Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Great thread, can't wait to see it all come together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Re-reading this thread from the beginning, I am very glad you didn't listen to the naysayers like Tai-Pan and the rest, and have kept pushing forward. This is a very fun project to watch develop.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Moruitelda posted:

I think the lighter, "new" blue is beautiful and will look amazing on the truck. No matter what engine you choose, it will be a great project, and at this rate you'll be done very soon.

Yeah, if you could get the body painted before winter, you could do engine work over the winter and maybe have this thing ready to drive by spring!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

miklm posted:

Well done, friend. Well done. You've made remarkable strides in a short time.

Agreed. This project seemed hopeless at the outset, and you have turned it into a certainty. Nice work.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Pipkin posted:

That right there is a beautiful goddamn thing.

Hell yeah.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Some Guy From NY posted:

Every time I see this picture, I kinda wish you would have just made the truck safe enough to drive, new interior and rebuilt the engine, but left the body in this exact shape. The patina was just so awesome.

I don't get people who like "patina". It's just rust and gunk. Nothing looks as nice as a shiny, well-maintained vehicle with a nice paint job.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

trouser chili posted:

I like patina. There is a fuzzy line between patina and just plain "needs restoration". It's hard to nail down exactly when it's time to restore and when it's best to leave be, but I love good patina. The bumps, scrapes, dents, oxidations and wear marks are a testament of a vehicle's life as a tool of man. They tell a story, one that is unique and cannot be easily replicated. Anyone with either enough money, time and patience can have a perfectly restored antique vehicle, but an antique vehicle that's not been restored, that still runs and shows it's scars with pride. That's for me. Q-tippers hate me because I'd buy their diaper-rubbed baby and drive it every day and leave it out in the rain.

Oh, I am all about using classic cars as daily drivers, in fact that is what I do every day. That is what cars are for - driving, in all weather. But that doesn't mean I want my car to rust and look lovely.

I left my nice Craftsman hand tools out in the rain so they could get a nice patina! No. You keep them oiled and in good condition, and if they get wet, you dry them out and re-oil them.

Anyhow, enough patina talk. Mooecow, your truck rules.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Korwen posted:

And wear overalls/dress like a 50s delivery guy.

Yeah, find some 80-year old lady that used to get Ferndale milk and make her think that she has gone back in time!

Nothing like pranking the elderly, I say!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

This is awesome. Not even a year and a half after starting, you're already painting, and the engine is in and operational. Fantastic work!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Moruitelda posted:

I really think that everyone who said that needs to quote their original post and recant. The original pictures really did exaggerate what was wrong with it... but Mooecow was right, and AI was wrong.

Agreed, and it feels so good.

That said, Mooecow, do you have a guesstimate as to what this has cost you so far, or at least a ballpark? If you don't want to say that's fine, but I am curious what this level of DIY frame-off resto costs when you do the painting yourself.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Wooohoo! Nice work!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Coredump posted:

Hey lets all go back to the first page of this thread and quote ourselves over how wrong we were. Geez I never thought you would make this much progress this fast. This thread just keeps on rocking. I guess you got brownie point forever with your dad.

Yeah, what have the family reactions been like now that you have restored the Unrestorable Beast?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Still lovin' this thread and that truck. Nice!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

This project rules. If you have some time, Mooecow, a lot of the early images are busted due to waffleimages going belly-up. I would love to see those again sometime!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

This is so awesome, I got goosebumps looking at the before/after pictures. I can't imagine how happy you must be to have finished it, and finished it so well.

I know that old vehicles always have upkeep and touch-ups that will arise from time to time, but seriously, this thing is done. And it couldn't have been done any better.

Congratufuckinglations.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Sticky/archive this pronto.

Well done.

drat, that was fun to watch!

Yeah, let's get this thing goldmined.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

trouser chili posted:

I think only the lights above the Ferndale sign on the barn give this picture away as not a period piece.

Agreed!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

I love seeing this awesome truck at shows - nice work, Mooecow! It is really a fantastic piece of work you did over the last 2 years.

Also, re-reading the beginning of the thread, I want to hear from Tai-Pan, since he poo poo so hard all over this project at the beginning.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

daslog posted:

Neither of those guys do their own painting and they don't have a paint booth setup. Restoring a car isn't the same thing as keeping a beater on the road for a few more years.

Wait, since when does Mooecow not do his own painting?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Wooo! That is awesome.

Sometimes I like to go back to the beginning of this thread and read all the lovely replies by people who said he shouldn't even bother with the original truck, or should leave it rusty to keep the "patina", and I laugh. Now you've completed 2 separate trucks that both look beautiful. Nice work, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Awesooooommmmmmmmme

• Locked thread