Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I blew out my knew snowboarding a bout 3 or 4 years ago. After that I fell off the wagon for skating and snowboarding. I worked at a local skate/snowboard shop for 8 years (on and off), with the combination of quitting that job and a blown out knee I haven't done poo poo for years. Fear of exploding my knee and falling to the ground like a little girl (no offense ladies) has kept me from really going out and skating or riding.

I hope to change that this summer as I miss skating and I could definitely use the exercise. It's still lovely outside and although the snow is melting it's still a ways away till the non-hardcore can skate. I'll probably just hit up parking lots of the skate parks now and then. Looks like I'll have to relearn everything and get my confidence back but as long as it's fun, it's all good.

I'll poke my head in now and then and answer some questions, while I may not be up to date on all the trendy poo poo, I do have about 8 years of skate shop experience, and about 20 years total of skateboarding experience. So I'm sure I have some useful information somewhere in my "old-man has-been" brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

What ever happened to the fear of getting beat up for being at the park and getting in peoples ways, or not being good enough? Kids these days...

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

True that.

I remember being about 5 or 6 years old and skating through airports on my hands and knees. Yay baby, I'm old school! haha. Back when airports were fun and skateboards had no noses.

I'm up here in Anchorage Alaska and we got a few dismal parks. I miss the good ole days of just going to one of the schools and spending all day skating there. Can't do that now, otherwise I'd probably skate a lot more. I don't like dealing with the parks cause they're small, crowded and filled with people I don't like anymore. The road out front of my apartment is too poo poo to skate on otherwise I'd get a box or a rail or something and shesh it up. Guess i'll just have to man-up and find a place to shred this summer.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

yeah, the girdwood park is good, and one of my favorites. Just a long drive. I lived in Girdwood on and off for a few years so I spent some time there. I'm not sure on the base skatepark situation. I just want to shred in a nice little place with a box and curbs and poo poo. I miss Hanshew. :(

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Bucket Joneses posted:

What happened to Hanshew? I imagine by now they've put stoppers on the ledges and the steps.

Which is a real shame because that spot was the loving jam back in the day. Great spot to learn and even greater spot to watch the really good skaters go huge off the second and third ledges.

yeah, stoppers and they call the cops or they have security or something. sucks. I skated that place from 7th grade, when I was actually going to Hanshew, all the way till the shut her down. It's been awhile since she's been shut down. Had a lot of good times at that spot.

I think that's what I miss most about skating now-a-days. I don't have a place to just linger. Skate parks are too busy and small and kind of out of the way. I just want to shred in mostly private so I can suck all by myself.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

ah, memories...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhLBTYLg_qE

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

It's all trial and error and learning what works best for you. If you spaz out then you spaz out. Over time you'll get it down just keep on trying. Once you get the balance aspect of it worked out then you can work on your style.

I remember when I first really truly learned to nose manual. It was such a good feeling: getting locked into place and holding it in place and going for a decent distance. nose grinds are super fun like that too. Once you 'feel it', you'll have it down good.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

And then there are nose manual in which you have to lean way the gently caress forward :o !

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

The shop decks we used to do at my old work were made by Shuv-It. It was funny when we'd actually get Shuv-It decks in and everyone would bash them, or call them crap, but then spend the money on a shop deck that was a Shuv-It and exclaim how they are the best decks ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I like 54mm wheels.