Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

RobotEmpire posted:

I think I'm going to sell my skateboard and stick to longboarding. Trying to ollie is crushing my loving spirit :(

When I first started longboarding I had such an intent on also buying a shortboard a little while later just to see if I can learn.

2 years later all I want is to go faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

RobotEmpire posted:

Rode like 5 miles on my longboard yesterday, very relaxing, lots of fun, lots of long smooth stretches of fresh blacktop to carve. But holy gently caress my left heel hurts from pumping so hard for so long. Time to buy new shoes. I know there are a lot of varying opinions on what shoes you can get, but are there any brands to just outright avoid?

I'm riding with some nike 6.0s right now and they are fantastic.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Yeah there is some suede on them but mine are an eyesore of bright oranges and blues with a black stripe on them. I can't seem to find the specific pair (I must have old ones?) but it's like a baskin robbins threw up on my shoes.

Anyhoo, the sole kicks rear end on those shoes and apparently I have nike's foot shape because they fit me like a dream.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Happy go skateboarding day! Longboarders are allowed to celebrate too right :shobon:

I cruised around the city and hit up a few garages by myself hoping to catch a few other riders but I say nobody! Oh well, maybe next time. I had a blast on my own catching all the evening sun. Some nights are made for cruising.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Mugmoor posted:

After a maybe 4-5 year hiatus on skateboarding I picked up a longboard today, I think I clocked in something like 4 hours of ride time today.

I'm exhausted, but it's such a blast.

Nice, dude! I put that in on wednesday and learned so much.

On sunday, if you are at all interested, there's an event happening in town called Slide School. A few guys run a little workshop every year to teach people how to do all kinds of slides down the best hill in the city.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Mugmoor posted:

I picked up a Madrid complete, has Gullwing trucks and Cadillac wheels. I forget the exact specs. It's nothing fancy but I'm having a blast with it.

I just got in from riding for about 13KM, holy crap my feet are sore.

edit: does anyone know a particularly good site or video explaining the Coleman Slide? I need to get that move nailed down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcQpcvkylGs Cliff Coleman himself explaining the trick!

I spent all day yesterday at the poop chute (you'll learn about it soon enough) trying to learn how to nail this. I think I need a better deck...

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Did you make it out to Longboard Living tonight, Mugmoor? Curious to know how your experience went.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Can you describe the setup you have there? It looks..........................interesting.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Unless you have eliminators on a 12 ply deck you can pump with anything on four wheels.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Bucket Joneses posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/21/sports/21longboard.html?_r=2&th&emc=th&pagewanted=all

gently caress just kill me. gently caress this stupid poo poo.

Care to explain yourself or are you just another 16 year old?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Nobody here itching for flame bait. Dude makes a nonconstructive post about some article in some paper without actually saying anything.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Time to take that badboy to a nice beach and dance around!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Downhill racing is the most fun thing I've ever gotten into.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Let's skate bros

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 5, 2010

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Knee pads really help but for long boarding slide gloves are probably just as important to have as a helmet.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Only the earliest uploaded footage so far. There's bound to be more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDlni21e4TM

Today was Toronto's 9th annual board meeting! 427 riders bombed down Yonge street that just so happens to have a killer hill on it.

Just about the most fun event I've been a part of.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

RobotEmpire posted:

That's great. Where in the ride is that hill?

It's first thing. We send all the kids and weaker riders + those without helmets down an easier route and they end up at the bottom of the hill. They stop traffic and clog the streets so that the rest of us can bomb Yonge St from the top.

Final count is somewhere between 450-475 riders.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You're longboarding, it happens. I have gnar on all four limbs and my butt that are still healing from a race a few weeks ago. It's only painful when you're scrubbing all the city dirt out to prevent a staph infection.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Mugmoor posted:

Looks like it was a rad time, sorry I missed it :(.

Oh mugmoor I totally forgot: Add ontariolongboarding.com to your daily visits. We're super active and one of the best longboarding communities you'll ever find.

Nuts to the LDPers at pavedwave and the idiots on silverfish.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Mugmoor posted:

Man I don't know what I'm gonna do once the snow hits. I guess Snowboard but I can't do that any drat time I want to like I can with longboarding :(. What do you guys usually end up doing?

It's not like Toronto really gets any snow...............

*edit almost forgot!*

So here's what I've been up to this summer. I work for a company called Roarockit Skateboard Company where I teach everyone from 10 years of age to some guy in his mid thirties how to build a deck. We go through every step discussing everything from the glue to the veneers to the easy as poo poo pressing system. It's a really simple process and if you've ever tried your hand at making a board you've probably come across roarockit's bag (or heard about it).

It's just about the most fun job in the world, I get to hang with kids and pretend I'm not about to hit thirty and when I have free time I make my own!

What you see are 1" drop decks. They're all 8-ply hard maple decks. These are all the same mold and template, except for the middle one, it's a narrower version with a slightly longer wheelbase with a black dyed veneer on the bottom face and definitely my best craftsmanship to date. My girlfriend hung out with me that day and worked on a little pinstriping stencil that we applied later that night.

It didn't come out perfect but for her first exposure to spray paint and stencilling she did a fantastic job.

I'm off to halifax for a week, gonna thrash that sexy board on their hills.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 16, 2010

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Here, have some more pictures! I'm spending the week out in halifax so I took some free time to grip my new board!

Borrowed some elements from the stencil we used for the bottom so I think it's fitting!

Mugmoor posted:

How much is all this? I'd totally drop by and make a board for next summer sometime.

It varies but you can learn how to build a simple 1" drop deck for 195 or learn how to make your own mold and template and everything else for almost 300.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

That's a very flexy board. Great for pumping and dancing, bad for free riding and downhill.

What kind of riding do you want to get down to Ghost?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

God I love weekends. Skated till 3am last night with some buds and I'm so close to getting 4 wheel standies dialed in.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

The season is dying but I've been riding garages with a few guys consistently. Learned how to powerslide tonight! Freeriding becomes more fun everyday.

Landyachtz just picked up a new rider and he owns. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD7Wl0K-AqY

Really wish I lived near those hills.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I love minis. I want to buy myself a Ceviche for kicking around the 'hood.

It's been around for a while now and it's kind of pricey but I love every second I've ever been on one. Perfect for doing everything I can't on my go fast deck.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Tenterhooks posted:

Slap's 'One In A Million' has been running for about a week and so far it's been awesome: http://www.slapmagazine.com/tag/one-in-a-million-2010

They pick a handful of up-and-comers, bring them to SF and spend the week skating. The dude that does best wins a spot on the flow team of a bunch of different companies. This year has a particularly great reality-show drama vibe to it thanks to one of the skaters, Forrest Edwards, being a complete rear end in a top hat (but an amazing skater). The last two episodes also feature one of the gnarliest hill-bombs ever.

Here's what's up so far:

Episode 1: Introducing the skaters.
Episode 2: Stair session
Episode 3: Gaps / rails / stairs / hills!
Episode 4: Rail / bumb session. Day 1 review.
Episode 5: Tranny spot / crazy hill-bomb cliffhanger.
Episode 6: Hill-bomb aftermath / downtown session.

That was really fun to watch but that last hill is nothing, it's only gnarly because they're all loving idiots without a lid.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I see someone who wants to know what eating through a straw is like.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

It depends on how intense you make your learning! I bought my first board second hand from a friend across the city and I was determined to ride it home. Combined with having a heavy backpack and dealing with downtown city traffic I picked it up in a loving hurry...

These days I'm trying to grow the balls to throw myself down a hill riding switch. Since the necessity isn't there I kind of don't practice it and have been telling myself I can learn to ride switch for like a year now.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I know not everyone lives in or near a major city, but if you can find an underground parking garage without security you've got yourself a private skate park. We've been hitting one downtown at night the last few weeks in the middle of all these blizzards and it's been fantastic. The place is heated too!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

In order of sheer entertainment from videos: Freestyle, Longboard freeriding, street, downhill racing.

Street and DH both jump to first if they're just bail vids

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Get a set of Randall II or Paris trucks. They're both cheap and awesome for what you pay. Whalley's wheel suggestion is perfect though you can go much cheaper than something from Abec 11.

That's gonna be a boring ride though, if you think you're ever going to go beyond just pushing your deck around town (There's a poo poo ton of tech/flip/slide tricks you can do with a longboard on flat) do yourself a favour and buy a set of yellow Durians. They're really fun and easy to work at low speeds.

*edit* I should clarify, a common trapping with longboards is to become obsessed with gear. It doesn't matter, in the end, what you ride because it's about your skill. As long as you don't wheelbite, you're golden.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 15, 2011

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Why yes, good sir! This IS why I got into skateboarding

http://vimeo.com/20724535

NSFW

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 8, 2011

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Thanks guys. I ride with my trucks pretty loose so I can get wheel bite pretty easy if I land a trick squirrely even with 1/8th pads. So I'll stick with that. I also get those lateral splits pretty good even with risers.

One other question. Low trucks vs. regular trucks...what's the deal?

It seems that generally when you lower yourself/center of gravity by removing risers or riding low trucks you trade maneuverability/leverage for stability. Is that the main draw, stability? Why low trucks?

Heh, I didn't know street had to worry about things like that. This is probably useless info to you but I'll answer it anyways for other people reading. For downhilling, people like to add risers for top-mounts to wedge/de-wedge a mount to get a better angle of attack in your tuck. Risers, period, help you grip a LOT more but it's that much easier to high-side and get thrown off your deck.

I assume you're talking about the angle of the hanger to the baseplate with low vs regular? The lower your angle the more "trail" you get in the mechanics of your trucks. This makes your deck a lot more stable at speeds at the cost of maneuverability without having to tighten your trucks.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

^^^ Rorys video is so good. I have a special spot for guys who film lines and not just tricks.

I'm about to build my girlfriend a longboard for her birthday. Earlier this year she said she made a pact with a friend to come and learn to skate with me. That means we'll be pushing and cruising everywhere for a while.

I have no idea what I'm going to build, exactly and I don't really have much experience with a variety of board types for stuff like cruising, dancing or pumping so I'm not sure what would be best. Obviously there is no objective best so this is why I want to ask you guys what YOUR preferences are for decks and why you think so. I should be able to put something together based on your input.

This info may or may not be relevant but I'll be mounting this deck on something like Paris 180s and some Atobe wheels.

Also: Spring is almost here! Skating at night, underground got old a while ago. Can't wait to hit the hills under the sun again.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I really have to find myself some street hardware and build myself a street deck. I've learnt how to ollie and do backside shuvits on my 40" drop deck but it's just so goddamn tiring and the cutout nose/tail makes it really bloody hard to land.

Kicking around on flat between DH/Freeride sessions is super relaxing though. Just hanging out and chatting with friends while skating pleases me.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

http://business.transworld.net/59632/features/2011-transworld-business-skate-retail-survey-methodology/

quote:

Longboard sales and popularity are increasing across the board, and not just in California or Florida but in the Midwest as well. In fact, it got to a point in our survey that we could almost guarantee that a shop would report increased longboard sales if they were in the vicinity of a college campus. Though this is disheartening for many core, purist skateboarders, even the shop owners who weren’t thrilled, acknowledged a potential for new customers and opportunity for sales growth with longboarding’s takeoff.

What a crock of bullshit.

"We hate your sport because we're an industry of huge drama queens, but we'll still take your money!"

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I'm exhausted so excuse me if this doesn't actually make any sense.

I guess when I made that post this morning I wasn't thinking of the general skater. I think that individuals can hold whatever opinion and attitude that they want. It's completely up to them and it really won't affect anything I do or anything others do regarding the sport of wood on 4 wheels.

What I'm getting at is the caricature you guys paint but as the retail store owner rather than the individual. Over the last 10 years skateboards have stopped making companies money as the formula has become standardized and customers become used to the idea of cheap once-a-month street decks. Practically everyone in the industry has been only making money selling apparel. The old prickly skateboarding "purists" that own and run all these retail stores across the continent haven't been about the sport in the least. It's only common sense, they run businesses! They have to be focused on making money or they're out of a home and job.

I'm reminded of my city's "premier" skate shop, Hogtown Sports. It's staffed by kids who don't give a poo poo because the owner is some old has-been who brings his jaded attitude about skateboarding into their store every day and those that do want to help keep it on the DL for fear of being ostracized. It's ridiculous. Longboards have the highest profit margins next to re-printed fruit of the loom t-shirts but you'll still get poo poo for asking about it in a streetdeck-first unless you walk into the store with your cash already in-hand.

In Toronto, our community has been very inviting towards the streetdeck crowd because most of us don't just ride 90 inch pintails in our barefeet sipping on a latte. We see more and more individuals coming out on their streetdecks just to hang out and skate but not ONCE have we ever seen any of the local streetdeck-based shops come out to support our events.

I can't help but laugh and laugh and laugh as I consider these things while watching today's streetdeck pros do modern-style DH runs and slides with pucks as young little shits in the early 80s.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

This whole thing doesn't bother me all that much, I was just set off this morning because that's a quote from a business publication which I'd hope would be a little less.....controversial in its choice of words.

Skating is skating, you just have to bring the right tool for the job!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Bucket Joneses posted:

These all sounds like ridiculous presumptions.

"I'd like to buy a longboard."

"Heh. I bet you would."

Yeah there's probably a ton of persecution complex in my post. What can you expect from a guy who started out as the coffee sipping A-to-B pintail rider...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Yeah alright those posts of mine are pretty stupid. It's been snowing just as we started picking up the warm weather and I am angsty as gently caress about it