Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Normally we do this while the driveshaft is out of the vehicle but it will work either way depending on how brave you are. Heat that fucker with a torch until the grease cooks off and the cap will fly the gently caress off. It will explode off the u joint with a lot of force but it will come off. If you aren't as adventurous you could probably dremel cut the u bolt off and hit it repeatedly with a hammer.

This method relies on the fact that there is still grease packed around the needle bearings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Mooecow posted:

Once I have the parts down to bare metal, I have no idea what to do. Suggestions?

Self etching primer to prevent it from rusting again is the first priority.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
If you can, put a set of wheels on it with no tires. If the tires are junk you can just air them down but a plain set of steel wheels should give you the clearance you need and still be relatively easy to push around.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
The people bitching are the people who demand you only use what they deem to be the best paint they currently use. Kirker makes a good acrylic urethane and since the vehicle was probably lacquer to begin with this will keep it semi correct and it's one step up from enamel. Check locally for an api or someone else who supplies PPG Omni Acrylic Urethane and you'll be surprised at the cheapness and ability to match the original color.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
When using Kirker paint you can mix your own by ordering a pint of black and mixing it until you get the color you want. You may want to do it with a measuring cup just in case you need to match it in the future.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Mooecow posted:

Hmmm, I think you might be on to something there Toucan Sam. The more I think about it the more I would like the color a bit darker. If it was that simple that would be great.

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but I assume I couldn't use universal tint that is used for mixing house, trim, and floor paints? That would make it even easier.

The only way i have done it is using the same brand/type of paint to do the mixing. It's easiest to use a small measured amount until you get the color you want then mix up the rest of the paint with the formula you used on the small portion. A small amount of black or white goes a long way so start out small but keep it in easy to measure ounces/half ounce amounts. There is no need for spray, you can brush them side by side on some primed material until you get what you are looking for. I paint a lot of enamel on older cars for guys who don't want to step up to base/clear or acrylic urethane just because they want to keep the paint closer to the original. I use this method to match what they are looking for and can usually come really drat close.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

FullMetalJacket posted:

wet sand the hard transition maybe?

It will be a hard transition but that would be correct for the year of the truck. They didn't clear anything until around '85 or '86. Anything before that would have a rough transition, that's why they were usually separated by trim. The trim hid the hard transition.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I'd probably stick to the original scheme just because of the trucks history. It's something that you'll be second guessing until the end of time either way.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Mooecow posted:

Critically, they just clear the tie rod.

Make sure you tell the tire shop about the clearance so they can sticky weight them when balancing.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
loving awesome, looks like a million bucks. Did you learn how to drive it yet? You deserve to be the first one to take it down the road.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

c355n4 posted:

I saw this picture and thought of your truck.

So did i, this thread was the first thing that came to mind. Chrome in all the right places on that truck right there, it just looks right.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
The cow statue in the bed rules, i agree the door belongs in the house. It just makes me happy to see the truck displayed so prominently, warms my cold dead heart.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Boat posted:

That sounds like a phenomenal way to throw yourself bodily out of a moving vehicle.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I would be rolling around somewhere in the vehicle while it careened into a bus full of nuns.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Sterndotstern posted:

Keeping a vehicle like this stock costs more in time and money than modifying it and is just more fundamentally respectful. Keep on being awesome.

Exactly, i respect an old car with the correct drive train more than anything swapped when it comes to classic vehicles.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

meatpimp posted:

It's at maximum speed. :rimshot:

Exactly, the old trucks were slow and it took skill to drive them. It was really a momentum game. Anyone can swap a modern engine into something they're restoring but it takes someone who really cares about the vehicle to keep it as close to original as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
That frame is a work of art, they did a drat good job.

• Locked thread