Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Why?

they just dont get it... there is no use fighting it. lol LSx lol... what about LOL olds 303, cad 331, buick 322 LOL

now that looks like a fun project! even cooler that its a 5 window! as mentioned before, you'll have to get in contact with one of the many parts places, and make friends with your salesperson.

at my shop we did a 54 gmc (very similar) and a 64 chevy truck - early classic, LMC truck, truck shop and chevy duty will be your best friends. i had a whole list of names of the guys and gals that hocked us parts.

i know its a crumby picture, but its the only one i could find. points to anyone besides interceptor who can tell me what would be special about the 6 cyl in this truck
EDIT:

but im sure you fags would rather jerk off to the ferrari

trucks are a fun and easy resto, id say easier than cars. as far as what i would do to this truck - id check out the frame, and if its not too bad, powdercoat it up, get all new suspension, rebuild a 6 cyl, leave the body as it is and put a new floor in it, bag it.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
its really not that bad - not bad at all, get everything off the frame and start cleaning!

it needs to be put back to how it was - nothing fancy.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
i think a competent machine shop could take care of that engine. ive seen worse condition engines become daily runners.

as far as the cab situation goes, it seems like you are on the right track to track one down. also, the cab is deceptively light and can be lifted of with 4 guys.

now- heres the real question, say you do find a new cab, how are you going to make the coolest door on earth match?

i would try to save the cab, it wont be pretty, but i think patina rules all

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 11, 2009

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Kaptainballistik posted:

I think restoring the Chassis so It is a roller first would be the best Idea..Because that bodywork will be heartbreaking.

Channel the sukka, You know you want it on the weeds! And a Paxton supercharger....

i agree with doing the chassis first... its just easier, and maybe if you get the cab off you can even move it indoors for a little bit better work area

about channeling it, you dont have to get get these things low low.

as far as fixing this cab - im going to have to ask some of my lowrider friends, but im pretty sure that all the patch pieces for the normal trouble areas are cheap...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
definitely 53 olds...

the old 54 gmc that my shop restored had a weird hood rocket thing too.

you are kicking rear end on this truck, its so great to see the progress.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
i have nothing but good things to say about pertronix. i have a unit in 2 of my cars that i drive regularly. i installed one in my 58 cadillac over 4 years ago now and there hasnt been even a hiccup in the system. i recently upgraded my 48 buick and again, could not be happier.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
53-54 235's would be your best bet - looks right and makes the most power. if you were closer, a friend of mine had a one that came out of a running 53 chevy car.

unless you want to go with the "jimmy 6" 302 inline... that would be period... and awesome.

im ready to see this thing painted!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
wowie!

Where have I been? you are making leaps and bounds with every update. great work!

I wish someone would take care of my old tube radios for me :(

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
wow! thats awesome, i can see how you might have been worried about whats going on in there... but really, as others have said before me, ive seen a lot worse. clean it up real nice and get it back together and you'll have a real nice runner.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Sounds like you just need an alignment. don't even try to take it to a chain type shop because they honestly wont know what they are looking at. correct me if im wrong but you didn't touch the suspension did you?

also, it seems like you've been driving it frequently enough, have you realized that you can start off in 2nd gear yet?

you should be very proud of yourself, what takes most people years, you've accomplished in such a short amount of time. it inspires me to get to work on my projects.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
the thing that concerns me is that this truck is riding on brand new radial tires, if you want to get in to what it should have had, then it should have been atleast an 800x15 bias plys if not 820 or 900. if its all over the road with radials, then id assume it would be un-drivable with the correct tires. id say just get under there and re-torque everything, then if you really wanted to, you could set the toe yourself.. but im guessing the kingpins are worn.

heres a step by step guide with no pictures
http://tinyurl.com/2gy6wrh

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
first off, what the hell is that huge pipe wrench... please tell me thats your shifter, secondly, did you time that last photo to include the hood of your truck, the awesome mailbox post AND the 58 chevy coming the other way? amazing.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

MrSaturn posted:

Mooecow: Help! I unplugged the wires from the voltage regulator on my '54, in order to lengthen them and move it to the inner fender, and I can't remember which order they go back on in. Could you snap some shots of yours for me?

i will, my 48 has one.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
found your next project...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/2349745547.html

obviously not a 50s model, but similar none the less.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
are you using any surface prep? id probably echo the other guys and say your air supply is the most likely culp but a good surface prep should always be in order.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Billy Tully posted:

Man, I was one of the people that doubted the outcome from what you posted in the beginning but holy hell man, the end result is hands down one of the best projects I've seen. In an unbelievable short amount of time too. Hats off to you Mr Mooecow, now when are you going to stop by my neck of the woods and give me a ride in it while simultaneously making fun of my easier and still unfinished projects?

couldent have said it better myself.

you've done an amazing job, its absoultely beautiful, and what a great story. that will be a family heirloom for generations to come. its just priceless.

congrats, youve done a great job.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
thats a great idea, it doesnt get much more american than that. you could always rent it to movies or local productions. they pack good insurance and you get to sit around, eat craft service and enjoy money for nothing.

but whatever you do, dont sell it to the indiana jones franchise.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Mooecow posted:

but I won't spoil that just yet. ;)

please do.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Your progress is amazing, as usual.

I dont see why you couldent adapt a more modern vaccuum drive dual pot master to your truck. I have a friend who has a divco exactly what setup he used.

In other news, on the west coast, divco made a fleet of trucks that looked like this:

the famous helms bakery divcos of los angeles. I hope one day I can have one of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Mooecow posted:

Look what just popped up on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Othe...=item20c98c5454. You know you want it. I'm sure you neighbors wouldn't mind it sitting out front. ;)

I really, really do want that...

Thanks.

• Locked thread