Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I have Smith Scabs for when I'm sliding and riding downhill and really, you won't feel poo poo if you fall on them. They're clouds of love strapped onto your knees.
I brought them snowboarding on a particularly icy day once, and they paid off because I could be a little less cautious and wound up having a few hits that would have been nasty bruises, and possibly the end of my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
That is the best skateboard story :allears:

My switch from skating to cycling has cost me far too much. I did sort of the opposite and went to the bike shop to buy a new bike today.

Time to sell all my old skate gear cause I really only need one setup these days.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
You should come ride a Broadway Bomb

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Definitely is NOT a race for 99% of people there. Its a giant loving party throughout all of the lower end of Manhattan. Skaters everywhere, and a bunch of real afterparties at bars, houses/apartments, etc. The whole weekend is the event, not just the Bomb itself. I know its different from Board Meetings, but its the same idea in a different area with a different feel, I guess.
I might see about going into the city for it again this year, its just a train ride for me (Long Island)

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
$130 definitely seems high for a street setup. It sure is good that they're cheaper than longboards, cause at least when you drop $130 on a longboard deck, its gonna last a loooot longer.
I will admit to paying about that much for a single (slalom) truck in the past, though.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Lets see... DH deck $100-200, trucks around $50 (or $150+ for precisions), wheels $40-50, bushings + hardware + grip + bearing + all those other random bits can be another $40-50... Longboards can get pricey depending what you buy.
That said, you can easily spend a lot less by getting a less pricey deck and by :spergin: less about bushings and poo poo.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Gone are the days when Kryptonics was awesome.

I still occasionally wish I could get some hands on some old Krypto wheels... they're legendary for freeride/sliding

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Sudden activity in this thread makes me want to skate again. Its been a while. My Comet Ethos has been living at my friends house so he has a way to get to and from work.
Maybe come spring I'll build up a nice little topmount with some Ronins and use my nice bike to ferry myself to and from the nice hills

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Ceramics don't even make a difference for downhill, unless you're racing at a top level and have too much money to spend, or you're trying to break records or something. They're more money and not any less fragile than Bones Reds, which you can buy cheap and clean and lube them and they'll last ages. Bearing failure is from sideloads, the actual speeds and loads that are put on skate bearings in the direction they're supposed to spin are nothing in comparison. The industry could use a switch to a bearing design that handles side loads better.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Pretty much all of the high-level racers I've known and talked to run really cheap bearings. Wheel choice really is everything. All the different thanes have different feels and a lot of it is personal preference.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
A normal double kick shape and drop-through trucks don't exactly work together. You can get drop-through freeride boards with small kicks but you're not gonna get anything you can ollie like a street deck, if thats what you want.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Thats about as cheap as its gonna get for good quality. You really don't need much on the ends to do what you want to though. I used to be able to pop-shuv-it my topmount DH decks.
I think I'm gonna have someone to skate with again soon so I think I need to pick up some fresh bearings and relearning how to do things without falling too much. Ride bike to hills, skate hills, ride back. A good process.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 31, 2015

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Bushing brand partially depends on what kind of trucks you have, but really, just get some thin risers so you can actually lean enough to turn.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Ooooh man I wanna go ride that on a slalom deck.
Now if only they could build a Velodrome.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Theres a reason Indy 215's are the go-to classic VKP truck for longboards and freeride

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Get comfy foot braking asap. If you can't, you're not riding safely, imo.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Loose, so you can turn. Stop by dragging your rear foot to slow down.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Currently they are super loose (my friend who gave me this board can actually skate) and it feels sketch just to stand on the board. I don't want the speed wobbles!

If they're so loose they're floppy and sketchy, then tighten them up a bit. Alternative would be to swap bushings. If they're loose enough that they're a bit floppy then that could give you a firmer lean without cutting your ability to turn. Bushings do wear out over time as well, lose some of their rebound and just start to degrade. Slightly softer bushings that are a bit tighter, or harder bushings at the same tightness could help. Softer top, hard bottom is also pretty common on longboards, dunno if anyone bothers doing it on street decks since I don't think most people even change bushings ever.
I highly doubt you'll get speed wobbles on a street deck.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I've never managed to ride a truck until the kingpins got sloppy, but its probably because I'd wind up bending them or just otherwise replacing them before they got the chance. And that's on downhill boards! I have managed to bend a kingpin once though, and I've broken one. No idea how those even happened.
CNC trucks loving own for downhill and freeride stuff though. Can't see myself bending a set of those, but I don't have any anymore. I had some Surf Rodz (dumb company name, great products) that used helicoil inserts in the hanger and baseplate that the axles and kingpin threaded into, rather than nuts. Cool system, very solid. I wound up selling them, though in hindsight I wish I hadn't. I'd be a little worried about long-term durability with them but everything was replaceable in individual parts. Helicoil issue? Get a new hanger/axle. They rode so well I would've just dealt with it even if they did happen to break somehow.
I don't really skate very often anymore but when I do think about it, I think I miss my slalom board the most. Not because of actually slaying cones, but just because they are amazingly fun boards to cruise and rip around the neighborhood on, and bombing smaller hills on one is super fun.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 24, 2016

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
The kingpin hole in the hanger will open up a bit by the time they start to bend, yeah. Doesn't really affect the ride the way a wobbly kingpin would though.. I'd certainly not want to try riding downhill with even a little bit of that slop.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Downhill is also awesome, here is a video of a guy i know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pua0Rl1QhZw

Wow, he's riding loving Kahas. I didn't think Kahalani's were still around. I really, really wanted a set of those back in the day.

Guess what angry street skater, your sport was grown out of something that was a shitload closer to longboarding and downhill than what people like you consider "real skating" these days. And all your posts prove are that you're a closed-minded rear end in a top hat in a community and sport that in my experience is the exact opposite. I used to street skate too, when I was a teenager. I was bad at it and could only do the basics, and I got around to and from school and various spots on a longboard. Then I started riding downhill and sliding and getting better at that side of skating and fell in love with it. Then I built a slalom board because why the gently caress not? There's no slalom riding or racing here and I didn't have cones or anything but why should I care, they're fun as hell to ride. How dare people do something DIFFERENT in the sport!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
gently caress yeah Comet! Nice ride.
I'm still running an Ethos 37 prototype from way back when I skate, love it so much. That boards going on a wall when it dies.