Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
My project over the next couple of weeks is to make a press, but in the meantime I found my dads old set of waterskis that will soon be fitted with some trucks and wheels.

Here they are glued with 6 inches cut off the back end. They are now 60x6.

Stained with a couple coats of finish.

Profile of the one I am keeping.

Nice pic of it out side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I think they are solid teak, with a thin slice of maple laminated in the curve. They should have a bit of natural flex.
I am trying to decide where to put the trucks at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmFavaWtUcE&NR=1
I like where these are placed but I don't know if the old Teak can handle that much bend.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I started my long board press today, and am making it out of reclaimed oak planks.

I also picked up some cheap plywood at the lumber supplier, these are all topsheets from when stuff is shipped, it will be perfect for some test decks.

It included a sheet of baltic birch. :dong:

Here is the largest piece of oak after being planed and having one side jointed.

Here is the cut up pile of plywood, cut in 4 1/2 foot and 3 1/2 respectively.
The longest one is for the bottom of the press.

A couple test curves.

The 3 1/2 foot birch.

Hopefully by tomorrow evening I will have a test board in the press, and can be riding around on a ghetto plywood board by the end of the week.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

Obscuritatem posted:

Nice project, I'm liking this and the waterski mod. It'll be good to see how they turn out. A friend of mine made a DIY press and his (old skool shaped) deck actually turned out quite nice. I remember he had a problem with the glue or something so it fell to bits fairly quickly though.

Yeah I have access to several glues at the moment since I repair furniture. The press solid as gently caress, but I need to do some research into what glue I need to buy board wise.
As far as wood goes my neighbor works at the lumber supplier so as soon as I have cash I am ordering some maple, bamboo, and baltic birch.

I got 3 pics taken before my camera decide to give up the ghost.

Then I finished assembly last night and and put a couple of pieces of ply in to test the shape.

The reclaimed oak is pretty, since its all weathered and full of worm holes. :nature:

Pics are horrible because I had to use photobooth on my hackentosh netbook.
Empty Press

top of press

2 sheets of ply glued with 4 hour epoxy

Crappy blank ready to cut.

The plan is to try to make a drop thru, I just need to borrow my buddies boards so I can make some traces.
It looks pretty smooth except, that I need to take the belt sander to the press an fix the angle on a couple of the ribs.

All this was done with out any plans except for looking at the toothless page. http://users.telenet.be/Toothless/Toothless/pages/instructions/press/press.html
When you make stuff out of scraps and reclaimed wood it means you have to just MacGyver it and go with your gut.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

RobotEmpire posted:

I just want to say I had something to acknowledge the hard work of the DIYers in the thread lately other than, "Wow." Unfortunately I don't have any frame of reference, so all I'll say is, wow!

Here is a frame of reference.
http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboard-board-building/

I should have some of the cheap plywood test boards cut out tomorrow. Next week I plan on making a vlam board in that press with whatever wood I have lying around. Hopefully I can find a piece of birdseye maple and some tiger oak.

I started these projects because my goon friend got me hooked a couple weeks ago. Before that I never got into any kind of boarding. I think it was because my first boarding experience was when I was 5 I took oldschool plastic board down a hill, and all I remember is it not ending well.

Growing up in rural Idaho with no where to board was also a big part of it.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I did a little waterski board work last night.
I used some brass enamel in my baby spray gun and it turned out amazing.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

My goon friend told me the other day that he would take me up on my offer of a trade for his pintale. He wanted brass trucks on his, which is why I decided to do some test painting on mine.

We cleaned off the pin tale recently so I have some plans of putting a veneer on the bottom to class it up a pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

I got the 2 mini test boards cut out today!

Aslo while I had access to the shop I made a pintail out of a solid piece of reclaimed white oak.
Complete with rough cut saw marks, the board was old and had developed a natural concave to it.

It has some antique nail holes in it, but I will put filler epoxy in them before its finished.

Dimensions are 9"x50" and it's a bit heavy. I have some shaping to do on the bottom and that will lighten it up a bit.