Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

While we're playing craig's list games, I picked up a nice Sector 9 long board deck at Goodwill, but don't have any trucks/wheels to go with it. I'm trying to avoid buying new, anybody got any spare parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

Shortymrbig posted:

How do you guys deal with sudden cracks in the ground or lil rocks? I see them and try to push over them and I'm fine, but if I missed spotting the smallest of rocks I end up flying forward off my board. I don't fall really I just get launched ahead of my board. Kinda annoying really to get wrecked over a spec of rock.

Make sure you're not leaning too hard towards the front. If there is more weight over the front wheels when they hit something they're more likely to bind up and send you flying.

highme
May 25, 2001

Found a set of trucks and wheels on CL earlier this week. Now my longboard is complete and all I need is some spare time to go cruise that loving land yacht.

highme
May 25, 2001

The video announcing it on theberrics.com (I think that's, Berra & Koston's joint site) was pretty drat funny.

Found some trucks and wheels for my longboard on CL last week for $30. So that beast is all put together and rocking now. I can't wait to spend some time on it rolling around.

Then on our way home from Seattle tonight we stopped to get gas in a shithole town with a Volcom, Billabong, and Quicksilver outlet. The Billabong store had a bunch of Element stuff (I assume it's the same corp. these days) and one Muska deck for $30 with "buy one, get one" on sale items. Sadly it was the only deck, but we found some shorts for the same price. Now I have to find cheap trucks and wheels for that too, though that shouldn't be as hard.

highme
May 25, 2001

drat, I'm dizzy just watching that video, but now I have poo poo to try. I think the wheelbase on my Sector 9 is longer than the Dervish boards though. Might have to track one of those down.

highme
May 25, 2001

OniPanda posted:

I love me some vans, but is there anyone else who makes skate shoes above size 13?

We were in Nordstrom Rack in Seattle a couple of weeks ago and they had a ton of size 14 and up skate shoes. Mostly Vans, but they also had some DC and Etnies as well.

highme
May 25, 2001

You can't really be "mongo foot" you can push "mongo" but your stance for that will change depending on whether or not you skate goofy or regular. Mongo is pushing with your front foot instead of your back foot, and if people mock you it shouldn't matter as long as you're having fun.

highme
May 25, 2001

I forgot to mention that "mastering the ollie" should be an end of the day goal, not an end of the summer goal. It's not hard, I can do it, I suck, and have always sucked. Make your goal to be able to ollie on to something, a curb or planter etc., it gives you a tangible goal and prevents you from overthinking the actual ollie.

highme
May 25, 2001

mike12345 posted:

Q-Man is awesome, and so is Northwest. BTW, I hope this is not :filez:, but you can watch Northwest on Youtube, split into five parts. I'm currently watching part one, and I have to say that is the coolest skate park ever. And to think they built it all by themselves? Awesome.

Holy gently caress. I'm on part two and just got to the segment about Donald, Or. I cannot emphasize how poo poo hole small that town is. My wife's family has been farming in that part of Oregon (about 30 min south of downtown Portland) for a long time. Donald is on the 3rd or 4th tier of tiny rear end towns. I had no idea such a rad pool was there, I'm going to have to go hit that poo poo up.

highme
May 25, 2001

Jesus.

highme
May 25, 2001

Danny Way is a loving monster. Jacked up knee and ankle and still switch 50-50s a giant rear end rail at the X-games.

Also, Sal Masekela is still the corniest black man alive.

highme fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 1, 2009

highme
May 25, 2001

qirex posted:

Did anyone watch the X-games? The "jam" formats they have going now are a lot more interesting to watch but they are really lovely for replays. Also they either didn't do or just didn't show any skate best trick contests.

I like the new jam formats, and Tony Hawk probably does the best "action sports" play by play I've heard.

highme
May 25, 2001

Just scored an Arbor mini-longboard and a Creature Navarette Hesh Law complete with Ricta wheels & Krux trucks for $60 for the pair. I'm stupid stoked, a dick around board for whenever I get my lazy/busy rear end out to Donald to skate the pool, and a perfect commuting board for campus since my S9 longboard is too cumbersome to deal with when not riding. I think the bearings in both decks might be worth the $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

Don't feel bad about the not getting powersliding right away. I've ridden a skate board off and on for 20+ years, powerslides were always something I could do fine when younger, but for some goddamned reason, I can't get my longboard to break loose for poo poo.