Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Indys are much loved amongst skaters from pretty much every discipline for their performance. I don't know any other truck that is more widely used throughout all of skating. Indys are king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If anyone wants a drat high quality truck that will last forever, and turn better than an Indy, look at Surf Rodz INDeeSZ. They're a bit over twice what cast trucks cost, but trust me, the advantages are worth it. They can handle street or vert at one sesh, hardcore slalom the next, and gnarly rear end downhill after that. Might seem like overkill to a lot of street/park skaters, but this is progression. The lines between "longboarding" and "shortboarding" hardly exist anymore, and its really great to see what were traditionally longboard companies start to put out more versatile stuff. poo poo is progressing, and these are game changers.
http://eastcoastcoreskates.com/Surf-Rodz-139mm-INDeeSZ-8mm-Fixed-Axle-sz8mm139.htm

@Whalley, would those bushings happen to be pink 77a Reflex? Sound a bit soft for most people, especially for anything but slalom imo. I like a pink Reflex barrel and 74a white Khiro hourglass combo for a twitchy front slalom truck

@Zigmidge how do you like your Paris flipped? I used to run them flipped when I was riding a stiff topmount and had to push long distances, otherwise I'd ride them normally. Ime Paris feel like poo poo flipped, and its really not worth flipping trucks usually. Paris don't respond to it as well as others because of the deep top bushing seat though.

Off to go work on switch toeside tailblunts. Wish me luck!

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

I would agree with everything you said if these were on a real longboard. On the Ceviche they're perfect :) Brings the deck just that much lower to the ground while avoiding the need for skateboard trucks. I hate streetdeck trucks/wheels.

On the topic of INDeeSZ, they're badass trucks but kind of overkill. The lines are blurring, yes, but it still comes down to using the right tool for the right job. Cheap Indys for street, cheap Paris/Randals for freeriding and Aeras/Kahas/whatever if you really need precision trucks. As a board builder the one thing I'm realizing faster than the rest of the industry is those all-around boards that try to fit street/freeride AND DH are all bullshit. I feel the same way regarding hardware.

I could see flipping Paris would work well on the Ceviche. Vastly different ride on such a small flexy board.

All-around boards are definitely not bullshit... Soon I'll have 2 decks that I could pop ollies and kickflips (if I could kickflip well) on, and bomb hills with the same setup. Its progression, some people want to be able to do whatever they want on their decks and some people can really put their boards to great use with kicktails and such. If you can skate hills comfortably on a small board with a kicktail (or double kicks) then why not? I've taken my double kick close to 30mph and it was solid and fun as hell.
Precision trucks are a huge step up from cast, and if you have the cash and want them, they're a really drat fun investment. Its nice to buy a truck and know you won't have to worry about it bending, or numerous other issues. Straight, true axles with properly spaced bearings make a huge difference in roll speed, slides, and overall feel.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If your back foot is sliding off, try hanging your heel over the rail a little more. Eventually you'll get more comfortable and come adjust foot positions more. Remember to keep your weight mostly over your front truck, too. Feel free to message me on Steam if you ever have any skate-related questions
I've been working on the whole street skating on a big board, and its a lot tougher to learn than on a normal small board because of the size and weight. I'm having trouble landing stuff mostly. I can get the board to pop and spin for shuv-its off the nose but it just seems to get away from me every time. Any of you street guys have tips for me, or any general suggestions of things to try or learn?

Heres a cool video that was posted on another forum. 44x10 double kick!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyVlXxUXDcw

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
A flowly transition park like that looks like it'd be fun to carve around on a slalom board or something when its empty. Pumping around the walls and all, fun!

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Wheel shape and urethane matters more than durometer. Are you looking for slip or grip?
Look around https://www.longboardskater.com tell us what you like the looks of

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Police presence at my normal haunts is no issue. The one time I was stopped it was just because the cop was looking for someone. The street skaters get kicked out of a particular parking lot sometimes, but I've never had trouble.
Now, if I go 2 miles north to all the big hills (north shore of Long Island) it becomes illegal to skate AT ALL, which is absolutely loving ridiculous. I had a constable threaten to arrest my friend and I the moment we crossed the town lines from ours to theirs, and thats how I even found out. The guy was a dick and doesn't even have the power to do anything he threatened me with, though. I have to stay away from a certain area when I want to skate hills, but I've never had problems elsewhere.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
The most important part of bearing spacers are avoiding blown out bearings, and simply making them function properly. If you don't have the spacer in there, you will squeeze the bearings out of alignment if you tighten your wheels all the way down.
Been loving my Comet Ethos, such an awesome board. I need to get a second set of Caliber trucks and set up my Fullbag Elise for going faster again

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

ZanderZ posted:

Oh and mongo is way better. It makes it so you can stand upright instead of hunching over. It's also more power and a bigger stride so when you race, you take up way more room and it's harder for people to get around you.

I hope you're a troll. It is downright UNSAFE to footbrake mongo because of the lack of stability from taking your weight off your front truck. Saying you take up more room and people can't get around you is just dumb because the only time you're even standing and pushing like that is at the starting line, and many races only let you push so many times, or up until a certain point.

That said, definitely learn to push both ways early on. Riding switch will make you a hell of a lot better

Anyway... heres a short clip of some crazy rear end huge board shredding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1lA9CABcEU

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 13, 2011

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Brazilian footbraking is different from normal mongo footbraking in that you have your back leg on the board, and your weight really low. You also hold the board, and your weight is much lower and more forward than standing mongo.

I'm all awkward cause I ride and push regular, but to use a tail I need to ride switch. I'm bad at pushing switch so it means that I go mongo when trying to ride a street deck or double kick. It really is a hard thing to reteach yourself, so try to learn early on to ride both ways.
The best way is definitely to ride mellow hills or an easy garage switch, slow enough you can run off, but try to control your speed through carves. Learn to speed check and switch 180 if sliding is your thing, and then go from there, cause at that point you should have it down.
I need to make more effort to ride and push switch, and to snowboard switch more

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I can do it lower speeds, or just sit down and brake with both feet, but at the speeds I can do that sliding is just easier and more fun. Its great for stopping from high speeds.
Planning a sesh this weekend after really not skating much over the past 6 months. Over the summer I had broken ribs and an injured shoulder, when I healed up I had started biking to get around and to get into better shape, and then a little while back I broke my hand and got tendonitis in my shoulder from a bike accident. I need a good sesh... gonna feel good to throw some big slides.
I'm one of those people who can never make up their mind about equipment, so like usual I'm without a downhill board. Maybe after christmas I'll have money to pick up something nice and skate more hills

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I picked up a new board a few weeks ago, but haven't really ridden it all that much yet. Only got one short session in so far.
Bombsquad Agent Orange, really comfy and a good size and shape. Its odd adjusting to being on a longer wheelbase (26.5 or 28.5 options) than the 24" on my Comet Ethos, mostly because there is so much less grip. Throwing slides at low speeds it was so much easier to get the board out but I found myself loosing balance a lot. Part of that is from hardly having skated since last spring or so. When its nicer I'm gonna bike to the decent hills north of me and spend more time goin' fast and throwing slides.
Here it is next to my ex-girlfriends Comet Crystal Chalice, with Caliber 44* trucks and 80a blue Metro Motion wheels.

No riser, no bite, just the way I like it.
The wheel wells are really good, but because Calibers move the effective wheelbase in compared to other RKP trucks, they match the inner wheel wells perfectly when on the outer wheelbase. I don't really plan to run it on the shorter wheelbase with these trucks so its not really a big deal.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
All of these videos need to be posted here because holy gently caress big boards own if you can ride them like a boss. Seriously watch them all and be amazed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1lA9CABcEU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGcuiPrp8U8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vadnd9qNdAh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHNNO3MBQ44

Obscuritatem, how big are those boards? I think my friends sister has one just like the left, but with a different graphic. Its fun for a quick run to 7/11 or similar.
I can't decide if I want to thin my quiver by selling either my single-kick (Comet Ethos 37) or giant double-kick (Earthwing Crewzer or just keep both and learn to use kicktails properly. I could use money for other things and I don't really skate enough but I'm so attached to them

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 18, 2012

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
What wheels are on the Heroin? The colour makes me think Abec 11 but I can't tell anything else.
My big double kick is 38x9.5, and I have Indy 215s and some worn-down-to 61mm 80a Venom Sidewinders. Its the same as the guy I posted above is riding in the second video, but without the extra inch on either end... and I suck at riding it
Although, I do have the rad rear end old one with awesomer graphics

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I was probably the one who posted the Crewzer earlier in the thread. Its a really awesome deck and it pops super well for being so big, and I've had plenty of street skaters impressed by how it rides. The Venom Sidewinders I have on it are awesome for it, they're really slippery but still plenty soft and comfy. Made for freeriding and big slides, but work really well on there since I've taken 10mm off of them.

Heres a UK retailer that carries Earthwing, Crewzer is out of stock though.
http://www.octanesport.com/earthwing-crewzer.html

Earthwing is also coming out with a new Drifter in two sizes soon. Designed for tech sliding but I'm sure it'd be equally great as an oversized, soft wheel street deck

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Holy shiiiit Tony Hawk and Andy Macdonald doubles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PpD9z_309Y

What are you guys riding Yerok? I wish we had garages to ride where I live, especially since my setups are all perfect for riding them

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 22, 2012

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If you're going to be using it to get around more than doing flippy tricks and all, go with higher trucks so you can turn better, and softer wheels. As someone who is into sliding down hills rather than down rails, I'd suggest Indy's or Aces, and I could possibly point you towards some nice small soft wheels if you want

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If anyone wants little soft wheels, seriously check these out http://skately.com/shop/p/venom-street-snakes-skateboard-wheels
I ride the old Venom Sidewinders on my big double kick, but I've worn them down to the size of these. (Old Sidewinders were 71mm and red thane like the Street Snakes, just 10mm bigger)

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

donJonSwan posted:

Don't buy wheels for the picture on them, you'll be really sad after about 6 hours of skating around when it's all scratched off.

From my experience, all company wheels are generic and work well. I'd rather skate Bones or Spitfires, but whatevers.

Rainskates and Venom both make better wheels that cost a little more scratch.

This is true. Smaller, harder wheels are often stock urethane from whatever company pours them, whereas longboard wheels from companies like Abec 11, Venom, Metro, Rainskates, Orangatang, Sector 9, Cult, Divine, Nersh, etc, have a lot more testing and time put into them. Urethane formula makes a HUGE difference in ride characteristics. It really matters more on bigger, softer wheels, that are being ridden faster, slid on, trusted to grip corners at speed, and wear evenly while doing it all. These days urethane formulas are tweaked and tested constantly before a company settles on a final formula, and will sometimes even have a slightly different formula between different durometers of the same wheel design. Using stock urethanes and shapes saves time and money
I love wheels and I've ridden so many that picking new ones is tough, thinking about the shape and urethane and how I want them to act

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Dim, Tired, and Elderly: Ceramic bearings are only really worth it if you do a lot of rain skating, because they wont rust up. They'll still get dirty just like steel bearings, but they'll last longer. Just clean your bearings regularly and you'll be fine.

BonerKid: For just cruising around you can go with pretty much anything. If its a city and a lot of sidewalk riding then a shorter wheelbase and kicktail could be pretty beneficial, since it'll turn faster and you can pop down off curbs, or even ollie up them if you learn to. There is a ton of variety in boards, trucks, and wheels for longboards these days, so you have a ton of options. Have you been looking at anything already?
If you want to chat about boards and gear elsewhere, I'd be up for it. If anyone happens to use Steam we could chat there, its the only chat client I really use these days besides facebook. My Steam id is king_nintendoid
I sadly don't skate near as much as I used and my skills have suffered, and I don't follow new stuff as much as I used to, but I'm still an encyclopedia of gear and knowledge, and I'm willing to help and like chatting about it

I have a massive gear boner right now:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
This thread needs a fuckin' revival.
I'm slowly getting a bit of skating skill back and getting my slides back. I also found out that I can ollie my Agent Orange which is pretty awesome. The only problem is that its got Vicious grip on it and that poo poo cuts you, so if I flick the board up into my leg, or flip it into the back of my leg like I did earlier, it will draw blood. Not fun. I hate not really having people to skate with... its so much more fun with a group. I wish I had a crew of good skaters to push me an get me doing other things.

How is everyone enjoying the quickly expanding skate season?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Budget Dracula posted:

Is there an all around good setup for someone beginning to long-board? I'm not sure if it would be better to be stable and not being able to carve to slow down or a setup that allows for maneuverability but increases wobbliness?

There is a saying: Loose Trucks Save Lives.
If you give up too much maneuverability it can be a pain, but it will reduce stability to an extent. What are you looking to do with the board? Do you have any boards/setups/parts in mind?
Starting on a good carvy board will help you learn and gain balance and stability quicker, and from there you can see what speeds you can handle. If you mean to get into actual downhill after that you can either get a board for goin' fast and bein' :krad: or use what you already have, assuming it (and you) can handle it.
I know a shitload about longboards but I'm admittedly not very good or fast, especially with my recent downtime. Even then, I've taken a hybrid slalom board over 30mph downhill in the past, something I hadn't done much on downhill boards at the time. Comfort, confidence, and familiarity with your setup will make you much more stable. Slalom boards are small, extremely twitchy and turny, and as grippy as it gets, so I didn't even have the comfort of being able to slide if I needed to or wanted to stop. It was a great confidence booster for me at the time.

As I've said before in the thread I love chatting about gear and all so I'm always up for answering questions

Lately I've really been wanting to put together a smaller double kick to get into some old skool slashy cruising, since as much as I love my EW Crewzer, its a bit big and boaty. I've also really been wanting to get another set of slalom trucks since I have a slalom deck and wheelset sitting around. I also really want to get another freeride board, so I can set my Agent Orange up for hills and not use it for everything... I need a freakin' job.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 12, 2012

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Today I started doing 360 shuv-its and big spins off the nose of my dh deck. Of course when I finally start landing these things its on the big flat dh/freeride board and not on my double kick

Getting a "lovely" Sector 9 or similar pintail is a perfect way to start. They're perfectly good boards, and with a simple change of bushings, and probably the addition of bearing spacers (why don't all boards come with these by now? Its such an important piece of hardware) you can have a great ride.
I started on a budget pintail and the only things that sucked about it were it being prone to wheelbite, and the lack of concave. I could still have a lot of fun on that original setup I had, with a simple bushing swap and risers.
A friend started on the same deck and trucks as my first board, but with slightly smaller wheels and he changed bushings and loved it.
If you're just cruising and pushing around its all you need. If you want to get into downhill, freeride, slalom, etc, then your setup starts to matter a bit more

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 14, 2012

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I really really love this deck and wish I could buy one
Its 9.25 wide in front, 8.75 in back, 8.25 in the narrow part. I'm not sure on the overall length but the normal wheelbase (between the kicks) is 16" so I'm guessing about 35"

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 15, 2012

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Post pix! Have you not decided on trucks yet?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Budget Dracula, what are the width and wheelbase on that? Looks like a good starter cruiser. What are you looking for in a truck?

Wise Old Shitashi, good to hear you're having fun again. I wouldn't bother with ceramics, depending how much you'd have to pay for them. Also bearing spacers are your friend.

Seriously, everyone should have bearing spacers. Everyone. If a shop employee says they're useless and you should just throw them out cause they're extra weight, call them a blithering idiot and walk away laughing with smugness

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Club Sandwich posted:

Can you elaborate a little bit more on the necessity of bearing spacers? I've heard about them in relation to long boarding, but I'm not really sure what they do. For reference, I mainly skate street and mini.

Bearings are not meant to handle any side loads at all. Tightening down your axle nuts without spacers will cause the inner races to push towards each other slightly, knocking the bearings a bit out of alignment. Spacers keep everything lined up, will improve bearing life, and remove chatter from any sideways force on your wheels (like sliding)
I have to disagree with Zigmidge about them being irrelevant for street. They help prevent bearing blowouts from doing tricks too. I know a few hardcore street/park skaters who got some good quality spacers and were extremely happy with them because their bearings lasted longer in general.

Budget Dracula posted:

I measured it at 28' 1/2in for the wheelbase and around 9' 1/2in for the width. Basically I need something for cruising/carving that isn't going cause wheelbite.

Is this measured from the inner or outer holes? It seems a bit long to me if its measured between the inner holes (wheelbase is always measured between inner mounting holes)
For trucks I'd suggest getting some 50* reverse kingpin trucks. Randal, Paris, Gunmetal, and Caliber, are the top choices to me. Gunmetals and Calibers feel a bit more solid and stable than Randal and Paris, but the latter have flip-able hangers which will add or remove a little bit of leverage and change the ride height very slightly. The taller, unflipped position is generally better feeling, you get more leverage.
Reverse kingpin trucks are a bit nicer for carving and a bit more stable than normal (traditional/vertical kingpin) skateboard trucks.
Take a look around here, its my go-to shop for most gear: http://longboardskater.com/longboard/Longboard-Trucks.html
I'd also suggest picking up some bushings to mess around with and fine tune your ride. All the trucks I mentioned except Randals have pretty great stock bushings but they're still the best way to get it feeling how you want.

also enter the code silverfish on that website for a slight discount

EDIT: also forgot to say that you could manage with either 9" (around 150mm) or 10" (around 180mm) trucks on that deck. 10"/180's will be a bit more stable and have slightly less leverage and grip. 9/150 will stick out a bit less, but have a little more leverage and grip. Whichever you choose would work. If you wind up switching to a downhill or freeride board in the future, the wider trucks would transfer over to that better.
Also, just know that if you learn to slide on those Cadillacs, they will wear SUPER fast and are kinda prone to flat spots

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 26, 2012

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I'd actually go with the narrower trucks then. You'll get a bit more response and narrower trucks are nicer for carving since you have more leverage, imo. Also less wheel overhang which is always nice.
Thats a good size though, and with 50* trucks you'll get plenty of turn and wheelbite should be easy to avoid

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Won 8 sets of Blood Orange bushings on Facebook today. 2 barrels and 2 cones each of 85a, 88a, 90a, and 93a :toot:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

FoxxorTheRed posted:

He also picked up a Landyachts Dinghy which is is going to modify into a replica of some 70's G&S model that Peralta rode. I'm pretty excited to see how that turns out.

Before he ruins a perfectly fun little mini, you should let him know that G&S still makes Warptail and Peralta Warptail 2 reissues that are identical to the originals

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Also: stop thinking that its easier while you're not moving. Once you get used to it, moving ollies are a hell of a lot easier to pop and catch. It can be scary at first and you might feel like you're gonna fall or send yourself flying, but you'll not be going fast enough that you can't just walk it out. Fear not, ollies are easy!
At least, thats how I feel, and the only things I ollie are at least 37" and heavy (I admittedly do not ollie often, as I'm usually not even on a board with a kicktail)

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
This is going to be interesting... :getin:
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20121018/new-york-city/court-puts-brakes-on-massive-broadway-bomb-skateboard-race

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 19, 2012

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
^^^ I've always wanted to try skating bowls, but I know for a fact I'd be terrified of learning to drop in, and I don't feel like its something I could get into without someone to help me get started. Maybe one day I'll have rad bowl-skating friends to teach me.

I popped an ollie on my Comet Ethos 37 and was complimented on how high and clean it was. I never ollie and am lovely at them but apparantly this one looked hella pro. Get lucky while popping ollies in front of folks erryday (in front of a skate shop, no less)

Did anyone get into NYC for the Bomb? It turned out to be a great day for me, even though my brother and I made it in late. We cruised down Broadway, went to the Longboard Loft so I could get a helmet and check out the new Rayne Avenger that I want, skated by the freedom tower, then hopped a subway up to central park and skated around that for a while before meeting some friends of my brothers and Queens and hitting a bar. Overall a great day skating with my brother.. what better way to spend time together besides a day skating and my first time out at a bar?

The new Avenger is so freakin' light, and the construction is amazing. The deck thins out from the center to the rails, and it keeps it super light, stiff, and adds wheel clearance. Really sweet board, and a nice change from the old (09) Avenger that I used to have and is still probably the favourite of every deck I've owned.
Look at this concave:

I'm just debating how I'd wanna set it up... I think 50* Calibers might be more fun than 44*, and of course clear Vicious grip and my now-tiny OG red Venom Sidewinders? I need to decide if I'm going to order one this weekend, or wait until after I build my new computer. Its a tough choice, but I think I want to get it before it gets ball-freezing cold.
Blue 50* Calibers on it?

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 23, 2012

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Calibers are a pretty great feeling cast truck, imo. They're not at all sloppy, and are pretty versatile. Rakeless hangers are something some people love, and some hate.
I really want to give Ronins a shot, and I'm definitely picking up the cast version when they come out in a month or two:

I've owned Surf Rodz Indeesz/TKPs, and an Airflow for slalom before, and both are freakin' great trucks. Just sold the SZs to my friend on an Agent Orange with Otang In Heats, and thats funding the Avenger purchase. I'll also still get to ride them and borrow them if I ask, so its a sweet deal to me.
I wanna try out some RipTide bushings and get some new pivot cups for my Calibers, they make everything feel a ton better from what I've heard, so I'll give it a shot. I haven't bought bushings in like 2 years and over the summer I won 8 sets of Blood Orange (Caliber) bushings on Facebook and still haven't even opened a single package of them.

I'm gonna be using the Avenger for all around downhill, sliding, carving, general fun-having. Coming off of such a long break from skating means that my Ethos (24" wb) is not the most stable thing for me, but its also not as carvy and rebound-y as I'd like, thus the Avenger with 50* trucks. Diving right back into skating after a huge time off-board and I'm loving it, regardless of my feet hurting like hell

I actually also need to pick up some Tracker RTX/S for slalom sometime too. I have a deck and wheels, I just don't have slalom trucks anymore. Man, having a job is making me just as poor as when I was unemployed. Its just that now I have more :krad: poo poo

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 23, 2012

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Well I've never even skated a park, so maybe someday.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Batu posted:

Thanks for the advice on ollies; I can now jump up curbs. Only ankle deep in pussy, though.

The ollie chat actually got me to put my little soft wheels back on my giant double kick and now I'm gonna learn to push switch and ollie it. Its awkward to ride DH/slalom/sliding regular, but street decks or anything where I'm using the tail mongoofy. I'm a wonky rider. Learning to push switch will be good all-around and it will mean I don't have to push mongo when I'm actually trying to ollie and crap

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I have a huge boner for oversized double kicks even though I am poo poo at riding them. If you read my posts here you may know that I can ollie badly but beyond that am not great at riding boards with kicks (even though all my boards right now have them) and I kinda wanna change this.
I'm looking at getting another double kick to replace my old Earthwing Crewzer since the OG points from this deck make me want to hang it up before its really shredded up, and I want to downsize slightly. Want something for cruising around, sliding, general shredage.
Looking at the Rayne Renegade and Phantom which are 34.5" and 37" long respectively, at 9.5" wide. Both are big, symmetrical (a bonus to me) with big steep kicks and the awesome Rayne construction/feel. The style is definitely slide/freeride inspired but I like that and will be using the deck for that purpose too. Yes, I'm a Rayne fanboy, but I've had nothing but positive experiences with them and its a company I LOVE to support, even if people complain about their pricing.
Either deck with some Indy 149s or 169s and small medium-duro wheels like 60mm Abec 11 No Skoolz in 84a or 88a, maybe. There are so many options.

So really, what should I do to learn to actually use tails and poo poo a bit more?
How do I adapt to the fact that I ride hills regular but use kicktails mongoofy?
I know a few obvious answers like "ride more, push switch" etc but if anyone has other tips I'd appreciate it.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I've heard limited good things about both (but no bad yet, besides the prices)
The Kanthaka looks pretty nice, like a cross between the Rayne Phantom and Bustin Yoface to me. I'd love to give one a try but man, the Rayne Phantom/Renegade are the same construction for only around $100, whereas the Kanthaka is 180 or so. I'd pay that much for a nice dh/freeride board but not for a double kick. I'd get one if I got a great deal on it, though. I do like that its a bit narrower than some of the other big double kicks these days. I still think I'm gonna pick up a Rayne Renegade or Phantom (and maybe the second too, if I like them) and hang up my Earthwing Crewzer on the wall, since its one of the last of the old graphics and its still in decent shape.

Has anybody seen the new Indys yet? Cleaner casts, better pivots, barrel bottom bushing, and 6-hole baseplates! Its about drat time some of the best trucks ever get an update.

Rayne Renegade + new Indy 149/159/169 (dunno) + Abec 11 No Skoolz or Metro Micro Motions or a similar small slidey wheel = bound to be fun

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
The Chubby Unicorn construction is cool, but goddamn is it completely unneeded for skateboarding. It is literally snowboard construction, without the metal edges. Snowboards are built that way because they have to be to perform properly, whereas skateboards simply don't. Its a cool idea but its also really loving stupid at the same time.
The Kanthaka is a nice looking bamboo/glass board that is just stupidly overpriced (like all Loadeds. good boards, but not worth the cost)
As I already said, Rayne is making a similar board with pretty much identical construction for nearly half the price, even though their DH/freeride boards are priced around that of Loaded boards (but are worth the 160-200 because they feel amazing)
If I ever meet someone who bought a Kanthaka at full price, I'll try it and see how it is, but internally I will be shaking my head at that idiot for not just getting something else. Double kicks are obviously gonna get beat up faster than dh/fr boards, will get massive razor tail, and will lose pop. The life is so much more limited, its just not worth it.

A goon buddy (who I'm surprised hasn't posted it here yet) just picked up an Elephant and loves it. They make some nice old-school inspired shapes with modern maple+concave construction and look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
You are not too old. What kind of riding are you looking to do? Do you have any experience?