Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Reading through this thread has made me want this game and a PS3 really badly. You guys are satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I just picked this up today used for like $25 at Gamestop. They said it gets returned all the time because people get so pissed off at it. I can't wait to play :dance:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This game is awesome so far, but also pretty confusing. Can anyone recommend a basic walk-through that contains a recommended progression through the levels? I just finished the Phalanx and went to the level with the dragon and every time I get to the wolves I get murdered :smith:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ivantod posted:

I assume you are in 1-2 from your description.

Hint: try pulling wolves/dogs towards you one by one, it will be easier that way. Are you wearing the thief's ring? If not, why not?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything considerably easier available to you right now. I guess maybe 2-1 (Stonefang) or 3-1 (Tower of Latria) but they are about the same difficulty-wise so try those if you're having trouble. The boss in 3-1 is pretty easy though. It may be worth trying to brave 4-1 to get a good sword (Crescent Falchion - regenerates your MP when equipped) and the Adjudicator's Shield (regenerates your HP when equipped)--bring a blunt weapon with you though (such as club or mace--you can buy club from the vendor in 1-2, but you do need to get past the dogs to get to him I think). 3-1 contains several good armour sets, so that's also an option.

I need to go back and get the thief's ring. Just read about it :shobon:

Spiffo posted:

Yeah, that's one thing to consider. What's your playstyle Ehud? Are you a caster? Do you prefer to dodge out of the way of enemy attacks? Or do you prefer to block with your shield and retaliate?

There's no one playstyle that's good, and it helps to integrate multiple styles if you can. If you don't have a shield that blocks 100% of physical damage, get one. The Heater Shield can be bought for 2000 souls and blocks 100% of physical damage (and 70% fire too) so if you don't have something that good or better, get one. The Knight starts with the Kite Shield which is marginally better. Some enemies in 1-1 drop the Knight's Shield which is like the ones above but blocks hits much better.[/url]

The dragon's nest in 1-1 guards some equipment, including the Purple Flame Shield, which I recommend for being a manly man. It nullifies physical damage on block, reduces fire damage by 90% and weathers hits better than any of the other shields listed above. It's kind of heavy though, and requires 22 strength to even use. The dragon's den also guards a fire-resist ring and a ring that allows you to equip more stuff. If you can drop by when the dragons are gone, DO IT, if not then maybe make some suicide runs for a couple goodies. Make sure you've got the room in your pack to carry them though.

Also make sure you go back to 1-1 and pick up the Thief's Ring. Remember the part where you go down some stairs, turn around, and there's an rear end in a top hat in a room full of exploding barrels? He tried to explode them at you. Well, at the bottom of those stairs you can go over the railing to where a good guy is standing. The Thief's Ring is beside him. Help him out too, while you're there. Here's a video. This ring will make it easier for you to sneak around.

As for your options, I'm assuming that you've spoken to the Monumental already to open all the other stages. If not, he's up a lot of stairs in the nexus. There's a walkway near the top with a bunch of statues, he's the one with the candle in front of him.

1-2: This is the one with the dragon. You don't actually have to take the lower-route - if the wolves are killing you too easily, you can always try to run past the dragon. You've done it once already, and you have to do it again to get to the end anyway.

2-1: The stonefang tunnels have a lot of tough-to-kill enemies. Bring a piercing and/or magic weapon to make your job much easier. Lots of enemies use fire so keep that in mind. Also early on you'll run into another bunch of wolves, and a fire-throwing dude. The Purple Flame Shield helps a lot here.

3-1: The tower of Latria's enemies are pretty easy to kill if you can get to them. The tower itself is really creepy and difficult to navigate. The biggest threat here are the cthulhu-type enemies with the bells. They shoot magic at you, including one that can stun you (then they'll go for the kill). It's hard to get a shield that resists magic this early on so use cover and sneaking tactics.

4-1: The shring of storms has a lot of powerful skeleton enemies. Have a sturdy shield as well as a blunt and/or magic weapon. They yield a lot of souls for killing them but, again, they're really strong. The level also has a Crescent Falcion hidden in it (before the second fog gate) and the Adjudicator's Shield (just past the second gate). Both are guarded by powerful black skeletons though.

5-1: The Valley of Defilement is creepy and narrow. The "depraved ones" aren't so hard to kill but watch out for the giant versions of them - they can smash you into a pulp pretty quickly. Even with a shield, there isn't much point in trying to block them - you just have to back up and get out of the way.

Try a bunch of different stuff, learn the levels, use what works. Eventually you'll get into the groove of things and you'll do much better. Now that you can spend souls and level up, your options open up a lot. Increase your stats to compliment your playstyle. If you don't know your style yet, more vitality and stamina never hurts (but get your strength to 22 so you can use the flame shield).

That's a lot of good information. I tried a ranged character originally and wasn't really having any fun. Now I'm playing a Barbarian and find it more enjoyable. I find myself doing a lot of dodging and whacking enemies from behind with my club. I guess this might not be a great choice for a first character with such low armor but it's usually the kind of character I like to play.

What kind of weapon should I be looking for with this kind of play style?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I finally picked this game back up after quitting months ago out of frustration. I made a caster and have been going back through the parts I was stock on and cheesing my way past bosses. It's somewhat rewarding to see new places, but I do feel like I'm cheating the game. I've looked through some of the guides on the wiki but I have no idea which one to pick. Everyone talks about regretting not being intentional about their character build and I'm starting to see why. I'm just a mishmash of stats with no clearly defined play style.

Can somebody recommend a couple of builds on the wiki that a newb could pick up that don't require a lot of time to get set up? My play time is pretty limited.

• Locked thread