Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Greenplastic posted:

I got hold of some coin to rent a Red Epic for a few days to shoot my first short skateboarding video!

It's 4 minutes long - what do you guys think? I'd love some feedback.

Link: https://vimeo.com/38992103

That was a really, really well done video. Great job.

This thread has made me want to ignore my complaining knees and drag my born in in the 1960's rear end back out on a board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Greenplastic posted:

Thanks You really should... Even just cruising the streets in the sun is awesome, and if you can work up some ollies for getting on and off the sidewalks, well, I don't think you'll regret it. Go!

My problem is that my muscle memory will think "180 kickflip off the curb!!" and my ancient body / reflexes will not do what they could do 20 years ago and I'll be posting from the emergency room. Then my kid will taunt me.

That said, I just ordered a new board.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

FFStudios posted:

. Did a split the other day after I lost speed, tried to put my feet down and one landed on the concrete and the other landed on the skateboard.

Do people still call that "doing a Wilson"? My skating heyday was the late 80s through mid 90s,back when we had to skate uphill both ways and they hadn't invented wheels yet, and that's what that particular maneuver was called.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I wonder what it's like to have either the near infinite self-confidence or absolutely zero self-preservation instinct (or both?) required to do some of those things.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ya'll should check out the latest Street League episode from Portland. If you can put up with the x-gamesy "OMG HE GOT A NIIIIIINE" stuff from the commentators there is some really fantastic competition skating from Ishod Wair, Chris Cole, Shane O'Neil, Paul Rodriguez...basically everyone there EXCEPT Nyjah who bombs out of the flow section.

I haven't looked but I assume it's widely available on youtube since all the other ones are and they stream the replay on xbox live anyway.

Here it is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meQKiXlWBWY and boy howdy is there some good skating in there.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Bucket Joneses posted:

Can we get back to Old Man Chat because I just turned 30 and my right ankle is now too weak to even support basic tasks like "Jog to the fridge for a Yoohoo".

I'm in my 40's, and it takes about 35 minutes for my knees to warm up enough to be able to ollie w/o pain. Then I get about 30 minutes of "real" skating time before my knees hurt so bad I have to stop.

Also, when did decks stop all being "slicks" ? That was ll the rage back in the early 90s, but they aren't now? drat KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Here's an "old man buying a new board for the first time in a long time" question: back when I stopped in the early / mid 90's, all (or a vast majority) decks were "slicks". Is that still a thing? Is it so common that they aren't labeled as such, or was it a fad that went away?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Westgate is one heck of a skateboard flippy-dippy fly through the air person.

I'm old now, but even in my crazy youth I don't think I would have thought: "hmm, I bet I could make that really, really long ollie up to that really high thing if a car pulled me really loving fast!"

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

substitute posted:

So true on the Pig rails. Not going to work on my Mountain setup because of the concave. I ordered some new Rib Bones and they're not much better height-wise, and they're just as thin as the Pig rails leaving too much board surface. Rib Bones were twice as wide (and probably taller) back in the 80s.

I'm going to try some Crooks, or find something NOS on eBay.

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=714

This talk of rails and my question from a few pages ago about slicks leads me to wonder: why did slicks stop being "a thing"? My very last board before I stopped is just when slicks were being introduced, and I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. So what made them go the way of the dodo?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

maffew buildings posted:

No risers ever if you were born after 1974

I was born in '69, what size riser should I use?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I saw a youtube ad recently for "skate trainers" which looked like toy monster truck plastic wheels you slip over your wheels to basically slow your roll waaaaaaaaay down to practice tricks and poo poo...am I missing something or can't you just do tricks in some short grass? Which would bring the added benefit of not falling on concrete if you really mess up?

http://www.skatertrainer.com/

Edit: oh poo poo they've got me covered in the faq

Hrmmmm I dunno about all that friends. But hey, this is America, if someone wants to buy then baby go get yours. I don't mind.

For 16 bucks I might order these for ! Dare I?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Cool thing I came across today; woven bamboo decks: http://www.core77.com/blog/materials/interweaving_a_material_and_a_mission_beacon_alley_bamboo_skateboard_27295.asp

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Close this thread, skateboarding is now over. We're all doing this now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWhI4gi9nNk#t=162s

Are you working on the OP for the Wheelbarrowing thread? Need help?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

maffew buildings posted:

I came here to post something that isn't what I'm about to but holy moley Tyler Surrey and Wes Kremer set it off. Sk8mafia is very good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXte9FQSWGw

I... uh...

Wow.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

straight up brolic posted:

also: gently caress

It took me 5 loops to wonder what made a nice but otherwise "normal" kickflip expletive worthy. Then I noticed...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Watched it yesterday, it owns hard and we should make a new years resolution to get an old goon in the next one. Also was that Tyler the creator failing a pole jam drop in as "a bundle of sticks"?

As the oldest goon reading this thread, let me know what I have to do.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ah, the halcyon days when boards were asymmetrical as god himself intended.

Back when I had functioning knees....

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Every skate video ever inspires me to regret turning 30 and having a day job.

Wait until you're over 45, have a job, wife, kid, and two bad knees.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

edit: beaten by milliseconds!

New Richie Jackson.

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/richie-jackson-s-death-skateboards-part/

I don't get the "love him or hate him" aspect of Richie Jackson, how can you not love him? How lame do you have to be to hate on this and still ride a skateboard?

My 8 year old daughter now wants a skateboard. Best. Video. Ever.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

That is the more hardcore "No playable sources found" error I ever did see.

EDIT: Tried it in a different browser and it plays...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

sleppy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei8RhpR2P9A

Daewon is in his 40's and I still get excited by new stuff every video he's in.

Hey, I'm in *my* 40's, therefore.... [ breaks wrist & hip, sprains ankle ]

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Scarf posted:

now all I need are some bright green slide rails.

It's like high school all over again!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Scarf posted:

That depends on if I walk around the mall carrying it.

I wish I had saved all my notebooks from back then... page after page of Gator rotating square thing pattern, all the Powell Peralta decks & rat logo.... plus the occasional note!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Turdsdown Tom posted:

quick question for ultra cool street skaters. just built a new setup yesterday but realized I hosed up at the shop and bought a set of Bones STF v2's that are 87b on the durometer scale. I was previously riding 78a's because I like to bomb hills and carve bowls and poo poo.

how hosed am I? should I go order a set of wheels around 78-86a right now? I'm concerned that the first time I drop in on a wooden clover that I'm going to start to carve one corner and have the loving thing just shoot out from underneath me.

Back when I had knees and could skate, I used to run 95a - 98a and seemed to be okay.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Turdsdown Tom posted:

according to the website I was reading, an 87b is the equivalent of a 107a, which is pretty much one of the highest numbers i've seen on any skate wheel

"Back in my day we didn't have yer fancy B durometers! And you could tell which one was the nose just by lookin'!!"

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

XIII posted:

Goddamn. Some of those rails were plain bonkers.

They were indeed, but I really didn't like the video all that much. While the skill level is insane, it felt "samey" throughout and the whole "slo-mo laying on the ground" was over used. Skating was good! Editing / art direction was bad! In short, this skateboard video was a land of contrasts.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

No skate 4

life is pain

Boo I say. Boo!

Hell, I'd pay full price for a smooth port of 2 or 3 with a decent framerate.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

did he crash or thrash?

My guess: thrashed, then crashed.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Jesus Tapdancing Christ.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, it's taken me a while to get through this...I had no idea he was a total jesus freak.

Iím only a half hour in... Iím hoping heís the ďI really believe and am happy with how it affects my lifeĒ kind and not the ďif you donít believe what I believe youíre a bad personĒ kind. Please Lance... I canít stand another piece of my childhood being ruined!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

scuz posted:

mind was blown 15 seconds into the video and it kept getting blown (heh)

speaking of chris...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wwgYTkVjBw

What the hell is that button that guy has to hold down for the whole show? Does the set blow up if he lets go? I'm worried!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

drat. Loss of a Legend. I was reading Thrasher back in the mid 80s and it was such a huge part of my days as an angry teen skater guy.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Thanks to it being snowy and cold a good chunk of the year here, I'd love to be able to pay to skate in the winter. I don't think that's even an option though =(

(nor is a public skatepark when it's not lovely out)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

JamesWestfall posted:

How much does pushing mongo really matter? Because it's been a real bummer relearning to push when I could be doing something more fun.

How can you live with the disapproving looks from the youths? You can't.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

homeless snail posted:

Hey, I know gently caress all about skating that isn't in a video game, so I'm hoping I can get some advice ITT. If you were setting up a complete newbie, what would you suggest to get them off on the right foot? In terms of like sizes and wheels and stuff. My niece is friends with a bunch of skaters I guess and wants a board for her birthday (she's 13 so probably like, not a kiddie board). I think they probably just hang out and skate around their culdesac, not really any parks near her or anything, so keeping that in mind.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Enjoi_Whitey_Panda_LTD_Complete/descpage-EIWPCMP.html

I just got this for my 11-year old daughter. Obviously if your niece is like 6' or something, I'd get a 8.25" width deck, but that's a decent inexpensive starter board. If you have a local skate shop you can support, look for something similar there.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I feel bad for him: when he's my age, his knees will hurt more than mine do, and that will suck.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Are you kidding me? I wish youtube tutorials were around when I learned to skate.

When I learned to Ollie it was because some kid saw some other kid do one while he was on vacation and we all tried to figure it out based on his verbal description.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

None of us had parents rich enough to afford VCRs, so we couldn't watch skate videos (and didn't know they existed... and to be honest, they might not have at that point). IT WAS A BRUTAL TIME TO BE ALIVE.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I found the very first skate video I ever saw! I forget how we got ahold of it, but I remember us piling into my buddy's house to watch this. This kid was rich: he had a VCR and like a 21" COLOR TV! It was the most amazing thing we had ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdGwd3oFaA I think this video came out a year or two after the Ollie did...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Hell, nowadays getting out of bed hurts more than most of the slams I took when I was young.

I wonder if all those slams I took when I was young have anything to do with that? Nah... can't be.