Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I enjoy that even in text form, a gathering of skateboarders includes copious amounts of the word 'dude'.

Dudes: it's rainy as poo poo in the PacNW. I am so loving glad I discovered that indoor park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The best thing about a broken or sprained wrist is that even if you have one you can still skate for hours after it happened. If I busted both, though, I'd probably go home and make friends with a bag of ice.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That's a pretty cool idea but I'd focus on three major spots to recreate instead of a bunch. If you can get two or three spots faithfully captured for a park then you'd be in business.

The trick is going to be which spots to recreate and how feasible it is. I don't know if recreating the Embarcadero is exactly going to happen.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I think a lot of beginners ride really rigid truck setups because, for the most part, they're not traveling at very high speeds while attempting tricks. When you're going sort of slow on loose trucks it becomes very hard to stabilize yourself.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

For the most part unless you're an amazing skater the only poo poo that matters are good bearings and a decent deck shape. poo poo, I just learned and dialed three flips on a six-year-old shop deck that is a piece of crap.

As an aside: clean three flips look and sound amazing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I broke a deck for the first time in I don't know how long. Just doing a simple three flip over a hip and it gave. I've been skating non stop for the last month as the weather in Seattle has been really nice so I guess it was feelin the pressure.

The good news is that three flips are in serious effect now that I can do them with speed and I also get to buy a new setup.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Mincher posted:

I ate poo poo on a hill today.

My hands, knees and back are torn to gently caress.

PAIN. :(

I've only ever done that once in college. Going down Jefferson right outside of Seattle University and I just wobbled the gently caress out and skipped like a hockey puck on my back. I had three big, round, bloody circles where my spine made contact with the pavement.

Never again.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Kick flips and heel flips are equally troublesome for me but whenever I actually do a heel flip correctly it's always the hugest pop in the world with a perfect backfoot catch and it makes me wonder why I can't do them all the time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Same. poo poo, I learned varials before I ever solidly landed a kick flip.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

anotherblownsave posted:

Just went out today for the first time since I posted saying my goal was to learn kick-flips by the end of the summer. I am able to spin them...and land on the board. The unfortunate part is that I seem to be over spinning them? I land on the wrong side of the board :(

The whole time you're flipping the board, look at it. Observe the rotation so you can see when you need to lower your back foot to "catch" the deck. If you're not watching the deck you won't know when to grab it.

Edit: Finally got some money and bought a new setup. This weather is too good to not be skating.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 15, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Those Ventures look like they're 7.5" wide. It seems like it'd feel weird to have a 7'5" wheelbase on an 8" board.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

DELETED posted:

It looks like they're universal risers that can be used on both old school and new school bolt patterns

No you can see that there is visibly a portion of the trucks that are not being supported by the riser.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

gently caress the threads on one of my trucks are entirely hosed up. I don't want to have to buy a tool just to fix the threads... might as well just get new trucks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Obscuritatem posted:

If the thread is stripped just wrap some duct-tape or plumbing thread tape round it before you put the nuts back on, they won't shift. That nylock locktite stuff works as well.

How will putting duct tape on the threads make it so that the nut will bite? The problem is that the end of the axle has no thread opening for the nut to enter.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

teamgod posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm obviously looking for a good pair of shoes that won't destroy my wallet. Know of any low(er) end shoes that are still great for skating?

I went to Nordstrom Rack last week and got two pairs of nice Vans for 60 bucks total.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Skating with other people is without a doubt the only way to get better. Even just sharing one deck between three people is amazing. This has been a skateboarding PSA.

My friend candidly filmed me while we were reminiscing about high school and bullshitting and he actually got a decent line of me doing nose manual > shove it followed by a varial flip. Boo yah.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Maybe later tonight after I'm done sandpapering my shoe.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I lied, he only got the nose manual > shove followed by another weak shove.

*rides away on Nash board*

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

This kind of segues to something that I've wanted to bring up regarding footage. It seems documenting your skateboarding is kind of a generational thing. As an old man skater (34) when I was coming up it wasn't that easy to record and edit footage so it was not that common. My old man stance on the issue is that it takes away time from actually enjoying skating and makes things more stressful. Also it seems a bit vain. Of course if someone records me doing something I'm interested in seeing it, it's just that I wouldn't go out of my way to document things with a camera.

I'm just going to buy a Flip and put it on a gorilla pod. When you're skating by yourself you can just set up a camera at a spot and skate without bothering it. Then you cut down the footage later and look at what looked good and what looked Totally Whack.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Does anyone know how much of a height difference there is between Venture Highs and Lows?

DEO3 posted:

My wife and I had our first child and we needed to move to a smaller town where we could afford a house. I'm twenty-five pounds heavier, have a lawn to mow, bills to pay, and no friends. I'm a grown up I guess, and skateboarding was just something I did when I was a kid, in another town - in another life.

Aside from having a family, this sounds loving Awful. Go skating every day.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 26, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I sincerely doubt anyone actually tried to spit on him.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Where the gently caress do you guys live that people can't loving Chill Out?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

RobotEmpire posted:

Honestly I've tried stationary a few times and I was millimeters from breaking every bone from my fingertips to my shoulders. The board just flies out from under me when I try to pop.

When I try to ollie on a grassy surface I do the motion alright but I'm kind of nervous about trying a rolling ollie.

I'd be more nervous about doing an ollie standing still because of what you've already experienced: with no forward momentum the board is just going to skate backwards when you try to kick it.

Just roll a little bit. You don't have to be flying real fast, you just need some forward motion.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Ollies are, like everything in skating, muscle memory. It'll just take you a month of solid skating until you can do them with any sort of competence and maybe five more months until you're able to rely on them to get you up and over things with any sort of regularity. Keep skating.

I'm building a second deck so I can have an extra around when friends visit without a deck. Nothing sucks worse than having to share a loving skateboard.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Marginal Way is going to be so sick when this poo poo is done. Hello summer.

Also, this new mural is loving Bad rear end:

SKATING

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Whalley posted:

Today I intentionally did a manual without falling over for about a meter. It was my first ever. How the poo poo do people ollie or flip into these, poo poo is crazy :psyduck:

Good way to practice being able to ollie into a manual is to just run up, jump on your deck and land doing a manual. That's how I learned ollie > nose manuals.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

RobotEmpire posted:

Where's a good reliable cheap online place to get a decent pair of skate shoes? I'm burning through my stock of adidas pretty quickly.

Nordstrom Rack has cheap skate shoes all the time. It's a gold mine of 30 dollar shoes.

Edit: OH ONLINE! I dunno, maybe zappos?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...p=12,55.13,,0,5

Right there underneath the freeway. It's the only place you can skate when it's raining that doesn't cost money.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I read that story all prepared to get weepy about his terrible accident and then he proceeded to describe the most retarded chain of events ever transpired. Why would you let your dog drag you on a skateboard at full tilt through an area with intersections and other traffic? That is something a moron would do, even if that moron was wearing a helmet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Mest0r posted:

Of course there are times where helmets don't help you at all:

:nms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezJjMqQithw :nms:

Watch as some kid gets stabbed in the crotch by his splintering board at my old high school! It's not really graphic but it'll probably keep you off your board for a few days.

That is the loving gnarliest thing in the world. loving christ that would be so loving awful.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

There's always this weird bizarro turn that this thread takes when the longboarders start getting all revved up.

The idea of wearing custom made riding leathers in order to skateboard bends my mind in ways that do not feel right.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That is not something I ever plan to do on a skateboard. It looks pretty fun and those outfits look ridiculous. That one dude's helmet looks like it's from Spaceballs.

I just want to talk about ledges and hips. Mannies and flips. Swishers and kicks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It also produces hilarious poo poo like

Probably (most likely) fake but I've seen weirder poo poo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Can I get a quick opinion on my first skateboard? I've been loving around on my friend's for the last week or so and enjoying it way too much (despite my newfound abrasions and injuries).

In the used market, I'm looking at this or this, and this is nice and cheap for new but I know nothing about the components.

I tried stopping by my local skateshop but they were much more expensive, even for blanks. :(

I wouldn't buy a used skateboard on ebay. You're just asking to get a piece of poo poo with busted bearings.

After you pay shipping it's going to be 55-60 bucks anyway so you might as well just spend 80-90 on a complete from blankdecks or skate.ly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The way you feel the first time you land a three flip is like the first time you ollied a three-stair. I think it's because it feels really fuckin pro to land something that involves the board spinning 360 degrees and flipping around at the same time.

Seriously keep at it and remember:

1) Set up just like you would a varial flip.
2) Scoop the gently caress out of it with your back foot.
3) Stay on top of the board. If you don't jump high enough and move with it, it's just going to fly out from under you (like with any trick I suppose).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sirkus posted:

If you set up like a varial flip (back foot square and middle of the tail, like a pop-shuv) you're going going to need a lot more scoop to make the board spin, making your job harder. What I do is have my back foot toes hang off the toe side of the tail a little bit, this makes the scoop a lot easier. Check the Berrics Trickpedia it should give you a good sense of how your feet should be positioned.

I guess I did start out doing it that way too (with my toes creeping over the edge of the tail) but mostly what I mean by "set up like you would a varial flip" is that you shouldn't put your front foot any further back on the deck than you would while doing a varial flip. I used to try doing them with my feet really close together and that does make it spin like crazy but you have no real chance of having it land underneath you.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That's sort of the best/worst thing about skating. You often end up skating parks with people that are half your age and that's cool but you're hanging out with children and a lot of people think that is not very cool. And sorta creepy.

And those kids probably had at least a bowl on them.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Basically the way it works at this one skate park I go to in Seattle (Greenlake): everyone is baked and everyone goes into the woods to get more baked. You don't ever have to be not baked at this place.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Weekdays in the morning are bomb until, inexplicably, a bunch of kids show up. I think they're home-schooled.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

TheJetCityFix posted:

I usually just skate around actual Greenlake. It's a decent workout and it's fun people watching. I really wish I had the confidence to bowl skate. I'm 30 and afraid of breaking myself, haha.

You could learn by just pushing around in the bowls until you get good enough to drop in. Even when the park is packed you can usually count on one of the two bowls being completely empty.