Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Did Gilroy actually know for sure that Vic killed terry?

Nm, I forgot that they addressed my concern in later episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Leviathan posted:

Can someone tell me why at the end of season 1 Gilroy doesn't roll on Vic after Gilroy gets arrested?

He cut a deal with the DA in season two and tried to get Vic to incriminate himself. Vic didn't fall for it and was able to get over on Gilroy.

flamingmuse
Aug 31, 2001

Woof!
Enjoy the ride. I heartily endorse this show as my favorite ever. I've only seen the first season of The Wire so I won't try to compare the two, but I will say this: The Shield did something that I don't think any other show ever even tried. They made you seriously root for the bad guy. I know that sounds contrived, but it is incredible how much fans of the show will look past Mackey's transgressions. I had this conversation the other day with another fan:

Me: Man the Shield is great. I've never wanted the bad guy to win until I watched that show.

Him: Mackey wasn't a bad guy, he was looking out for the best interests of his family.

Me: He killed another cop in the first episode, beat a witness to death, had two guys fight to the death in the back of a truck, stood over a man to make sure he died, caused the death of his partner and former best friend AND his family, set up his other best friend and managed to get the only person who really had a chance to stop him thrown in jail.

Him: ...

Every other show I've ever seen (including The Wire have either straight up bad guys that get it in the end, or flawed heroes. The Shield says 'Root for Vic or get the gently caress out of the way' and I loved every second of it. Hell, an S1 episode was on the other day and I was shocked at how well it held up.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Vic is a couple of missed meals away from being Hannibal Lecter.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Just saw the scene where Vic makes that informant prostitute fellate his gun. hosed up.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

flamingmuse posted:

Every other show I've ever seen (including The Wire have either straight up bad guys that get it in the end, or flawed heroes. The Shield says 'Root for Vic or get the gently caress out of the way' and I loved every second of it. Hell, an S1 episode was on the other day and I was shocked at how well it held up.

This line needs to be adapted to the Breaking Bad thread and changed to 'Root for Walt or get the gently caress out of the way' just so everyone will shut the hell up about Walt being a bad guy.

What's everyone's favorite season? Is the consensus here 4 and 5? I just started rewatching this show (only seasons I haven't seen previously are 5-6-7), and the first couple eps of season 2 are pretty slow compared to most of 1 so far. I forget whether season 2 gets better...

Oh man, the loving intensity at the end of 2x02 when Vic beats the poo poo out of Armadillo and burns his face...INTENSE.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 9, 2009

Mr Hairs
Jan 5, 2006
Sandy loaming war-priest body remover

flamingmuse posted:

Him: Mackey wasn't a bad guy, he was looking out for the best interests of his family.

Me: He killed another cop in the first episode, beat a witness to death, had two guys fight to the death in the back of a truck, stood over a man to make sure he died, caused the death of his partner and former best friend AND his family, set up his other best friend and managed to get the only person who really had a chance to stop him thrown in jail.

When did Vic ever beat a witness to death?. Over the course of the series he 'only' killed three people - Terry, Margos and Guardo, all of whom he shot to death (granted, he beat Guardo before he shot him, but Guardo couldn't be regarded as a 'witness').

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Mackey's MO has always been that if the Strike Team could regulate the drug trade in Farmington, gang violence will decrease. Problem is that he tried to make profit doing that and hosed up the ultimate goal numerous times. Does the end justify the means? For example in "Pilot" with the guy who had the young girl trapped, is it ok that Mackey clocks him in the face with a phone book with no absolute proof? Even though it did lead to finding the kid?

Enough of that, does anyone have a spook street shuffle gif?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leviathan posted:

This line needs to be adapted to the Breaking Bad thread and changed to 'Root for Walt or get the gently caress out of the way' just so everyone will shut the hell up about Walt being a bad guy.

That doesn't work. Walt is just plain unlikable. He doesn't have the je ne sais quoi that endeared so many of us to Mackey.

flamingmuse
Aug 31, 2001

Woof!

Mr Hairs posted:

When did Vic ever beat a witness to death?. Over the course of the series he 'only' killed three people - Terry, Margos and Guardo, all of whom he shot to death (granted, he beat Guardo before he shot him, but Guardo couldn't be regarded as a 'witness').

My bad, he beats him ALMOST to death then shoots him. And I was talking about Guardo.

As for best seasons, it starts up about half way S4 when the realization that Lem isn't getting out of it and into S6 (first two episodes) when Whitaker's character is put away.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Leviathan posted:

Oh man, the loving intensity at the end of 2x02 when Vic beats the poo poo out of Armadillo and burns his face...INTENSE.

The best thing about that is the fact that he beats the poo poo out of him with a book of laws.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I need to dig up the Interview (I think it's with Alan Sepinwall) but Shawn Ryan did very much regret having Vic kill Crowley in the first episode. He did say that in hindsight it should've come in or around mid-season. I think the later episode that flashes back to the events prior to the shooting goes some way to explaining what was going on. But Ryan said they felt they took it too far by bumping him off in the end of the first episode. It was essentially a ploy to get people to keep watching. And it worked.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

Eh? You're entitled to your opinion of course, but which parts did you find boring exactly? I personally find The Shield an order of magnitude more exciting and intense than 24. 24's early seasons, despite being the best, have plenty of boring soap moments, and even though it's pretty much non stop action now, we've seen everything it has to offer several times over.

Well actually I think part of the reason I found it boring was the fact that I watched all 4 seasons in about 2 weeks. I've re watched some episodes recently and I'm enjoying much more. But of the top of my head one of the stories I found boring was Julians. He is obviously gay, being religious isn't going to change that and trying to hide it is bad. Why spend 4 seasons saying that? .

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrVenkman posted:

I need to dig up the Interview (I think it's with Alan Sepinwall) but Shawn Ryan did very much regret having Vic kill Crowley in the first episode. He did say that in hindsight it should've come in or around mid-season. I think the later episode that flashes back to the events prior to the shooting goes some way to explaining what was going on. But Ryan said they felt they took it too far by bumping him off in the end of the first episode. It was essentially a ploy to get people to keep watching. And it worked.

Very interesting. Let me know if you find that!

flamingmuse
Aug 31, 2001

Woof!

doctor thodt posted:

Very interesting. Let me know if you find that!

****HUGE loving CAUTION: IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE ENTIRE gently caress SERIES DO NOT CLICK ON THESE loving LINKS****

Interview with Ryan:
http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2008/11/shield-shawn-ryan-post-finale-q.html

Breakdown of the final Eps:
http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2008/11/shield-family-meeting-goodbye-vic.html

****HUGE loving CAUTION: IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE ENTIRE gently caress SERIES DO NOT CLICK ON THESE loving LINKS****

Now, in my inside voice I think these give more insight to anything I've read about The Shield.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
Beaten. It's a great interview, do not read unless you have seen everything.

Rort
Sep 24, 2006

TUS posted:

Enough of that, does anyone have a spook street shuffle gif?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, that interview is fantastic. I'm in awe of what a masterful showrunner Shawn Ryan is.

flamingmuse
Aug 31, 2001

Woof!

doctor thodt posted:

Wow, that interview is fantastic. I'm in awe of what a masterful showrunner Shawn Ryan is.

Just as impressive is how the interview is more or less a conversation with a a super well versed admirer without being a bunch of fawning bullshit.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
Apparently the season 7 dvd came out yesterday, I didn't see it at Bestbuy but will most definitely be picking that up next time I swing by.

http://www.amazon.com/Shield-Season-Seven-Final-Act/dp/B0020TS5EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1244692755&sr=8-1

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Just caught until the end of series 5...

Big spoiler:
Lems death was sad but I happened to catch the end of this episode on tv a couple years back before I started watching the show. I could barely remember who was killed but I knew Shane did it and Vic got into a fight with a big ol black man. Wasn't much impact, I imagine it would have been pretty jaw dropping though

Is Vic the kids dad? I think I might have missed a scene. A yes or no will suffice.

The music in this show is amazing.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

flamingmuse posted:

Just as impressive is how the interview is more or less a conversation with a a super well versed admirer without being a bunch of fawning bullshit.

Sepinwall's blog is absolute must-read stuff if you want to read about TV.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Competition posted:

Just caught until the end of series 5...

Big spoiler:
Lems death was sad but I happened to catch the end of this episode on tv a couple years back before I started watching the show. I could barely remember who was killed but I knew Shane did it and Vic got into a fight with a big ol black man. Wasn't much impact, I imagine it would have been pretty jaw dropping though

Is Vic the kids dad? I think I might have missed a scene. A yes or no will suffice.

The music in this show is amazing.

yes

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

redz posted:

Apparently the season 7 dvd came out yesterday, I didn't see it at Bestbuy but will most definitely be picking that up next time I swing by.

http://www.amazon.com/Shield-Season-Seven-Final-Act/dp/B0020TS5EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1244692755&sr=8-1

Got it on Tuesday and I am on the last disk as we speak, I am at the Victor Samuel Mackey admission scene and it was just as good as I remembered. I like how Shawn Ryan said a movie would be possible after Mackey serves his 3 years with ICE that could be interesting.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

TUS posted:

Got it on Tuesday and I am on the last disk as we speak, I am at the Victor Samuel Mackey admission scene and it was just as good as I remembered. I like how Shawn Ryan said a movie would be possible after Mackey serves his 3 years with ICE that could be interesting.

As much as I'd enjoy seeing more Shield, I thought the ending was perfect, and it really left it up in the air exactly what Vic was going to do and how he was going to cope. The rest of the strike team is dead or in jail, and he'd never get his job back in Farmington, so I'm not sure how appealing Vic Mackey: The Movie would be, or how it could work.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I'm up to season three at the moment in my Shield binge and I can't believe that they made David Aceveda suck a dick. They even had him spit out the guy's nut and everyhting. That's loving disgusting. I really wish that they didn't do that. Now every time I see him all I can see is him sucking that guy's dick. He's never going to live that down. :barf:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Macrame_God posted:

I'm up to season three at the moment in my Shield binge and I can't believe that they made David Aceveda suck a dick. They even had him spit out the guy's nut and everyhting. That's loving disgusting. I really wish that they didn't do that. Now every time I see him all I can see is him sucking that guy's dick. He's never going to live that down. :barf:

You'll get to relive it in like every single "Previously on..." for like the next two seasons.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

A Violence Gang posted:

You'll get to relive it in like every single "Previously on..." for like the next two seasons.

Ugh. At least I got it on DVD so that I can skip it. :barf:

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

doctor thodt posted:

Mackey chasing a guy who hops a wooden fence. Mackey just plows right through the fence like a bull and creams the fucker.
Any chance of a gif of this?

Just finished S2, it's getting better and better as I go along, I can't imagine/believe that it manages to keep improving all the time.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
In S3, I can't believe Dutch kills the loving cat after talking to the grandma rapist wtf god that's so creepy, I always figured Dutch's "moral compass" was functioning at full capacity

Also, I think S3 has been the worst season so far out of 1, 2, and 3. especially because of the aceveda dick suck and subsequent "PREVIOUSLY ON"s ugh

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Leviathan posted:

In S3, I can't believe Dutch kills the loving cat after talking to the grandma rapist wtf god that's so creepy, I always figured Dutch's "moral compass" was functioning at full capacity

Remember that it does follow his long conversation with the serial killer where he really struggles to understand why they kill. The killer is cooperative -- he wants an answer as much as Dutch does. He tries to explain the feeling he experienced at the moment the victim dies but can't get it across to Dutch. Dutch kills that cat because he thinks it's the only thing left that can help him understand the people he chases, and you can tell he's deeply repulsed by what he did immediately after.

Not that it makes it admirable, but it isn't some psycho thrill thing for Dutch. He's just way too obsessed with these cases. I can't remember if this was before or after Bob & Marcy because that really shook him.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

A Violence Gang posted:

Remember that it does follow his long conversation with the serial killer where he really struggles to understand why they kill. The killer is cooperative -- he wants an answer as much as Dutch does. He tries to explain the feeling he experienced at the moment the victim dies but can't get it across to Dutch. Dutch kills that cat because he thinks it's the only thing left that can help him understand the people he chases, and you can tell he's deeply repulsed by what he did immediately after.

Not that it makes it admirable, but it isn't some psycho thrill thing for Dutch. He's just way too obsessed with these cases. I can't remember if this was before or after Bob & Marcy because that really shook him.

I know it's not a thrill thing for him. I just don't think Dutch killing a cat gave him some insight into serial killers that he was lacking before, and man lemme tell you, I hate cats worst pets ever

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Leviathan posted:

I know it's not a thrill thing for him. I just don't think Dutch killing a cat gave him some insight into serial killers that he was lacking before, and man lemme tell you, I hate cats worst pets ever

Yeah, it definitely didn't work, but I think he believed it would.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Leviathan posted:

Also, I think S3 has been the worst season so far out of 1, 2, and 3. especially because of the aceveda dick suck and subsequent "PREVIOUSLY ON"s ugh

I just got to that scene in Season Three and I agree that Season Three is particularly difficult to watch. It's not that it's bad, quite the contrary it's equal in quality to everything else I’ve seen so far. It's just that between the whole gunpoint oral rape and experimental murder stuff Season Three is all sorts of grim and nasty. It's just really brutal. :smith:

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Macrame_God posted:

I just got to that scene in Season Three and I agree that Season Three is particularly difficult to watch. It's not that it's bad, quite the contrary it's equal in quality to everything else I’ve seen so far. It's just that between the whole gunpoint oral rape and experimental murder stuff Season Three is all sorts of grim and nasty. It's just really brutal. :smith:

One redeeming part of S3 is Aceveda's final confrontation with his rapist in interrogation. That was some of the best acting he's done on this show

omg, lem trying to burn all the loot, great scene

Also, can you guys mention which season you're talking about when spoilering? I want to try to only read posts about epis I've watched.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 15, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Leviathan posted:

Even though he was doing the right thing I couldn't help but go "Noooooooo!" :(

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
S3

Leviathan posted:

I never saw the point in this, the Armenians would still be missing their money and would still be after them. Lem changed nothing except cost him and his friends so much money, infact it would be harder to hide away as now it wouldn't be enough to bury in real estate.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It made total sense, given that Lem was panicking and thus acting irrational.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Competition posted:

S3

I never saw the point in this, the Armenians would still be missing their money and would still be after them. Lem changed nothing except cost him and his friends so much money, infact it would be harder to hide away as now it wouldn't be enough to bury in real estate.

If I remember rightly, Lem just thought that the money was tearing the strike team apart, and they'd be better off without it.

As for Dutch and the cat, I think the whole point was that he DIDN'T get any insight to the minds of these killers. They're crazy, simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dutch is one of my favorite characters on the show. I always got the impression that he could have just as easily been one of those crazies if he didn't have such a finely tuned moral compass. Killing the cat was part of that, I think, and during Season 5 and 7 he gets a few more notable cases where he gets way too involved

• Locked thread