Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

A longboard might not be quite right for me, my current thinking is a fat cruiser might be ideal, I've got size 13 shoes and a 7.75-8 feels a bit tight.

As someone also with size 13 shoes you for sure need a bigger deck. I usually ride anywhere from 8.5 - 8.75 depending on whats available. Still able to do flip tricks and cruise comfortably. If you are looking to just cruise go wide as hell who cares. 7.75 is tiny for big feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Thanks for posting, that was an insane part

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

sleppy posted:

One of my favorite fancy lads has a cool new video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFPQ57l0Dg

Like 90% of this video is original tricks (original to me at least). That hinge board was wild.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Tenterhooks posted:

Worth sharing here: Mark Suciu's long-awaited Verso part:

Also, a A Serious Review of Mark Suciu's Serious "Verso" which goes into a lot of detail about some of the fairly intense thought Suciu put into the trick selection and edit. There's been lots of debate as to whether this is a masterpiece or an over-worked folly but he's #1 SOTY contender regardless.

He has a great sort of no pop flick ollie going out of tricks that is really interesting. Very grippy

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

drat so much good stuff in there, that ender though wow

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

UFOTacoMan posted:

I saw a dude break his ankle one time, well a few times, but this one time the guy sat on his ankle as he slid down a transition bail. He straightens his leg out to look at it and at first glance it was just like his shoe partially came off, but that was just his ankle hanging. He then just loving banged it a few times on the flat to try to make it better, then stood up walked a step or two and fell down again.

the whole time I was thinking: people don't dislocate ankles, that doesn't happen...but is it happening right now? did he just fix hi ankle???

I have absolutely put dislocated fingers back in (paying for it now with constant hand pain 20 years later). Getting old sucks

When I was young and a better skater I was practicing backside grinds on a ledge, kind of fell on my front foot. I thought I rolled my ankle since it started to swell but I wasnt sure. Skated for a bit longer, then I rode a bike home since it was hard to put pressure down. My foot swelled up and 3 days later I realized I broke my ankle/foot (12 bones broken/shattered).

In my experience of breaking a ton of bones, rolling an ankle or popping a joint hurt way worse than breaking a bone.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Always loved skating the ditches / water ways in New Mexico, they were huge. Falling hurt since it was that rough concrete, it would shred your clothes/skin

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

A jumpsuit seems restricting to me. My 90's uniform was vans, dickies and a tshirt or hoodie.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

drat that hurts to read, he was always entertaining to read and listen to

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Interested to see what they do for Skate. Hopefully its good.

I've been playing a lot of Session which has been a lot of fun.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This is gonna sound condescending but most people and places I checked with suggested the only real thing to do is learn how to fall properly and try to always fall forwards, learn how to do backwards rolls or ninja rolls and tuck your limbs in when you take a spill. Sorry about your wrists, that sucks bad.

I've broken many bones skating (foot, hands, arm, tailbone), and specifically my wrist falling backwards. Learning to fall properly saved me so much more pain, it's 100% the best thing to do. Fighting your instincts is difficult, learning to lean into your instincts to brace yourself and sort of rolling into a fall is really valuable.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

8.5 because I have big feet, 7.5 is way too small for me

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They should remake the prestige but instead of continually killing himself to do a magic trick he's making a David Gonzales part

:hellyeah:

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I went to the board shop today pretty much ready to buy the arbor mission. Just to be sure I lined it up with the landyachtz dinghy and arbor pilsner, and decided it was the best feeling, and all my research said it would be the most stable and easy to learn on of the three. So I was doing my last little bit of thinking too drat much about it while the gawky teenage sales kid yammered at me when I saw this in the corner for about $25 less and a good bit more goon-approved.

It’s 8.75 and about 3” longer wheelbase than the dinghy and pilsner. The hardest decision was between this graphic and the light pink/purple/teal. Off to go fall over in a parking lot in the dark.

Great choice, that thing looks fun. Time to learn slappys

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

UFOTacoMan posted:

I've not watched this yet but I got to post it

DISCUSSING SKATEBOARDING WITH FILMMAKER WERNER HERZOG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQLInlnfWUc

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2021/...Clo1zV6NBv7IXVE

The collab we didn't know we needed. Thank you this was great

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Can someone else post a video of them doing a lovely kick flip so it's not just me.

That's a heelflip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Long Beach pro skateboarder Terry Kennedy charged with murder
https://www.presstelegram.com/2021/08/04/long-beach-pro-skateboarder-terry-kennedy-charged-with-murder/

quote:

Terry Kennedy 36, of Long Beach, California, was ordered held without bail while he hires an attorney. The hearing is scheduled to resume Monday, the DuPage County State’s Attorney’s Office said.

Prosecutors said Kennedy punched Josiah Kassahun, 23 of Wheaton, in the head and kicked him in the torso at an Oakbrook Terrace hotel on July 27. Kassahun died from his injuries over the weekend. An autopsy found he died of blunt force injuries to his head.