Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Thanks for the continued Dark Souls updates. I am pretty loving excited. Any speculation on whether there will be an English version available to import like for DS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ineffiable posted:

Sometimes, when I fall off the cliff in 4-2 (near the beginning or by the black skeleton) I'll fall through the water and fall constantly for about 30 seconds before finally dying.

This happens to me all the time. Only in that level and around the areas you mention. One time I fell for well over a minute, and just before I was about to reset I finally died.

I've always heard of the double black phantom bug but have never experienced it personally. It would be awesome if it were to happen while invading someone whose got some blue phantoms up.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

doctor 7 posted:

Really? I've always done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 to 2-3 then back to finishing 1-3 and 1-4. Any reason for doing him last?

If you want to get the Talisman of Beasts from the Mephistopheles quests you'll want to save 1-4 until you are actually given the task of killing Ostrava. Seeing as how you have to off all the useful Nexus NPCs before getting to Ostrava it best to put it off until you're ready to start NG+.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Keep in mind Warding only protects against physical damage, magical damage is unaffected. This includes weapons like Moon, Crescent and Blessed types. If you have it, Second Chance is the better option. Otherwise ya, rolling is good.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
There is no limit, although I believe by the 9th NG+ the game will stop getting harder. The first NG+ is 40% harder, all subsequent ones are 7% harder. This affects both the health and damage of the enemies. Will there come a point where stats don't matter? I honestly don't think so. The furthest I've gone is 4 NG+s and this is with a character that I keep at level 125 and even still I wasn't being one shotted by everything (some things though). If you actually level your character as you go, I'd assume that you should have no problem with the higher NG+s. That felt confusing to write, is it confusing to read?

E: this is in relation to Bobnumerotres' post. Nice Dark Souls info.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Maultaschen posted:

I'm getting back into this game after a hiatus of a few months. My character is SL53 and Dex-heavy (29, with most other stats around 15-19). What's a good weapon for a Dex build? I just got a Tearing Uchigatana +2, and it seems like the Meat Cleaver could be useful as long as I can get my Str and/or End up.

Also, does farming ore as much as a pain as it seems? I'm not really looking forward to playing levels over and over in the hopes of a "Pure XStone" drop.

Hiltless does more damage than a +5 sharp and only requires colored demon souls. It's kinda tricky to use PvE because you don't wanna hit to many enemies at once, but with a regen ring and Adjudicator shield, its not to bad.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The best PvP mages I've seen usually use a combination of homing soul arrow and ignite. They bait you into dodging the soul arrow, then try to ignite where you roll too. It's pretty drat hard to do, but it also can be tough to counter. You need to make sure you get max damage from your spells to be effective. That means Ring of Magic Sharpness, Kris Blade +5, Monk's Headwrap, Insanity Catalyst and a Magic stat around 40-50. With this setup your ignite will hit extremely hard, usually breaking your opponent's second chance. If they get sloppy and get hit with your soul arrows, then punish them with an ignite and they should be about dead. Also keep in mind that the Kris blade can be a useful weapon, allowing you to backstab, then poison cloud. If you hit a guy with ignite and he's only got a sliver of health, start whacking him with the Kris blade rather than try for another ignite.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus crossbow damage is unaffected by your strength. That's my only real complaint with the game's weapons is that I wish they had it so intelligence upgraded crossbow damage or something.

If you feel like farming gargoyles in 3-2 they will eventually drop the Gargoyle Crossbow that scales with your magic stat with a B rating. Would be decent except that crossbows suck.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

notZaar posted:

The gargoyles only take you once? I evacuated out as soon as they grabbed me, how do I get back there?

The gargoyles will take you an unlimited amount of times, although after the first time there is a small delay before they take you. You have to hang around the altar until they come. This will give you enough time to grab the baby's nail if you didn't already.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Rexicon1 posted:

My favorite build in the game so far is the insanely overpowered Faith build using a +5 Blessed Mirdan Hammer. So the basic loadout is this. You want to get your endurance to 40 asap then try to level up your strength/vit/int until you get a decent Blessed Weapon (Blessed Mace +1 in 5-1 is a good place to start). Once you get a good blessed weapon start putting a bunch of points into Faith (don't neglect Vit/Str/Int though, they'll be important later). Once you get your faith high enough to start getting miracle slots, start getting the most important Miracles:
- Evacuation
- Cure/Antidote
- SECOND CHANCE

The first thing you should do once you beat 4-2 is run to Saint Urbain and grab Second Chance. Then get enough int to get the mana to cast it. It's a spell that you cast once and it basically gives you an extra life. If you lose all your health it heals you up to 1/2 of your current max HP. It's total bullshit in PvP and in PvE. (e: I would recommend build with the mana to cast second chance get it immediately as it is one of the most overpowered spells in the game)

The real oomph of this build comes from the fact that Faith scales really really well and you get incredible magic damage out of your Blessed Weapons. The Blessed Mirdan Hammer +5 while two-handing it has an attack pattern that is unbelievable and will murder most anything in PvP/PvE and not lock you into a long animation. Lots of people will be infuriated by this build due to how simple and effective it is. It's a great build for a beginner and I would absolutely try it if I were you.

For you if you want to really make an awesome Vitality/Endurance build I would recommend using the Northern Regalia when you beat the game the first time. It's damage is totally dependant on whether your character tendency is Pure Black or Pure White and so you can buff up your Vitality to insane levels. I don't know the wisdom in pumping too much into endurance simply because Stamina tops off at 160 at 40 End. The only reason you'd want to pump more points into Endurance would be to increase your Equippable weight so that you can do fast roll in a heavier armor (i.e. Dark Silver Armor to negate the fact that you have really low magic resistance).

I gotta wonder why you didn't mention one of the best perks of a Faith build. Blessed weapon +5, Adj. Shield +5 and Regen Ring will give you 16hp/sec. This is an amazing advantage and gives Blessed weapons a nice edge over Crescent and Moon types.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Rexicon1 posted:

I suppose for longer drawn out fights its alright, but that regen isn't one of the best things about the build. I've found the 16hp/s regen is great for pve though.

It can sometimes mean the difference between dying in 2, or 3 hits in PvP. I guess its not as great as in PvE, but when you consider all the usual PvP builds, its really the only thing going for it. As far as damage output goes, its bottom of the rung, overshadowed by crushing and sharp weapons, BBS, meat cleaver, DBS, etc. Plus, like you suggested, most faith builds rely on the mirdan hammer which people have actually figured out how to parry fairly reliably. All this only applies to standard sl120 Pvp, just in case that wasn't clear.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 14, 2011

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Rexicon1 posted:

Well, I know the burst damage isn't great for a faith build but the utility of all those miracles is super important. Plus it's easy to learn. In regards to the mirdan hammer parry, if you spam the same attack alot you'll get parried with any weapon I've found. You gotta make use of the running attack and the rolling attack as an opener which hopefully can lead to the lockdown R1 combo.

Still the DBS using bastards are the ones who consistently annihilate my rear end. But to each his own.

Ya know one thing I liked about my faith build was that you don't have to fill magic slots with light/cursed weapon, so you can take something cool like poison cloud. Also DBS users usually beat me pretty easily as well. I'm convinced the greatsword moveset is the best in game for PvP, but I'm so bad at using it myself.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mr Cuddles posted:

The usually perfect wiki cannot answer this question for me:

Do you have to give the flamelurker soul to blacksmith ed before he will use a colorless demon soul for upgrade?

There's no unique weapons I want with this character, so I was planning to cash in flamelurkers soul for basic souls instead of unlocking the upgrades. However, I still want to upgrade the adjudicators shield.

I think that you do, but its probably best to check yourself before using the soul.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

notZaar posted:

Personally I prefer having a focused, well designed experience. I always end up getting lost in games like Obilivion, and getting bored with the prefab dungeons and randomly generated terrain.

Both have their merits. Personally I think the Souls games (is that what we're calling them?) should stick with the more linear approach. Also that Dark Souls info is :gizz: worthy.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Perhaps linear wasn't the right word. In fact, I'm having trouble thinking of how exactly to describe DS. But it certainly wasn't a standard open world RPG and I liked that about it. RPG fans usually say that they always prefer a larger world too explore, but the larger they make it, the less time they can spend on the little details. DS's levels were well crafted, each with a distinct atmosphere, and they are all relatively small. What I'm trying to say is that I'd prefer Dark Souls to stick with small, unique levels rather than large, bland ones. If they can make levels of the same quality and expand the area at the same time all the power too them.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think I could get down with that.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Risky posted:

I get angry pms for using acid cloud in PVP. Apparantly it's bad etiquette. :confused:

In higher level PvP its considered bad etiquette in that its just a cheesy way to prolong the fight. In low level PvP its considered extremely dickish because of how bad you can potentially screw over new players. If you break all their gear, then kill them fairly deep into the level, new players can get stuck. They don't have any souls to repair their gear, and they cant get anymore souls because their gear is all broken.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Eggs posted:

Why does killing Miralda in white WT shift it back toward neutral? It's like, she attacked me.

Ya that poo poo is kinda annoying. Happens with Satsuki in 4-1 too. The explanation that I go with that the world tendency doesn't make the distinction of motive and only recognizes that a non demon has died.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jazz Thighs posted:

Was thinking of doing a fist weapon only-video walkthrough once my capture box is delivered, any good tips?
Has this been done yet(recorded), other fun ideas?

I'd advise against an all fisticuffs run as they are incredibly boring.

The most recent character I made was a low level blueblood sword user. If you start as a Royal you can get INT to 15 and 18 for all the requisite stats and still be as low as level 30. You'll only have 8 VIT and END so it makes for a decent challenge. Once you get the BBS the normal game isn't that bad. But NG+ is where the fun begins. All kinds of poo poo you didn't even think about will one shot you. I made ample use of Morion blade and clever rats ring since the difference in HP is negligible when pretty much anything will kill you anyways. Also having a BBS user at that level makes for some funny invasions. All in all, one of my favorite characters I've played.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Eggs posted:

How does backstabbing work in this game? Sometimes I backstab with my mace but it seems random.

Simply position yourself behind an enemy and attack to land a backstab. You'll know you got it from the distinct animation. You can do it with any weapon. Not all enemies can be backstabbed though. Basically if its not humanoid, you can't backstab it. Also, with certain enemies, finding just the right spot to register a backstab can be tricky. The rolling skeletons in particular seem to require a bit of finesse. I usually try to stand slightly askew, rather than directly behind them. Eventually you'll get the hang of all the enemies and backstabbing with be like second nature.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Newt Gingrich posted:

Can someone explain the ending to me and why I had to restart the game again

Well that depends on which ending you chose. Did you kill the Maiden and become a true demon, or did you leave and allow her to lull the old one back to sleep? Regardless, the game start over so that you can play it all again in NewGame+ mode. The enemies will all do more damage and have more health, but will also give you more souls. Congrats on your victory and remember the true demons souls starts here.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DreadCthulhu posted:

Do people ever run past enemies to get to a certain portion of the map, or do you pretty much have to kill everything on the way or you'll train the whole level? Ugh I almost make it sound like Everquest..

Running past enemies is generally a great way to get yourself killed, unless you know exactly where to go. Once you know what you're doing, running past certain enemies can be a good time saver though.

Temple knight is a great starting class in general, and also good for noobs. You start with a heal spell, and the talisman to use it. Also you'll have a decent shield and armor. A faith build is great for beginners because the weapons you'll use (blessed weapons) will slowly regen your health. Very useful.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

In 5-1 right before the first fog door you'll see a plank jutting out. If you're playing online there will usually be a message on it telling you to step off. Carefully step off and immediately put up your shield when you land. In this area you'll see a red throbbing blob. Kill it and you'll find a Blessed Mace +1. Its a nice starting weapon, and will make those skeletons a breeze. World 5 is where faintstones drop, which are used to upgrade blessed weapons. You can get them from geckos or just find them laying around.

2-1 is where you'll find the blacksmith who will do the upgrading so that's not a bad place to take care of. Its generally one of the easier levels and the enemies are weak to piercing attacks (i.e. the winged spear) so you're well equipped to take it on.

I would suggest you work on getting some upgrades and level your Vit, End, and Faith stats.

E: I stand corrected.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 22, 2011

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well poo poo I can think of a few times I wish I would have known that. I guess I assumed because it puts the fog door behind you, like when you get invaded, that you couldn't escape.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jamesman posted:

OK, I'm here.

So, my game glitched it seems. There was an item just laying on the ground for me to take after revisiting 3-1, and it turned out to be a unique weapon I was only supposed to get after a whole bunch of black world tendency stuff and fighting some dude.

It's kinda bummed me out, so I think I'm just gonna start my game over. Is there any way to prevent something like this from happening again? I don't want huge chunks of my game skipped like this.

You know what the name of the weapon was? I'm assuming it was the phosphorescent pole that you get from killing BP Rydell. Did you at any point have PBWT in world 3? Have you been invaded while in 3-1 before? I'm just thinking out loud here but one way that this could have happened without a glitch being involved is if you had PBWT and got invaded. The invader, while looking for you, may have stumbled upon BP Rydell. If that invader were too backstab or push Rydell off a ledge, the next time you load 3-1 the weapon will just be waiting there for you pick up like you describe. Thats probably a bit far fetched, but I've never heard of a glitch like this before so that's the best explanation I can think of.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jamesman posted:

When that happened, I was resurrected in 3-1 for some reason, after a cutscene showed a chain breaking.

That part is really odd because the only chain breaking cutscene I can think of is in 3-2, which you weren't invading and didn't even have access too. Regardless the only thing you missed out on was the fight with BP Rydell and he's one of the least interesting fights so I would say don't worry about it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mumblyfish posted:

I can't think of anything that even approaches a one-hit kill on the first playthrough, other than environmental damage and pure black world events.

Often people will play the majority of their first game in soul form, and will be under leveled relative to their opponents. Black katana skeletons, reaper's soul ray, giant depraved ones in 5-2 and the BP squids in 3-2(with their paralysis combo) can all one shot low level chars with <20 Vit in soul form.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jamesman posted:

Well, it's nice to know that they're not ACTUAL instant-kill attacks then, and just really strong attacks that I'm not properly leveled to handle. I'll try to focus more points into vitality then.

Yes. Also you might notice that regardless of what stat you level up you'll always get a point of physical defense. So whichever stat you raise, you're still getting some survivability. A lvl60 char will take significantly less damage than a lvl30 with the same Vit.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You can backstab with anything, including your fists.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think that duping trick is fairly well known, people just don't usually discuss it. Its so easy and quick that I wouldn't recommend it at all for anyone whose done less than 2 playthroughs. It trivializes a lot of stuff that makes the game fun. You lose that sense of accomplishment when you can have a full inventory of +5 weapons and be level 100 in just a couple hours. That being said, I'm not above using it myself. Its a nice way to make a new build and get it to 120 for pvp with good equipment in no time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Gazmachine posted:

That tutorial isn't very clear - does it mean you can only dupe whatever item you pretend to buy from Boldwin? Is he duping whatever item is currently selected in his consumable (square to use) slot?

I only want to use this on colourless souls, now I've clocked a good 150+ hours with this game, so I can see what certain weapons are like maxed out (hands of god, basically) without wasting hours of my life.

You're duping the item that you deposit.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bigass Moth posted:

What method are you referring to? Trading items with blue phantoms and then unplugging your ethernet cable so the game doesn't save with you having lost them?

Nah, that trick and the one ireladd mentioned are pretty much obsolete when you know the one Visitor K posted.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Sorry I skimmed your post. I actually never realized that that glitch effected your WT. I always sorta figured that when you killed a primeval that it just resets your WT to neutral rather than actually raising it. So you only need to do this twice to get from pure black to pure white correct?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I don't think being in body form has any effect on how much the WT changes.

Shifting towards black is easier in that you can always kill yourself, where as shifting towards white requires bosses. If you're playing online though its pretty easy to get PWWT because of this:

DS Wiki posted:

There is a server median which appears to be calculated by accounting for World Tendency events across the network in aggregate. For instance, if a large number of players are doing things in their World which change their World Tendency towards Black, then the server median will reflect this. Likewise for all White Tendency events.

While playing online the effect of the server median is session based. The current median will be applied when you load a game. This becomes your starting point for World Tendency for this session. During the course of that particular game you can influence World Tendency events by your
actions. When you quit that game, your current World Tendency status is lost to you.

So almost always you'll start with WT thats already far into the white. Usually you'll only need to beat one boss in that world to get PWWT. I've started a new game, beat Phalanx and just that was enough to get me PWWT for world 1.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Snoogs posted:

Just started a fist-weapon only game, and it's pretty challenging. Since you can't equip shields, you have to dodge everything. No magic or bows means you can't cheese any of the bosses. It's all up close and personal. I'd recommend trying it out to anyone who's beaten the game a few times and is looking for a challenge.

I really didn't enjoy the fist user run that I did. The moveset is just so lovely and not fun to use. Except for the headbutt. The headbutt never gets old.

Other challenge runs I've tried:

Level 1: Simple. Start as a Royal and never level up. Any equipment is fair game, you can buy all the grass and spice you want, and upgrading weapons is allowed. Not as challenging as you might expect, considering you still have the stats to use the crescent falchion and a lot of tougher enemies can be beat by just spamming soul arrow.

Starting Equipment: You're never allowed to change your default inventory. Consumables are fine, upgrading and leveling are fine as well. The difficulty is really determined by your starting class. I did it as a temple knight, and it wasn't too hard, but was still quite fun. Was the only time I played the whole game without the fast roll.

No NPC's: Must kill every NPC on sight. May not use any NPC services ('cause they'll be dead). Leveling is allowed since the Maiden is unkillable. This right here is the real Demon's Souls. This run is crazy hard. The main reason being that you have to survive completely off what you can find. The combination of limited grass supply and no upgrades means you'll be in for some seriously tough fights. Very hard, but very rewarding challenge.

Someone should suggest some more because I'm always looking for a new way to play DS.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
^^^
Would you prefer the standard "die and start from the checkpoint right next to where you died" method? Also having an actual penalty for dying is not bad game design.

Hatter106 posted:

What will do more damage for a Faith build - Blessed Mirdan Hammer +5, or Istarelle +5?

I'm getting pretty tired of the slow old Meat Cleaver, but nothing else comes close...

Istarelle doesn't do that much damage, and wont compare to any blessed weapon. On the other hand a Mirdan Hammer does great damage and is one of the best weapons for a faith build. To throw out some numbers for comparison: my faith character, with 46 Faith does about 390 damage with a Blessed Mirdan Hammer +5. The Istarelle +5 does around 220. On the other hand, the spear moveset is great for PvE and Istarelle gives bonus poison and plague resist. Really, you don't have to chose just one. Each requires different materials to upgrade so if you want both go for it.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 2, 2011

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Beating bosses is the only way to shift it towards white. So if you've already completely finished a world you have no way to get PWWT (if you don't have it already) other than an obscure glitch that was described a few pages back. You can shift it towards black by repeatedly killing yourself while in body form regardless of if you've finished the world.

Also killing invading black phantoms shifts your character tendency towards white, and has no effect on the world tendency. Although you may be interested to know that the whiter your character and world tendency are, the more HP you have while in soul form. The inverse is true of black CT/WT

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jamesman posted:

The wiki listed killing invading black phantoms as a way to shift world tendency, so are you sure it doesn't affect both?

It's referring to named NPC black phantoms. You'll ususally find them when you have PBWT.

quote:

Also, if I join someone else's game as a blue phantom, and help them kill a boss, does that effect world tendency in my game?

No but it will shift your character tendency towards white. Essentially nothing you do as a phantom effects your world at all.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
If you wanna do more damage with the MC level strength or dex rather than faith. They scale better, not just because of the S ratings but also because it makes cursed weapon more effective.

e: oh nvm you don't use cursed wep. Well point still stands, for damage pump str and dex.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Roumba posted:

Are certain weapons better or more forgiving with parrying, or do they just have different animations/descriptions for cosmetic effect?

The parrying dagger will give you a larger window in which to attack after you get stagger off. It's not really that good since that's the easy part, the hard part being the timing of when to press L2. Makes it hard to justify it over a shield since usually the best way to get a riposte is the block, then parry.

Fatal type weapons, and daggers in general have a larger damage multiplier when you get ripostes and backstabs.

• Locked thread