Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
HURFDURF scary stories are dumb, I'm so cool i lack even the rudimentary analytical abilities to decipher basic themes and archetypes, anything without fast cars and explosions is for babbies, heh im so goddamn tough and grown up :smug:

Zarick posted:

Sadly enough, the easiest time to get the loot under the dragons is the first time through the level (aside from pure WT or after beating both dragons requiring a trip to 1-4). Lure the dragon to the bridge, get him to start his breathing. Then haul rear end back to the other side, and you should be able to pick up everything except the item closest to the blue dragon with minimal danger. However, that last item is a Ring of Great Strength, an amazing item if you want to play a heavily-armored guy, because wearing plate and still being able to roll is a very, very useful thing. It's possible to bait the blue dragon's attack. Get into his range, he'll raise his tail. Back off, let him slam it down, and then rush in, grab the ring, and slide off the side down onto the lower ledge. It's worth noting that you don't get hit by fire on the lower ledge so it's an excellent way to escape the red dragon in a hurry.

I got the Purple Flame Shield, the Ring of Flame Resistance, and the Ring of Great Strength from up there on my first runthrough of 1-1 as a barbarian, and all of them were extremely useful. If you're a lightly armored guy, it might not be worth it since two of those items are really more useful to someone who has more equip weight to sling around.

Something else I'm not sure about... something indicated that there's four levels of encumbrance... 1/4 of your equip weight or less (fastest), 1/2 your equip weight or less (good rolling), up to your max equip weight (slow, awkward rolling) and over your max equip weight (no rolling or running). The thing is, I can't tell the difference between the fastest two. Is there one? Has anyone else noticed a significant difference between 1/4 and 1/2?

Yep, I did this w/ the dragons. It's helped tons.

As for stamina... I think I can see very, very small differences in movement speed with almost no weight compared to half weight. It's easily possible I'm imagining it.

But what's definite is that more weight means stamina regenerates slower, even if you can roll fine with that weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magical_ape
Apr 30, 2008

*Do justice to yourself*
God drat im getting fed up on waiting for yesasia to get there shipment out, ive seen people ordering from playasia/ncsx since i ordered mine and then seen them post to say they just got it in the mail.
Hell ncsx have them in stock and all yesasia can say when i ask them about stock "we should get shipped out within 30 days of your order"
And i cant even cancel with them.
ARGH!

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...

McCoy Pauley posted:

Wait -- say what now? I sure could use some chunks of Dark Moonstone like that. What exactly are you doing? Where is this Black Phantom Urbain on 4-2? Are you at 100% WT?

EDIT: Are you just going to that hole where you rescue St. Urbain and fighting the phantom there?

You got it. The only thing I can think of that I did out of the ordinary is actually more a drunken mistake (and the reason I'll never play this game under the influence of anything again). After Patches pushed me down the well I looked around and evaluated the situation: kill the black phantom or the human? I came to the conclusion that killing the human and trying to befriend the phantom was the best course of action. I killed Urbain and then the phantom.

Later on, when I decided I need to farm some more souls to kill Maneater, I dropped myself down there because I thought I had white tendency. No Makoto, but I found the black phantom there spawning over and over and over. Infinite Stones of Ephemeral Eyes and and all you can use Chunk of Darkmoonstone. I'm half tempted to see if I can do it again next game, but I would like the use of Urbain so as to use miracles and spells other than heal.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Whorehey posted:

You got it. The only thing I can think of that I did out of the ordinary is actually more a drunken mistake (and the reason I'll never play this game under the influence of anything again). After Patches pushed me down the well I looked around and evaluated the situation: kill the black phantom or the human? I came to the conclusion that killing the human and trying to befriend the phantom was the best course of action. I killed Urbain and then the phantom.

Later on, when I decided I need to farm some more souls to kill Maneater, I dropped myself down there because I thought I had white tendency. No Makoto, but I found the black phantom there spawning over and over and over. Infinite Stones of Ephemeral Eyes and and all you can use Chunk of Darkmoonstone. I'm half tempted to see if I can do it again next game, but I would like the use of Urbain so as to use miracles and spells other than heal.

This is amazing. I'm not sure I can even formulate the proper response, but I want to start another game right away and see if I can recreate this. I'm not sure I can recreate the mindset of deciding that the best course of action was to kill the human and befriend the black phantom. That requires a special kind of genius. I salute you.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
not queer for western digital
How regular are people getting parry + riposte. I like to think I'm no esegk but I really can't tell if I'm loving up or these attacks are just unblockable. Also, you can't parry twice in a row?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Depends on the enemy. Some are really easy, some are drat hard. The normal humanoids in Boletaria and the knights are almost comically easy, with the exception of the spear users. The skeletons aren't too bad in Storms once you learn to relax, but others are significantly tougher. I have a hard time gauging goblins and gargoyles, and gently caress gold skeletons. I don't think you can parry giant skeletons.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

A couple things I haven't seen mentioned so far:

If for some reason you do not have access to/do not want to use the evacuate miracle, you can farm splinters of keystone from the rats in 5-1; they're in the bottom of the...building, I guess, with the merchant. The drop rate wasn't fantastic with 25 luck, but good enough that in my pulpstone farming trips I accumulated far more of them than I'd ever use in the course of normal (meaning not farming the 4-2 reaper) play.

The needle of eternal agony seems to be pretty terrible; there are enough places where you can farm souls with minimal effort that I think you'd come out ahead on time just using a weapon that does more damage. Maybe you can use it to be a dick in PvP? I'm not sure whether it actually drains souls from enemy players or just generates them out of nothing.

Regarding weight and running: based on a couple of completely terrible half-assed tests, you do seem to run slightly faster <25% equip weight; rolling seemed to be exactly the same distance. It was not a pronounced enough difference for me to care about the difference between sub-25% and sub-50%.

Questions on my list: Does your magic/mirable power alter the strength or duration of buff spells, or is it just about damage done? If nobody knows I'll try to test it later, but it's going to be a while before I invest in magic again.

Finally, has anyone found a pairing dagger that doesn't require pure white tendency to get? I would kill for one of these, but already cleared out world 3 and have had minimal luck trying to get coop stuff done in there. So if you know where one is/have one you'd be willing to trade for something (I think we can still do this; has anyone tried post-patch?)/want to invade me and die repeatedly in the Tower of Latria, please let me know. Soul level 70-ish right now.

Doran Doran
Jan 10, 2008

So does anyone know what hte Large Flame-Scale Demon's Soul does?

CTRL
May 1, 2008

Whorehey posted:

I can confirm this. Due to some freakish accident (I hadn't even saved Yurt .) Urbain vanished from my game he was hanging out in the nexus, and suddenly he vanished. I can't swap miracles, (and I lost Blige and Ed too :smith: ) but that BP down there ALWAYS respawns, and always drops a stone of ephemeral eyes or two.

By the way, do Primeval demons respawn? I haven't killed any yet, But I guess I could farm colorless souls.

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006

Tzar posted:

This confuses me :downs:. First of all I didn't even know you could face BP urbain, is that with or without rescuing him (that is, is he in the nexus or 4-2 when he's a BP), if he's in 4-2 he must only appear when WT is pure black, wouldn't you killing him repeatedly raise the tendency every time, or are you manually lowering it before you return to the nexus?... I just really want to kill him actually, UMBASA!

Perhaps I'm wrong in assuming that the phantom is, in fact, Urbain, but what I can tell you is that when I first fell into the well, Urbain was on one side and this phantom was on the other. My tendency was neutral. What I had forgot to mention though, was that this black phantom didn't really start appearing again until after I had attempted to turn the tendency pure white. For some reason it won't budge past a certain point and killing this phantom hasn't changed a thing regardless of my tendency. Strange indeed.

And no, because I killed Urbain he's not in the nexus for me. My personal character's tendency is also more of a charcoal or ash color so the magic/miracle vendors refuse to sell to me, outside of Yuria of course. The only miracle vendor also seemed to vanish...

Who knows, my game has been funny from the start. I had no dragons to deal with in 1-1 and the gate to the left was instantly open for me, prompting me to fight Miralda and black phantoms before I had even encountered archers or the first boss. I shoved that axe waving, bag wearing bitch down the tower with my shield and stole her equipment :c00lbert:

Edit: I've always wore plate armor and was over the 1/2 benchmark for equip weight. The animation is funny and you're clunky compared to underneath the limit (I didn't find out there was a difference until I created a thief), but the basic principles are still the same. You're able to dodge and roll an incoming attack and you still have that small time frame/window of immunity when you're doing it. It's just a matter of learning how to use each, I suppose.

Whorehey fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 1, 2009

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

I finally, FINALLY got a piece of pure darkmoonstone. I think the easiest way is to use the gecko behind through the secret doorway in 4-2. Kill the skeleton, run up the hill and try to kill the gecko. If it runs off the cliff, and he loving will because this game hates you, or he doesn't drop it, immediately quit out of the game. When you reload, you'll be above where the gecko spawns and he'll be in his normal place just sitting there. If you kill him and he doesn't drop a pure piece, quickly quit out and try again.

Darkmoonstone is so goddamn rare that cheating the save system was the only way I could stay sane trying to get it. I suggest everyone do the same.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

CTRL posted:

By the way, do Primeval demons respawn? I haven't killed any yet, But I guess I could farm colorless souls.

I'm pretty sure I've read that they do not respawn, but can't confirm it first-hand.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Mister E posted:

Yeah, I just placed my order with NCSX earlier today and they've already processed it and it's shipping out. So if you've got an order you aren't getting anywhere with somewhere else, I suggest canceling it and going with them.

Now I'll get to join in the fun of having my rear end handed to me from anything and everything over and over again!

Yeah, I'm glad I went with NCSX too. According to my tracking number, UPS has already picked up the package and is sending it on its way. I'm in Canada, so hopefully Customs doesn't hold it up.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Does Patches drop anything interesting if you assassinate him in the Nexus? I somehow managed to hit him then backstab him, and he disintegrated in mid-air and I couldn't loot him. :downs:

I'm trying to decide on a spell load-out to stick with the rest of the game - I'm down to assassinating Yuria, and I don't want to really screw myself by having a gimped spell list for the remainder of my game. Probably Fireball, Hide, Moving Soul Arrow, and Soul Light - it's a shame that Total Protection is 2 magic slots.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Tortolia posted:

Does Patches drop anything interesting if you assassinate him in the Nexus? I somehow managed to hit him then backstab him, and he disintegrated in mid-air and I couldn't loot him. :downs:

I haven't done it, but I'm pretty sure he's part of the assassination quest.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Raglay posted:

I haven't done it, but I'm pretty sure he's part of the assassination quest.

Yeah, that's why I killed him. I got the reward from Mephistopheles, but like the other named NPCs in the Nexus you kill he dropped some extra items. I wasn't able to loot those.

I don't recall anything dropped off the NPCs to be completely unique so far, so I doubt Patches had something major up his sleeve. Just a curiosity thing.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
not queer for western digital

victrix posted:

Depends on the enemy. Some are really easy, some are drat hard. The normal humanoids in Boletaria and the knights are almost comically easy, with the exception of the spear users.

So basically I am esegk?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Raptop posted:

So basically I am esegk?

rofl, well, I suppose it depends on how many other games with this sort of mechanic you've played - I was already dmc/ng trained, so parrying was comfortable right away.

really though, you don't *have* to parry anything. I've gone through the game with a range of characters - playing as a dw only rogue forced me to learn parrying as a survival mechanic, and also taught me the value of simple avoidance. conversely, playing as a heavy armor heavy shield type - you don't need to parry poo poo, you just block it and punish the fool for hitting you.

Don't get obsessed with it - missing a parry means taking damage, blocking means taking little or none, dodging usually means taking none. It's the most rewarding defensive tool, but its also the riskiest, and it isn't needed.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
I'm still waiting on this game to come in the mail, but I wanted to ask a quick question: how well do the various classes fair in PvP? I remember reading somewhere that it was broken for some classes, and I don't want to play something that's going to get horribly owned. I was looking at playing a Temple Knight or a Priest - are they any good?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's more like specific weapons and spells are overpowered. Specifically Meat Cleaver and Acid Cloud.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I thought we'd gone over the class thing enough - classes are just starting stats and equipment, nothing else. No class is going to be 'stronger' or 'weaker' at pvp than anything but very low levels, and looking for 'serious' pvp from this game is foolish at best. It adds a unique element of fear on your first playthrough when you get invaded, and its hilarious to invade later, but otherwise, it's not the focus of the game by any stretch of the imagination.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Yay shameless advertising! :downs:

I'm selling my copy of Demon's Souls for about 55$ including shipping.

Great game, but this economy is a bitch at times. :sigh: The new patch sort of killed my interest, too. Right when I was getting all the end game gear. :argh:

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh
I'll buy it. I've never used SA Mart, who picks up the shipping?

edit: I see it includes shipping, I'm in.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
PM sent.

Oh and, word to the wise for starter mages, do 2-1 and beat the spider, then skip to 4-1+ or 5-1+ to get some more important spells from the boss souls. 5-2 and 5-3 especially, being both poison and death(plague) cloud. Super useful.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Thanks for the tips about the dragon, guys. I giess it's time to strip naked and make a run for the items!

magical_ape posted:

God drat im getting fed up on waiting for yesasia to get there shipment out, ive seen people ordering from playasia/ncsx since i ordered mine and then seen them post to say they just got it in the mail.
Hell ncsx have them in stock and all yesasia can say when i ask them about stock "we should get shipped out within 30 days of your order"
And i cant even cancel with them.
ARGH!

When did you place your order? I ordered from Yesasia on the 28th of Feb, shipped 13th March and had it in my hands on 28th of March. I missed the initial print run nad was pretty happy to get it this quickly (the expected ship date was 29th of March).

Oh and about the game being too hard, I'm pretty poo poo at these sorts of games usually, and it took me about 4 hours to get past 1-1. But one you've beaten Phalanx, and can spend souls and choose other areas the game really opens up. The more you playt the better you get at it too, I was getting killed by everything from dreglings to blue knights with regularity, now that I've got the timing and flow of the combat down it's much smoother sailing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The method that the developers provided to be able to complete the 4-3 boss fight if you're a non-archer/mage character is pretty awesome.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Tortolia posted:

The method that the developers provided to be able to complete the 4-3 boss fight if you're a non-archer/mage character is pretty awesome.

What do you mean? Just wait around until a chump black phantom spawns?

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006

Brackhar posted:

What do you mean? Just wait around until a chump black phantom spawns?

No, you pick up the Stormbringer sword on the cliff and swing that big, mighty bastard around. You then proceed to cut down every manta with your magical sword of death. You can also whoop black phantom rear end. Fantastic if you ask me, which you didn't.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's also the perfect area for grinding. If you equip the ring of averice you get about 18-20k souls in a few minutes.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Whorehey posted:

No, you pick up the Stormbringer sword on the cliff and swing that big, mighty bastard around. You then proceed to cut down every manta with your magical sword of death. You can also whoop black phantom rear end. Fantastic if you ask me, which you didn't.

Yup. I just killed the Storm King with a few quick fireballs, explored the rest of the level, found the Stormbringer, read the description, and figured I'd give it a shot.

"Neat looking sword, let's take a quick swing HOLY poo poo SHOCKWAVE AWESOME" :aaa:

And yeah, 4-3 is great for farming souls. Faster than 4-2 if more dangerous. You'll be farming there a bit anyway if you're trying to max out a Cloudstone Shield though since you need the chunks that the mantas there drop.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I still stand by my idea that the Stormbringer should be upgradeable to the point where your "Heavy Attack" shoots that shockwave blast in any area in the game. That's the coolest thing you can do in the game!

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Tortolia posted:

And yeah, 4-3 is great for farming souls. Faster than 4-2 if more dangerous. You'll be farming there a bit anyway if you're trying to max out a Cloudstone Shield though since you need the chunks that the mantas there drop.

Am I missing something regarding the Dark Silver Shield? I haven't actually gotten it so I don't know if there's a catch, but the wiki says it reduces physical and magical damage by 100. It doesn't seem like there would be any reason to make a Cloudstone shield.

Ryven
Sep 25, 2004

vertiginominal posted:

Am I missing something regarding the Dark Silver Shield? I haven't actually gotten it so I don't know if there's a catch, but the wiki says it reduces physical and magical damage by 100. It doesn't seem like there would be any reason to make a Cloudstone shield.

it is worth a trophy after all

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006

vertiginominal posted:

I was under the impression that fire damage wasn't magic damage, which could be problematic in specific instances. It's also a smaller shield, which holds disadvantages against some enemies who will all but ignore your shield if it's anything less than a large shield. The red eyed knight in 1-1 that causes nightmares can be pretty handily taken care of at soul level 15 with a large shield and a spear.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Whorehey posted:

I was under the impression that fire damage wasn't magic damage, which could be problematic in specific instances. It's also a smaller shield, which holds disadvantages against some enemies who will all but ignore your shield if it's anything less than a large shield. The red eyed knight in 1-1 that causes nightmares can be pretty handily taken care of at soul level 15 with a large shield and a spear.

The wiki lists its fire defense as 70, which is good enough for me. I don't think it's the smaller shield itself that causes problems with certain enemies, but the hitres of the shield, which can be increased through upgrades or simply ignored by increasing your stamina. Regardless, if you're a brute you're probably going to take a large shield and if you're a nimble character you're probably going to take a lighter shield.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Jesus christ that fight against Tower Knight was intense. Every time I'd knock him down he fell in such a way so that I was pinned between his shield and a wall.I just had to wait for him to get up so that I could go back to chipping away at his health. Finally felling him after 15 minutes of frantic dodging, rolling and munching grass was a relief. I'm glad I killed him on my first attempt too, I didn't notice any shortcuts in 1-2.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

vertiginominal posted:

Lack of strength, weight of the shield, and you might not have enough Colorless Souls to upgrade it depending on what you're using them for.

And yeah, Cloudstone for the trophy.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Sunday Punch posted:

Jesus christ that fight against Tower Knight was intense. Every time I'd knock him down he fell in such a way so that I was pinned between his shield and a wall.I just had to wait for him to get up so that I could go back to chipping away at his health. Finally felling him after 15 minutes of frantic dodging, rolling and munching grass was a relief. I'm glad I killed him on my first attempt too, I didn't notice any shortcuts in 1-2.
The shortcut in 1-2 is running. There's that long-cut underground with the dogs, but once you know the area you can clear down to the end in one or two minutes at most. Run by the mini-phalanx, ignore the guys on the first tower, run the second stretch (take out the archers), ignore the guys on that tower too, then run the last stretch. Very quick, and great for farming grass later.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Reading through this thread has made me want this game and a PS3 really badly. You guys are satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

vertiginominal posted:

Dark Silver shield has very low hit res. It will fully block any attack yeah, but it will chew through your stamina quickly.

• Locked thread