Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Vapid 27 posted:

Well, I turn 30 in a little over a month. I loved skating. I say loved because every doctor I've been to have checked out my kness and back, and both are shot. I had to start physical therapy on my back.

God, talk about feeling old.

But this is a hard one to let go of :(

I don't live near a beach, so can anyone recommend a near replacement for the price and fun levels that skating has brought me these years? Adult hockey is all I can think of (low contact league), but that is quite expensive.

:( sorry to hear that man.

Have you had a lot of injuries over the years? Your post makes me worried because I turn 26 this year, have been skating for 13 years, but I feel fine and the only major injury I've had was a broken ankle maybe about 3-4 years ago.

But on the other hand, I've skated with a guy here in Austin who is in his early 60s and he's still killing it so there is still hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

donJonSwan posted:

Don't buy wheels for the picture on them, you'll be really sad after about 6 hours of skating around when it's all scratched off.

From my experience, all company wheels are generic and work well. I'd rather skate Bones or Spitfires, but whatevers.

Rainskates and Venom both make better wheels that cost a little more scratch.

Doesn't everybody flip the graphic inwards on new wheels anyway?

I don't like riding Spitfires because they tend to flatspot pretty easily, especially when doing lipslides or bluntslides on ledges or speed checks. I usually just buy whatever blank white wheels are at the shop or that my friends hook me up with.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

Avocados posted:

Are there some decent starter videos/guides out there? A friend and I found some decent skateboards and figure we'd like to try skateboarding out. We've been practicing on them for a few days now, and we haven't fallen too much yet.

There are some nice Plan B trick tip videos that go from Basics -> Intermediate tricks on youtube that are legit. If you do a search for PJ Ladd/Paul Rodriguez/Ryan Sheckler Plan B trick tips it should come up. Pj ladd handles the flip tricks, PRod handles grinds/slides, and Sheckler handles transition.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

I really liked Pretty Sweet. Girl/Girl-related videos aren't always the most envelope pushing skating-wise, but they have so much fun with what they do and it's really infectious.

Wait a second, what? Girl/Choco/Lakai riders tend to be the main dudes that make everyone try to copy their tricks/type of skating they're doing, i.e. Kostons tre flip noseblunt in Yeah Right, everyone starts doing them. Fully Flared, everyone starts ledge dancing, etc.

edit: Not to mention Mouse as a whole

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

Sorry, I worded that really poorly. They actually do push the envelope considerably. What I was trying to get at: after Girl guys set the bar, I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that those who copy are often "bigger" in terms of scale/danger/some other quantifiers. You're totally right though. Can't deny Girl-family's influence. We also only get a Cool Ty Movie every 4-5 years :(

Oh ok gotcha. I would agree with that.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

karphead posted:

was it because this was switch that made it so exceptional? i mean people are flipping crazy poo poo into rails these days so I didn't get why this was the closer. not that it isn't loving awesome...

It's because sw tre flip nosegrind has never been done down a handrail before and it's one of the last "flip in" tricks that is NBD on a handrail.

Plus it's kind of an extension of the sw shove it nosegrind that Guy had for a cover on an issue of Transworld way back.

@cadfael-The guy you're talking about with the 2nd to last part is Sean Malto. During the premiere that I went to the crowd was pretty much silent from boredom except for his last trick. I tend to agree with them. He's "good" but his skating doesn't excite me.

More importantly, DGK video is premiering on the 12th and I'm really excited for that. Hopefully Marcus McBride has a full part and I've been fiending for more Desarmo, Kalis, and Stevie footage especially. I also think Kelann Dadd will have a standout part that will make me feel like I'm in the 90s again while he skates wearing gold chains and rings. All he needs is a line where he checks his pager midway through.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
Any commentary on the DGK video Parental Advisory? Like most skate vids with skits, the skits were terrible except for the one with the 7 year old kid tripping on acid/X, but the skating was top notch. I think it's right up there with Pretty Sweet and the music for most of the parts is a lot better than Pretty Sweet as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I got much softer/larger wheels. Currently I'm running 65mm 80a ones with really big contact patches, and it's so much easier going over cracks. I also have 1/2 inch risers (don't hit) under mid trucks, I don't think I could get away with having none at all, but I might consider 1/8 inch ones. I love my big toddler wheels.

I'm considering an 8-inch deck. What are some interesting brands to consider next time I go to the skate shop? I love deranged Toy Machine style art. Currently this is in my list of possibles, though I'm not sure how available it will be. Could I ask them to order it for me?

Your local shop should have a couple in. My shop(s) tend to have 2-3 of those graphics at a time. And if they don't have it in, they should be able to order it for you, although it may not come in for a while depending on how often they get boxes from companies and your timing. If you're not a regular at the shop, they may ask you to put a few bucks down for it to make sure they don't get stuck with a board that nobody comes back for.