Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Shortymrbig posted:

How do you guys deal with sudden cracks in the ground or lil rocks? I see them and try to push over them and I'm fine, but if I missed spotting the smallest of rocks I end up flying forward off my board. I don't fall really I just get launched ahead of my board. Kinda annoying really to get wrecked over a spec of rock.
On certain sidewalk cracks (like an inch high) you can do mini nollies without the deck making contact with the ground. The board bounces up off the crack using just the urethane of the wheels. As long as you're going fast enough to clear the back wheel and the crack isn't too big you can get some decent height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Shakey Shake posted:

Just stumbled across this image on google, thought I'd share.

I remember in the following issue they had an angry letter from someone worried that some impressionable Hensley wannabe out there would try and fling themselves off an overpass. Apparently the part with the transition wasn't that high off the ground.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

highme posted:

I forgot to mention that "mastering the ollie" should be an end of the day goal, not an end of the summer goal. It's not hard, I can do it, I suck, and have always sucked. Make your goal to be able to ollie on to something, a curb or planter etc., it gives you a tangible goal and prevents you from overthinking the actual ollie.
That's how Natas Kaupas learned to ollie except I think he also had older kids threatening to beat him up if he couldn't ollie up to the 2nd stair next time they ran into him.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

donJonSwan posted:

Paul Rodriguez is a loving beast.

His new commercial for Nike SB is pretty drat good too.
The cop in the passenger seat looks a lot like Lance Mountain.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Eat The Rich posted:

hey skatergoons, my girlfriend and I decided to try skateboarding again. We both skated a little in high school and that was it and now we're 30.

We got some cool rear end boards made and she's getting better every day but I'm having an issue figuring out my stance. When I was younger, I skated goofy and mongo and I know now that that's really bad. I can ollie in the grass but only goofy. Regular hurts my brain.

I should have no problem skating regular since that's what mongo+goofy is when you push but then I stand goofy. I dunno if that makes sense. I'm thinking I should just learn how to skate regular. Any tips? This is hard one to google.

Sounds like you're goofy. Since you can already ollie goofy I would suggest staying with that stance and re-learning to push the conventional way using your left foot. I think changing your pushing technique will be easier on the brain than flipping your whole stance.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

big black turnout posted:

If I get a 9.25" board, should I try to get wider grip tape or just slap 9" tape in the middle-ish

If the 10" wide sheets are unavailable you can always slice a 9" sheet in half vertically, flip the halves around and leave a 1/2" bare stripe running the length of the deck.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

If any of you were itchin' to get your hands on an 8.45" Andy Anderson Flight deck, SkateOne has them back in stock (but probably not for long)

https://www.skateone.com/powell-peralta-pro-andy-anderson-heron-flightr-skateboard-deck-8-45-x-31-8

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

RIP in peace Zane Timpson 1995 - 2021

Insanely talented. He also did the editing and animations for his parts. His frontside 270 into the Hunter's Point sundial is the stuff of legend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ9ouB37AgA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d6TBfIZzh0

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Laserface posted:

Also that my trucks are too loose, despite being tightened. I can turn a really sharp carve no issue at low speed but as he pointed out, how is that actually practical say on a sidewalk at a faster pace? Sidewalk you're weaving through people and around debris, you're not carving a 2m diameter circle like I do when I'm on the court practicing.

I try to avoid skating on sidewalks altogether unless it's a big plaza or one of those wide sidewalks in a park used by joggers, bicyclists, etc. If it's a typical city sidewalk I'd rather just skate in the street instead of weaving around pedestrians.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Thrasher's Skater of the Year 2021 is...

which is not a surprise considering the 4 parts he's dropped this year, my favorite being this most recent one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTGeMZxZ9Tk

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Adolf Glitter posted:

You know when you watch skateboarding video with non skaters and they marvel at it and ask "how do they make it stick to their feet?! It's like magic!" Well that's how I feel when I watch him.
He is so precise and smooth that I have to really think about what I'm seeing to fully appreciate it. He makes it look effortless.
Kickflips off a garage roof for example, will never look effortless imo.

Glad that he won it though as Thrasher is generally skewed towards the balls-out stuff so it's cool to see, especially as he's been in the running a few times already.
Andy Anderson is still my main man though.

Yeah some people try to paint Suciu as a tryhard, but if his SOTY win gets more skaters to put out more parts, it's a net good.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Another test you can try is to stand upright on the ground facing forward and have someone behind you give you a push with just enough force that you have to step forward to avoid falling over. Whatever foot naturally goes forward first is your front foot.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

It's cool that they brought everyone together to revisit the gap. Richard King is an original. That floppy leg after he slams gave me sweaty palms though... :barf:

Chad Caruso, a skate vlogger from Long Island, went on a 50 day road trip to land one new trick per day per U.S. state. The schedule alone is difficult to pull off but the tricks themselves are pretty impressive too, kind of Cody McEntire style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1bS5i5fKsQ

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Yep... things started looking bad when Bill Weiss was abruptly fired from Madness a month ago, which caused basically the whole Madness team to quit in solidarity. Looks like Dwindle Distribution is the latest to fall prey to vulture capitalists. Not sure what's gonna happen to Almost, Blind, and Darkstar.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Things I just learned today: P-Rod is the son of Paul Rodriguez the stand-up comic.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ConPBZVjPi2/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

All this time I just thought they were two unrelated guys named Paul Rodriguez. Like Chris Miller the director and Chris Miller the vert legend.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

NonzeroCircle posted:

A couple weeks ago I was clever and wore wristguards so I don't break my hand or wrist.

Dislocated my elbow instead and now I've had my tendons reattached and carbon fibre put in there.

Oof. Back at the end of May I thought it might be cool to try and ride across some rail tracks with my new Dragon wheels. It wasn't. My truck hung up, and I got pitched into the pavement, absorbing most of the impact with my left kneecap and hands. The mobility returned and the pain is gone but now I have a squishy pocket of joint effusion in my knee that's just kind of sticking around, I guess. I need to learn how to roll-fall like Buster Keaton instead of smacking the ground like a dead flounder.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I'm sure he'll have clips here and there in the future but I believe him when he says this is his last official video part. He's 55 and probably retiring all the tricks he did in this video. Nollie 270 shove-it to lipslide over the gap is insane. Good to see guest clips from the OG Bones Brigade as well.

ArmedZombie posted:

for harder durometer wheels you probably won't notice a difference, but some people swear by formula 4. supposedly powell dragons are the old guy wheel of choice, but i haven't ridden them.

As a confirmed old, I can vouch for Dragons. They absorb some of the vibrations of rough pavement like a 93A wheel, but slide like a harder wheel. They just sound a little odd when they slide. They don't have that signature chirp of a conventional street wheel.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

So far no flatspots with mine. But I haven't been doing a lot of bluntslides or tailslides lately. I'll test them out on some ledges and curbs.

Lumpy posted:

I think this is universally true. When I go around 8am, it's all old farts who are pretty cool. Here's me a couple months ago on my 54th birthday grinding the 7' section of the bowl for the first time (well, probably the 3rd time, but this was the first day I could do it)

I want to skate a modern bowl like this with mellow transition and the tiles under the coping. The bowl closest to me is nice but it was designed in the late 2000s for Antihero pro riders so the deep end of the bowl has like 3 feet of vert and a little bit of oververt. I get flashbacks to watching Free Solo every time I peer over the edge and contemplate dropping into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

A time-honored holiday tradition returns. The latest Tired video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fccaNxZHC_4