Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Holy poo poo, that's absolutely awesome looking. I too would leave it absolutely the same cosmetically, save for (obviously) making the interior nice, and certainly clean up the engine bay. It's just too cool to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Paint going back onto things is truly the best part of a project. Everything all clean and new and fresh again :allears:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I've used some super cool coated brake line. It hasn't rusted yet in Ohio salt winters, so it's at least slightly better than your average line.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Many things about this project make me happy.

Not the least of which is the utter glory that is POR-15 coating what was once a true mess. Something about a brutally good rust protectant coating every possible surface makes me very happy.

Damned good job :)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

MrSaturn posted:

I don't think I can possibly relate how much you want to use a Pertronix setup on your truck. It will make all the differenct. My corvair runs buttery smooth now that i've got the Pertronix installed. LobsterboyX has it on all of his 'mobiles, too.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Or, if the distributor is mechanically compatible, you can grab the HEI distributor for a '75-up truck and drop it in.

I put a pertronix module in my Beetle and I absolutely love it.

Just remember to keep a set of points with you (in the rare case that it fails, it'll just be plain dead), and don't leave the ignition on without starting it. If you need to troubleshoot wiring or something, just pull the coil wire. The coil likes to fry the pertronix, supposedly.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 14, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Maaco does a decent job if you prep the rig for them.

Yeah, but at that point you've done every bit of the work, and you might as well do the easy part as well.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Mooecow posted:

I should have asked before I went over there, but, are these blaster guns any good? There are a few areas I won't be able to get at with a paint disc, so I need some way to derust those areas.

That will work, but expect to have at least some headaches getting it to feed properly.

Also, do yourself a favor and buy good media.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Yep. Getting it resurfaced is pretty much a no brainer.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Definitely good news, it would appear. Head to a machine shop and some good elbow grease on the block, and you should have a perfectly healthy engine, judging by pictures on the internet. :)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Well holy crap, that looks downright astonishing.

drat fine job :)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Prongs perhaps for an external regulator?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Mooecow posted:

Seeing as the truck didn't come with a tach, I want to add one at least when I am setting the idle and learning when to shift. I just want a small gauge that is somewhat accurate. Is this good enough or would I just be wasting my money? Since it won't be permanent, I am having time rationalizing spending a lot of money on it.

That's perfect. Those little sunpro's are awesome and last forever.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

In all honesty, it'd almost certainly work, but it'd really be better if you could return the rims and pick up a new set in a different offset.

e: if doing that isn't easy, then gently caress it and just use spacers.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I know it's getting common at this point in the thread, but I just went back and looked at the first page for the first time since you started this thread, and the length you've come in a year and a half is completely loving staggering.

e: :fsmug:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Holy poo poo, that's fantastic work.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Wedesdo posted:

Given how :stalker: people are around here, you may want to censor your dad's license plate.

Great to see the truck out on the road after 60 years!

:confused:
People generally don't bother with this in AI. There's really not much you can do with it. The thread already features the family company.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Is it better to use straight weight oil in older engines?

Not really, but straight weight oils still have the higher quantities of ZDP, which can (supposedly) be beneficial to old engines.
Don't know if that's why mooecow did it though :v:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

It looks very russian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

POR-15 is just an entirely different animal than epoxy primer, but they'll both accomplish the same thing.

POR works beautifully on perfectly prepped metal and it will last a very, very long time. The ridiculous prep system is absolutely necessary, though. It's honestly about the same level of pain in the rear end as spraying epoxy, though.

Slathering POR over rust is when you get into short-term repairs, and that's never a good idea anyway.

• Locked thread