Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
God I hate backside 180's, they're my bane.

Frontside feels soooo much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

carpenstein posted:

Hey everybody, this thread has given me the itch to go out and try skateboarding for once I love watching it but never really got out there to try it. So after thinking about it for a few weeks I really want to try my hand at a longboard I like the style of skating that can be done with it. so were should I start in choosing one for me, I am over whelmed at the dozens of styles, sizes, wheels, trucks and what have you. for me I am looking for something to get around on campus with and do some mild carving on in my free time. so thanks for any help you goons can give.

http://www.krackedskulls.com

Get some big soft wheels with it, and have fun. Don't over think it - just ride as soon and as much as possible.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Shortymrbig posted:

Goons help me out.

Hit the parks early, you'll have the place to yourself, and anyone there is bound to be 25+ and we're a friendly bunch - honest.

Do you have a house? Backyard? If so, build something. It's not hard. A small quarter pipe (3 feet tall, mellow transition) will do wonders to your balance.

Practice tic tacs - regular and switch, don't stress over a single trick. Spend lots of time on the board.

When you want to ollie, re-read the advice in this thread - there is a ton of it. I personally learned by setting up a hose in my backyard and slamming into it over and over again until I finally got them down. Don't learn anything standing still IMO, it's harder.

It just takes time - don't give up and the sooner you stop thinking about other people the quicker you'll learn to enjoy yourself.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
In regards to dropping in...

Reach down and grab the nose of your board.

The shoulder first roll will almost force you into committing.

..and like everything else in skateboarding, bend your knees.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
The Gang of Fourstar video was awesome.

I'm sticking to my guns and saying Malto is taking Skater of the Year.

I need to figure out a way to strengthen my ankles, I rolled mine again this last Sunday on a BS noseslide.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

kylej posted:

Busenitz is another good candidate but king of the kooks Jake Phelps claims Booze "hasn't done poo poo for the mag" so who knows.

I dig Busenitz, a lot. I would be stoked if he won too. I really want a pair of his shoes, but I can't really justify the 75$ price point.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Currently riding this:

Got this one, and the Where the Wild Things Are series on the wall:

Click here for the full 212x750 image.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Arbor's are beautiful.

Is that thing bamboo?

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Zizzyx posted:

I'm also starting to get a lot more comfortable on the board after some embarrassing low-speed rear end bustings - lean forward!

Grats on your first board dude, super loving cool.

Try and get comfortable going faster as soon as possible, it sounds kind of silly, but the slower you go - the easier it is to fall.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
It really just comes down to timing, and how high you can jump.

Do calf raises, jump a lot, visualize sucking your knees into your chest immediately after you hear the crack of the board slapping the ground.

Setting up obstacles is probably the easiest way to boost your height, just try and get over something small, then raise up a couple inches. Reverse limbo.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Bend your knees more, and loosen up. Get in the habit of kicking up the nose of your board over cracks.

Eventually you'll learn to scan the horizon without thinking about it. It just takes hours, days and months on the board before you're comfortable.

Then the second you're most comfortable you'll eat poo poo, I promise.

:)

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

elTeddy posted:

i'm six foot three, how big a deck should i get?

Whatever is comfortable, grab a couple off the wall that you dig.. stand on them, feel it out.

8" is a good starting point, IMO.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Having a stable center of gravity is good for most sports I guess.

..skating and blading both develop core/leg strength too.

Just don't go around waxing any rails at my local parks please, rollerbladers seem to have a nasty habit of doing that.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 7, 2009

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Golem II posted:

wheels don't wear down in size. even if they are soft.

You need to do some more powerslides, yo.

Thrasher Skater of the Year voting is up, I'm sticking to Malto... but I have a feeling it's going to be Cole.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Zizzyx posted:

Low trucks, no riser pads, and yeah it's def weird he didn't say anything but I've been doing great(ish) with them so far. They go way faster than I can skate down any significant incline though. I haven't had much wheel bite so far, which I think is because my bushings are extremely hard - I have the kingpin nut flush with the bolt, but everybody still says I'm riding tight vOv. I'm probably going to leave them on because I can't really afford to buy things that I don't use. Any way I could get my money's worth out of them?

Riser pads are only 25 cents or so, pick up two 1/4" pads and you'll be set.

It will feel strange, but better than what it will feel like to get nasty wheel bite.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Mincher posted:

I'm getting back into skateboarding although I've never been that good, to be honest. I can pop a decent ollie :smug: but I'm still trying to get the hang of timing jumps up and off things. It's a killer!

Then there's kickflips. I've still to convince my brain that it's a good idea to land on the magical spinny thing below me (front foot planting). Ho hum. :smith:

Oh yeah, I'm a bit late getting into this game at 25.

Edit: typo.

Never too late brother, sounds like you're doing just fine.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Bucket Joneses posted:

Here are some other photos of the spot.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

It's pretty gnarly and always under construction but it's really fun and it's the only spot to skate when it's raining.

How is THAT empty?

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Zizzyx posted:

Just starting to get comfortable riding transition. The park in my town has transitions that go almost vertical while only being around 5 feet tall, so it was...difficult to start riding up and down them. I'm still not fully comfortable dropping in, but I can pump, ride back down fakie, and pivot (unless I went up fakie). I think once I can drop in smoothly I'll start trying to learn rocks and stalls.

Still can't even land a shove-it though, but I'm pretty close. Do most of the tricks get easier to learn after you can kickflip and pop shove? Also, I am completely unable at the moment to ollie in any stance but regular, is it going to get harder to learn switch/nollie/fakie the longer I wait?

Too much mind sir. Just relax and have fun, don't stress about the order you learn tricks. Just do whatever feels right.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

we found a new spot off the side of a highway. its some kind of industrial plant with a nice steep bank to a stall spot.

Rad, I've been looking for a spot just like this.

That dude doesn't look AZN.

Bombed some parking garages on my dervish this weekend, one of them was ~6 stories tall, holding a turn that long has turned my hamstrings to jello. Standing up hurts soooo loving bad.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

leica posted:

Hey DELETED, what were the bushings that everyone likes again? I'm ready to swap out the stock bushings on my crackedskulls already.

Running Khiro double barrel bushings seems like the standard, I run a Orange and Blue combination on my Dervish.

Buying something like this kit is a pretty good investment if you're not sure what type of ride you're looking for.

There are some smaller companies like Venom that apparently do a good drat fine job as well.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
The Machotaildrop trailer looks pretty cool, appropriately hipster-esque.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 5, 2010

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Bucket Joneses posted:

You did not link what you think you linked.

Wow, you're totally right.

Fixed.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I'd love to set up a smallish private park with 4 or 5 other key holders.

Just an old man bunker with a fun bowl or some such poo poo.

Here's a cool article on Slap talking about this poo poo exactly.

I just don't know enough people to get it rolling.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

MobMentality posted:

Cashing in on the offer for help getting a setup. I'm 210 lbs looking to get in to skateboarding. I've never done it before in my life. I want to use it mostly for weekend transportation to the park and occaisionally as a way to get around the neighborhood - nowhere to keep a bike where I'm at, you see. I'm also a pretty drat good snowboarder, I do mostly back country and "skier runs" so I'm looking for a way to train my balance during the warm months. I definitely do not want a longboard. Too many people where I'm at get those, ride them for a month, and then never use them again. There's a pretty sweet skate park where I'm at but I'm not quite interested in that yet. I'd be thankful for any advice anyone could give!

Depending on where you live, I'd hit up the local shop and pick up a 8.5 to 9" deck.

Some rad smaller companies who make sturdy decks are Deckcrafters, Old Man Army and Bacon.

Search around for a local brand and support those dudes.

You'll want Indy 169 trucks, 1/4" risers and a pair of Bones Medium Bushings (these are important).

Soft-ish 60mm 85a wheels like Rainskate Tsunamis would give you a nice smooth ride, and they'll be big enough to roll over some nasty pebbles.

Go for Bones Reds, or Bones Swiss bearings depending on your budget.

Grip doesn't matter, I dig Mob.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 10, 2010

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

RobotEmpire posted:

Yeah I'm wearing my Vibram FiveFingers now. Board's a lot more steerable when I don't have an inch of shoe material between me and the board.

Go out and get a pair of skate shoes.

Those creepy space feet are hideous and embarrassing.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
There are a lot of 30+ dudes out there riding with their kids, I'm drat near 30 myself.

Being old isn't an excuse for being a kook.

Honestly though, I'm self conscious enough to buy into style nearly as much as substance. Do what feels right and keep riding.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Girl is my go-to brand as well.

Seriously though, if your town is lacking spots (you'll find out soon enough that this isn't true) build some of your own.

There are a lot of good sites out there with free ramp plans.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Decks generally have their name or logo somewhere on the board. If you don't know brands or professional riders names it can be kind of hard to tell.

The type of deck it is won't matter for her, but avoid Target or Walmart completes like the plague. Everything they've got is trash and the trucks/wheels they come with are dangerously shoddy.

Take the board into a local skate shop and have them grip it and throw some components on it. Try to avoid the mall shops if possible, the people who work there rarely know what they're doing.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 20, 2010

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

DJ Tanuki posted:

I've always wanted to learn and this thread inspired me to get out there!
I'm a pretty small woman, 5 feet tall and about 95-100 pounds. I was thinking of just borrowing my cousin's old deck to start with but I'm wondering if my height and weight would impact what kinds of gear I would use. Any advice? I'm a complete beginner but I'd like to learn how to ride around and try some tricks eventually.

Just try and stay on the board as long as possible. The type of board it is doesn't matter when you're just starting.

I wouldn't worry about the type of setup it is until you plan on buying one for yourself.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Don't loosen your trucks too much. If your hanger falls off while you're riding it'll get messy real quick.

You can find softer bushings at most good skate shops.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Get out there and roll dude. Find a nice basketball court and just cruise around in circles, keep an eye out for pebbles.

Omar Salazar gets me so loving stoked.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Echo'ing the Kracked Skull recommendation, and reiterating what was said on the last page....

Get a pair of real skate shoes.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

RobotEmpire posted:

I realize this may make me sound like a huge rear end in a top hat, and I don't intend to be, but I guess I don't understand what makes "skate shoes" so special. Is there a kind of insole or something they've got?

They're flat, which gives you more surface area and stability which may translate to less strain.

Just seems kinda arrogant to look at shoes that have been developed over 30 years for a sport and assume their use is purely aesthetic.

You're also using a lot of crazy new muscles that you don't need for running or other activities, so it may just be harsh DOMS.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
No stress dude. :downs::respek::downs:

I had a nasty bout of plantar bursitis that really freaked me out a month or so ago. Learning which stretches hit that part of my foot (toe curls, calf raises) killed it pretty quickly.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
gently caress yeah, congrats dude.

I've been working insane overtime and haven't made the time to skate in nearly two weeks. I'm blowing it.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Real old men ride 40mm

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

leica posted:

Did anyone else ride Slimeballs besides me? And I remember when Bullet 66's came out, it felt like my speed almost doubled riding bowls.

My first board had Slimeballs, loved them.

Found an awesome DIY spot on my lunch break yesterday, it has two quarters right now. Looking forward to adding a ledge sometime next weekend.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

leica posted:

If you want a decent kicktail I'd get the Loaded Fish.

My friend has the Ceviche, it's a loving blast to ride.

I love my Dervish, don't really feel like I need a kicktail for the type of longboard riding I do... which is mostly just mellow carving with the occasional (sketchy) slides.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I've got a Bern Macon helmet that I don't wear nearly often enough.

I love the way it fits and highly recommend it to anyone looking to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Just got back from a local park, went on my lunch break with a couple coworkers.

70 hour work weeks be damned. Even though I am tired as hell and going on 5 hours of sleep, I feel like a million bucks after 15 minutes on the board.