Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

All right, the last thread and this one convinced me to put down an order for Demon's Souls. I got it through NCSX because I've had good experiences the last couple of times I ordered from them. I'm kinda looking forward to playing a punishing game. It's been a while.

Arrrthritis posted:

The only games I'm really interested in are Demon's Souls (of course), MGS, Valkyria chronicles, and maybe uncharted.

I have all these (except Demon's Souls obviously) and I just want to add that I think all of them are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Mister E posted:

Yeah, I just placed my order with NCSX earlier today and they've already processed it and it's shipping out. So if you've got an order you aren't getting anywhere with somewhere else, I suggest canceling it and going with them.

Now I'll get to join in the fun of having my rear end handed to me from anything and everything over and over again!

Yeah, I'm glad I went with NCSX too. According to my tracking number, UPS has already picked up the package and is sending it on its way. I'm in Canada, so hopefully Customs doesn't hold it up.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

The game arrived today, a lot faster than I thought it would. Got right to playing and got through 1-1 for now. Holy crap, people are not kidding when the say this game is ridiculously difficult. Between stumbling off a very high staircase, getting roasted by a dragon, and just plain mistiming attacks versus enemies, there are so many ways to die. I'm sure I'll get better as I get used to the playing mechanics, but on the other hand, the game's going to get tougher too. Still, it's really satisfying to get past the tough parts.

Scary moment: I just finished beating the Phalanx (long more than difficult) and went back to the Nexus where the lady started talking about the Monumental. We're having a thunderstorm right now, so guess what? The power goes out just at that moment! I just about had a heart attack there, thinking all my work was down the drain. Fortunately, it looks like auto-save is constant. I loaded back at the Nexus with everything I'd gotten from the Phalanx.

One question about 1-1: one pathway went towards a long bridge with a black-cloaked enemy on it. I chickened out of fighting it for now, but what was that? It seems like it was optional, since I beat the stage without needing to go past it.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

pretend to care posted:

Actually I think most of them are from people who can't find the Monumental, because the game is so loving confusing about where it's located.

It was tougher for me because like I said in my last post, in the middle of the cutscene where the Maiden tells you to find the Monumental after you beat the Phalanx, the power cut out. I ended up stumbling on it eventually afterwards.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Speaking of 2-1, at one point maybe more than half-way through, there looked like a couple of items on a platform across a bridge. I started going across and, perhaps predictably, it crumbled before I could make it across. Am I screwed now regarding those items?

Also, about World Tendencies, I've heard that dying in human form alters the tendency slightly towards Black, but is there a difference if you're killed by an enemy rather than through a careless environmental death? When do I get the Black Eye Stone too?

Still a great game so far, and it's a good kind of tough. And at least Herbs are plentiful enough. I used up practically my whole supply fighting the 1-2 boss.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Thanks for the replies. I'm not worrying too much about Character and World Tendencies yet while I'm going first time through the stages, but it'll be cool to see how they change as Pure White/Black.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Thievery posted:

Thanks (and to JGTheSpy), i'll check it out. I remember checking around the Nexus and talking to the three people on the side with the blacksmith and the guy on the opposite side, but none of them let me do anything. I'll try again now as I might have been doing it before I defeated Phalanx. As for Flamelurker i've got two rings of Fire Resistance but i've only been using one as I need my other slot for the Cling ring, I figure it's more effective to have an extra 25% hp than another 50 fire res. He does however deal about 50% damage in one hit, so if he lands an attack that stuns me then gets a claw swipe in it's instant death.

Like McCoy suggested, Soul Arrow would be a good Magic spell to pick up. I used nothing but that against Flamelurker and actually beat him my first time out. I was also glad I had a nice supply of Fresh Spices and Old Spices, most of which I got from those octopus-head guards in 3-1. That's not to say the fight was a breeze. A few times he took down my Stamina to nothing and got off a strong hit. I made use of Herbs a few times, but you should do okay if you have the Fire Resistance ring, which I didn't.

More generally, I'm enjoying this game even more now that I have a larger choice of weapons and spells. It's still tough, but having more attacking options makes it less frustrating.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Is it normal for the messages that you write on the ground to disappear after a period of time? I wrote a couple almost a week ago (like on 1-2, mentioning a safe place from the dragon's fire), and then when I went back a couple days ago, they were gone. I guess it makes sense, otherwise the worlds would be cluttered with messages. But does it make a difference if they're higher-ranked? Like maybe they stay longer?

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

The boss Maneater is giving me fits right now. I can handle myself okay until the second one comes along. At that point, I'm too busy dodging both of them to get off any hits, and I inevitably get knocked off the platform into space. Standing in the middle with the pot seems to make it a bit less aggravating, but not enough.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Finally took care of Maneater today. I ended up using the Winged Spear as the melee weapon - not as strong as a couple of my other weapons, but its reach was useful, especially when I got him opposite that pot in the middle of the stage. I also put on the Ring of Regeneration, which made health a bit less of a distraction.

Then I proceeded to go and waste Yurt the Silent Chief back in the Nexus. Not nearly as tough as he looked.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

I just started black phantoming it up in this bitch and it's been pretty fun so far. I just got done letting some dude do most of 3-2 only to find me sniping him under one of the gargoyles as he finally decided to go to the heart tower. He had his thief ring on but was lit up like a christmas tree so I shot arrows at him the whole way from the archstone and he ended up falling off the bridge like a moron. So much better than all the cleaver duels I keep getting in.

I've only had one Black Phantom invade one of my games so far (also 3-2) and it wasn't quite the intense experience I was expecting. I saw the message showing it entered, and then not even 10 seconds later, I saw a second message showing it died. I guess it ran off the bridge or something. Sad, really.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Hackan Slash posted:

If you die as a BP to anything that is not a player (Falling, Dragon fire, etc), you lose one point from your highest attribute. You also lose it if the host enters the boss fight before you kill him, which is a pain.

I don't think it's necessarily the highest attribute. I got knocked off the environment once as a BP, and I lost the point from the Luck attribute, which was at 14 at the time. My highest one, though, was Strength, which was at 19.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Feenix posted:

yeah ok I suck balls. How do I not suck balls? I don't have enough whatever to get a bow and arrow so i can't take on the Dragon mini boss of 1-2, so I go to 2-1 and get raped by the Spider. I'm just not sure where I should be or what I should be doing. I'm a magician at Soul Level 15. I have a ton of melee weaponry that doesn't work for me (yet) have found no armor whatsoever aside from the helmet. The 75% soul HP ring is good. I have 3 magic spells, Flamethrower, Soul Arrow and Hide. (oh and Water shield whatever..)

I'm just not sure where the hell I should be going in order to progress even remotely decently.

I'm having fun, but it's also loving frustrating. I've died over 100 times in the 2 days I've turned this game on.
:\

There is actually a shortcut for 2-1 if you haven't found it already. Right when you start the stage, in that shack behind the merchant you'll see an elevator. Not only does that bring you down to another blacksmith, it brings you up to a spot that makes getting to the boss a lot quicker. To activate it, you need to go to where the three lizard guys with pokers were (near that 2nd fog door) and go straight past the point where that door was. You'll fight a few guys, smash up a few wagons, and end up outside on a cliff. Go to your right and you'll see a lever for the elevator. Once activate, you can use it any time and it'll stay active even if you die. Just watch your step. I fell off and died a couple times on it. :(

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Feenix posted:

AHAHAHA... I got past that part, walked up. Saw 2 minecarts roll up with glowy poo poo and was like.. OOOHHHH TREASURE!

umm... HAHAHHAA

Ah yes, I think everyone gets suckered by that "treasure".

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Hackan Slash posted:

You need to have the other whatsisface (Ed) upgrade it. He's in level 2-1 at the very start. Run up to the shortcut and fall down to the bottom of it. Ed is chillin' there, waiting for whippersnappers like you to bother him.

Just to add, some weapons can't be upgraded unless you have a Red Hot Demon's Soul. You get that from the 2-2 boss, and then you take the elevator at the start of 2-1 down to Ed. Talk to him a few times and he'll eventually accept it, and then you can upgrade special weapons.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Spite posted:

Also, what does the "experience" stat actually do?

If you're talking about the Dexterity attribute, according to the Wiki, "experience" seems to be a bit of Engrish. The higher the number, the less damage you take falling. It seems to take up at least to level 16 Dexterity before it goes up from 0.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Feenix posted:

Maybe those 2 Black Phantoms were squished *UNDER* the Elevator platform. I mean they WERE running at me when I hit the elevator up and fled like a coward.

When I first ran into those two BP on 2-2, I also took the coward's way out, scurrying back to the elevator and taking it up. At the top, my soul count suddenly increased by about 1000. When I went back to the same spot another time, there was only one BP. So somehow the first BP died by falling or getting squished. The one left wasn't too difficult, but I'd rather face one than both. The only drawback was missing out on what the first BP dropped. Oh, well.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Feenix posted:

HOLY HOLY HOLY poo poo the most amazingly cool poo poo just happened. Ever.

So I'm in 4-1. I have a sliver of health. I get a message that I have been invaded by a black Phantom. I freak. I run back to the archstone, carefully, because I have a poo poo ton of souls.

"You cannot return to the Nexus during Multiplay."

"gently caress!"

I see all this blue poo poo on the ground. I press it.

"Summon Player to join you?"

"yes, NOW PLEASE HURRY!"

He joins. We run forward. He doesn't know I'm invaded. He starts fighting that giant jumping beast in that main courtyard. (Gray Demon Soul). I am helping him the best I can. All the sudden I see a red guy (The Black Phantom) running at me. I still have a sliver of health. I Accidentally magic target that flying manta ray and hit it. It looks pissed. I start rolling. I'm like, oh wait... Great Club!
I still have a sliver of health. The Phantom hits me. Now I can't even see health on my bar. I knock him down. I knock him down again. I knock him down again and again. I WIN! HOLY poo poo I WIN!
"Your summoned blue phantom has died."
gently caress, sorry bro. I look and the Gray Demon Soul demon is still alive. I still have a sliver of health. I magic his rear end from afar. I beat him.

Holy poo poo this game owns. My heart is pounding.

Pretty awesome, huh? Yeah, multiplayer seems to totally add a different dimension to this game. I just had something kind of similar happen to me today. I was a Blue Phantom teamed up with some guy on 4-2 (this was my first time doing co-op, by the way). We had only gotten a little into the stage when a Black Phantom suddenly came out of nowhere, so I guess Blue Phantoms don't get a warning.

I almost lost all my life in a couple of hits, but was able to regroup and keep my distance and heal up. While I had the Black Phantom distracted, the host summoned a SECOND Blue Phantom. That pretty much cinched it. All three of us started pounding on the poor slob until we won. From there, me and the host kept hacking and slashing all the way to the boss (the other Blue Phantom sadly tumbled off a cliff along the way) and thumped him. Got a whole lot more souls for my troubles too.

So yeah, that was loads of fun. Trust me, you'll get a lot of these heart-pounding moments in the game. Even the low-level foes can be a pain in the butt if you're lazy.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

God drat, I just had the most epic fight yet in Demon's Souls!

It was in 3-1, and I was trying to bring down the World Tendency so I could fight BP Rydell. Besides using Ephemeral Eyes and dying, one thing I tried was use the Blackeye Stone. This time, however, instead of breaking in to a world, I was "summoned". What did that mean, I wondered? What happened next was I got summoned to the Old Monk in 3-3, complete with cutscene.

What I heard about this was that you play as the bad guy, taking down one of those pathetic heroes. Sure enough, he showed up, ready for the one-on-one rumble.

It was a great match, see-sawing back and forth. I'd come with a flurry of sword blows (with the occasional Soul Arrow), then he'd do the same, all while gobbling down herbs. It was like a boxing match.

Eventually I started pressing the attack a bit more, and eventually I got in a nice bunch of blows, and then it was 8...9...10! Knockout!

The whole match lasted quite a few minutes, and it was fantastic all the way. Couldn't help but feel a teensy bit sorry for the other guy though, and I know I'll be in his shoes soon enough.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Well, I just finished the game for the first time today, with Soul Level 78. Holy crap, that final battle with Old King Allant was so intense. I lost quite a few times to him before I finally took him down (including a couple of times when he used his drat soul-level-sucking attack; getting back the souls to level up again was such a pain). It got easier once I learned you usually have enough time to bum-rush him while he charges his ultra-strong magic attack. Still, you couldn't really make one false move or else you were dead.

Overall, I am seriously satisfied with my purchase. It was probably one of the more expensive games I've purchased being an import and all, but I have no real complaints. I'm not sure if I'll go right through the New Game+ right now (maybe a couple of levels to see how much tougher it is than New Game), but it's tempting.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

E Honda Civic posted:

Cheers on beating your initial run; you should feel pretty accomplished.

Go ahead and start it up, you should be OK. I finished my initial run and started NG+ at about 75 or so, and am now on NG++ at SL 260. Keep farming 4-3 and 4-2 to get those stats up, and grab the black tendency stuff from the regular game before you start NG+ if you can.

Remember; all you have to do to shift your tendency in a world is just die 3 times via an enemy or whatever. Take 3 stones of ephemeral eyes with ya and you'll have it done in no time.

Those black phantoms are much tougher in NG+. I made the mistake of not taking them out in my initial run and then having to fight Satsuki, Miralda, Rydell, etc in NG+ (which is a royal bitch).

Do the white tendency stuff the second time around.

Oh, also kill your nexus NPCs to get their unique items right before you start a new game, since they re-spawn anyway. (I didn't think about this until it was too late...did it on NG+)

NG++ thus far doesn't seem quite as jarring as the difficulty increase between NG and NG+, but that's probably because I've already gotten such a hang of everything and already have the best stuff.

I'm looking forward to scraping through the best I can until NG+7 is in the bag.

Yeah, thanks. It felt great beating the last boss after getting smoked the first few times. I ended up doing the good end to get the Maiden in Black's Soul.

I just got through 1-1 yesterday in NG+. While there was definitely an increase in difficulty, I went through the stage a lot faster than in my first-ever time in NG. Phalanx was a breeze with Soul Light piercing those shielded enemies.

I didn't worry too much about tendencies in NG, though I did take out BP Miralda and Rydell (I tried BP Satsuki (delayed edit: actually, I think it's Scirvir that I fought, not Satsuki), but gave up after getting one-shotted by his fireball a couple of times). In retrospect, I should've tried to beat all of them if indeed their difficulty is ramped up in NG+.

And crap, I didn't even think about killing the NPCs. I was just too happy to have beaten the game. :saddowns: Oh, well, I don't mind going through it again.

Nick Biped fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 5, 2009

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Xythar posted:

The item description for those sould says something like "Turns user into a Soul" - guessing that's a mistranslation?

Yup, one of the surprisingly few bits of Engrish in the game. By using them, you turn those "X Hero Souls" into Souls for you to use, like a currency. I think one Unknown Soldier Soul, for example, is worth 200 Souls. I actually didn't use those "X Soldier/Hero Souls" for awhile because, hey, I sure didn't want to be turned into a soul. :ohdear:

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Chunk posted:

At what magic level do I get another memory slot? The wiki says 14 but I'm already up to 16 and still only have one slot.

edit: oh drat it's determine by will isn't it.

Yup, here's a brief list on how much Will and Faith you need for Magic and Miracle slots, respectively.

Will Magic Memory
10 1
14 2
18 3
24 4
30 5
40 6

Faith Miracle Memory
10 1
16 2
24 3
36 4

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Kikaimegami posted:

To use the Large Sword of Searching, does having it in your off-hand still work? Also, does it work to have it equipped in your off-hand and then switch to two-handed for a bow? I'm asking because I specifically want to use it with Crystal Geckos. I need one more Pure Darkmoonstone, damnit. I suppose if it doesn't work with a bow, I can try to melee them, but some of them are hanging out on rather precarious ledges :(

EDIT: And those fuckers have some obscene magic defense.

Have you gotten through 4-3 yet? There are a couple of Crystal Geckos near the Stormruler weapon, and they're pretty easy to get with a bow (and like was said, you can put the Large Sword of Searching in the off-hand). I ended up getting a couple of Pure Darkmoonstones and a lot of Chunks of Darkmoonstones from them before I used the Geckos all up. My Luck wasn't especially high either, like 15 or so.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Kikaimegami posted:

Just did that today, actually. Went and Firestormed Old Hero to death to get my sword, then decided to kill Stormruler while I was there. My luck is 7, I think.. it's whatever Royals start out with, so pretty bad. Did you get them with pure black, or just neutral? I may just take it to pure black to increase my odds.

All I have left is Maneater and Old Monk and I'm set for NG++.. what level should I be before I go roast King Allant? I'm 131 right now and I'm guessing I probably want to wait a bit and farm some levels so I don't get pasted since a lot of stuff still one-shots me. Definitely need to work on getting the Old Monk hat before I move on, at least. Still so many things to do :(

Got mine with neutral, I think. If your luck's that low, I'd probably shift the World to Pure Black if you have enough Ephemeral Eyes to waste. You should be able to get at least one Pure Darkmoonstone out of the eight Geckos that'll show up (each of the two x a count of four for each one with the bosses you've killed).

Not too sure about what level I would be for King Allant. I'm in NG+ too, but honestly I'm not sure how much difference a few more levels will make. There's always something out there that'll one-shot you no matter how strong you are, it seems.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

ChesterJT posted:

At what soul level would you say you can complete the game? I'm wondering about how high my stats should be before I'd even have a real shot of finishing.

Also, when you do finish and start a new+ game, is there anything you lose?

I was level 78 when I beat the game according to an older post. Looking around, it seems level 80 is a reasonable number to finish the game with, though I've heard of people beating it at level 60, and I'm sure you could do it with an even smaller soul level. Probably a lot depends on your build.

And nope, you don't lose anything with a NG+. The only thing is you have to do things like rescue the magicians like Sage Freke again, and unlock the shortcuts in the stages. Just watch out, because what you carry magic and miracle-wise when you do the final part of the game is what you start out with at 1-1 in NG+, and I don't think you can change that until you beat it. I didn't know that myself. Still worked out okay though.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Ricks posted:

Does the magic/miracles you've learned carry over in a NG+(to get trophies) ? I'm about to finish the game and I still have all my D.Souls and I don't want to lose them if they don't carry and just upgrade some weapons instead.

Yeah, no problem there. Everything you have at the end of a game - magic, miracles, items, souls - carries over into NG+ (and NG++, etc.).

dis astranagant posted:

There's a Dragon Longsword +1 in 4-2. Not the best Dragon weapon, but usable.

I think you mean 2-2. That's where I got mine, at least. It's somewhere in the caves with those Bugbears.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Bit surprised that Atlus got it, but if any company knows how to handle games like this, it'd be Atlus.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Feenix posted:

it is and it isn't. Understand that Ive gotten into "I wanna beat this game" mode and also I'm at home with the flu. So a couple run throughs with last-second deaths that cost me a huge backtrack/retread and I just start to lose my patience a little.

Also 5-2 just kinda sucks.

[edit] where is the shortcut?

Yeah, I'd say 5-2 is probably the ugliest and most unpleasant stage to go through in the game, between the swamp and the darkness and the enemies lurking in the mists, though I'm sure that was the idea. The hardest part for me was the first giant goblin on the island with a couple small goblins. I used ranged attacks, but I needed to be in the swamp to get close enough, and of course it makes a beeline for you once you hit it. Meanwhile, it's like you're walking in molasses, plus you have the bonus of being poisoned. Once I got past that, though, and through the first fog door, it seemed easier. There are only two other giant goblins that you have to go through, and at least there you're on solid land, so you can do ranged attacks and back up (with the Thief Ring) so it goes back to its spot. Repeat until dead.

Unfortunately, to access the shortcut, you have to practically get all the way to the boss in the first place. Instead of going to the left and the big fog door, you go to your right along a narrow ledge, where you knock down a plank at the end. This gives you a bridge to the boss nearly from the start.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Morvus posted:

Wow, 1-4 is a humbling experience. I thought I was doing pretty well in the game (beat worlds two and three) but I can't even get past the first room! I killed the black phantom wielding the penetrating sword easy enough, but how can I take down the other two? When I draw out the phantom with the spear and tower shield he recovers so fast from a blocked attack that my axe rebounds and he skewers me. I'm guessing he's also wielding that pvp spear because he broke all my stuff for a nice 18,000 soul repair bill.

How did you folks that beat the game get past this?

I just used long-distance attacks for that fight. I put on my Thief Ring, stood pretty far back and used my viscous compound long bow on each one. They'd get hit, move towards me, but then would go back and stand in their original spot. I'd fire again, they'd approach and go back, etc. Takes awhile, but at least once they're gone, that's it.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Fuzz posted:

He helps you fight Mephistopheles when she betrays you, that's about it. Considering she's a really easy fight as it is, it really isn't worth it to keep him hanging around.

Also if you let him get back to the Nexus, you'll soon see two corpses lying around each with one of those Hero or Soldier Souls. They just seemed to show up out of nowhere (they weren't any of the characters previously in the Nexus), so you don't really lose anything. Just make sure to kill him before anything else happens.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Hamburger Test posted:

I don't know if this really needs to spoilered at this point but ok.
There's a tiny area in the small room between the bridge where you fought Maneater and the stairs up to the monk where you can use the blue and black stones. The game will try to find a player using the black stone there, or a player who has used to blue stone anywhere in world 3. Probably also any player who has used the black stone anywhere else in world 3, but I don't know for sure as I never tried invading elsewhere in world 3.

I put down the Black Stone once right at the beginning of 3-1, and got called to the Old Monk's room as a Black Phantom where I beat another player in a pretty awesome fight. Didn't get any item though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Drudkh posted:

pleasee pleaseee let this game be a success. Okay, i was part of the crowd that was sort of turned off by people talking of this extreme difficulty.. I don't find it to be that hard, See.. it really is hard, but the key here is being patient.

You're going to mother loving die a lot, but if you manage your demon souls correctly, it really doesn't matter. This game is flat out loving amazing. The problem i had with games like oblivion is it sort of feels like a lonely experience in a dead world. This loving world you're in is alive with all sorts of real people, it just makes the game feel so alive. I can't believe how many hours i have logged in and i'm just beating the spider boss. I'm not that far but i'm having a blast. This game is extremely rewarding, and really makes you want to play like a pro instead of rushing.

I think people with ADHD would hate this loving game. too be honestly i didn't really think this game would even be that great, but it is the most fun i have had on PS3 all year. (other than U2 heh..)

According to VG Chartz (yeah, I know, but no other site has any numbers), it's sold over 100,000 copies in its first week. Even if that's just a rough estimate, that's really good for an allegedly niche game.

It warms my heart to see so many people enjoying the game. Even though I imported my copy a few months back and beat it already, I'm tempted to pick it up again.

• Locked thread