Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Those no-comply flips he does up the stairs in the the last link are just ace. I just saw that Broadway Bomb video on the Earthwing site as well, holy poo poo!

The landshark is pretty small, about the size of a normal street deck with the front kick taken off. SC make a load of them with different graphics nowadays, great for just rolling place to place.
The Heroin setup with the big soft wheels is just normal street size and 8" wide but slightly asymmetric. Most of the street spots here are super rough, little 99a wheels barely even roll so I'm usually on that one.
The SC monster is huge, it came with 10" indys and is pretty much the same width all the way down!

The Girl was my bday setup, I don't think I would of bought Royal trucks myself but I'm actually finding them to be really good, they feel exactly like Ventures I had years ago that I loved and swore I'd never replace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
I had a look for one of those EW Crewzers when some pics were posted way back in this thread, they seem to be hard to get in the UK in that shape. The Jailbird complete looks pretty cool though, 9.5 is a nice size too.

The wheels on the Heroin are fairly cheap Mindless Speedballs.

They're meant to be the same hardness as the Road Rider wheels SC stick on all their Cruzer completes, but they ride a fair bit harder and faster. They're pretty sticky, and they make nose and tailslides an adventure, but you can skate super sketchy surfaces on 'em and they go forever at the park.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
I noticed the BMX/MTB thread is in the Watch and Woot now with the all the running and cycling threads, was wondering if NBWBW would be a bit busier if it was in there as well? There's probably quite a few skaters or people who might be interested in starting that might not have seen this thread. It does tend to get bumped off the page all the time by the ballsports, racing and whatever in SASS.

I Pledge The Legence fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 22, 2012

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Those are really cool. gotta catch em all! I've got quite a few decks just as hangers but madness lies down that road.
You start off casually browsing ebay and before you know it you're pimping yourself out for a blue-stained misprinted 1986 Roskopp.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
I had a set of Ventures for years and loved them, they never even broke in the end, just completely wore through the baseplate at the bolts!
If you want to go a bit cheaper have a look at Bullets - classic NHS brand, come in wider sizes and turn like beasts.

If you don't fancy huge soft wheels and don't want to spend a tonne Spitfire cheapshots are amazing for the price. They've got a nice urethane that still feels and sounds soft on rough surfaces, even though they're quite hard. I like the wider profile on spits too.

Post pics of your setup when you're all sorted, artistic shots of the concave, maybe some graphic closeups of greased bearings, we love that poo poo round here.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

JawKnee posted:

I wish I could say more about the second deck but I bought it for 5 bucks at a garage sale almost mint, and I forget what the guy at the shop had to say about it. The smaller board seems to throw off the size of the larger in that photo, they measure 38" by 8&3/4", and 31" by 9&3/4".

I've been considering picking up a new regular street skating deck lately, though I'm still doubtful I'll get anywhere on it; is it a good idea to try to go as light as possible for a relative beginner like myself? (I'm only 150lbs, so I'm not gonna be breaking anything too easily I think).

That Jeff Kendall deck got a SC classics re-release so it could be worth a bit of cash if it's an original. If it's the re-issue you still got an amazing bargain anyway.

http://www.skateandannoy.com/features/ebay/2006/ebay040/
The white colourway of that same deck went for $630 back in 2006!

Edit:
OK, I just came back from TK Maxx (TJ Maxx in the states I guess) and it's rare they have skate brand stuff here, maybe the odd DC or Indy tee, but by some weird coincidence today they had this for a tenner:

I didn't even know you could fit so much 80's on a t-shirt.
Proper awful graphic, I love it! Gonna wear it everywhere. I wonder if I could get one in pink...

I Pledge The Legence fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 25, 2012

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
I've got Spitfire, Alien Workshop, Bullet, Enuff and Chocolate street wheels and TBH I can't really tell the difference between most of them for park skating or rolling on smooth tarmac.

Spitfires seem to have the widest profile out of all of them, they sit almost flush with the axle nuts of the trucks, which I really like.
I've got three sets of spits, ancient (12 year old!) fireriders, basic white cheapshots and some 58mm Stu Graham sigs.
The Fireriders and Cheapshots I think are the standard spit formula (same as classics, bigheads, swirls etc) they are so much smoother than any of my other street wheels it's weird. If I was still skating concrete parks every day I don't think I'd use anything else.

New wheels fresh out of the plastic are the best. Anyone else get the urge to taste them? ...Just saying, It would be nice if OJ's tasted of orange.

I'm not a pervert

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Any Scottish nwbw skated the Crieff dam?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9nj1pMFg1o

I was up at the Crieff park on Sunday and it was totally empty. Great wee park too, I think if we get a nice weekend I'm going to head back and see what the dam is like.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
For the Scottish goons Stirling got its park finished at the end of the summer.

It's actually a bit nicer than the plans, there's a cradle on one end of the bowl plus an extension. Took me a while to get used to pumping the bowl but it was easy to transfer miniramp tricks straight over once that was down.

It's my local park so I've been skating nothing but bowl for a few months (and have learned to love kneepads) We've got a good crew of regulars too, so apart from the park being underwater for the next few months the skating has been rad.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

substitute posted:

I put this together last week. I'm old and out of shape, and I'm going to hurt myself.

I'm loving that!

I did a favour for a mate and he surprised me with a ridiculous (and strangely festive) setup

The Gullwing SuperPro 3's carve beautifully but are way too high for me, so I've swapped em out for 8'75 mini logos which I've been on all year and I can't recommend enough.
If you like skating with rails you can't beat the Big Ugly sticks. Those Powell Decks have insane concave so Pig Rails and Thin Ribs are too low to work on them.

The wheels are

64mm. Feels weird skating anything else now. Was on Pig 60mms before, good but they got nothing on the BB's. I've already bought a backup set 'cos they're hard to get over here.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
That's a nice looking park wigbot, tranny looks kinda small in the bowls though.
We've just got the plans for the new EK park just down the road from me. Indoor pool, oh yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

wigbot v2.0 posted:

Aye, some are a bit tight, most are perfectly serviceable though!

(Penis bowl)

Just waiting for the buzz to wear off and the schools to go back so it gets a bit quieter!

Man, that bowl actually looks perfect from that angle, loads bigger looking than the plan! Nice layout too, it's similar to my local in Stirling but they messed that up a bit by putting the spine in the perfect position for idiot bmx kids to launch blind into the bowl from the other side of the park.

Dunno if I posted this but this is where I've been skating in the winter. The bowl is brutal, super tight and more like a swimming pool I guess, fun though.

Leyden and Benson are locals there, those guys kill it. I don't even know if Ben is still sponsored or anything but the dude can get so much pop out of a miniramp it's ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJjTNdDMk7g