Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

so i'm new to this poo poo and i put together a skateboard, found out i'm getting wheel bite (the enamel or whatever is rubbing off on like two wheels) it isnt too bad and i tightened the kingpin but i miss the agility from it being loose

First of all, everyone gets wheel bite. Every single person I know that rides regularly has 4 marks on the deck above their wheel from it catching and rubbing every now and then. Wheel bite happens a lot but it's only an issue when it tosses you off your board.

In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing to be gained from riding tight trucks. When I was younger, I would ride tight trucks simply because I wasn't comfortable on my board yet. Over the years, I've slowly loosened them to the point where I ride with them as loose as I can before the nut on the kingpin falls off.

When you start doing trick variations with spins in them, even as simple as a 180 or a shuvit, you want to be able to roll with whatever momentum you're coming out with. Pivoting and powersliding are more common ways of correcting a landing but having loose trucks gives that extra option. Every time I go to a skatepark, I see some kid with tight trucks landing like 45 degrees off and having to step off his board because his momentum is going in a different direction than what the board is "locked" into.

of course i was stupid as poo poo and got 8 inch trucks for a 7.75 deck because i heard the width was good for stability or something. wheels are 58

Mismatched trucks are usually only noticeable for me when they are not as wide as the board. My trucks are 8.5 so I generally ride an 8.25-8.75 deck, depending on whatever the gently caress's available when I change decks. At the worst in your case, a tiny little axle poking out is really only going to matter if you're doing really tight smith grinds on ledges. If anything, it'll force you to get used to dipping the nose more down and to the side, which not only looks better, but feels a lot better and is the most important part of pushing through curved rails/ledges.

will it work if i get thicker riser pads or something

Riser pads are a gimmick to boost sales and functionally should only be used for longboards or otherwise HUGE wheels. Like giant, soft filming board wheels.

Every board I've ridden that had riser pads felt like poo poo when you pop. I mean, they still pop like any other board, but the stupid plastic/foam poo poo they make those loving things out of just feels like it absorbs whatever it is that makes it feel like an actual "snap" if you know what I mean.

don't want to buy new trucks or whatever the gently caress altogether. i really like how it feels except for the minor bite which i assume wont be minor anymore once i go quicker

If you like how it feels then definitely don't change your trucks until you have to from actual wear and tear. Again, wheel bite is just something that happens to everyone. The real secret to avoiding it is all in the ankles and just getting your balance on point which is something that comes naturally from just riding around for a few years.

Also, the faster you go, the less likely wheel bite is going to toss you off your board. Always go faster. Seriously make a point to always try and go at least a little bit faster than what you're perfectly comfortable with. For reference, see any video with Dennis Busenitz or Omar Salazar in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNZFTiYw3fg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgvU6NxXOxA&t=58s

substitute posted:

Try applying some wax to the board where the wheels bite. I've heard of some pros doing this. If that doesn't work, try a combo of tighter trucks and/or risers.

Wheel bite is more so user error than a mechanical issue. Usually people get wheel bite from not properly distributing their weight as they're landing and put too much on their heels. You shouldn't be getting bad wheel bite from simply rolling around and turning.

Zigmidge posted:

Have you got access to an orbital sander? Make your own wheel wells. Takes five minutes. Line up your wells with the midpoint between the baseplate holes (or use your wheel bite marks) and go to town with the sander. Apply some cheap outdoor varathane and ride twenty minutes later. Nobody needs wheel bite or riser pads in their lives.

This kind of stuff is better reserved for longboarding. The guy's riding an 7.75-8inch setup, so I wouldn't bother. Even if it isn't exactly time consuming, he might as well just get used to riding what is a standard deck. Otherwise, he's just gonna get used to having wheel wells and taking an orbital sander to a new deck every 2 weeks/months is more work than it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Update: I really loving hate these hard wheels. They're so bad. I don't know how anyone rides this poo poo. Unless you're skating on absolutely impeccably smooth concrete, good loving luck.

I want to find whoever thought making 87b wheels with branding that makes the b look like an a and throttle them. gently caress Bones.

hard wheels absolutely own unless you're building a cruiser or filming board.

everytime i get new wheels i just get the hardest 52mms the shop has at the time... though i've never seen wheels THAT hard in the last decade. most people ride 99-101d so just pick up a set of spitfires or whatever from your local spot they're generally all in that range iirc

the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to street skating because once you get used to regularly powersliding it makes everything so much more forgiving that its on par with learning to skate loose trucks

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the trick to kickflips is to not fixate on the flick. think of them more like ollies. when you level out with your front foot - THATs when you flick. also remember to take you back foot off when flicking and try to use your back foot to catch the deck. with the right flick itll just spin until you catch it or it hits the ground. If the nose is pointed up while it spins you arent focusing on the ollie aspect of it enough.

zeldadude posted:

I'm using the same board as 10 years ago, some stupid Zero board. Sans one wheel that spins less than the others, it actually seems surprisingly decent for being left in the rain a lot - is that that big of a deal? How important is avoiding water on a skateboard?

water is extremely lovely for skateboards. its bad for the wood and will rust the bearings and basically the last thing you want to mix skateboarding with unless you're filming something

the only thing worse is probably sand maybe if it gets INSIDE the bearings

also powersliding in the rain is fun but causes flatspots easier.

the best thing to do is have a lovely throwaway deck as your rainy day board otherwise i personally would avoid it unless you skate everyday then you'll probably be getting a new deck or wheels or whatever at least every month or so as needed.

zeldadude posted:

Definitely going to get a new one soon, not sure what kind or size though, my current board is a 7.75" but I think 8 might be better. What Size do y'all skate?

7.75 is the goto universal average width. most people tend to eventually gravitate towards wider boards (like 8-8.5) as they become more comfortable with flatground fliptricks and want to start riding faster, grinding more and/or skating stuff like bowls.

You can go the opposite direction if you are are much more interested in flip tricks and serious technical stuff (see: Daewon Song)

Smaller decks are only like 7.5 inches wide. You can certainly feel the difference even if its only an inch difference or so. Skinny decks like that are good when you're first learning things like 360 flips or anything that spins with a heelflip variation.

In the end its all preferential. I think most ppl go for wider boards because the benefits to skating faster and bigger ramps. You can still do poo poo like double kickflips and 360flips on a 8+ inch board so don't put too mich thought into it if you are leaning towards getting a skinny deck just to master your kickflips.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Lawen posted:

seeing Louie Barletta as one of the "old guys" hurt. On the other hand, he killed it for a dude in his...forties?

yeah, he's gotta be! the tiltmode army vids were some of my favorites growing up and i'm 30 now myself :corsair:

looking back, him and Hsu were filming together as long ago as the Black Cat vid (which was the 90s iirc?)

i was really psyched to see him on there gettin them TV monies. its cool how KotR has blown up in general, they play Vice at the bars around here and people that chill there who don't even skate are watching it regularly and talking about it when its on which is pretty neat

Thief fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 27, 2017

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the first dvd/mag was rad because they hit up the louisville park when it had just recently opened and did a sticker contest in the fullpipe which became a thing to try for years as the hundreds of ppl that travelled there and wreck themselves

also dan drehobl cracked his indys in half skating a bowl in the bonus footage :how:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

epicly laterd owns and i cant even think of a bad episode off the top of my head

had no idea kirchart did the megaramp with a broken collarbone. that's a danny way level of gnar imo. i broke mine bmxing before and i cant even imagine jumping around on flat with an injury like that

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i'ma just leave this right here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdEKWeXDgh0/

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Cultural Marxist posted:

If I’m seriously considering buying a longboard, are there any brands to watch out for and avoid? Not because of perceived “coolness” but because they’re known to use cheap parts/make poor quality boards/are unfun or dangerous?

the board itself doesn't really matter unless you are trying to go really seriously fast. actual longboards that are more oversized/surfboard like tend to be really a lot more effort than their worth unless you like riding downhill or going :rice:

even college kids that ride them all day across campuses will stop to get off and pick up the board at curbs. what most people that actually skate a lot do these days is just get an extra large board for cruising around instead of an actual longboard. this way you can still do tricks and stuff pretty much as if you were skating a normal board. these are popular at skateparks

the main thing i would prioritize is getting good trucks and wheels. Independent makes some comically large trucks - and as long as it generally matches the board you like it should be fine. ever since Mark Gonzales gave us the Zip Zinger, a lot of major companies have started to mess around with board shapes again like how it was in the early 90s which is awesome. some people like to cruise around on smaller boards like that but there are also really large boards like this and imo it is the best thing to look into if you are interested in longboarding

every good skateshop will have a wall covered with normal boards but if you look you'll see random poo poo like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-LABEL-LUCERO-THUMBHEAD-RACING-STRIPE-10-0-RED-OR-BLUE-SKATEBOARD-DECK-NEW/192332058088

they'll hook you up with matching trucks which at a local shop will most likely be Indys or Thunders. when it comes to actual longboards the only real brand that anyone ever recognizes is Sector 9 who make their own completes

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

schwein11 posted:

I am not exactly sure but he's tall for his age and probably pushing close to four foot.

most kids ride normal boards that everyone else uses. decks are generally just sized by width in inches with 7.5 being "small", 7.75 being a sort of average medium and 8 or wider being on the large size. length varies but nobody actually talks about it irl.

if you want something smaller have the shop setup a cruiser board. these are smaller and come in different shapes. but it really just boils down to personal preference so you can't really go wrong. take them to a skater owned shop and let them pick one they like.

when you're starting out it really doesn't matter what you ride unless the wheels/bearings are REALLY hosed up.

one thing i recommend to everyone getting into skating is that you should NOT ride tight trucks. it is a crutch and doesn't help in the long. loose trucks let you turn better and are way more forgiving when landing tricks that involve spins.

pretty much everyone i know that rides tight trucks only does so because at some point they went too fast, got speed wobbles and busted their rear end.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

other things to avoid are water and sand

you could skate in the rain or even down a grass hill but these things can gently caress up the board in ways that aren't immediately noticeable.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

probably some of the worst promo editing from a bland brand though despite a few cringeworthy moments, the skating itself was great and the vid actually turned out way better than expected

it was cool seeing people skate the EMB fountain in 2018

also Ben Kadow has been killin it lately :discourse:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lance is cool but having the career he had was basically a miracle so i'm not surprised

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

this is what happens when you witness Hosoi do the christ air irl before any skateboarders even knew what an internet is

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqME0y7h2D8

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

UFOTacoMan posted:

as I understand it, it's a button that Kelly Hart has to press in order to be heard. Otherwise he would talk too much according to the podcast's logic

yeah i think it started as a technical issue because of the gear available but eventually turned into like a talkshow host sidekick joke which works out well when guests finally comment on it

also not really related but Chris is very self aware about his nosegrinds which is :discourse:

e: has anyone tried the Thank You decks yet?

Thief fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 27, 2019

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

idk why im surprised but :rip:

wonder what's going to happen to thrasher. he ran that poo poo for as long as i can remember

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

idk if anyone mentioned this but cut the grip from below for an easy smooth line when pulling the razor back towards you

you can always go back and trim the little bits off that weren't 100% until you learn the ocd art of filing it just enough but not too much so that your 45 degree angle meets no resistance

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

hope that's not like rattle can spraypaint because that poo poo is sticky as gently caress

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

scuz posted:

It is, and it is! Lucky for me I'm like a year away from being able to do boardslides or rock to fakies or tail slides so it has plenty of time to find stickers or whatever. Any recommendations for paint type?

the easiest workaround is to take a piece of wax and just rub it all over your deck where you start to get scrathes and it will eventually slide smooth as a screen printed board

if im at a park that has a lot of metal coping i will sometimes even just straight up wax my trucks lol

alternatively the universal answer to most things in skateboarding is to simply go faster

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

There is a heavy contingency of old dude shredders in Seattle who are vehemently anti-wax on the coping.

yeah they love consistency when riding things that can break your neck. i'm pretty sure its a 90s thing that stemmed from rollerbladers waxxing the poo poo out of everything in sight which can really gently caress you up on rails too if you aren't expecting it

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

they're more rare than scooter riders these days

but the roller derby girls come to our local skatepark a lot and cruise around in the bowl ftw :swoon:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

8.25 - 8.5in is absolutely the standard now which rules because people are still riding 52-54mm wheels like its 2001

thats for street btw. at parks it isn't unusual to see bigger with aysemmetrical shapes

kids with babby shoes are doing laserflips and poo poo on 8.25s so don't overthink it. go smaller if you wanna get insanely tech but the tradeoff isnt worth it imo

overall its barely an inch or 2 difference so it reallt depends on how ocd you are

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

yeah reds go for like 15 bux on the eaat coast

ask for the softest wheels they make the biggest difference. you can also use non-plastic risers if you can even find them anymore.

the best filmers have boards with giant soft wheels, like longboard style, but they use normal/large-ish decks so they can still ollie up curbs and stuff. they roll forever because the wheels just blob over pebbles and cracks and you never have to push unless going up a signifcant hill or on cobblestone

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

scuz posted:

edit: I need new shoes and can't decide on Vans or some other brands. None of the stores in town have my size (13) so it's hard to try any on. Strayes are okay, but I'm not really impressed with their durability.

i skated vans for like 10 years when i worked for them but nowadays i have just been getting the busenitz over and over. best skater - best shoes considering vans aren't cheap anymore

also maybe check out new balance? a lot of ppl are trying them now that arto saari got involved

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

brandon westgate and donny barley were chillin at our park last weekend and they both had shoes like that 🙈

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

definitely dont waste time learning tricks stationary unless its raining and you have to find the one dry spot in your area

Zigmidge posted:

An easy way to start truck grinds without any work: learn slappies. They are easy and fun for the whole family! Get a bit of wax and apply to the curb out front.

curb cuts are really good for this because they dont have to do the slappie or know how to ollie but it will teach them how to get out of a grind once they finally do

thank god i grew up on the east coast because you can find those new york style half height curbs that have the metal coping in them in any neighborhood of a major city which are nearly impossible to get hung up on

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

this motherfucker just kickflipped a board with a board he was riding on the board with what the gently caress

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*Gou Miyagi taking notes*

:hmmyes:

lol

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

iirc ppl like billy marks and johnny layton were from out there

the ditches in AZ are some of the best and aren't as gross as LA

unrelated but some of my friends got on thrasher again with a quick edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf3oUHqRdqQ

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

tbh its pretty amazing ppl dont die that often from skating in general

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

all i want for my birfdayyy is a big booty pillow

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

surprised gou miyagi isnt on that list considering the types of rail poo poo you can do in thos gaems

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

been seeing a lot of good ishod clips pop up on ig this year. still killin after like an entire decade since soty

Laserface posted:

Tighten up the trucks.

while low speed turns are fine for learning, loose trucks generally mean you will be more unstable at speed in a straight line.

tightening the trucks will mean your turning radius is larger but you'll be more stable.

if anyone ever tightens their trucks i highly caution them to do it as little as possible. unless the hangar is gonna literally fall off you'll be fine. somewhere between medium and wobbly loose is perfect for most people.

one of the biggest mistake inexperienced skaters tend to make is over-tightening their trucks which will severely limit their ability to roll away from things that they are otherwise doing correctly (180s, anything with a shuvit, etc) because they're forced to go with the board rather than the board go with them. later on it becomes far more difficult for a person that got comfortable skating tighter trucks to inevitably adapt to loosening theirs.

this is similar to how people learn to do tricks stationary only to find out they have to practically relearn everything despite having what they felt like was a solid grasp of the basics

gay for gacha posted:

this whole thing rules.

lmao the dank rear end sandboarding song coming in at @41:40 :goofy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcEHwl_Fyvv

this is like a modern equivalent of the natas spin