Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I use my skateboard as primarily a means of transportation, but I do a couple of street tricks and my love is for skating pools/bowls. These days you don't really come across a whole ton of pool or vert skaters because it's so easy and accessible to be a street skater.

Still can't frontside carve though (back to the bottom of the bowl). I ride regular and it's still really awkward. Did a split the other day after I lost speed, tried to put my feet down and one landed on the concrete and the other landed on the skateboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
That loving Jordan Sanchez Natas Spin to Kickflip was incredible. When the camera panned out to show the pole, the spin was the first thing I thought of but didn't think it was going to happen. Exceeded expectations.

I love skateboarding like people like longboarding - bombing hills, carving, the whole bit. Yesterday me and a buddy (who was on a longboard actually) bombed a huge hill about 40 minutes from my house. The first part of the hill is nice and curvy and then there's a real drop down into a flatter section. About halfway down, I was already going too fast to run out so I just started carving the hell out of it to avoid the speed wobbles. The adrenaline of knowing that one little mistake will gently caress your day up is awesome, I wish I had something that could have gauged how fast we were going because it was ridiculous. I need new wheels though, I'm still rolling on these Manny Santiago World Champions that I've had for a couple years now.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

What I don't understand is that Activision could change the font in THPS3's main menu, call it Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5, release it, and people would be loving thrilled. why do they consistently go through the effort to make lovely games that nobody wants to play?

that being said, new england skating is winding down for the year :( soon it will have to be a parking garage or an indoor skatepark

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Are people fighting in the skateboarding thread? I thought you people were supposed to be chill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5tqIP-0GJw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOCty_xfISc

nah idk what you're talkin about

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

long boarders suck, yes, but this topic only has so much mileage.

Here's a part some of my buddies made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FHsu6UB1yw

that two minute intro of nothing almost made me not want to watch the 2 minutes of skateboarding. are these guys trying to make a feature length? that intro would probably be better for one of those.

the skateboarding is pretty good when we get to watch it but this watches like they just wanted to make some gritty art film about a city instead of a skate part

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 4, 2016

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

its more of an art film than something narrowly targeted at skateboarding fans so you're spot on in your reading

then they did a fuckin' bang up job on that 8mm effect, unless they actually had a film camera out there. visuals were reaaaally good. should definitely make a longer thing

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Ok, so I am old, but that's just stupid. It's not gnarly, edgy, just plain stupid.

yeah at least put on a loving helmet, Jesus Christo. if you want to grind your kneecaps down to mush by landing on them all the time then go for it, but don't drag paramedics into it when you miss your hand plant and swallow six inches of coping

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

quick question for ultra cool street skaters. just built a new setup yesterday but realized I hosed up at the shop and bought a set of Bones STF v2's that are 87b on the durometer scale. I was previously riding 78a's because I like to bomb hills and carve bowls and poo poo.

how hosed am I? should I go order a set of wheels around 78-86a right now? I'm concerned that the first time I drop in on a wooden clover that I'm going to start to carve one corner and have the loving thing just shoot out from underneath me.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Lumpy posted:

Back when I had knees and could skate, I used to run 95a - 98a and seemed to be okay.

according to the website I was reading, an 87b is the equivalent of a 107a, which is pretty much one of the highest numbers i've seen on any skate wheel

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Update: I really loving hate these hard wheels. They're so bad. I don't know how anyone rides this poo poo. Unless you're skating on absolutely impeccably smooth concrete, good loving luck.

I want to find whoever thought making 87b wheels with branding that makes the b look like an a and throttle them. gently caress Bones.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I'm 21 years old and my loving knees are so sore just from puttering around in the driveway. Guess I'll put em up on Craigslist for $20 and try to recoup at least a little of my money. gently caress HARD WHEELS

EDIT: Just ordered a set of 56mm 78a's to match the Satori Lil Nuggs I rode on my own setup. I guess maybe I'll keep the STF's for if I go to a skatepark someday and want to test out harder wheels. Until then, I'm back onto the softies so I can cruise around without having a loving rumble pad under my feet.

barnold fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 8, 2017

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

one of my favorite skate videos of all time was the 2005 Tampa Am DVD. good luck finding a solid copy of it anywhere but it was back during the year when Nyjah Huston tore it the gently caress up and started earning all his sponsorships.

and of course, watching dudes like Lizard King try to grind UP the rail on the box and poo poo like the Tampa Am Bowl Jam make it totally worth watching. wish I didn't lose my copy years ago. I'd watch that poo poo all day long

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I feel like I've been waiting a long time for that Bam Margera Epicly Later'd. As someone who grew up with the whole media circus that was that dude's life, hearing someone like April Margera say with a solemn voice "We tried to hide it for a long time" is totally sobering. Glad the guy's getting help. He really needs it.

I think it's a little ironic though, considering how bad Bam poo poo on Brandon Novak for being a heroin addict while Novak was in jail. I'm sure it was partly the bitterness of trying to help him so many times only for Novak to steal poo poo from him, but drat, I see it in a totally different light now. Two addicts, being addicted, and making GBS threads on the other for being the REAL addict.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

how the gently caress do people get good at skating vert? took a trip to Rye Airfield and gave the 22' vert ramp a shot after I had built up a little confidence in the clover bowl.

I took four solid slams to my lower goddamn spine just trying to do kickturns near the coping and gave up. how the gently caress do people have the stamina to just run that poo poo all day long? even just rolling in is a goddamn workout

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

a kid that graduated a year after me in high school is low-key about to hit it huge, I swear to gently caress. check out this Volcom promo from 2015 that The Berrics just got around to editing and uploading

http://theberrics.com/tim-casey-volcom-lost-tapes/

the 180 varial late kick down the set at the end is loving huge and this kid posts instagram clips of him nailing gnarly poo poo at 6am in empty skateparks around New England

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

his insta is https://www.instagram.com/cimtasty/

here's some poo poo from Rye Airfield, sometimes he runs multiple sessions at a time and I skate with him. kid is lights out. just goes and goes and goes like the energizer bunny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGvfNjBkdR0

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

it's just about an hour away, but yeah, that's the primetime indoor park around here. it's fantastic. they've got absolutely everything. I could spend hours in the wooden clover bowl just carving it endlessly

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

just a casual 540 flip from one push in my garage, nbd

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

FYI EA has turned the community servers back on for Skate 3 so you can go and download all your custom parks and replays from the good old days right now. Nobody knows how long it's gonna last so I loaded up my console with all my favorites in anticipation for getting shut down again

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Spaced God posted:

YEAH RIGHT! is without a doubt the best skateboarding video. I will pay any sum of money to see Owen Wilson pretend to know about skateboarding

It's top 3 for me, for sure. Close up are Bag Of Suck and Really Sorry. Just some fantastic stuff all around.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

HEY NONG MAN posted:

What are some good skate instagrams?

I follow hallofmeat but sometimes I want to see someone land a trick and not get broke off

gotta plug my local dude again. he does some pretty rad poo poo. check those videos from woodward a little ways down

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

tim casey out there absolutely murdering tricks again

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuSmoGNFF7T/

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I ride my board exclusively to cruise and 78a-80a are my sweet spot for wheels. I have slightly wider ones than normal and they're a dream. I accidentally bought a set of 83b wheels once not realizing that they were b's and not a's. That was a mighty fine how-do-you-do for my feet and ankles

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

mrfart posted:

Would like to find out the least noisy bearings:)

Bronsons. Hands down. I have yet to ride a better bearing than a Bronson. I've heard that NEAL ceramics are really quiet too but I don't think any shop around here stocks them so I wouldn't know.

barnold fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 18, 2019

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

My big thing these days is not rolling my ankles so I've basically given up on kickflips due to my scarred past.

That said, heel flips don't make me nearly as scared and I've come to embrace them as my new trick I loving love.

It's weird for me, the motion of a heelflip feels a lot more natural and comfortable than the kicking down of a kickflip. Maybe my body/coordination is all hosed up. I haven't skated flat in a good long time now but when I did, I was about 20 times closer to landing a heelflip than I ever was to getting the kickflip. With kickflips I'd inevitably miss my front foot and spike the deck straight into my dick and balls.

Also, frontside 1s came to me a lot quicker than backside ones. I still get wigged out even just trying to carve a bowl or kickturn in a pipe backside. PTSD from too many spins that either went too far or not far enough and caused me to slip out and slam my spine/head? Maybe. I wonder if it could have anything to do with the fact that I'm a lefty in most sports but ride regular

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Rye Airfield in NH just announced the sale of the property and all its assets. The biggest and arguably best remaining indoor skatepark in New England is about to close the doors for good. poo poo sucks, man. Hurts

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I don't care if you ride a scooter. Just don't be a Scooter Kid, which I'm sure everyone here understands

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Can someone else post a video of them doing a lovely kick flip so it's not just me.

https://i.imgur.com/grMAP6o.mp4

I cannot, because I cannot kickflip. I could probably manage a 360 shove for you though. might annihilate my ankles before the make but I can try lol

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

"come on man it's 2003" is an all-time favorite skate video line imo

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

thetan_guy42 posted:

finally found the skate thread! just started and im goofy, can only ollie in nollie stance though wtf, like my popping foot is also the leading one if that is right

This is exactly how I started when I was a kid pushing around the local skatepark - rode goofy, but could only pop an ollie consistently with my right foot.

tl;dr I learned to skate regular and now I don't ride goofy anymore. your mileage may vary

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

the only caveat about carpet boarding is that you are pretty much never ever going to be doing a trick stationary once you get out of the house, and carpet boarding deprives you of learning to effectively stay over the board while moving forwards or backwards. but it's a good way to practice the mechanics of different tricks if you're really itching to flip wood

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

can't believe they got the dog to squeeze a firecracker between the railing and the light post down that 8 set. that poo poo goes hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

i did a pop shove-it. then i did a fakie shove-it. then i did a frontside 1 and a couple manuals and then i went back inside