Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Mooecow posted:

Hmmmm, maybe it's just me, but something seems to be missing. :confused:

Holy Jeebus gently caress! More holes than cheese comes to mind. I salute you for your efforts, and do truly enjoy watching the progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Bucephalus posted:

Man, you are seriously kicking rear end on this thing. It's really looking good.

What has the reaction been like from your relatives (failed previous restorers)?
What's happening with the engine?
Also:

Dog years I think.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Since you have a completely new brake system (everything has been rebuilt) have you considered using DOT4 silicone based fluid? It doesn't draw water like DOT3, so there's practically ZERO chance of it boiling. Its just not ABS compatible is all... Drums all around on a steep downgrade always makes me think about temperatures...

Sponge! fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 2, 2009

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

EvilDonald posted:

converting to electronic ignition isn't really worth the expense unless you're building a race engine. Tried it.

Ermm... $70 is too much? http://www.carparts.com/PERTRONIX-B...p=10618-2005140

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
You did good on choice of compressor.

Also, that's not cramped, that's productively cozy.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Mooecow posted:

I don't know what I am going to do with the radio yet. I might just buy new knobs and buttons for it and install it. It won't work, but it would look nice. Otherwise I might just clean it up a bit and sell it on eBay. Radios even in awful shape seem to be selling for over $150, which isn't bad for 10 minutes worth of work.

If you clean it up I think I can fix it for you. I'll do the same thing for you I'm doing for Pipkin. Parts and shipping cost and that's it.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Blaster of Justice posted:

You're a loving hero! Seriously!

I usually do tabletop and freestanding tube radio stuff, and have the master schematic collection for them. I'm putting out feelers with my connections to see if I know anyone who has automobile receiver schematics. Even without a schematic I can still do it, its just easier with.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

I'm pretty sure these idiots might be able to help you finding schematics: http://www.westernwireless.ca/

Still, you're an absolutely hosed beyond any repair insane nerd for offering the OP to fix this radio, but I admire your kind of insanity. If the OP doesn't take you up on this offer, I think he should be shot and then banned for being dead.

I'll contact them once I can positively ID the radio/chassis models.

And you may think I'm insane, but I think sockington is insane with the rust he tackles. Nothing is beyond repair if you have the dedication to it. :clint:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Totally fixable. The electronics end of it is in good shape. Its a real easy one because it is just a mono AM broadcast (medium wave for you non US folks) receiver.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
If/when you shake the junk out of the inside of the radio in the back to clean it, sweep it into a baggie and save it in case there's anything important rolling around in there. Sometimes there is. I may need it. I promise only to put the important and necessary magic dirt back inside it. And unlike wiring harness smoke, Vacuum doesn't escape, per-se. More of a dilution I guess...

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Some Guy From NY posted:

Is that radio actually fixable as you guys claim? It looks like a rusted out hulk. It will have to be completely disassembled and cleaned up with tons of filler, that is if it doesn't turn to dust the moment you start to take it apart.

In all seriousness its structurally sound. That's patina, not rust... It sat out in new england summers and winters, not exposed per-se, but ambient humidity.

As to fix-ability, there's only a handful of parts inside there. Being AM only it is literally only marginally more complicated than a crystal radio.(RF Amplifier(maybe) Oscillator (455KHz), Mixer(Heterodyne), Detector, AF amplifier.) Hell the most complex bit is the push-button tuning, and that's mechanical not electrical. The only thing not "fixable" in it that needs outright replaced is the speaker. The paper cone biodegraded long ago. The good news is being a mobile DC set it is just a normal speaker, not one of the fancy ones where the field coil doubled as the filter choke on the power supply like you find in older AC freestanding sets...

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

The Anal Pirate posted:

If I may derail for one moment, I would like to ask you about tube radios. I am looking at several table top units and would like to know more about getting one possibly fixed up? I am not sure if you are interested in helping a joe blow out but I would gladly pay parts and labor. I don't have PMs, could I e-mail you about this? I really want to be able to pick up ball games on the AM dial over one of these while sitting on my recliner in my reading room.

Sending your mail to the mailbox of "goonmail" at the domain of kittenshateyou.com will get to me. Obfuscated to prevent harvesting...

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

POWER

Are you planning on tearing it down or just cleaning it up before dropping it in?

I vote he tears it down. Not like he can paint in the winter. :)

VVVV You pansy!

Sponge! fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 9, 2009

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Hypnolobster posted:

Yep. Getting it resurfaced is pretty much a no brainer.

See if they can balance it too while they're shaving it down.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Granite Octopus posted:

:monocle: What kind of madness is this?

I too have vacuum powered wipers on the Jeep. Stomp on the gas, no wipers. Stopped at a light? Holy crap they're fast.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

First post in the thread for me, chiming in to say that I love this project and have been following it from day one.

One question though, how are you going to preserve the paint on the doors? (sorry if I missed that part)

He's got 3 doors. 2 are being fully repainted in the livery, the third is being hung on a wall as is. :)

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Kaptainballistik posted:

And I would attach a radiator because once its going you dont want to stop it!

Amen! :11tea:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Helmet Jap posted:

amazing project. I wasn's sure if you have your granpa's logo already, so I went ahead and did my best to replicate it. Just a little token of gratitude for the honorable work you are doing

I have a much bigger Photoshop File and a JPG, if you want them :)

Could you have hosed it up any more than you did? Do you even see where and how you screwed up?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

mewse posted:

Goons can lack tact and you're on the receiving end of a classic artist vs. engineer miscommunication. I felt the effort was very kind of you even if it ends up not being exactly what's needed. Don't take it personally.

I'm chipping in here to say that the effort is appreciated, but I got more enjoyment out of how oopsed up it was. Carry on!

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Helmet Jap posted:

Here ya go! posting with confidence this time. available in huge size as well (if you wanna use it to make decals or trace over it or something..)

Paging Kitsch!...

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

LobsterboyX posted:

wowie!

Where have I been? you are making leaps and bounds with every update. great work!

I wish someone would take care of my old tube radios for me :(

You'd be the 4th goon having me restore their tube stuff...

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Slung Blade posted:

End of 2009 or 2010?

Because there's no transmission man. 2009 looks like a pretty tall order, despite how much Mooecow gets done every day.

That huge fan on the front will propel it!

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Mooecow posted:

To make sure all the chemicals are fully flushed out the of head, would it be a good idea to spray water throughout all the passages? That followed by a heat gun to dry everything seems like it would work, but then again im learning as I go along here.

Water, then Denatured Alcohol. You're set!

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Pipkin posted:

You are SO lucky. I haven't looked at the truck yet but varnish has been my worst enemy so far getting some of the old machinery running.

Go with the blue.

Works toilet bowl cleaner dissolves pretty much anything left by gas...

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Pipkin posted:

So I have that and oven cleaner to try. I can't imagine those products working better than aircraft stripper but I'm willing to try anything, pretty much.

Works is mostly hydrochloric acid... Not to be used on Aluminum for obvious reasons...

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

revmoo posted:

What if you hit it with clearcoat instead of paint?

I'd worry about heat transfer efficiency at that point. A black body radiates heat better.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Sounds better than the L head 6 in my jeep. Which may or may not have a stuck exhaust valve in one cylinder...

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
You running lead substitute in the fuel, or did I miss where the PO of the engine rebuilt it for unleaded fuels?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

I was going to suggest a carburetor rebuild, but gently caress that thing. Throw a "modern" Weber on that engine and you're golden.

Pfft, I'm throwing in my vote for a Carter YF. :)

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Slung Blade posted:

It's a magic engine.

L and F heads are truly magic. :drugnerd:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

frozenphil posted:

Good luck with the cancer you're going to get from baking engine parts in the same oven you use to bake food. FYI, that manifold is going to keep being chalky after you paint it unless you wait for the air to dry out. You really need the humidity to be under 50% for spray paint to work right.

Cancer schmancer... Most of us are up to our shoulders in hydrocarbons and solvents on a weekly basis. What's a little extra hydrocarbon content in our carbohydrates?

I hear babyhitler uses carbon-tet as a skin cream. :ssh:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
HUZZAH!!! :black101:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Mooecow posted:

And I can officially announce that I am awful at driving a stick. I only drove it back and forth for a couple of minutes, but I managed to stall it and throw gravel each time I started off. A bit more practice and I should hopefully get the hang of it. :)

Once you get the real seats in it'll be easier on you. I know firsthand about driving with the wrong seating and a mechanically linked long throw clutch... Learning stick in that lawn chair would, indeed, be difficult. :)

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

jizzsock posted:

Buff? You mean a few handiwipes will take care of it.

Spitshine. We all know sockington's spit is like naval jelly...

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Get yourself some cans of lab-metal. Its like JB-weld but designed for filling/smoothing... poo poo never chips off...

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Mooecow posted:

Overall I don't think it came out too bad. The fabric isn't perfectly tight in some areas so there are a few wavy areas. The truck isn't a show queen so I am perfectly happy with it.

I have :10bux: says your rear end isn't perfectly tight either. Match made in heaven! I haven't even contemplated upholstry on the Jeep yet. I'll be happy to have all the glass in and keep the drat wasps out this summer...

Keep up the good work. You inspire us all.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

trouser chili posted:

Those are often called "west coast mirrors". I don't know why, and there doesn't seem to be an "east coast mirror", but there you are.

Large barn-door sized mirrors rule. My pickup has them and I love them.

East coast mirror is an extended middle finger shoved out the window...

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
As a fellow 1955 3-speed driver, I shall warn you this. When slowing down to a stop, do not attempt to downshift into first while rolling along. It is not synchroed and you will grind the gently caress out of it. Downshifting at speed from 3rd to 2nd is doable, but if you want to go from 2nd to 1st you have to rev match and double clutch or you'll hear the gnashing of gears.... Reverse is also not synchronized. Otherwise just drive the living snot out of it and have fun! I look forward to more work on the logging truck (jeep) this fall, but funds are nonexistent so I don't' know what I'm going to do to it...

That is to say leave it IN 2nd gear till you come to a complete stop via the brakes with the clutch IN, then shift into first when you're stopped. Don't clutch and put it into first while you're slowing down, the shafts are still spinning. Leaving it in 2nd gear with your foot on the clutch brings everything to a stop with the wheels.

Three on the tree is easier than 3 on the floor. Pure muscle habit thinks left and forward is 1st, when its actually reverse...

Also don't sweat the transmission much, they're piss easy to rebuild yourself over a weekend, its about $200-250 in parts, and some beer.

Sponge! fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 30, 2010

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

LobsterboyX posted:

first off, what the hell is that huge pipe wrench... please tell me thats your shifter, secondly, did you time that last photo to include the hood of your truck, the awesome mailbox post AND the 58 chevy coming the other way? amazing.

Oh god yes please tell me that's your gearshift... :rock:

Edit: I have that mailbox post beaten, just have to go photograph the damned thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Mooecow posted:

What could beat that post? Well, unless its a massive oil tanker piston or something. :confused:

This!

:killdozer:

• Locked thread