Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I got a hand me down set of SWISS BONES!!!!! today. They were pretty crummy but drat, swiss!

So I decided to embark on a quest, a quest that until today has eluded me for almost a decade. Cleaning bearings.

Searching for the Bones bearing cleaner I stumbled across http://tinyurl.com/ykffwww sounded waaayyy too easy.

And it was.

Rolled around on 'em just outside, they feel good as new. Two of them were very stubborn so I just cleaned out my old China Bones and replaced them. I'm really stoked on how well it worked, if anyone is looking to clean their bearings you should check out that guide.

I now officially have a "he knows what's up" set up, indy's, swiss, spitfires, and a deluxe distribution (anti-hero) board.

Edit: Reason I'm so psyched on swiss is that they are 75$ here in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
If anyone is following HBO's How to Make it in America, they did a bit on NYC skating. Watch it for the little bits of Gino if nothing else:

http://www.hbo.com/#/how-to-make-it...aayMQIAUmYXOA==

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

mix.lunar posted:

I looked it over again just now and it's not as much a hole as I first expected but more of a deep gash. I'm guessing it was when I hosed up a really bad/hard ollie and it caught me in the same place. I still remember when it was. I have it covered now, if it isn't better in a by Monday I'll probably get it checked out, but I've had worse. The skin and poo poo I pulled off just really freaked me out. So I guess no skating for me for a week or so :(

Comes with the territory, my shins are ugly as sin.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
A million youtube videos by some kids should be enough to tell you why you're landing 270. U NEED MOAR SCOOP!

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

I got a good deal on some Studio decks (local company in Montreal) that I couldn't pass on. Now every time I get mad at my board I threaten to switch it up prematurely. It is oh-so-tempting despite the fact that the Skate Mental is essentially brand new.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
You don't need to recreate EMB as a whole, or EMB for that matter. I think what Shania Twain is saying is building an obstacle from an area like a bank from the Brooklyn Banks. What would be cool though is if you just made spots that are skate stopped in your town or spots that are 'almost spots' and made them spots at your park.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
It's no fun when you have to tick tack to get around a corner. Looks a lot cooler and feels a lot better when ya just lean into it. Loose trucks and fast carves!

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Trucks: Independents or Thunder
Wheels: Spitfire or Spitfire
Bearings: Any Bones (Reds, Swiss, whatever)

For a deck, you are paying way too much for what appears to be something a little better than a Walmart board.

quote:

perfect competition shape and construction for all terrains.

Seriously....

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Maybe it's placebo, but I definitely find that my shop decks don't feel the same as a deluxe board. If I'm riding what I THINK is the best stuff and I don't land poo poo I don't have anything to blame but myself, and that's worth it for me. Or you know, maybe it does actually make a difference, because decks and trucks all feel different for me.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Mest0r posted:

Parts make some kind of difference initially, when you get different parts from different brands (decks and trucks especially), riding around / doing tricks might feel a little bit different. However you'll adjust to it pretty fast, you'll get used to whatever parts as long as you give yourself enough time. Don't think if you ride Girl decks you'll be able to do tre flips better than if you were riding blanks, it's not the skateboard that makes you good.

For reference, here's Guy Mariano on a Crail Board :v::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvSD7ZX1lx0

E: Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyh-N0TVEy4

Sure, but I don't ride Girl boards because in my experience the shape is flat and the wood feels cheap.

I recently picked up a Skate Mental (if you look a few pages back you'll find her!) and like my other crailtap boards she is now gone after 3 weeks of skating. I don't even break boards that often.

To me, it's mostly about shape, not all boards are the same shape!

Anyways it was 25 degrees in Montreal last weekend and my friend wallie'd this barrier into a closed off downhill road. The victory dance powerslides were glorious, I'll post up the footage of it soon.

Sirkus fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 10, 2010

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Nah I didn't take the picture, I was in the lineup! Never got my ollie over the barrier... but I'll be back Dube, I'll be back...

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
8.5" is fun to carve bowls with. There isn't any right or wrong board size, just whatever feels right.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

gently caress the threads on one of my trucks are entirely hosed up. I don't want to have to buy a tool just to fix the threads... might as well just get new trucks.

Your local shop should have a re-threader that you can use.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I've had bikers try and spit on me when I've skated on the bike path.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

I sincerely doubt anyone actually tried to spit on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3jdulBUd4

Seriously. I skated by, he stopped turned around and tried to spit on me. The girl behind me on her bike caught up to me at the light and tripped out at how hosed it was.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Speaking of ollie's, my friend took this photo of me last weekend. Hope you stick with it RobotEmpire!

Click here for the full 1019x676 image.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

1) Set up just like you would a varial flip.

If you set up like a varial flip (back foot square and middle of the tail, like a pop-shuv) you're going going to need a lot more scoop to make the board spin, making your job harder. What I do is have my back foot toes hang off the toe side of the tail a little bit, this makes the scoop a lot easier. Check the Berrics Trickpedia it should give you a good sense of how your feet should be positioned.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I was on a skateboarding trip recently with my friends. We hit up a couple of parks in different towns but the main attraction was our friends barn out in the country. During our 3 day stay there we saw everything from beautiful sun to snow, in May :canada:.

Orisue Clothing hooked us up with some gas money and a ton of free clothes so we decided to make them a little montage.

http://vimeo.com/12503300

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Krook3d, so psyched.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
That gap to 50-50 is rad!

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Part 2, the final part of our montage from our trip is up!

http://fyours.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/montage-part-2/

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I learned FS smith grinds today. So psyched I've been working on this trick for like 4 months. I did a bunch on mini ramp to get the feel of them and then just applied it to a rail. Next trick... feebles.

Bonelesses and bean plants in tranny are awesome.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Hosoi is still really sick! Has anyone seen Krooked Gnargnar?

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOBbmdJTLdE&feature=player_embedded

Explosions and skateboarding at about 1:20

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Dirp posted:

Nosegrinds and heelflips over a deck all day today. :c00lbert:

How did you nosegrind the deck? :c00lbert:

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

iCaPpY posted:

I'm looking into picking up my first deck and was looking for an optinion on this complete http://www.boardshop.com.au/servlet/the-5276/BLACK-LABEL-GAME-BOY/Detail

I plan on mostly using this board for commuting but will be learning tricks as I go. Apart from the wheels the rest of the kit seems fine. I'll be looking at getting some softer wheels straight away just not sure on how big I can go. Any recommendations for a suitble size?

Can't wait to start, wish I had a local shop in my area, the only one I could find was a chain surf store which sold scratched up Flip completes for $250, gently caress that.

Edit: Doesn't note the truck manufacturer which worries me.

I was just about to say; it doesn't say anything about the trucks.

It does underline select at purchasing? If you get a choice Indy 139's is a perfect fit for an 8" board.

Edit: Also you are probably ordering from an Australian site for a reason (you are in Australia), but just incase you're stateside skate.ly is a goon run shop that is pretty good!

Sirkus fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 28, 2010

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Just saw Transworld's new video Hallelujah, Bledsoe is amazing. Torey Pudwill had the last part, well deserved. The flailing arms are a little distracting but he has an insane bag of flip in flip out tricks. It's a good hard hitting videos that clocks in at about 30 minutes. Good for a before session viewing to get psyched.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Does New Orleans have a lot of empty pools?

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Going to the Montreal premiere on Sept 1, so psyched it's going to be in a theatre.

And that cover is so gnarly. What. The. gently caress.

Sirkus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 11, 2010

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Rygar posted:

Glad you guys like it. I find myself watching video after video, and I've been working on it for months. A lot of this stuff just never gets old.

It's really cool, you're getting great reception on the SLAP boards too.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

A skateboarding faux-pas! But who cares right?

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Look at what I just picked up...

The loving Future Primitive Graphic complete with Tracker trucks.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
That powell board looks awesome!

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
The skate and creates this year have been pretty good.

http://skateboarding.transworld.net/skate-and-create/

I really liked etnies and the Lakai one (this leaked early, it's somewhere on the interweb).

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Golem II posted:

not really considering the mag came out the 19th

The video came with the mag?

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HURzHtw52Dg&feature=player_embedded

Dylan Reider has that pretty boy look with the man pop geez. It's not the original audio in the video by the way.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Keep skating roastpork! I moved to Montreal last year without knowing anyone and now I have a pretty solid crew of guys to go skating with.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Mest0r posted:

I went back and watched a few parts today after watching the whole video yesterday and each individual part is pretty killer, it's just when it's all strung together with similar music the video in its entirety bored me so much that I wanted to turn it off half way through. Also, even though I was disappointed with how short Jerry Hsu's part was, I think all his tricks, with the exception of one, were all switch.

That part was amazing! He was injured for a lot of the time I heard. I watched the premiere in a movie theatre with a 12 pack. It was pretty awesome, made me want to skate after.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Mugmoor posted:

Man I don't know what I'm gonna do once the snow hits. I guess Snowboard but I can't do that any drat time I want to like I can with longboarding :(. What do you guys usually end up doing?

Learn to skate a bowl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Whalley posted:

I love Mystery decks. They're so loving slick.

Really? I skated a Mystery deck and absolutely hated it. The pop didn't last and the shape was weird... it felt really flat. The white dip bugged me a lot too. Tom Asta is a beast though, switch heel LOVE is insane. I'm glad they are ditching the black/white gimmick and doing colour stuff now. Also... this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKSRB3nF1Bc