Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

ActionPlatypus posted:

I must admit, this game has had my interest piqued since the moment the first topic was made. I love the look of it, and from the rest of the goons have been saying, it's a solid game. Been seriously considering ordering it soon. I do have a question, though: Does the game start bone-crushingly hard, or does it sort of rise in difficulty gradually, but that difficulty is higher than most games?

If you're extremely cautious, move slowly while really taking in your surroundings and make sure to never underestimate even the simplest of enemies, then the difficulty ramps up nicely... until New Game+. If you try to play it like any other action game, you'll get destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Just chiming in to say that any brave mages should give firestorm a try against bosses. It uses a ton of mana, you have to be really close and you're open to attack for quite a bit, but man is the damage worth it. I threw two at the 4-2 boss and he was a down to a sliver of health. Beat rolling around shooting soul light at him only to die when I got jammed into a corner.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Industrial posted:

Patches the Hyena? He doesn't sell them.

There's a vendor down and behind where patches is in 2-2.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

ImpactVector posted:

Thanks Policenaut. I'm just starting to get to the point in my fighting ability where I don't die every five minutes so I figured that if a new character was in order, now might be a good time (currently SL 30).

I might try out some of the multiplayer aspects of the game tonight. Any advice for that?

If you feel your game lag for a moment and you're not in spirit form, you're being invaded. It'll take a minute or so, so use that time to prepare. On the flip side, be very careful of ambushes when invading. Treat every corner as a threat. Item's like the thief ring do work during PVP, and likewise any spell effects on your character (like mana regen from the crescent falchion) will be visible to another player.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

And just to add, the game is as diverse as you want it do be. Want to never upgrade your armor and switch weapons as you find them? Sure thing. Want to explore the many upgrade paths each weapon has to offer? You can do that too. You can beat the game with your starting equipment without exploring even a third of the landscape, or you can really dig in. Is it a system seller? I don't think so, but I can tell you I've put 35-40 hours into it already and I can't wait to beat the game a second time so I can start on the third.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

So I may be shooting in the dark here, but I thought I'd ask regardless. I'm waiting until I get the sword of searching before I try for Pure Darkmoonstone again, but I do remember the last time I looked at the upgrade window for my +4 katana that the magic parameter would change from "A" at +4 to... "A" at +5. The "A" was highlighted in blue, meaning it was an actual increase, but the letter stayed the same. Is this simply a display bug and it will actually upgrade to "S", or are there actually tiers within each letter?

I ask because I'm thinking of tracking down the Phosphorescent Pole and pumping it full of colorless souls to get the magic parameter to "S". If the sword does actually upgrade to an "S" parameter, then it becomes more a matter of weapon attack speed. If the sword stays at "A", I think the pole would be more powerful for a magic user.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Hamburger Test posted:

I'm fairly sure there are several levels within each grade. You should be able to see the attack bonus change when you're looking at the upgrade window if it's a higher level of A. (Press square while talking to Ed)

I have that exact weapon on my noble and went and got the phosphorecent pole seeing that it would upgrade all the way to S; meanwhile hoping the attack speed would be better than other pole arms, it's not. All in all I find the pole arm inferior in most aspects. Also keep in mind the base magic and physical damage on your upgraded uchigatana is actually a lot higher than that on the pole.

I can see the change in grade. The letter is blue, indicating an upgrade, though it says it is upgrading from "A" to "A". Yes, the magic bonus does increase, but I was confused that it wasn't jumping to "S". I'm going on memory, but I believe the pole has higher base damage than the Uchigatana would at +5. I could be wrong about that. Still, if the speed is that bad then I won't bother.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Is that his level of skill or did he make the video to show that it was possible to button mash your way to victory?

He was just plain awful.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

I finally, FINALLY got a piece of pure darkmoonstone. I think the easiest way is to use the gecko behind through the secret doorway in 4-2. Kill the skeleton, run up the hill and try to kill the gecko. If it runs off the cliff, and he loving will because this game hates you, or he doesn't drop it, immediately quit out of the game. When you reload, you'll be above where the gecko spawns and he'll be in his normal place just sitting there. If you kill him and he doesn't drop a pure piece, quickly quit out and try again.

Darkmoonstone is so goddamn rare that cheating the save system was the only way I could stay sane trying to get it. I suggest everyone do the same.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Tortolia posted:

Does Patches drop anything interesting if you assassinate him in the Nexus? I somehow managed to hit him then backstab him, and he disintegrated in mid-air and I couldn't loot him. :downs:

I haven't done it, but I'm pretty sure he's part of the assassination quest.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Whorehey posted:

I was under the impression that fire damage wasn't magic damage, which could be problematic in specific instances. It's also a smaller shield, which holds disadvantages against some enemies who will all but ignore your shield if it's anything less than a large shield. The red eyed knight in 1-1 that causes nightmares can be pretty handily taken care of at soul level 15 with a large shield and a spear.

The wiki lists its fire defense as 70, which is good enough for me. I don't think it's the smaller shield itself that causes problems with certain enemies, but the hitres of the shield, which can be increased through upgrades or simply ignored by increasing your stamina. Regardless, if you're a brute you're probably going to take a large shield and if you're a nimble character you're probably going to take a lighter shield.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

What about the kris knife? Did you stop using it at some point?

Yeah, the upgraded kris knife is ridiculous. Mine is only at +2 and it's insane what it can do. For example, when facing the red-eyed skeletons in 4-x on NG+, my flame thrower does 98 damage without the kris. With it equipped, the damage pushes 260-270.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Policenaut posted:

God drat, I am just terrible at PvP unless it's the 3-3 Old Monk battle where I can cheap out victories. Does anyone have any general advice they could give? Fuzz, I'm looking at you.

I'm mainly just trying to get to Black Character Tendancy so I can get the Mephistopheles Quest Line and kill Yuria so I can get the Foe's Ring (one of 3 rings I need to get the Trophy) but any attempt I make to play PvP in a wild setting end terribly. It's either "Die from the dragon", "enemy summons 2 other phantoms", "enemy somehow can use that Firestorm spell 5 times in a row" or "Holy gently caress that North Regalia killed me in one hit." In the past 10 attempts I only won once, and that was to a Fluted Armor wearing Knight who had a Dozer Axe and rolled around aimlessly.

I'm wearing Dark Silver Helm and Armor with Gloom Greaves and Gloves. Using Blueblood Sword, Kris Knife, defending with a +5 Adjucator's Shield and casting with a Talisman of Beasts. Soul level 114 with everything above 20 (focuses on Vit, Endur, and Luck)

What should I be doing? I'm about 4 Equip points from being able to equip a Ring of Great Strength and doing Noble-esque rolls.

If you have the opportunity, mess with the environment. Move enemies around with soul remains, drop items in places where you can hide nearby, etc. You're already at a disadvantage when you invade, so play dirty. Thief ring, hide spell and one other ring (subdue soul? I forget what it's called or if there's only another ring for blue phantoms) will make you nearly invisible before your first strike.

I would assume the anti-magic field would stop firestorm, but I don't know if it affects miracles. If not, rage of god would break through. Not that cutting off your own casting is a good thing, but it's one way to deal with it.

Other than that, if you're fighting straight up you're probably fighting the lag more than the player, which has been my experience. I've shot soul lights that clearly hit but registered no damage, probably because the player was no longer actually in that spot. I wait for the other player to end a roll, miss an attack, change direction or something where he's standing still momentarily before firing off a spell. It's annoying.

If you jump into a game with 3 dudes blasting moving soul arrows right as you spawn in, you're hosed. You're only going to win if they screw up. Your best hope for success is to land in a game that has progressed a bit, which gives you time to move around and set up.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Games like this make sitting through a work day really, really hard.

A few nights ago when I was trying to farm crystal geckos, I must have said "gently caress you, game!" one too many times, because my girlfriend finally said, "Why do you play this game?"

The only response I could think of was, "Because I can't let the game win."

gently caress you, game.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm assuming that's what he means. I'd note that if you have the Lava Bow, 3 shots with just basic wooden arrows are enough to take out the reaper, and if you sprint from the archstone to the sniping spot, you can get off 3 shots well before any of the see-through enemies get close to you -- makes it a lot faster to farm this spot.

So having created the Scraping Spear, I'm a little disappointed with how it seems to be useful mostly for being a dick in PvP. Seems like I would have ended up with something more useful for regular gameplay if I had just kept upgrading the winged spear.

But having spent my winged spear on the Scraping Spear, what's my next best option for getting another spear and building it up into something powerful? If I'm at 1-3 by now, is the merchant in 1-2 still around (which I ask because the merchant in 1-1 appeared to disappear once I beat 1-1), so I can buy a short spear off of him, which I can build up into a Crescent Short Spear? Is there some better option? Should I be farming lancers in 1-1 in hopes that one drops a new Winged Spear (which the Wiki suggests they will, although I've never gotten one to date)?

Edit: And this is a dumb question I should probably know the answer to, but when the bonus stats for the Crescent Short Spear are listed as "E/E/C/-" that means I'm getting a bonus from all three of the first stats combined, right? That is, I'm getting something for strength, something for dexterity, and also something for magic, right? If so, that looks like it's going to be a much more formidable weapon than my scraping spear, even if I'm using a short spear rather than a winged spear.

Crescent is -/-/A/-. E/E/C/- is moon. I haven't yet made +5 in both categories to directly compare which is better for magic users, but with 42 magic I think the difference would be negligible, which gives crescent the edge since it adds passive MP regen. Regardless, crescent should outpace moon when your magic skill gets in the 60 range.

The most powerful weapon you can make crescent is the Uchigatana. If you absolutely must have a spear, the Phosphorescent Pole, which can be found in 3-1 from the locked-in phantom, might be worth looking into.

If you're not a high magic stat character, I'd go moon or track down the Phosphorescent Pole if you like the idea of a boost from magic. Otherwise there are better options.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Nick Biped posted:

One question about 1-1: one pathway went towards a long bridge with a black-cloaked enemy on it. I chickened out of fighting it for now, but what was that? It seems like it was optional, since I beat the stage without needing to go past it.

It leads to a door you can't open yet (you get a key from Ostrava, the guy wandering around 1-1) with a boss fight behind said door. That enemy is a red-eyed knight, and he will likely destroy you at this point in the game. Play a few levels, gain some confidence and then give 'em a go. They show up a lot in 1-3 and 1-4 and are still a pain then. Early in the game it's just another way for you to die from curiosity.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

TheQat posted:

The red souls show you how a person died in that area. Sometimes this can be useful for predicting what's coming up, but early on it's just as often some dumbass running right off a high ledge.

Blood spots high up in the Nexus are my favorite. Can't get too cocky running down those steps.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Thievery posted:

Reading the two threads on this game and seeing nothing negative aside from "It's HARD!" made me order the game. Is there anything specific aside from "You'll die a lot" that I should know before going for it? Not that I mind just going out and getting slaughtered.

Play carefully. Every corner brings potential doom. Get out of the mindset that you can run around care free, taking a couple hits if you get caught off guard. Getting caught off guard will kill you. Underestimating weak enemies will kill you. And so on.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Fumaofthelake posted:

Thinking about picking this up (even though I don't own a PS3) and I wanted to know if there is any downside to not playing online? Other than missing patches or whatever will I lose any functionality? How does the Black Phantom boss work if no one can invade you? Can I even play this thing offline?

Like I said, I don't own the game or a PS3 so please forgive me if my questions are dumb as a bag of dicks.

Offline, you won't see random blood spots where others died, hint messages from other players or white ghost images of recent players' actions, and you won't be able to invade or be invaded by other players. Offline is nice for farming, since world tendency won't revert to neutral when you're not online, but the game does feel a bit lonely when you're not online.

The 3-3 (black phantom) boss will just be computer controlled like any other boss.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Okay, I've got a question about Crystal Geckos in relation to the Wiki.

It mentions that if you miss out on a Crystal Gecko, you can "load the game" and regain the 1 instance of its appearance for another try (presumably indefinitely) but I have no idea what this means. Does this mean "immediately turn off your PS3 and turn it back on" or something? I just don't want to miss out on Pure Moonlightstone again

That's exactly what it means. It's possible to burn through all your gecko spawns and then never be able to get them back until you beat the game and start over. If you kill a gecko and it doesn't drop what you want, immediately quit out of the game and reload. It takes awhile and it sucks, but it's your best bet at getting what you want.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Policenaut posted:

So, just to make sure, I hit the PS Button and Quit Game from the XMB right? Without hitting X to confirm the item pick up? I'm just trying to get this down pat before I start hunting Crystal Geckos in 3-2 again

You can confirm the item pickup, but it's faster if you don't. Speed in quitting is more important than what you do in game. The point is to quit out before the auto save saves your status. As soon as you see a drop you don't want, quit game from the XMB. You'll probably spawn in a weird spot near the gecko, but the point is the gecko will be there for you to kill again.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Vallens posted:

I found the best tactic for her was to keep your shield up, then run in circles around her.

If she starts backing away from you, generally she is going to whip out her crossbow. Let her and dodge the shot. You'll have a few seconds to attack as she is reloading. If you are fast enough you can get in and backstab her.

Yep, your shield is your best friend. It's unlikely she'll be able to break your block, so make sure you don't expose yourself too long while attacking and you should be fine. If you have a ranged attack, just trade blows from a distance.

Edit: Also, a lot of the rocks in the area make excellent shields. Some of them are only waste high, but her arrows will still bounce off them. I don't use a bow, so I don't know if you can shoot over them or if there is some invisible wall. Might be a good way to cheese her.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Is the Firespray spell ever good for anything? I just bought it and I think I'm regretting it a little, as it does maybe 70 damage with the kris and ring of magical sharpness. The firerate's kinda nice, but it doesn't seem to ever break enemy blocks like the other attacks do.

You can move while firing and it fires quickly. I don't find it very useful against regular enemies, but it has its uses in PVP. If you shoot at someone, sometimes they'll stop moving and just let their shield absorb the small amounts of damage. Stop firing and just stand there, and dumber players will think you're out of mana and charge. Switch to a better spell and let 'em have it.

I don't think it's worth carrying around, but it's not entirely useless.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yeah, this is a good question, and I don't know that anybody has sat down to work it out yet. From what I can tell, there seem to be levels of AddedParam beyond just the letter grades -- that is, you can upgrade a Weapon with an "A" AddedParam to a better "A" AddedParam -- the shows up blue and the damages bonus increases, but the letter stays at "A" rather than upgrading to "S." Not sure how many levels of gradation there are with that.

My basic thought has been that letters act as a range. So if A represents a damage boost based on 201-300 percent of a given skill (I'm just making these numbers up), then S represents a 301-400 percent boost. If upgrading from +3 to +4 increases the percentage from 240 to 260, you're still within the A range, but the power is still increased. That's a bit different than hard and fast tiers.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

Quick question about New Game+. Does the fact that I have the 2-1 Blacksmith the Flamelurker soul carry over to the New Game+, and therefore I can use boss souls to craft weapons right away, or do I have to give him Flamelurker's soul again in the New Game+ to get that option?

You have to give it to him again. And you have to rescue Freke again. And Yuria. Stupid game.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

sclark13 posted:

I'm guessing its better to not wear armor since most things kill you in one hit anyways.

No, it makes a difference. Even if you're getting hit brutally hard, there's a difference between dying and surviving with 1% health.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I'd contest the control stuff to an extent. They work, but I will stand by my opinion that the lock-on system is horrible. Nothing's more loving frustrating than to try to lock on to something only to lock on to something else way behind it or elsewhere. Or figuring out which direction the camera has to be in order to get a lock on.

It's very sporadic. In 5-1, you run up the stairs, past the trap in the first keep thing and the archer that shoots at you when you take that pathway down. If you try to lock on to that archer and there's a manta around on your screen, you will lock on to that instead. Yet, I cannot lock on to that black skeleton past the secret passage in 5-2 from the same distance and my camera is pointing right at him.

I also think the camera is a bit crap at times too. Lock on to the Flamelurker and dodging around him. Get to close to the sides and those bones and pillars will block your view half the time. I really wish they'd hollow out (you know, like in every other game) if you step in front of them.

The lock on system is far from perfect, I agree. It's range seems to change based on the size of the enemy, and randomly locking onto a giant ray flying behind you is annoying. I think this becomes an even larger issue if you're not using the thief ring. With the thief ring, your lock on range and an enemy's aggro range are pretty much the same. It's sort of odd, because it seems like a bit of a gaff, but the thief ring (have I said that enough?) is so goddamn useful that I rarely don't use it. The lock on never annoys me during boss fights and I can get close enough to normal enemies with the thief ring that it isn't a problem. It's circumventing the problem, but it gives you other advantages as well. It's just weird.

As far as the camera, yeah, it has its moments. It has its moments in pretty much any game, so I'm willing to deal with getting mad at it occasionally.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

I've been running 4-2's first reaper, was just making sure there wasn't something I could be doing to get the souls to come in faster. I get 6k souls for firing 6 arrows, so it's all good.

Running the last reaper and three black skeletons (pure black) at the end of 4-2 is the fastest way, but you'll need soul sucker. The first reaper is best until then.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Fuzz posted:

4-3 on pure black with the Stormbringer is the fastest, hands down. They die in one swing, it's nigh impossible to die, a run takes about 30-60 seconds if you're good, and with both the ring and the bracelet on black tendency you're netting 40k/run.

I make somewhere in the neighborhood of 140-150k a run doing the the end of 4-2 backwards. Which is more efficient? I don't know. It feels like 4-2 is. If you don't have soul sucker I still feel the first reaper is faster, but it doesn't hurt to mix it up just to keep from getting too bored.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Is that on a regular game or NG+? I don't know the numbers for NG+, I was talking about a first run game. Those numbers seem pretty ridiculous if they're regular and not NG+, though.

NG+. I'd imagine you get between 70-80k in 4-3 in NG+? Rays are worth about 5k at pure black, but I don't remember how many of them there are. Besides, I can't kill a ray with one stormbringer shot and have to use soul light, which I just find annoying.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

Stormbringer's attack on 4-3 doesn't scale up with the tougher enemies in NG+, does it? That makes the 4-3 boss a pain, I bet.

First time I fought Stormbringer, he didn't come down until I cleared all the rays. In NG+, he came down while there were still a lot of rays floating about. That made it a pain.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Tortolia posted:

No, but you've only got to kill a handful of enemies.

Go into the first Reaper room, and instead of fighting it, just drop down and turn around. Kill the skeletons on the cliff - if you've got the Thief Ring on you can basically take them out from a distance. Go ahead, take out the gold skeletons, then go inside.

In the second reaper room you can either try to kill the first shadowlurker on the staircase, or you can roll your way past him and keep running. When you hit the next landing run past the shadowlurker, ignore the second reaper, and keep moving. The mantas on the second cliff won't see you with the thief ring, but there's nothing stopping you from running past anyway.

In the third reaper room, kill the shadowlurker that's blocking your path, then get full stamina, sprint forward and run past the shadowlurker and reaper - they won't be able to hit you in time.

Now just avoid falling in the slug nest and you're ready to fight the boss.

Perhaps you're just luckier than I am. I could never get past the third reaper without getting hit. I tried it twice, and both times I got blasted in the back by his magic bolt of death. The rest of the stage, no problem. That guy? Huge prick.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Thievery posted:

I don't know if this will help or not but on my first time through the level, I looked around for the third reaper and then basically ran into him as he's in that alcove, and got killed (Took him out but got hit by a shadowman just before it died). So the second time, I sprinted all the way down, ran behind him and hit him about 4 times and he died. Obviously this kills the shadowmen and makes him unable to get you from behind, it might take you all of a few seconds longer but it's better than having to re run the whole level :)

It's not a problem. I've long since gotten past that point, and I was just trying to get to the boss on NG+ as quickly as possible. I usually just run up to the corner and cast firestorm, which takes him down quickly. It was just annoying that when I just wanted to blitz through the stage he kept shooting me in the back.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Tortolia posted:

See, all the times I've run past him I've had no problems with taking shots in the back - I'd just sprint for the stairs, and when I started getting down towards the bend in the path I'd start rolling. I think once I heard a soul arrow being fired but it didn't come close to hitting me.

By contrast, whenever I'd try to run up and fight him I'd either get killed by the reaper himself or the laser fired by the shadow next to him.

I always got hit less than halfway down the steps. I could probably time a roll with enough practice, but I don't think I'll be playing through NG++ so it doesn't matter. Even then I'd just live with having to kill him. It just really annoyed me at the time, but then again that's what this game does best: annoy.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

hammeredspace posted:

Can anyone playing a Korean copy please reconfirm that it's in English? My brother got a Korean copy instead of Asian, like the importer promised, and my brother wants to double-check to make sure it's going to be in English before he unwraps it.

Someone in the old thread said they received a Korean version and it was, in fact, in English. I would double-check that, but I do remember the question being raised before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks. Did you (or anybody else) try Firestorm on him? At the moment it takes up all 3 of my spell slots, but it seems like it might be handy to have for this fight.

I can't speak from experience where Maneater is concerned, but firestorm is an awesome boss fight weapon. You leave yourself vulnerable for awhile, but if you time it correctly and are powerful enough you can take down a boss in 2-3 blasts. I tried this against the 4-2 boss in NG+ when I got tired of getting bashed through stone columns. I was amazed at how quickly I was able to kill him.

Long story short, if you can time it correctly, firestorm can be devastating.

• Locked thread