Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006
Beginning the journey as I enter the void

leica posted:

Last I heard the bowls got filled in with dirt and gravel and it's a lawn and garden store now. What a loving shame, it really pains me. Apparently no one could afford the liability to keep it open, if I knew it was for sale I would have bought it and lived there rather than let some dickweed fill the bowls and sell fertilizer out of it. :argh:

R.I.P Clover Bowl

:cry:

There is an article and photos in the Thrasher photo issue about the park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

leica posted:

Chris Miller maybe? Could be just an actor though, I've never seen a fat skater, even an old school skater.

Tim Gavin is pretty fat now

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

mike12345 posted:

Any way to fix this? Duct tape? Glue (if so, what kind of glue)?

don't worry about it. it will not really affect anything

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

here's a site that has them http://www.decomposedsk8.com/

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

board width is just up to your preference. i wear the same size shoe and have a 8.162 deck. I was using a 7.5 and was having trouble with my heels coming off.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

zeroordie posted:

On the whole I was pretty disappointed in the video. It just doesn't stand up in a post Fully Flared world.

I think I liked that free Adidas video Diagonal more, actually. Did any of you see that? I found a copy online, I dont think its :filez: because it was a video they gave out for free at skateshops? It was showcasing their European team and had a really good montage of US dudes + a Busenitz part, too.

You were able to download it from their site so it's not :filez:. I haven't seen Extremely Sorry yet but felt Fully Flared was boring (too much hype). I haven't really liked any newer videos except for Right Foot Forward, Proof, and Baker has a Deathwish: Summer Tour 2008. I would like to see Extremely Sorry to see if it lives up to the hype or falls flat.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

foastwab posted:

So I had a free afternoon today, so I went and rolled around at local park today. I decided I might as well go for some tricks because I don't need my body for anything, and I ended up ollieing down a 5 stair.

I felt really cool. :smug:

Also, what decks are you guys riding right now? This is what I'm on:

I love looking at decks. Heh.

currently riding this:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Zizzyx posted:

Went to the skate shop to pick up some better bearings for my crappy wheels and ended up buying some huge soft wheels to go with them, it's really nice, being able to coast for a block or two. I know I'm going to have a pretty tough time doing any street skating with them though, they're heavy!

e: 62mm! starting to think I should have possibly picked out a smaller set, but I figure they'll wear down soon enough.

wheels don't wear down in size. even if they are soft.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Some "older" videos:
Blind - Video Days
Birdhouse - The End
Girl - Mouse
Baker - 2g
Zero - Thrill of It All
Toy Machine - Welcome to Hell

Newer ones:
Baker has a Deathwish: Summer Tour 2008
Flip - Extremely Sorry
Transworld: Right Foot Forward
Nike SB - Debacle

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Finally got my signed deck hung up.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

mix.lunar posted:

I've always ordered stuff out of CCS. http://shop.ccs.com/ plus, if you order all your poo poo there, free shipping right now. (I can guarantee that if you order the hardware they're recommending it'll be free shipping with that code on the front page.)

Don't buy stuff from CCS. That company is run by a bunch of business men who have no interest in the support of skateboarding and are only out to make money. If you have a local shop, buy stuff from there. If not than find a skateshop that has a website to purchase from.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

it was alright, nothing too mind-blowing.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

donJonSwan posted:

I'm guessing this was a troll.

Shane's part was incredible, and I think the Berrics has done something pretty important by releasing the content for a reasonable price - with the proceeds helping a young dude kick-start his professional career.

no it wasn't. i watched it and it wasn't as great as they were hyping it up to be.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I'm really big on the skaters from Deathwish, Baker, Anti-hero, Girl, and Creature. A lot of street and bowl skating. There's some other skaters I like not affiliated with any of those like: Joey Brezinski, Justin Brock, Chris Cole, and Mark Gonzales.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I guess were I live is an exception cause I haven't seen anyone riding a longboard since high-school.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Sirkus posted:

The skate and creates this year have been pretty good.

http://skateboarding.transworld.net/skate-and-create/

I really liked etnies and the Lakai one (this leaked early, it's somewhere on the interweb).

not really considering the mag came out the 19th

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Stay Gold came out today, everybody needs to watch it.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

GhostGuy posted:

Anyone have any tips for riding switch? I'm regular foot, and I'd really like to learn to ride goofy too.
I'm slowly slowly getting better at it. I can ride straight and do slight leaning turns, but I can't push for poo poo. I can "kind of" push mongo, but if I try to push the right way, my body just can't figure out how to balance.
I'd eventually like to be able to surf goofy so I can get some frontside lefts, but that'll probably take a while...

just takes practice. when i skated when i was younger i pushed mongo since then taught myself to push regular so i have no problems pushing either way.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I have been out of the skate scene since the early 90's. I think my last board I bought was either a Zorlac Pushead Metallica or a Santa Cruz Street Creeper. Now I have a 10 year old boy that wants to get into skating and I have a couple of questions.

- Is 10 too young for him to get a serious board? I didn't get into skating until I was 14 or so, but he keeps asking me for a serious outfit.

- He is tall for his age and he already wears a size 9 shoe. What size board should I go with?

I was planning to go with the stuff I know from my youth (Independent Trucks and Spitfire wheels), but what should I be looking for in terms of getting a decent deck? I did showed him that Heroin deck on here and he went crazy over the design.

Any other information I should know before I help him buy his first serious deck?

He isn't too young to start, there really is no starting age. Go to an actual skateshop and setup a board for him, that would be the most helpful.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Local shop finally got in the decks I designed

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Shhhhhh...watch David Gonzalez.

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/david-gonzalez-possessed-to-skate/

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Baker Skateboards premiered their new video, Bake and Destroy, last Saturday and ended up having swat called in because of the crowd.

Pics from the night:
http://bakerskateboards.com/2012/10/bake-and-destroy-premier-hollywood/

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Thrasher's 2012 Skate of the Year is...

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/thrasher-magazines-2012-skater-of-the-year/

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Have there been any good video releases since "Pretty Sweet"?

The Deathwish video is coming out on the 22nd.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

It's good that Ishod won. If Nygah won, thrasher would of lost respect. Although if anyone should of got it this year should of been Jim Greco.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I haven't skated in two years since I broke my wrist. But I've been missing skating, just have to learn how to be more careful.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Jay Adams passed away today.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

spwrozek posted:

I was at the park on Sunday and this kid about ten was scootering around. He was wearing a run DMC shirt. I was just imagining this little white kid listening to run DMC and has to laugh.

I need to get a helmet (and some balls) and drop into some mini ramps, then bowls. I haven't in 12 years and I am so scared. Flip tricks just make my shins hurt so I need some more options.

I never wore a helmet and I've hit my head in a cement bowl

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Have any of you cool dudes ever rupture a disc in your back? I ruptured L4-L5 recently. I'm hopefully going to avoid surgery. I'll save you the short story of details. I'm just wondering if there's any cool dude skaters here who have navigated through a similar injury and made it back to the board.

John Cardiel

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Start a long board thread. Bunch of hipsters

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Longboarders are not skaters.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah let's talk about skateboard celebrities like a bunch of wifey bitches instead get the gently caress out of here nobody gives a gently caress

How about actual skating and not some kids who ride a long board around their college...

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Longboarding isn't skating unless you're doing down hill. That person is probably breaking trucks cause he keeps picking up his board to go across cross walks and then putting it down again. Jaws ollied down 25 stairs and didn't break his trucks.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Greenplastic posted:

Isn't there a rollerblading-thread - sorry, I mean froot boots - that you can poo poo your pants in instead of this one

Wow you tried to do a thing, but you failed.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

People post good skate videos and this thread gets over run with long board hipsters.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Long board riders can't do any tricks

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Downhill is also awesome, here is a video of a guy i know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pua0Rl1QhZw

Long boards are good for this. Not these random hipsters using them to go to their next class.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Horizontal Tree posted:

Wow, he's riding loving Kahas. I didn't think Kahalani's were still around. I really, really wanted a set of those back in the day.

Guess what angry street skater, your sport was grown out of something that was a shitload closer to longboarding and downhill than what people like you consider "real skating" these days. And all your posts prove are that you're a closed-minded rear end in a top hat in a community and sport that in my experience is the exact opposite. I used to street skate too, when I was a teenager. I was bad at it and could only do the basics, and I got around to and from school and various spots on a longboard. Then I started riding downhill and sliding and getting better at that side of skating and fell in love with it. Then I built a slalom board because why the gently caress not? There's no slalom riding or racing here and I didn't have cones or anything but why should I care, they're fun as hell to ride. How dare people do something DIFFERENT in the sport!?

Are you mad at your dad or something?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Are there any famous long boarders? Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

loving stalker