Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

androo posted:

drat, that's actually a realistic way that his character arc could have gone in 1-2 more seasons and makes the whole thing super creepy.

Literally the only thing I thought when I read the story. Jesus, what a bizarre world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
I'm currently on S5E10 of my re-watch, and figured I'd regurgitate one of my favorite Billings quotes.

Pretty loopy... maybe that's why they call it lupus.

A.C. Phillips: *blank stare*

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Me and the gf have been watching the complete series on-and-off for about a year, and binged through all of season 7 yesterday.

I have never hated any character in anything as much as I hate Vic Mackey. All the way through the series but especially in the penultimate episode during the confession scene, and his demeanour around an oblivious Ronnie.

Man, that finale. It's just completely impossible to overstate how good it is, I don't think I could ever be prepared for it.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

Adrianics posted:

Man, that finale. It's just completely impossible to overstate how good it is, I don't think I could ever be prepared for it.

Its definitely one of the best finales I've seen. Ronnie screaming "What about the team Vic?!" is like a punch to the gut every time. Especially after the scene with Kavanaugh where he says Ronnie's too intelligent to slip-up, but the teams going to bring him down by making the mistakes he'd be too smart to make. Also gently caress Vic, what a bastard.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

TryAgainBragg posted:

Its definitely one of the best finales I've seen. Ronnie screaming "What about the team Vic?!" is like a punch to the gut every time. Especially after the scene with Kavanaugh where he says Ronnie's too intelligent to slip-up, but the teams going to bring him down by making the mistakes he'd be too smart to make. Also gently caress Vic, what a bastard.

(Finale) loving Ronnie, man. That just broke my heart. He was always the most intelligent, pragmatic and forward-thinking member of the strike team but his dedication to the Cult of Vic meant that he kept trusting Mackey despite his well-honed instincts screaming at him that it was time to bail. The fact that he's the only member of the team to actually be charged with their crimes, meaning that he's completely hosed as the system will want to take their anger and frustrations with Vic out on him, despite doing the least wrong is heart-wrenching. Plus he'll be thrown in jail with Mitchell, the Armenians he helped Vic screw over, and everyone else in jail because of the Strike team. He's completely hosed :smith:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I always felt a degree of empathy for Ronnie but he showed that he was just as down to ride the corruption bullshit train as the rest of the team. He coldly iced that dude in the motel room early in the 7th season. I had the same goofy rooting favor for him but I don't really feel all too bad for him. He's a bad dude like the rest.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

soggybagel posted:

I always felt a degree of empathy for Ronnie but he showed that he was just as down to ride the corruption bullshit train as the rest of the team. He coldly iced that dude in the motel room early in the 7th season. I had the same goofy rooting favor for him but I don't really feel all too bad for him. He's a bad dude like the rest.

Yeah, they were all pretty drat scummy.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Just while this is bumped to the front, is there a similar thread for Breaking Bad?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cartoon posted:

Just while this is bumped to the front, is there a similar thread for Breaking Bad?

No of course not. Nobody watches breaking bad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This thread is an enigma... It's generally a good thread about a great show. Usually, a show's thread's quality is inversely-proportionate to the quality of the show.

The Dexter and SoA threads are loving gold.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This thread is an enigma... It's generally a good thread about a great show. Usually, a show's thread's quality is inversely-proportionate to the quality of the show.

The Dexter and SoA threads are loving gold.

The Wire thread is really good. But other than that, you're absolutely right.

soggybagel posted:

True, but (finale spoilers) I don't think the sum of Ronnie's misdeeds comes even close to Vic or Shane. The reason I still empathized with him until the very end was because he was so grossly manipulated and lied to by Vic, and Vic was the one who walked away from everything with immunity (which, surely, he promptly blew shortly after the credits rolled). It's not fair! Plus, it's Ronnie. Just look at him. How can you not root for Ronnie?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Exploder posted:

The Wire thread is really good. But other than that, you're absolutely right.

True, but (finale spoilers) I don't think the sum of Ronnie's misdeeds comes even close to Vic or Shane. The reason I still empathized with him until the very end was because he was so grossly manipulated and lied to by Vic, and Vic was the one who walked away from everything with immunity (which, surely, he promptly blew shortly after the credits rolled). It's not fair! Plus, it's Ronnie. Just look at him. How can you not root for Ronnie?

I do not understand this He admitted that he was right to kill Terry, and he should have come to him. He was not manipulated into wanting to kill Shane to protect himself.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Finale Spoilers: One other thing about Ronnie. He was totally willing to let Vic kill Mara. Not cool no matter what you think of her.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

Exploder posted:

Ronnie and Lem, while more sympathetic than Vic or Shane, are still complicit in some shady poo poo. Of the two of them Lem is also the one getting mindfucked and manipulated way more than Ronnie, who's shown to be really cold in a couple different situations. I still think both are worse people because of their time with Vic, but Ronnie especially made his choices early on. Doesn't mean I don't feel for the clever bastard though, just not as much as for Lem

That 'stache was magnificent though.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I just got to the end of season 5 on the first time through. loving Shane man, loving hell.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Someone captured the feeling of the "Previously on the Shield" recaps PERFECTLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2aINQduzqM

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

ruddiger posted:

Someone captured the feeling of the "Previously on the Shield" recaps PERFECTLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2aINQduzqM

They really did use that clip way more than they had to.

SUCK IT

red19fire
May 26, 2010

TryAgainBragg posted:

Ronnie and Lem, while more sympathetic than Vic or Shane, are still complicit in some shady poo poo. Of the two of them Lem is also the one getting mindfucked and manipulated way more than Ronnie, who's shown to be really cold in a couple different situations. I still think both are worse people because of their time with Vic, but Ronnie especially made his choices early on. Doesn't mean I don't feel for the clever bastard though, just not as much as for Lem

That 'stache was magnificent though.

I like to believe that Ronnie would have been an even more corrupt version of Vic if he had never been caught. And Vic was grooming him to lead the strike team after he retired. drat that would have been cool.

And Shane's ending was incredible and completely unexpected, compounded by Vic taunting him the whole time. And intense as hell when you learn that Goggin's real-life wife committed suicide around season 4. Walton Goggins is amazing in everything on FX.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I just watched this show over the course of the last few weeks since people put it in the same league as the Wire and Breaking Bad.

I didn't know there was such a spoiler-friendly thread specific to the Shield and only the Shield around or else I'd have liveposted but here's some random thoughts

At some point in season 3 it became apparent to me that Lem was too good to live and just hoped that maybe Ronnie would make it out okay. He was so drat close.

I don't know why, but even in the seasons before he got any real character development Ronnie was always on par with Lem in terms of characters I was actively rooting for. They were both cool dudes.

The only reason I'd hesitate to put this show on BB or the Wire level is that its ensemble cast was pretty meandering. Danny's the perfect example. Wasn't she billed second throughout the series? 'i feel like nearly every story she had fizzled out. That sort of thing happened with a lot of major characters.

Forest Whitaker was really great though. They should have done a spin-off with him, Ronnie, and Anthony Anderson in prison.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm finally watching The Wire, and though I'm only in season 1 so far (almost done it), I do get the comparison between it and The Shield on how The Wire is the better show, but The Shield is more immediately entertaining. The Wire really is a complicated and slower burn of a show, whereas you have what happens just in episode 1 of The Shield. I find it hard that there'll be something in The Wire that's going to top season 5 of The Shield, but I'm looking forward to it.

Seriously, this show's 5th season is some of the best tv I've ever seen, along with season 3 of Breaking Bad. Just phenomenal. The fact that you can consider (shield season 5 spoilers) John Kavanaugh both a good and bad guy is incredible. I mean, he's morally good, but he's the antagonist, and his motives and plans become questionable, especially when it involves Vic's wife.

Anyway, I only bring up The Wire here because it gets compared to The Shield all the time, and I don't really feel like jumping into the official thread for it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Just got to the end of S5 and this is the best show, criminally underrated, as well rated as it is.

When Goggins said "I'm sorry buddy!" and his voice broke, he was killing it at that moment, amazing acting. Obviously Shane and Lem had a strained relationship at the best of times but they still loved each other in a stupid Strike Team way. He really sold that crushing grief and sense he made an irreversible mistake.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 22, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What gets me is how happy Lem is when Shane gives him that sandwich, and then the crushing look of terror and confusion right before the grenade goes off.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Just got to the end of S5 and this is the best show, criminally underrated, as well rated as it is.

When Goggins said "I'm sorry buddy!" and his voice broke, he was killing it at that moment, amazing acting. Obviously Shane and Lem had a strained relationship at the best of times but they still loved each other in a stupid Strike Team way. He really sold that crushing grief and sense he made an irreversible mistake.

If only they dug coal together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

If only they dug coal together

No semi-happy endings with this show!

I'm currently in season 1 of my annual spring re-watch of The Shield. After just finishing Justified, it's apparent to me now that Walton Goggins is one of the best actors out there. Also, I said this last year and I'll say it again: Ronnie had a sweet loving mustache.

• Locked thread