Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!
God drat Jamie Foy is so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
I gotta wonder how many times you can even practice that without destroying yourself.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
I never really thought about The Prestige in those terms but it really can be used as a stand-in for any extreme pursuit of perfection of performance. Gotta watch that movie again if only for Bowie.

It's getting wet and dark and cold here again and I'm sort of mad that I squandered the dry weather not skating. I'm going to do my yearly regression where I skate in place for five months and convince myself that I'm good at kick flips and then crack my collarbone in the late summer.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
That's some Burgess Meredith poo poo right there

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Nobody who ever truly lived died with shoes on their feet

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
meanwhile in portland

https://twitter.com/luistheleftist/status/1339352486784593920?s=20

edit: apparently this was actually Ohio and it was 7 months ago

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
That board looks fun as gently caress. Nice.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
I mean, do what you want. My brother hasn't skated since he was 8 and he buys decks as art pieces when something cool comes along.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
You can still skate after you have kids. It's just different.

e: i can't get it to do an inline mp4 so whatever

https://i.imgur.com/4mRuRRc.mp4

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 25, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
When I'm really pumping for speed, my plant foot isn't even doing much but making the board stay straight. Like I kinda hop in the air while i get my kick foot going and then push down with both feet at the same time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
I did a single kick flip today when I saw it stopped raining. Stay strong.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can someone else post a video of them doing a lovely kick flip so it's not just me.

https://i.imgur.com/grMAP6o.mp4

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation

Boredumb posted:

That's a heelflip

God DAMMIT.

Actually I won't even post a video of me doing a kick flip because I'm so bad at them. Like it's technically right but nobody wants to see that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation

WildZeo posted:

I started skating again at the beginning of the first lockdown here in the UK, when the gyms shut and I couldn't do powerlifting anymore. I'm still super heavy (280-ish pounds) but I'm getting pretty confident again. Super stoked to get my tre-flips back after a 20 year break. Took me a while to get them on this bank.

https://i.imgur.com/LIr5SUg.mp4

Still can't do Heelflips though.

Nice. That's a legit full rotation three flip.

Weather is getting good so let's all get some footage of our best slow motion ankle rolls.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
I just remembered that he died. gently caress.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
TIL Tony Hawk's middle name is Frank.

Also, that Evisen video rips.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation

Lmao the security guard blocking the shot

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
I skated for ten minutes yesterday and my right knee hurts so fuckin bad today. gently caress.

Oh wait I also definitely tried to do a 360 spin layup yesterday too. Could've been it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation

Eh, I'll just get the NFT.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Working on my kick flips

https://i.imgur.com/cP53kza.mp4

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
My older son got it for his birthday. It's called a "kickflipper" and it's like a carpet skateboard to help them learn pushing and kick turns.

E: after watching my son use it all morning, he's really into those super deep Jay Adams carves and I just hope that's where the similarities stop.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 25, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
A little wheel bite is okay. Typically my decks get a groove where each wheel hits the deck for a deep turn.

You can also use it to help with power slides since it will lock in more friction but there's a point where it fucks you.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
I got a wide deck with riser pads just because I'm old and my ankles suck but it's bizarre and I can't actually use it.

I think if I just take the risers off it'll be okay but if you suddenly have an extra 1/4" added to the fulcrum of your pop it is gonna majorly gently caress with your ollie.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
That round plantar grind near the end is some video game poo poo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
https://v.redd.it/5xarsbxxb2y61

Lmao I've never seen this trick before

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Aw the little kid he stops to dap with. He's a cool dude.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
It's a weird editing strategy to front load your 35 minute skate video with constant slams but I respect it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Thats a great vid. Although I think in the unlikely event I need to put on a skate vid for someone who's new to it all I'm always gonna go for Yeah Right!

https://youtu.be/WGYGhAPlsVM

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
I didn't realize his board is so wide. Jesus that's a fat stick.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
You're gonna want a nutcracker special then. You can only pay via credit card though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
I'm not familiar with the brand but it looks like the right thing for someone starting out.

Usually when dealing with unfamiliar branded completes, the weak point is going to be the bearings being poo poo but you can easily replace those if they end up crapping out on you.

Other than that, it's got metal trucks with bushings so it's not like you bought a Nash or anything. I'm sure it'll be a blast.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation

jiggerypokery posted:

Been skating again for a week or so now for an hour or two a day. I have ollies, shuv-its down (like 90%) pop shuv its at about 30-40%.

I've been doing 50-100 attempted kickflips a day. I have the flick down in two different foot positions but cannot keep my back foot over the board to land it. I can land the front foot most of the time but it's like I pop the board up and instantly put my back foot down on the ground.

I can land them a bunch when I hold onto something to help me jump but I feel like I'm getting no where actually landing one.

Any ideas how to progress?

Are you jumping with both feet or leaning back and landing back foot first?

I always think about it in discrete steps that have to happen in order for the board to get some lift:

1) pop the tail and make sure it hits the pavement

2) slide front foot up the deck while making sure my back foot gets the heck out of the way (jump!)

3) flick front foot so it too gets the heck out of the way so the deck can rotate

4) bring legs back in so they're over the deck

I kind of think about it like my legs need to go out then back in like a jumping Jack. It's why the insides of your thighs should burn after trying it for hours.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
I wear a helmet when I skate because my kids point out hypocrisy at every opportunity and I also can't afford to get a concussion or go into a coma.

I like that Andy Anderson always wears one.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
https://twitter.com/whitefeeIings/status/1413742233921069060?s=20

This is the crossover content I crave

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Two tricks followed by "I'm too tired..." feels too real right now.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Like, lately the only things that make me smile or happy in any way are Tim Robinson generated content or skateboarding content. Everything else can gently caress off.

This is everything I need and love though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
I like his origin story of being a city worker who couldn't be seen at the skate park being a typical shithead teen skater.

He's the helmeted superhero we need and deserve.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
They also had a guy on their payroll who was grooming kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Did Andy do a no comply