Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
So I've been playing as hybrid mage/fighter, and I was wondering how to get the most out of my magic damage. I did a little testing, and here are the results and my conclusions.

I used firespray and Soullight, and tested on the dregling warriors at the beginning of 1-1

With 21 Magic:

Normal: 61 Firespray, 226 Soullight

W/ Kris +2: 74 Firespray, 267 Soullight

W/ Ring of Sharpness: 76 Firespray, 271 Soullight

W/ Both: 94 Firespray, 320 Soullight

With 22 Magic:

Normal: 62 Firespray, 228 Soullight

W/ Kris +2: 75 Firespray, 269 Soullight

W/ Ring of Sharpness: 77 Firespray, 274 Soullight

W/ Both: 95 Firespray, 323 Soullight

I wanted to also check the turban, but I haven't been able to get one yet. I try and go to 3-3 and use the black stone but I can't. Does it matter that I've already beaten the level?

So it looks like firespray does 3x your magic, minus any resistances, Soullight does 10x minus any resistance. The Kris adds about 20% to your magic attack, the ring adds %25 percent, and when you stack them it goes Damage*Ring*Kris, not damage*(Ring + Kris)

Also, if the normal damage w/ 22 magic against the gargoyles in 3-2 is 14 for firespray and 166 for soullight. Anyone want to try to invade my game to test it out? I feel like the multitude of different resistances make figuring this out rather difficult.

Also, can anybody reccommend a good weapon that has both magic and faith bonuses? The Crescent Falchion has been good to me so far, but I feel like I need a damage increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
So does One-time revival only work once per trip into a level, or only one EVER. The description is a little unclear, so can anyone weigh in on its worth?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
I just started NG+, and I'm not finding it that hard.

Maybe that's because I'm co-oping with crazy japanese guys and we're steamrolling the levels. I think I ended up beating 3 different levels with 6 different guys, and it was emasculating.

One of the guys was one-shotting everything with the cleaver and then went toe-to-toe with with the old hero.

Suprisingly, four of the six were women with beggar clothes, the magic turban and magic kryss. Everything dies in one soullight. Some BP's tried breaking in and they'd get hit with 15 moving soul arrows and die immediately.

Also, as an early warning to to BP's, you won't be able cast evacuate when someone tries to break in. I use the extra time to move behind their spawn and then run up and backstab them.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

tazman posted:

Ok, I'm just about to start on the path to getting colourless souls to upgrade my kris for some sweet sweet magic damage. What is the best place to farm for black tendency > kill the something demon then > farm black tendency again?

There's only one primevil demon in each world, and it doesn't respawn. Helpful hint: If you kill one and it doesn't drop something, immediately quit using the guide.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Oae Ui posted:

I found the red phantom pretty easy to deal with as a thief. With the thief ring equipped I'd wait for him to get a ways down the stairs, turn around and start heading back up. If I sprinted I could get close enough to do a backstab since the mind flayers turn around pretty slowly. If I missed the backstab I could stunlock him pretty easily with my dagger.

Heck, I always just booted him off the edge with a backstab. The thief ring is amazing. I wish there was a better combo to use besides Cling/Thief, but stick with what works.

In reference to what the above poster said, I started a dagger character for maximum backstab fun. I break into my first world, backstab the host and his two phantom buddies, and then... they have two thirds of their health left. What should I focus on for one hit kills? I had my eye on the fatal secret dagger, but from what I'm hearing it's no good.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
How do you use the soulsucker spell?

It's such short range, has a huge startup, and doesn't track. Even wearing the thief and graverobber rings, and casting hide, I can't get close enough to be able to hit with it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Anyone know where the broken sword is in 5-2? I feel like I've searched the whole level, but I can't find it. I don't really feel like grinding soldiers...

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

The Kris Knife in 2-1 claims to "boost magical ability". Does this mean it pumps up spell damage or is it just referring to the magic damage it does each swing?

It acts like a ring of magical sharpness that gets better as you upgrade it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Dizzybone posted:

I can't pinpoint it, but when you get down into the swamp go to the left toward the area where the Black Phantom patrols. You can see items in the distance pretty easily and it's around there, maybe at the border of the swamp.

Thanks for the help.

I wish it was easier to find people to coop with. I'm trying to get world 3 white, but nobody ever appears to drop their blue stones. Anyone around soul level 58 want to help me clear world 3-2 and on?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
So I was trying to turn 3-1 white, entering and exiting to see if I oculd find any blue phantoms to rescue. I get invaded by a guy with a name like penchu, who runs up to me and firestorms me, which knocks me off the ledge. I chalk this up to bad luck, use a stone, and continue my search. This guy breaks in again and the same thing happens.

I use another stone, and this guy breaks in again! This time I bait his spell, then manage to knock him off the ledge. He breaks in again, and I knock him off the ledge again. He breaks in a third time, tries the same thing, and one of the blue phantoms I finally summoned backstabs him. We go on to finish the level, and world 3 has been turned white. Thanks dude!

About an hour later, I'm farming the reaper to be able to use the blueblood sword when my best friend shows up! He still is only using firestorm, and I wait outside on the cliff with the skeletons. I shoot a soul light at him, and he rolls off the level!

So in short, this guy manages to lose three soul levels in the course of and hour. Unfortunately, my pvp experiences are not usually this much fun. I'm either practically one-shotting people or not even scratching them. I think they increased the level range to much.

Also, the two black phantom royals in 1-3 are dicks. I won't ruin it anymore then that if you haven't experienced it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

tazman posted:

If you are invading the world as a black phantom, what can you do to increase your hide ability besides a thief ring and the hide spell? While farming for reapers a BP invaded, ran behind me and didnt materialise in my vision until his spear was sticking through my stomach. I would LOVE to be that invisible when I invade others.

IIRC, you can stack the graverobber ring, subdue soul, and blueblood sword onto the hide spell and thief ring.

I finally managed to get enough Will for the Thirst spell (200 mp and 3 slots, yikes), and it seems like it was made for farming reapers. It's only active for the same 40 seconds all other buffs are, but it gives you a ton of souls. With all three soul boosting things, you get more then double the normal amount.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
What's your guy's thoughts on Blind, the sword you pick up from BP Selena? It's speed and the fact it goes through shields have me intriguied, as well as the fact I can stack cursed weapon on it. I've been saving up some colorless demon souls, should I use them?

Also, that fight with Selena is a bitch and a half. It makes me wonder though, if you invade 5-2 can you freely move through the muck like all the enemies? Level 5 is the only one I've never had someone try and break in, which is odd because it is one of the easiest ones to die in.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Was just about to post that I shouldn't be playing this first thing in the morning and found that. I just let one murderous jackass out of his cage and hopefully won't be this dense for the rest of the area.

e: How much can I stack +souls/kill? I just got the ring of avarice and have had the silver bracelet for ages, but can I equip an other ring for more souls or some other item?

For souls, the most you can stack is Silver Bracelet, Ring of Avarice, and the Thirst spell. It practically triples the souls recieved, and can be doubled by Soulsucker. If you farm the 4-2 pure black skeleton, you can get something crazy like 150k souls per run in NG+.

As for beating scriver, I just cheesed him with my bow from the ledge across from his cave. I don't think he tried to do anything but run around occasionally and heal. I reccommend getting the lava bow first though, for that extra bit of stunlock.

Edit: I don't believe you can ever stack two of the same type of item (Averice, thief rings etc)

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
So I'm minding my own business in 1-4 and forgot that I'm in my body, when I get invaded.

I think there is something funny, because the BP is almost dead and he just entered the level. I'm at full health and he's dual weilding, so I rush in for the quick kill. Thanks to the wonders of the netcode I swing, and then fall over dead. The jerk took me down from 800 health in one swing.

I then realize he's probably rocking the foe ring, Clever Rat Ring, Morian Blade, and Cursed weapon in addition to his big gently caress-off sword. This is goddamn brilliant, and I immediately steal his bit and proceed to murder half of Bolteria.

People just run straight at you, sword swinging, when they think you're that close to death. I switched in Re-raise, just for a bit of a safety net, and I was still cleaning house. I heartily recommend everyone try it at least once.

Also, do other people find lots of blue soul marks while they're in body form? I barely ever see any, but I get invaded all the time.

Edit: You can use the Mausoleum Key in 1-1, behind the red eye knight. Old King Doran is there, if you smack him around a little bit you can take the demonbrand sword, and if you kill him you get the best male-only light armor and a stamina regen ring

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Does anyone know some apparent ways to guarantee White Character Tendancy?

I only have one remaining ring, the Friend's Ring, but I can't for the life of me get any White Character Tendancy. The Wiki even seems to be confused on what BP NPCs actually count towards it (I've killed all of them except Ostrava and I think only Satsuki gave me a bump) and I find it almost impossible to find someone who can summon me so I can at least pretend to help before I kill myself to get the Tendancy.

You can also cast ressurection when you summon blues, it's pretty easy.

I managed to get the Rogue's trophy on a character without the friend ring, so I dunno if it is necessary. I did have a friend ring on another character, but never all the rings on one person. Either you don't need it, or the collect-a-thon trophies are over the whole account.

On a completely different note, Black Phantoms would be so much better if they spawned ahead of the host, instead of behind. The way it is now everyone just waits for the phantom to show up, without giving him a chance for mischief.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
So all the heavier armors say something to the effect of "Stamina regeneration is slowed"

I did some testing, and I didn't notice any difference between wearing light armor or heavy armor when equip weight is less then 50%. Is this another poor translation?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Don't have Death Cloud. :smith:

I need help beating 1-4 at SL 82, but no one is on IRC. :smithicide:

I found the best way to beat Doran was with projectiles and a thief ring, since one hit and you're basically dead. Lure him out by the catapults, and either lock-on bow him or use soul light. He won't heal if he's too far from his spawn, and will instead try and walk back.

If you still need help on 1-4, I've got a guy who is SL 112 who I don't mind de-leveling.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Thievery posted:

Out of interest how do you de-level, or is it just a case of being hit by soulsucker over and over?

If you die as a BP to anything that is not a player (Falling, Dragon fire, etc), you lose one point from your highest attribute. You also lose it if the host enters the boss fight before you kill him, which is a pain.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Feenix posted:

ok I'm kindof dead-ending at 2-1...

I've kinda ran around. Killed (and died) to lots of stuff. I've activated that first shortcut (the pulley elevator) near the Archstone, but I get to like where that one magic fireball guy is in the big underground room and I see there's an Examine Body glow near him but I can;t get to it. Also just past the 2 guys throwing rocks from the rooftop (near the beginning of the level) there's another pulley-elevator, but I don't know how to activate it (if it is to be activated, that is) or where I need to go now... Just generally at a dead end.

The pully elevator is activated right on the other side of the wall, walk around near the exit to to elevator and you should see it, it kind of blends in.

To get to the Royal in the big room just walk on the remaining beam. Most of the walkway falls away, but a beam remains. The glow is only a soul or something lame like that, so no big deal.

The place you need to go is right up from the start level shortcut, by where the 3 lizard dudes with hot pokers are. You should see a fog door near them. If you reach the lava, you've gone to far.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Feenix posted:

Yeah I went thru that fog door but I'm still kinda stuck overall as to where to go next...

It's pretty straightforward from there.

You leave the tunnel, turn right and break some barrels, drop down behind the mob of enemies, run up the wooden platform towards the salamanders, go down the other side and deal with the dogs, keep following the wooden platform to the miners, murder them all, and turn the switch to turn on the water, cooling the lava.

...I swear it's easier then I'm making it sound, you can't get lost since there is only 1 path.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Feenix posted:

yeah ok I suck balls. How do I not suck balls? I don't have enough whatever to get a bow and arrow so i can't take on the Dragon mini boss of 1-2, so I go to 2-1 and get raped by the Spider. I'm just not sure where I should be or what I should be doing. I'm a magician at Soul Level 15. I have a ton of melee weaponry that doesn't work for me (yet) have found no armor whatsoever aside from the helmet. The 75% soul HP ring is good. I have 3 magic spells, Flamethrower, Soul Arrow and Hide. (oh and Water shield whatever..)

I'm just not sure where the hell I should be going in order to progress even remotely decently.

I'm having fun, but it's also loving frustrating. I've died over 100 times in the 2 days I've turned this game on.
:\

Just soul arrow the spider to death, using that kryss you picked up and the ring of magical sharpness to add to your damage. The goal is to be far enough down the tunnel that his 3 fireball bursts don't hit you, but your arrow hits him.

And the run to armor spider isn't that bad, you go up the lift, over the lava, and then all you have to worry about is one royal.

Also, I HIGHLY reccommend getting the crescent falchion in 4-1, it is a godsend as a magic user. All you need is a club and decent shield.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
If you're getting frustrated go do some other levels. I ransacked all the x - 1 levels before I beat any of there bosses, and you get some nice loot and levels to make things easier.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Feenix posted:

AHAHAHA... I got past that part, walked up. Saw 2 minecarts roll up with glowy poo poo and was like.. OOOHHHH TREASURE!

umm... HAHAHHAA

Real Demons Souls starts now.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Feenix posted:

I found like a BattleAxe of Crushing. (Axe+1) And I cannot have whatsisface upgrade it. If I buy a standard axe, can THAT be upgraded past +1?

You need to have the other whatsisface (Ed) upgrade it. He's in level 2-1 at the very start. Run up to the shortcut and fall down to the bottom of it. Ed is chillin' there, waiting for whippersnappers like you to bother him.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Policenaut posted:

While I'm waiting for Unknown_PC, does anyone else have a +5 Sharp weapon and a Friend's Ring they could lend out for five minutes? I'm two trophies away from Platinum and after like 170 hours, I can't be damned to make a new character just to get the Friend's Ring or grind anymore for the Pure Bladestone.

I've got a friends ring at SL 112 and 172, whichever you prefer. I'm in the same boat with regards to sharp unfortunately.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Oh, good! You wouldn't mind lending me a Friend's Ring for a few minutes then? I have a character at SL 110 so it won't be too hard (presumably) to find you, I just started NG+ with it so I could easily find an unfinished world and get you into it. I'm thinking 2-1. What's your PSN so I know what name to look out for.

HackanSlash, let me know where you want me to drop my mark. By the primevil spawn?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Well, thank you Hackan Slash for your time :)

Unfortunately it appears that the whole "Trophy will count across the board" that I've been told was wrong. Rogue's Trophy didn't unlock and it was rather annoying to see that, now I have no clue how to get my SL MAX character a Friend's Ring.

That's odd, because I got the rogue trophy without having the friend ring on my main character. Did you go through the list on the wiki? I always forget the cat ring.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I just checked it out on the Wiki with every Ring I had, I deposited and unequipped them all just in case I'd missed one and it came out to that the only ring I was missing was Friend's Ring. Every other ring (aside from Great Strength and Eternal Warrior) had more than 1 present.

So yeah, Friend's Ring is literally the only ring I'm missing and I have every one of them on my SL MAX character except it. The only solution now I could think of is either A: Find another person at Soul Level 712 willing to give me one for five minutes or B: Someone lends me one of each of the 26 kinds of ring on the character I sent to meet you.

What are you missing on that 110 guy? On my 112 I have everything except cat and foe.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Istarelle does magic damage, so it can't have an added effect, just like a Crescent weapon or the Blueblood sword. Makoto has an added Bleed parameter to it, so it's already enchanted.

It's not random at all, look at the stats of the actual weapons. Anything that already does either magic damage or one of the 4 status effects automatically will not be able to be buffed with Turpentine or Sticky White Stuff. It's pretty straightforward.

But you can buff the BlueBlood and cleaver, which do magic damage, so there goes that theory...

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Fuzz posted:

It's not really that huge, it's just along the bottom saying "So and so has invaded your world" or something like that. I'm usually the one doing the invading, not the other way around. :colbert:

Also, I finally got the Meat Cleaver and oh god it's so dirty. Also got my Dark Silver up to +5, and honestly... even the defense stat on it isn't that high... other than the 100/100, it's really not that great of a shield... fully upgraded it becomes pretty good, but I'd much rather use a Dark Heater or Dark Kite +5, because they have way better HitRes and much higher defense.

I'm thinking of making the Penetrating Sword my next unique upgrade... that or I guess maybe the White Bow, though i really don't use a bow very often. How well does the Penetrator scale when it goes up? The base damage isn't particularly spectacular, but it's got much better stat ratings than my Blueblood, which is really feeling gimpy lately.

I don't really like the penetrator, since only the stat upgrades increase and that isn't enough to make it worthwhile compared to the bluebloods 110 higher base damage.

If you're upgrading a magic user, the Kris and Pole are far and away the best, it's the only thing to get an S for magic stats.

If you're going melee, there is not really a whole lot worthwhile to upgrade so the penetrating sword is alright I guess. Maybe go for Brand for comedies sake. Blind is awesome for being a jerk in pvp but sucks in pve.

Most of the good ones to upgrade are faith based.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Sunday Punch posted:

. I just crafted the Morion Blade and was really disappointed in how weak it is, 210 damage with no special effects and NO addedparam, AND it's got the (slow) large sword attack animations? No thanks. Maybe one of the endgame weapons will be worth using, but for the foreseeable future I'm going to have to stick with the Cleaver.

Morion does have a special effect, it acts like a 2x Clever Rat Ring. Throw it in your off hand while using the Cleaver with a double grip, and if you're close to dead you'll basically one-shot anything.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Feenix posted:

FYI: The Meat Cleaver is amazing. It's like running around with an 8 foot Chef's Knife covered in blood. I'm ridiculously under-leveled in Strength to even wield it. (level 19 in Strength instead of 26 that it requires) and I'm taking off 90-100% of Enemies' healthbar in one two-handed overhand swing.

Can anyone help me figure out what penalty to damage I am getting right now being only Level 19 and two-handing it? And how much better the damage will be when I hit Level 26 Str?

You have no penalty if you two hand it. While two-handing it acts like you have 1.5x your strength in regards to weilding, damage etc. So your 19 strength is acting like 28 str. It's why bow requirements are silly, because you are required to use two hands.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

french lies posted:

That's my problem, I killed King Doran and now World 1 is in black tendency. I play offline since my Ps3 doesn't pick up the wireless router, so killing black phantoms is not an option either.

You could always go kill Executioner Miralda (sic) to raise the tendency.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
gently caress Yeah! I just finished up the Platinum trophy on the asian version. drat bladestone took forever. If anyone needs to borrow it, let me know

Now to start up the US edition. The strategy guide is suprisingly nice, it even has a "perfect run" guide.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
World tendency isn't a problem anymore, since there are finally people to invade. Once you get to black, white is easy with the NPC and Primevil Demon. I do feel kinda bad just decimating all these knights with polearms though...

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

While I've only beat a handful of levels (up to 1-3, 2-2, 3-2, 4-3, 5-1) and am at soul level... 50ish? I'm already considering making a new character, but this guy I want to try Black Phantoming with, what're some suggestions for buildig specifically towards PvP?

I was thinking maybe a lightly armored guy with a Baby Nail to do plague (because who keeps plague curing items on their quick-item bar) and/or a Scraping spear to screw up their armor. As well as using Thief's Ring and/or the Hide spell (do these stack?) to try to get the drop on people.

I have a feeling Black Phantoming is nothing but frustration, but I've learned a bit from the few I've fought so far. Namely "don't just rush in", bide your time and wait for them to lower their guard, of course, if they're smart enough to hunt you down...

Here are the things I've picked up from 100+ hours:

1. Always keep something long range on hand. People love to roll away and try and heal.
2. Thief ring is your friend, you become invisible rather close to them. Remember, they can still see effects like Crescent regen or One time revival.
3. Fast weapons the best, because you interrupt. Big gently caress off swords only work
with lag. Halberds and one handed swords are great.
4. Baby Nail isn't as great as you might think, it doesn't proc nearly enough. Save your colorless souls for the Kryss or Phosphorescent pole.
5. Don't fight them at the beginning if you can help it, try and find yourself some allies. Always run through doors, dudes love to camp them.

There is other things, but I think these are are most important ones.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Does the amount of souls required to level go up linearly or exponentially? Will I ever be seeing max stats?

You will never be seeing maxed stats. At SL 230 I take ~430k souls to level up.

Besides, you'd have nobody to invade. It's more fun to stay around level 20 with awesome gear.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Trash Heap posted:

I'm unclear on a couple things. Finally got the hang of combat a bit. Found thief's ring and clingers ring, and just beat a demon: phalanx plauge thingy. Anyways, I got a lead demon soul and a touch archstone action is available. This will take me back to the nexus. Do I go back to the nexus? I have ~3300 souls or whatever. It looks like I can proceed. Is this a checkpoint at all?

I need to go to sleep and unsure if I'll have to do all of this over again.

Yeah, that the end of 1-1, and a portal back to the nexus. Touch the archstone and go to bed.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm a bit curious about the different upgrade options. Namely the Bladed/Sharp upgrades.

If my stats are 15 STR, 35 DEX and unlikely to change any time soon, which of these would I get more damage out of:

Sharp Estoc+5: 120/0/0 damage, E/S/-/- Added Param
or
Estoc+10: 160/0/0 damage, D/C/-/- Added Param

I'm going to guess the Sharp Estoc, but I'm not really sure, either way they'd both be hard to get. I've no clue where to find a pure bladestone.

Don't bother with sharp, go with tearing. They give the exact same attack bonuses, the only difference is that tearing has innate bleed while sharpstone can be enchanted with Light/curse weapon.

Pure bladestone is the hardest item to get in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Tearing huh? Does that still let me use "Sticky White Stuff" to enchant the item with magic damage? I'm intending to use the weapon in PvP.

[edit] Can a rapier even be made tearing? The Wiki says it boosts bleed damage, not grants it. Most of the example items I see already did bleed to I think.

Nope, tearing can't be enchanted. If you're going to enchant though, I'd recommend the blueblood sword. It's the strongest weapon that can be enchanted.

And for the guy who's wondering how to get down in 3-2, just get in the cage yurt was in.

• Locked thread