Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

I've been cruising around on a Globe Bantam for a few months to/from home -> train station -> work and back again and I was loving it so I somehow convinced myself to buy a board from a local shop (it was a tossup between a BMX and a skateboard and skateboarding was cheaper and honestly, looks cooler). So I now own a Cliche complete board. I owned a crappy major-store board when I was around about 13 or something and never did much on it.

My board feels like it's slightly too big for me, but I'm not sure if I only think that because I've been riding my tiny Bantam around for months. I also would like to ride the board to/from work each day to get used to riding on it but it requires a ridiculous amount of pushing to get any sort of speed going and the board stops quite quickly too. Is there any way to get it to a comparable speed as the Bantam? I've surmised the bearings and wheels are probably different and I get the feeling my Bantam has spacers or something to make the wheels spin more. I also figure the bigger + softer wheels on the Bantam make for a smoother ride.

I'm so confused. :( I've damaged the board already obviously by trying to ollie and shuvit so I can't exactly take it back or anything.

Megadrive fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

Mincher posted:

8" is about the norm. If you've been riding a smaller board for a long time, it will take a bit to adjust but not much. :)

I'll have to measure it when I get home. I remember the guy saying the board was wider, but I'm not sure what in relation to. We were talking about a smaller size skateboard for younger kids.

Horizontal Tree posted:

Get soft wheels, bones reds bearings, and some spacers if you're pushing around a lot

This is what I suspected. I've had a look around and I've seen Bones STFs been pimped a bit for wheels and Bones Reds a lot for bearings. Spacers I've read and been recommended to make sure to get steel ones and not aluminium for any reason. Does this sound right to you? I'm not planning on doing any sliding tricks yet, they're way beyond my skill level currently.

I should mention my ride to the station is primarily on concrete, some of which is quite rough. Not sure if that changes anything.

Megadrive fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 5, 2013

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

cname posted:

WHAT?! What horrible skate shop wouldn't let you return a board you broke trying to ollie/shuvit?! That thing is a piece of poo poo and they should at least let you pick out a new deck, free of charge.

If you've thrashed it time after time, that's one thing. If it broke/cracked from a couple attempts at tricks, you should totally be able to return it. Obviously skate shops don't have to honor any sort of return policy, but the good ones will cut you some slack if it's a genuinely lovely/faulty product.

Like XIII said, I've damaged the tails underneath by popping it while trying to do tricks on it/accidentally skating into stuff. It's not snapped or anything crazy like that. :p

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

I'm going to a skate park for the first time tomorrow. I'm going to be an old person at a park full of young skaters as I'm taking my nephew to the park and it's more of a beginners park with shallow slopes and no bowls or anything . I'm super nervous. :(

Megadrive fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 26, 2013

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

Finished up an hour or so and had a pretty fun time. We went to the smaller park which didn't have much in the way of anything really. Went over a few obstacles and got some confidence up, which was pretty cool. We went to a more popular one and watched some guys skate around the bowls and man, there's some talented skaters out there. Rolled around some hills on there, attempted some shuvits and ollies then called it a day. I'm so bad at ollies still but I'm sure I'll eventually get it. A good day.

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

ElephantCrave posted:

What do people think about those little cruiser boards such as the penny vinyl? I am wondering because I adore my street board but here in the UK it is not that good for transport, I don't want to be carrying a long board around with me and the large wheels little board shenanigans look like a smooth ride.

I love my Globe Bantam. Though since I stopped working in the city I've stopped riding it as much, I will never sell it. Cruisers are great boards and I don't get the hate they sometimes get.

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

I feel like it's taking way too long to get my ollies down. I tried to do them earlier and every time I bent down to jump, my chest hurt. So I stopped for today, I guess I'll give it another go tomorrow after spending another day obsessively watching slowmos of ollies to see why I'm screwing it up. :(

I should clarify I've been attempting ollies for about 2-3 months now, skating whenever I can between work.

Megadrive fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 11, 2013

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

This is the point I'm up to currently. I think the only thing I need to work on now is the flick, then once I have the motions going, to start attempting it moving. I'd like to get your guys' opinions, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

edit: nvm