Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Death of the artist must apply to skateboarding or I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to watch a lot of dudes for a wide variety of reasons.

No, you see a skateboarder who gave a "trashy" interview to Big Brother when he was a 16 year old kid couldn't possibly change his world view so he's a lovely person forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

i dont begrudge anyone their own hate choices but like Nyjah is basically a product of extreme skateboarding themed child abuse and this is literally all he has. He used to have his entourage pay his electric bills an whatnot because his dad kidnapped him at like 7 and wouldn't let him do poo poo but skate.

Tiger Tiger Woods y'all.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I never realized that everyone has the same "skate face"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

XIII posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFRPhi0jhGc

Maybe someone else will enjoy this as much as I did. Rodney Mullen is a goddamn jem.

Mullen being a hologram would make sense tbf.

I love watching his tricks in slow motion, there's so goddamn much going on.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Gimme a time stamp where something interesting happens this poo poo is two hours long mang

He's done a couple interviews with those guys and they've all been ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtwDd389xqo

Here's a taste though.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tony Hawk's "Skatehoarders" collection. There's some pretty iconic stuff in there. Definitely worth a watch if you're old like me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBAheqL6GjQ

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thief posted:

yeah they love consistency when riding things that can break your neck. i'm pretty sure its a 90s thing that stemmed from rollerbladers waxxing the poo poo out of everything in sight which can really gently caress you up on rails too if you aren't expecting it

Rollerbladers, or ...aggressive inline skating as it was, what happened to that? It’s like we’ve all erased that from our consciousness. I say that as a guy who conned his parents into buying them a pair of Rollerblade Dirk inline skates. I also have a Dyno Air freestyle bike with a Gyro and three spoke GT composite wheels.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

They're still around. One of the indoors here tries to give them a one-night-a-week concession every few years but it inevitably gets spoiled by some rear end in a top hat with a persecution complex overwaxing everything out of spite.

It’s like we all saw those two Japanese dudes(they may have been brothers, I’m not sure) just destroy everyone for five years of X Games and we were all just like, ok, that’s rad enough for strapping the wheels on your feet.

Also aggressive inline is a horrible name for something that already had a horrible name.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm sure someone out there has min/maxed board size vs landing in terms of ease to flip, weight, and foot landing area but like every sport the "optimized" thing isn't always the one that gets the best results for an individual.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

That poo poo is loving terrifying.

But why don't these dudes go on Amazon and buy a few reflective vests and some bullshit hard hats, maybe a few pair of Dickies so they can blend in and get good intel on spots for, I'd say, at least an hour or so, before they get thrown out as imposters.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Garfu posted:

Carlos Lastra is going to help me land my first tre flip in 20 years on Friday. Pretty excited.

Is Aaron Kyro going to be there to try and convert you to Scientology?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Garfu posted:

Welp, barely skated in 20 years and landed this today: https://streamable.com/isgl6

The lesson was pretty great. Carlos is a good dude. And I emerged unscathed and continue to not be a scientologist.

Edit: I tried to remove the slow mo but wasn't able to, and not shown is getting into primo, didn't just step up. Fun stuff

This is cool dude. What was the vibe like at the Braille House? It seems like a cool spot to skate if you’re not getting roped into silliness.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

You absolutely don’t have a grade three quad strain lol. You’d be scheduling surgery if that were the case.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The full segment was a fun little watch, I think he said he hadn’t done a street part in 25 years.

It’s a little odd to watch a Tony Hawk video where he isn’t padded up but the dude can obviously skate and it was cool to see him do some technically good street tricks and go hard. The Berrics did a bunch of videos him and they’re all pretty interesting.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I know this is the skate thread but I just watched the BMX Big Air from the XGames this weekend and those dudes are absolutely loving batshit insane.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Spaced God posted:

This past X Games event was the best it's been in a decade or so. BMX Big Air and FMX Best Trick both showed huge levels of progression, they brought back skate park best trick (last won by... uh.. Chad Muska? in 2003????) and they added in skate park adaptive for amputees or otherwise handicapped folks and there was some awesome poo poo there.

(also they're all on X Games' youtube page for free)

I was telling someone earlier that this year it seemed that everyone realized that no one in the mainstream gives a gently caress about action sports anymore and they have no one to impress, so they just went back to loving around.

Park Best Trick was actually loving terrible to watch if you’re a casual skateboard fan(if those exist). 9 competitors, they were restricted to one specific spot on the park and I think 4 guys actually landed tricks. Nyjah won, he landed two tricks, both were loving nuts, but it was pretty much a half hour of dudes bailing on tricks and the commentators going “well you know if he’s filming a video part it could take days” or just flat out saying “these guys are trying to do hard tricks, it’s no wonder they’re not landing them.”

Even as someone who watches a lot of skate stuff I got bored really quickly, still watched the whole thing, but if you only watch video parts I could see someone tuning out after like five minutes.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Spaced God posted:

Backflip in, nothing bikeflip, front flair is objectively the best run to happen in that comp don't @ me

I remember when someone doing a flair was loving crazy. What do you mean he’s going to do a backflip and land in the transition facing the “right” way?

Now these dudes are doing flairs with rotations, quadruple tailwhips, fucks sake. The bike flip, especially front bike flip is an absolutely batshit crazy trick, you’re throwing the bike away from you and hoping you can catch it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Whalley posted:

Both games are clearly made by people who skate, and I'm glad they're both happening at the same time. Who knows what one's gunna be successful, but whatever one winds up coming out on top, we're gunna have a good-rear end skateboarding game again.

Neither.

You might get a good skateboarding game but not one that will be commercially successful.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

This.

Gamers are the one group least mentally equipped to deal with setback and we want them to buy a skateboarding game?

There’s a reason why skateboard, and golf video games pretty much died. They got to technical for normal people who just wanted to do 900s off curbs and drive a golf ball 350 yards.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thank you for confirming that Vice is hot garbage.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen in my life, holy poo poo.

I mean holy loving poo poo.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

This is ridiculous.

I bet that dude's palms are like concrete.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I just dedicated 20 minutes straight to heel flips
and by the end I could land them half the time at speed and it looked 100% intentional and clean.

I've been angry and mad all the time lately but this makes me so happy.

Heel flips are weird because you're moving your body the "wrong" way.

It's so much easier to open your body when you ollie as opposed to closing it like you would with a heelflip. Your body wants to open up when you ollie so a kickflip just exaggerates that by dragging your toe away. A heelflip you're ollieing into but then you have to close your body shape which is an unnatural movement when you're jumping in general.

It's like if you surprised someone, you'd jump off of one foot and turn a specific way, like if you jumped off of your right foot you'd turn left to yell surprise, or vice versa. A heel flip is like jumping off of your right foot and turning to the right.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 12, 2019

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

How does one even vote on skater of the year? You have guys like Nyjah who win 47 contests across the year and then 25 video parts come out showing more ridiculous skating and then a couple fringe skaters put out these really rad parts skating spots no one has skated and doing amazing tricks

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Boredumb posted:

I have absolutely put dislocated fingers back in (paying for it now with constant hand pain 20 years later). Getting old sucks

Done this with my left knee multiple times, albeit playing soccer. I’d like to go back to knowing what it’s like to walk up stairs without pain again

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mrfart posted:

skateboarding.txt

life.txt

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

XIII posted:

I would absolutely wear those pink swoosh Nikes

They cost $600 and you have an 73% chance of getting coronavirus.

All of those numbers are made up.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Steve-O can skate

https://youtu.be/cecSTjzat54

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Correction: Ryan Simonetti can skate

That’s pretty much what he says in the video lol

He (Steve-O) just started a podcast too, first guest is Tony Hawk

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 20, 2020

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0rSYEoBMYM

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

https://www.versace.com/us/en-us/home-collection/versace-lifestyle/for-the-gym/printed-skateboard-z7011/ZSKATE001-ZWOOD001_Z7011.html

Fucks sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Did he properly break his head at some point? He's not just wearing a helmet, it's strapped up all tight to his chin so it would actually be effective too.