucks, I loved their decks) and there's all these kids I don't recognize. Corey Duffel still wears pants that show off his scrotum, I noticed.

I'm pretty excited, because I was able to find my old Thunder trucks (Mark Appleyard's. :)) with Ricta wheels attached, which saves me a good 70 dollars. I just need bolts and a new deck. I'm probably going to go with Alien Workshop or Girl, mainly because I've always liked the teams both of those companies sport.

Has anything else big happened in the skate scene in the past 4-5 years?

Also, I never stopped buying Nike SB shoes because they're so comfy, so that's covered too. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW

mike12345 posted:

Goddammit, skating is harder than I thought. I'm still not able to Olli over things, I've got some psychological block that makes me jump off the skateboard or not Olli at all. We're not talking two feet obstacles, this happens with a piece of wood as well.

Doesn't really matter how high, it's more the fact that I have to jump over something at a certain point. I think I have to get used to timing.

On a positive note, I managed the pop-shove-it twice today. I'm really proud. It looks cool, with your board whirling around like poo poo and then you land on it, heh.
I went through the same thing when I first starting skating. Really, the only advice I can give you is to just force yourself to go for it. You'll either A) Land it first try, B) Come close and realize that you can do it or C) Slam, get pissed, and then go for it again because you're upset.

Unfortunately, C is what happened with me most of the time.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW

zeroordie posted:

Also2, Jimmy Carlin is really loving good.
Jesus, that was nuts. Especially that double dolphin, which I think was a double varial flip.

I can't even imagine landing anything close to that. Has this guy been to the Berrics?

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
Have you guys seen Billy Mark's Battle Commander video at the Berrics?

http://theberrics.com/batcom090926.php

I've watched it ten times and I'm still blown away.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW

Sirkus posted:

Oh god, liking Mike V. is a skateboarding faux pas! It's up there with mall grabbing, beaming, and snaking.
I like watching him beat up people. :chord:

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW

zeroordie posted:

Oh man, I'm tree minutes away from watching the new Flip video. I feel like I'm fifteen again.
I just finished watching it.

I wasn't as flabberghasted as I was with Really Sorry, but I think Gonzales' part is the best I've seen since Marc Johnson in Fully Flared. He just goes after everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
So I had a free afternoon today, so I went and rolled around at local park today. I decided I might as well go for some tricks because I don't need my body for anything, and I ended up ollieing down a 5 stair.

I felt really cool. :smug:

Also, what decks are you guys riding right now? This is what I'm on:

I love looking at decks. Heh.

foastwab fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 15, 2009