Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I stopped following the thread as much when a bunch of games came out, and I might pick this up later but what are the impressions so far? Is melee combat in the end more complex, like some people were hinting at or is it mashing? How do the different classes play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just picked up the standard edition. I thought the normal edition would come with a soundtrack or something, wasn't it supposed to? Mine came with nothing but whatever it's a game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is there anything bad about upgrading whatever I'm using right now or should I save all my materials to upgrade the good stuff?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just lost 3000 souls to a skeleton because I thought I could get one more kill before I went back and spent them on levels

This game :smith:

I guess 3000 souls is nothing later though?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Eternalmajin posted:

So after getting toasted trying to sneak up on the checkable corpses near the dragons a few times I finally get to the boss and found out that 8 firebombs aren't enough to take out Phalanx. Spent a good 15 minutes running around getting enough magic to blast him to death with Soul Arrow.

Turpentine! It took me a while to figure out that boss but luckily I had a stock of Turpentine at that point and had no idea what it did. It lights your weapon on fire and makes slimes really easy to kill

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Danthrax posted:

Also I went into 3-1 for the first time and not five minutes into it some Cthulu-looking motherfucker stunlocked and killed me in two hits. Is that a mindflayer?

3-1 is awesome because you'll be hacking along and then all of a sudden OH poo poo BELLS and it turns into metal gear, it's the first level I'm doing after 1-1 after finding out 4-1 is basically impossible with piercing weapons.

Speaking of 3-1 That phantom NPC is really hard to kill, whenever I roll away she gets a backstab on me.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KGBAgent185 posted:

Only thing I've managed to figure is that the place is going towards black tendency. Why? I have no idea.

However tendency seems a little odd, as apparently the Dragon Bone Smasher sword I picked up while fighting in 2-3 is supposed to only be accessable during pure white? I never got any of the places up to pure white so that's just... odd.

I was considering getting world 1 to pure black, then up to pure white, but honestly I don't remember seeing anything that happens at pure white that I didn't already do, and it's never been pure white.

Tendency shifts by itself to whatever the world average is if you play online. Since the game is loving hard I'm assuming all my worlds are shifting towards black as people die over and over

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Twilly posted:

I don't think this is true. World Tendency is locked to your character. If you use the Blue Stone and get brought to someone else's world, it uses the Host's WT. But your WT doesn't magically drift around, it changes based on discrete events.

I dunno, that's what I read on the Wiki. Apparently it's supposed to be a tiny amount, but the average tendency of worlds online slightly affects yours, and it might be enough to push some people to the edge when they're not playing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Is it possible to leave more then one blood stain? Like 2000 points over there, 200 here and 3000 back there?

No
(Don't die twice)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I feel like I shouldn't have started as a Thief, because I'm putting all of my points into Strength because I can't equip anything, and pumping up my magic stats because I like using magic. I can't decide agghhh

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

qbert posted:

This morning I completed my Sticky Compound Bow+5, killed Flamelurker, killed Dragon God, and killed Tower Knight. Goddamn do I feel like a badass.

Now to pick between 3-1 and 4-2. In your guys' opinion, which stage is harder?

I did 3-1 first, it's not too hard as long as you have some method of killing the bell guys. Fireballs and Thief's Ring are working so far, as long as you're careful.

Wait until you find out about all the different ways they can kill you

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

chrisf posted:

I got invaded by my first black phantom this morning. First trip in 2-2, swinging my giant club at some worm thing, and get backstabbed for a tiny sliver of hp lost (temple knight armor + pumped end). The battle was me hitting him with my 2h giant club for 1/3 of his health, him rolling away and healing, trying to shoot me with fireballs, and after a few minutes of that I got a club combo off for victory. The time between the invading announcement and getting backstabbed was pretty tense, but when I saw how little he was hitting me for I relaxed.

Haha that sounds like my invasion except I invaded a guy in 1-2. I just got the thing and was all eager to try it out and I backstab someone and what the hell seriously that's all it did? I spent the next 3 minutes dancing around hitting him with fireballs before he just stabbed me to death. It's way harder to get kills as a black phantom

Also it doesn't help that my character is weak because I started as a Thief then ended up putting all my points in magic stuff, then some in luck, then hey how about a point here and my HP and damage are really poo poo. I guess I just need better weapons

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also worth mentioning is that most weapons can be upgraded to give certain stats more priority. If you max out Dexterity, you can upgrade your weapons so they'll give greater bonuses on dexterity. You can even upgrade them to get rid of all other bonuses, give bonuses on Intelligence and regenerate mana if you're a caster and still want to stick with some weapons.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fuuuuuck one hit away from the boss of 2-2 and I died :( I could have dodged and got the hit off but I just tried hitting him one extra time to end it there.

The Real Demon's Souls Starts Here

So far I've beaten the bosses of 1-2, 2-1, and now fighting 2-2 with ranged weapons and spells. Are these even supposed to be doable melee? I beat a bunch of other bosses melee so far, and I can kind of see how 1-2 is doable if he has weakspots, but the bosses in world 2 look impossible for close range fighters.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Holy poo poo 2-2 is bigger than I thought. After taking out the boss I decided to wander around a bit and found entire (huge) parts of the stage I did not know existed. Also At one point I talked to a vendor, and I exited and 20 flying enemies were just sitting there staring at me. Also I had 200 arrows and spent them and all my spices just killing those big slugs.

Anyone looking to upgrade weapons, do the second world. all of my weapons were +1 or +0 after beating parts of every other world, and I just went straight to a Lava Bow (+8 special bow) off of 2 areas alone. Also in my joy I lost body form by jumping off the pulley that goes to the blacksmith and dying :I

This game is kind of like playing Megaman 9 for the first time, at first you're confused and scared and everything is killing you, but after you begin to figure out levels and get tools to help you in the other levels it's not so bad.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KGBAgent185 posted:

The only good miracles come from Demon's Souls, and later ones at that. :(

Good spells come from the starting one's, Freke, and some decently early demon's souls in comparison. Yuria has some super pimp poo poo though.

Heal and Evacuate are both incredibly useful, at least if you have a fragrant ring. I actually went out of my way to start 4-1 to get a Talisman and Fragrant Ring, because I kept running out of healing herbs and while it's not something that will be useful in the heat of battle it definitely lets you save those herbs for emergencies. Heal is beginning to be less useful as I use my magic for attacking and have a large stockpile of herbs lying around, but I might replace it with the spell that cures all statuses because everything else takes 2 slots and I want to keep evacuate.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How is weight and stuff determined? I can roll around because I'm wearing all Thief gear, do certain sets make you slower, certain pieces or just you add up the numbers?

Also does armor have an effect on stealthiness? It seems like it should but I can't be sure.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I need to try invading some more now that I have real ways of killing people. Mainly arrows and Firestorm when they get close, let's see if this works

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hamburger Test posted:

For a question of my own, does anyone know if increasing your magic stats have any effect on magic/light/cursed weapon and warding/total protection? So far I know that wearing the magical sharpness ring doesn't increase the damage bonus of light weapon.

I'm pretty sure they don't, that's why there's a catalyst that has less spell power but gives you more mana, in case you just want to use more buffing spells like those. Similarly the Talisman that lets you use Magic and Miracles at the same time has really low miracle power, so it's more for a caster that wants evacuate on the side or something.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hamburger Test posted:

Well, now you brought up catalysts. There's a 5 point damage difference between silver and wooden (still 10 magic) neither ring or monk's make a difference however.
Oh well I have no idea then. The catalysts have different "spell damage" though without taking Magic or Intelligence into account

Arcaeris posted:

The only offensive miracle is Rage of God, and the Talisman has decent magic power, so really it's for everyone who doesn't use Rage of God a lot. Which is almost everybody.

I thought it affected Heal/Recovery power but I didn't check.

Edit: Is Acid Cloud ever useful or should I take the 40,000 souls instead? That's a lot of souls

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 17, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

I never did any Blue Phanton/Black Phantom stuff and now I'm Soul Level 90 with nobody to hang around with :smith:

Get to 100 and the level range opens up I think

HelmetCheese posted:

I also recently got invaded for the first time but all KILL_FULL_TIMEE did was run in circles around me and block, he hardly even attacked me :(. Should I take that as an isolated incident and expect to generally get raped when people invade my game?

Every time I invade it's generally me spawning with a guy and 2 blue phantoms surrounding me and I'm running from them :I Also I believe Black Phantoms do less damage to players. I got to know 4-1 really well over countless deaths so I wanted to spawn in there and trigger traps, attack with the ambushes and stuff but everyone brings in phantoms there.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I kept dying to the boss of 4-1, then realized I was doing it wrong. I got him down to low health, dodged into a wall and died. On my way back, I died to those ranged guys all deciding to hit me at the same time when I never even had a problem with them and lost 25,000 souls. :smith:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I leveled Intelligence to 18 to use the Blueblood sword instead of Magic :downs:

It's ok my character is just on the way to having 18 in every stat besides endurance I guess, those 3 spell slots were really useful anyway.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Megaflare posted:

Luck, according to the guide, "affects the frequency of item drops, but not the quality" and goes on to say that it doesn't actually help for rare or valuable drops and as a result isn't really worth investing in.

Yeah it helps as a poor thief starting off to get herbs and spices all the time, before you get to a point where you can farm easily enough to just buy everything.
That said I love this game but I am never getting the trophies for final upgrade path stuff

Edit: I just accidentally got pure white tendency in world 4 after beating the boss in Soul form? I have no idea how this works

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 17, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Are there any shortcuts through 5-2, because hoooooly poo poo. World 5 is just a really bad level except for the last boss which is pretty cool.

When you're in the village, instead of going through the Fog door to the boss just keep heading on out. You'll find a Crystal Lizard and a shortcut back to the beginning. Also there are 3 or 4 giant club guys in the swamp below you guarding some valuable stuff who you can snipe safely from up there.

I still feel like I'm completely missing some of the shortcuts for levels though. Like does 2-2 have a shortcut at all or do I have to risk falling to my death every time I go to farm ores

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have pure white in worlds 2, 4 and 5 completely by accident. 2 and 5 I finished

My friend after seeing my play the game got it, the only way for me to play with him is to be around the same soul level right? I wanna make a Faith-based character, or someone with enough Strength and Endurance to actually equip 90% of the stuff I find. Is there any way for me to move stuff between my characters? I'm guessing complicated trading chains or something

What I did find out is that as a hunter, you can easily kill everyone in the nexus without even entering the first level, which gives you around 5000 souls, a ring of herculean strength Hands of God, and nothing to spend it on

charismaslover posted:

5-2 is the worst loving stage so far. I hate this swamp! :argh:

Do 4-1 first, get the HP regen ring and shield, equip them and you shouldn't lose HP when poisoned.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 18, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Wiki says you should be offline if you're suiciding to get black tendency, being online tends to mess things up. I got pure white by mistake, then suddenly lost pure white in one area without dying there. I'm not going for any items but I just like to see what spawns.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Faldoncow posted:

Basically, magic can be very strong in this game. Soul Arrow is efficient and very powerful, and with a few select items and points into magic, you can push your damage so high that most enemies and bosses are basically a joke. It's probably not as effective late game for pvp since many players will have upgraded shields that are more effective at blocking magic, but it's fun at low level.

Royalty is such an easy class to start with, I just made a second character to play with my friend that just got the game.

Here's something that makes it really easy if people want to make a new magic character:

-Get the Flame throw magic. Go to world 4-1
-Equip a thief's ring. Get close enough to a skeleton where you can lock on but they don't attack yet. Shoot fire. As they roll towards you, shoot again. There you can kill skeletons without getting hurt ever
-Go to where the Crescent Falchion +1 is located. creep up to the black skeleton, fireball him, then run away and he'll give up if you have a thief's ring. Just keep doing this until he dies, then pick up the sword
-Watch as everything in the game pretty much dies in a hit or two because they're all weak to magic damage. The enemies in 2-1 die in 2 hits, even a spear takes longer than that and with the stats a Royal starts out with spears aren't even an option. Also the sword's magic regen stacks with fragrant ring so you can just equip the sword to run around with but still use spells.

Toastada posted:

Just started doing some invading and I seem to get killed quite pathetically. Some player with three lights above their head cast a spell that just evaporated all my health. I never even got one swing of my sword. What ungodly spell is that?

I had a good battle with an invading BP last night, seemed to go on forever. I'm not sure if he was just toying with me, but he seemed a bit amateurish. He still killed me though because I pressed the wrong button in a panic and changed from shield to bow.

I invaded someone's game in 3-1, noticed he hadn't opened any doors, and started walking alongside the guards. he kept summoning people who were afraid and wouldn't leave. For maybe 10 minutes he just stayed in the first cell. Then I found out I can arrow him from a certain angle and he couldn't see me, shot him once, and he started panicking and ran out to fight me and the guards helped me kill him :)

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 19, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm on my first time through the game, is all the White and Black tendency stuff worth doing? I got the White tendency stuff in world 2 which gave me a sword I can't use and a pure stone I won't use, World 5 which gave me a neat ring I'll never use and a giant hammer I also can't use, I started World 4 which gives you a sword that drains your health but the tendency changed so I can't collect the sword I'll never use. Apparently I can do White tendency in World 1 for armor I can't use and this is kind of a recurring theme at this point.

Also apparently doing some of the White Tendency stuff prevents you from doing Black Tendency stuff, so I have a crappy stone instead of the Talisman of Beasts

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I guess I'll do the Black Tendency stuff then, if I can still get the Talisman. Also Colorless souls are always useful

victrix posted:

Gloom (and Fluted for that matter) both have the second highest stamina drain possible.

It's more about a choice of weight vs defense and stamina regen penalty than a matter of straight upgrades

Yeah eventually you can roll around like a monkey in full brushwood with a tower shield, but you'd still have a big stamina regen hit, and that'd be ng+ anyway. Your first playthrough, you don't have the luxury of stats high enough to wear heavy armor, use a heavy shield, and a heavy weapon, and still be able to move freely with good stamina.

I will when I make my 3rd character focus entirely on strength, endurance and vitality with those load increasing rings :colbert:

Making new characters is too fun I need to go back to finishing the game

Jadz posted:

Can someone help me understand all this "tendancy" stuff? I gather that killing more demons shifts the world more towards white, and dying a lot shifts it toward black....but what about "character" tendancy?

And I don't really understand how to guage tendancy on the little game board thing in the menue. Most of my icons actually look like they're glowing red rather than white/black.

What are the benefits/drawbacks to having a world/character that is white/black?

I am starting to get a handle on how most things work, but this whole tendancy thing is confusing, to say the least.

Character tendency is basically how good or evil you are. Kill a lot of NPCs and you'll become black.
World Tendency is how difficult that world is. Black means harder monsters, more souls, better drops. White is the opposite. If a world is pure white (actually closer to Pink, like you said) or pure black, you get special events unlocked. It shifts towards white if you kill bosses, towards black if you die in body form. There's more but this is the simple version.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 19, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MMD3 posted:

on the topic of backstabbing... are there like a ton of weapons you can't do it on? or do I just have the angle wrong or something?

I was under the impression you can do it on any humanoids with smaller straight bladed weapons. I made a thief last night and played through 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 and had the toughest time backstabbing anyone worth a drat... I was sneaking up on blue knights and hitting them in the back with my dagger but it wouldn't perform a backstab. I thought I was trying both L1 and L2 but no luck.

what am I doing wrong?

You should be close, weapon equipped in right hand, and press R1. Maybe that's why? You can definitely backstab with a lot of weapons, I do it in the middle of fighting all the time. It doesn't work with ranged weapons and whacking people with dual handed shields but otherwise it should. They're probably turning around as you approach, thief ring should help if you're trying to sneak up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jadz posted:

Oh no, I understand all that now, and I did find the ring, I was just curious. If I *wanted* to get back into body form, can I help someone else kill a boss I've already done?

If I wanted black tendancy (more souls from enemies I know I can handle), or just wanted to be able to summon someone else to help me on a demon, I'd like to know if this is an option, is all.

I thought this was the only way to do it lol
Can you kill bosses you haven't killed yet in your game? Does it count as you killing them or do you have to go through and do it again

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Project Oni posted:

drat, what a shame. I was going to take a level 1 royal all the way up to level 50 in less than 5 minutes, putting every single point into magic and intelligence. Already went through with a melee character, so it's magic time.

Thanks anyway.

edit: My NG+ file is pretty much useless then. Was playing drunk last night and for some reason, I decided to kill everyone in the Nexus. Especially Stockpile Thomas. Oh well, anybody know if the badass red eye stone transfers to a completely new game?

You can't kill Maiden in Black
You can still rescue Freke, Urbain and Yuria to learn magic from
You can use Ed in 2-1 as your blacksmith

No stockpile though yeah :I equip that ring he drops I guess

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aardark posted:

I just invaded some guy in 1-4 and helped him kill the black phantom before the boss. I tried attacking the player first, but he started running away and defending without fighting me, and I began feeling sorry for him. I'm not good at being an rear end in a top hat. :3:

It's not that assholish, I invaded someone's game and had a really really close battle. Eventually he kills me and I sent him a message saying nice work and he thanked me and said I did well too :3:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I've been going around upgrading stuff for New Game +, this was known already but Morion Blade + Clever Rat's ring is amazing

If you're below 30%, the effects of both stack so that all your attacks do more than double damage. It depends, some attacks go from 60-300, some go from 250-600. You can wield Morion Blade in your left hand, so you can have a superpowered bow or a meat cleaver doing thousands per hit. You don't even have to be able to wield it, just keep it there so you can do this on magic characters + combine it with ring of magical sharpness and kill bosses in seconds.

If you want to lower your health, you can just equip Magic Sword Makoto, which drains your 0.5% health per second or something and then switch it out for your weapon.

This also means you die in one hit though so it's not completely broken :shobon: also my backpack is full of things I carry for different situations now, there are 2/3 shields, long sword, crescent sword, meat cleaver, lava bow and white bow in case I need more range, morion's blade and makoto for the health drain

Also while typing this message a black phantom invaded and pushed me off the edge motherfucker

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah this is my first character and he basically has 18 in every stat at this point, at some points of the game I got through with magic, some my bow was my best weapon, and some of them whatever melee weapon I just found so I've gotten use out of all my stats.

I did get the better weapons, my inventory was worse before.
Melee: I have Blueblood Sword for normal fighting and Meat Cleaver for stuff like Black Phantoms and other enemies that are easier to knockdown
Magic: I have a talisman, catalyst and a sword that increases mana regen by a lot Shields: I have Adjudicator if I'm 2 handing a bow or meat cleaver for the regen, Dark Silver if I'm using it with blueblood for the parrying and full block
Bows: Lava Bow which consistently does more damage than White Bow, but White Bow is easier to sneak up on things with, and then around 200 arrows
Accessories: Makoto and Morion's Blade, all the rings

Yeah before I had piercing, blunt, magical, fire damage all lined up for different enemies. I had 10 vitality for most of the game and leveled it up because I needed to carry more stuff (although it made me realize that having 10 vitality is a really bad idea anyway)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Where the hell is the primordial demon in 4-2
It says the staircase with the breakable entrance next to the first reaper but I can't find it there.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hamburger Test posted:

You should exit out to a ledge with a black skeleton, there's a narrow path to your left.

Oh where the White Bow is? I assumed it would be in the actual staircase for some reason and didn't want to bother fighting past a black skeleton :shobon: Thanks! Got the colorless soul.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

YorexTheMad posted:

Ok, you're in the first Reaper room, looking towards the Reaper's altar.

On the left side of the room there's a door to a staircase going up. If you go all the way up, it leads to one of the pressure-panel-arrow-of-death traps at the top. You don't need to go all the way up. Go up the staircase two levels. Look at the wall and you should see an imprint that looks kind of like an archway. Attack the wall at that point and it vanishes, revealing a hidden passageway.

The passage leads to a cliff (guarded by a black katana skeleton, so watch out). Look to your left and you should see a path along the cliff you can walk along. The Primordial Demon is up on that path and should be visible. (There's also a Gecko there hiding behind a bush).

Hope that helps some.

Someone actually answered already but that's a much better answer than what's in the Wiki that thing needs editing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How exactly does New Game+ work? Can I beat the game, then get my character to black tendency, then do the mephisto quests, then start a new game? I'm on a colorless souls binge

• Locked thread