Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I stopped following the thread as much when a bunch of games came out, and I might pick this up later but what are the impressions so far? Is melee combat in the end more complex, like some people were hinting at or is it mashing? How do the different classes play?

Real depth to the melee combat. It's a completely different experience running around with a two-handed club than it is working your way forward with a shield and spear combo, and as enemies have very different resistances (skeletons, for instance, will just laugh at you if you use a spear on them, but get flattened by the club), it pays to learn a couple of different styles.

While it is possible to eventually properly outlevel enemies, until you're past the point where they're barely hurting you, they're still a real danger. Get overconfident, and those guys you've killed 50 times already can and will carve you up.

That's what I like about the game, really. 90% of deaths come from overconfidence.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zarick posted:

Edit: People have mentioned games that are similar to this one, like Monster Hunter and King's Field... can anyone tell me where to get those or what systems they're for?

Demon's Souls is basically King's Field: The Next Generation. Same studio, even. Here's a huge fansite with info on all the games and the systems they're for, and even a full-length fangame made using an official King's Field Construction Kit app.

Monster Hunter is primarily on the PSP right now, but the next game in the series is coming out on the Wii. It shares a lot of gameplay with Demon's Souls. The entire game is basically 'travel here, find huge deadly boss-monster that can wreck you in two hits, kill it, and turn its bones into new weapons', repeat until you are god. There's no levelling at all, either. It's just you and your gear and your skills Vs the monsters.

That sounds limiting, but there are more bosses than there are normal enemies. Something like 55 different boss types in the most recent PSP iteration.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 29, 2009

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fuzz posted:

I think those are actually burn scars, not wax. Though I guess wax would make sense with the whole candle thing, but whatever.

I'm fairly sure Thomas mentions 'Eyes occluded by wax', so yeah - it's symbolic blinding, what with being the temples candle-maiden.

I do like the little details in the setting.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

pukeshoes posted:

It's all in English, voices and text and all.

Really, this needs to go at the top of the OP here, and be the first bit of any review. It's the one question everyone asks, and some people skip right over import game threads/reviews just because they assume there's a language barrier issue.

The only flaw with the translation seems to be the occasional semi-vague item description. They could be a little clearer in their desciptions of functions, but I have a feeling that may be deliberate as well.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 28, 2009

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Harlequinade posted:

I don't seem to grasp the concept of the black phantom "reviving" when defeating you though. I guess I'll have to wait and try it out myself.

A player can only turn Black Phantom when they're aleady dead and noncorporeal. When you're in Phantom mode, you have half (or 3/4 with the Cling Ring) of your health bar, look faint and ghostly, and you make no footstep sounds. Killing a living player as a Black Phantom rewards you with a new body.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oae Ui posted:

It's going to be different for everyone, for me it's usually just a head palm and a "what was I thinking?"

For me, it's a short burst of semi-coherent noise, aimed largely at myself for loving up again. I tend to bounce back very quickly, calmer and more prepared.

Until I screw up again, and then it's deathly silence for a few seconds, THEN a longer burst of inwardly directed rage.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Jizzer posted:

I hate this game and I love this game. I've died about 10 times in 1-1, mostly due to my own impatience

This is the cause of 90% of deaths in this game. The moment you get overconfident and think that you can just waltz in there and handle all comers, you will die. There is no question, no doubt. Pride does come before a fall.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

1. You don't "need" firebombs for the boss, there are other ways to beat him like that weapon ointment that sets fire to your weapon works wonderfully. You shouldn't be farming anything this early.

I did it with a naked barbarian with a two-handed axe and no fire, first time. Took about ten minutes of very carefully taking down the little ones before going in for the kill.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

Yeah that's what I was trying but it seemed they were regenerating? Maybe I was imagining things.

They don't regenerate. There's just fucktons of them.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Geop posted:

I saw him just standing there and said to myself "this can't be good."

Learn to listen to that instinct. You see a guy in full plate armor with glowing red eyes, standing alone at the end of a long bridge? He's going to be a tough fucker. The game is pretty fair like that - just a glance will usually give you a feeling of how tough an enemy is.

He is killable, but is definitely tough to take in a straight brawl. I've found using Soul Remnants to distract him, then 'backstabbing' with a two-handed club worked well. But you don't need to bother with him yet anyway.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hamburger Test posted:

First time I took out Armored Spider in melee was because I had forgotten to get arrows and just casually summoned Phantoms to help me clear the level, not thinking ahead to the boss. One died on the way, and the other was completely inept at doing anything and just hid in the corner while I hacked up the boss. Made me feel badass though.

Seriously, arrow-cheesing bosses in Demon's Souls is the new Bioshock Wrench-rampage. It's a great way of ruining a game for yourself.

You know what's fun? Stumbling into the Armored Spiders lair as a barbarian with almost no equipment left, and only armor on your legs. Fighting that bastard bare-chested and underlevelled and winning is so goddamn satisfying.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kiss My Astaroth posted:

I got invaded for the first time today and smeared the bastard. Feels good man.

I got invaded a bit earlier, and not only did the guy NOT try to kill me, he killed an enemy sneaking up behind me, dropped a couple of items, and then left.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

magical_ape posted:

gently caress the 2 Golden Skeletons in 4-2, gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them.

Soul Remnants can be used to distract them, or even trick them into diving off the cliff edge. Just don't get overconfident, as their wild hacking is VERY dangerous, as those blades swing in a crazy-wide arc.

If you're not feeling confident enough to fight them, just use remnants, and run past with the thief ring equipped.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I think that one of the best things about this game is how unpleasant the environments are. They're interesting and detailed, but the atmosphere gets under your skin and you really do want to get out of there sooner, rather than later.

In almost every fantasy RPG, an evil plague or demonic invasion usually means gently caress-all. People go about their daily, happy lives, with the occasiona monster popping up out of nowhere to be slain by heroes. In this one, you get to see exactly what's happening, and that unless you stop it, it will destroy everything.

They perfectly nailed the whole 'dark fantasy' vibe, and do it quite subtly.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Someone in the PS3 Games Discussion thread just claimed that Atlus is bringing this to the US in the Fall. Dunno if I buy it, but we'll see. Doesn't change much for those of us that imported, I mean... it's already in English, and the MP is global.

If Atlus are publishing the US version, then there's a chance they'll be hosting their own multiplayer servers, which could well split the playerbase.

I don't get why Atlus would have to step up to publish it anyway. The game was commissioned by Sony, promoted by Sony, published by Sony, hosted online by Sony, and has repeatedly sold out in multiple regions, and is (from what I can gather online) one of the most imported games yet.

So why are Sony America washing their hands of the whole thing? They already HAVE the game, and it's already in full english - the only thing they need is a proofreader!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Japanese/Asian servers are hosted by Sony Japan, though, and if Sony US aren't willing to publish the game, I wonder whether the US version will hook up to the Japanese server?

Oh, on a server note, anyone else notice that the little 'We retain the right to bring down the servers after X date' note is missing? I have a hunch it's been enough of a success for it to run pretty much indefinitely.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

nominal posted:

I dropped from the parapet in 3-1

This is the start and end of your mistake. I got through that area without even taking damage on my first try, simply because I went the longer route and just walked up the path towards the phantom. One Soul Remnant and the fight was over.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

So if they do release DLC for this, will we have to create a Korean PSN account to use it?

Or, in many cases, a Hong Kong account. The latter is doable for me, though - I've already got one. Used it to buy Dark Mist with expansion (which more than doubles the size of the game, but for some reason never got released in the US/EU) some time ago.

I'd imagine that gameshare groups would be ideal for easily distributing any potential DLC to the goonish masses.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

diospadre posted:

I really, really hope there's DLC. That broken archstone alone is screaming for it. Is there anything ingame currently that acknowledges it?

The cutscene early on with the Monumental shows that archstone intact, and mentions (someone will have to double-check - I'm FAIRLY sure though) that it's the 'Land of the storm giants' or similar. There's no mention of it beyond that, but the fact that it's in a cutscene, named, and that it's permanently locked out through the main game suggests DLC to me pretty strongly.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fuzz posted:

No they won't. Already been covered like 3 times, they're keeping it global.

People keep saying that, but I've not seen any press release or official word confirming it. Got a link?

If it is all international, then I fully expect all versions to update to 1.1 at launch, with the US version fixes being part of a worldwide patch.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cephalocidal posted:

Backpedaling furiously while nailing them with magic works. If you've got magic. And don't back into something worse.

My strategy was always evasion until I saw an opening. Then smack em' over the head with a heavy club or similar. Knocks em flat for a while, letting you get another hit in, and back away before they can recover.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Nifty. Here's hoping that whatever enhancements the US version gets come to all other versions of the game. I'd imagine that'll be the case. It'd be weird to have multiple versions running off the same master server.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gustavus posted:

Ah, I'm so sly as I trick the one blowing fire at me preventing me from getting to the other one to fly off to the other side of the castle. Creep up on this big lounging bastard, all coyly wagging his tail about listlessly. One minor flick of his tail and I'm dead.

This is the root cause of 95% of deaths in this game - you get that tiny bit too confident, and say to yourself 'Hey, I can do this! That doesn't look so hard!' and then you get crushed.

It's best to assume that everything is a horrible deathtrap until you've safely poked it a couple of times with a spear to make sure.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Thievery posted:

I actually really really like the voice acting in the game. Even if a tiny bit of it seems a little off

The voicework was apparently done by a British company, and I think they pretty much nailed it. The only weirdness I found in the script was in the non-spoken text in places, which just really needed a proofreader.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Tufty posted:

Sage Freke's Apprentice sounds like a really pissed off and busy Jack Dee for one

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. At all. :colbert:

As for the Maiden In Black, almost everything she says has a strange 'chanted' note to it. It suits the character.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Tufty posted:

Think of it as an extra feature and extended content that you can explore in NG+ or your next character.

Seconding this. It's there as an interesting extra, not as a goal for your first/main playthrough. For a first playthrough, you really should just stay online, go with whatever works, and most of all: Don't fear the reaper.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

gowb posted:

Are the weapons random? It seems like you guys keep talking about the same few weapons, which makes me a bit sad, as I was expecting a lot of variety

There's a lot of weapons, but they're not randomly generated or anything. Nothing is - this isn't Diablo. It's King's Field.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Raptop posted:

It's worth noting that unless this is marketed incredibly well in the US, the asian servers are likely to have a lot larger player base.

Yeah, the asian servers cover Japan, China and Korea, and anyone who imported as well, and we know the game was repeatedly selling out in Japan and Korea at least. I'm sure that there's some kind of reason for it, but it's a drat shame that the official English release isn't going to be sharing the same master server.

I guess it's because Sony America want nothing to do with the game, instead leaving it up to Atlus to move in, and the current master server being hosted by Sony Japan.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

NCSX delivered it today and...

...oh my god this is hard.

It gets easier once you learn to trust your instincts. If something looks like a badass, or an incredible risk, then it probably is. The game is pretty good about letting you just size stuff up at a glance.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

Atlus is doing the localization so the stuff in English will probably be better translated. And you'll be playing on NA servers, not Asian servers. I think that's about it.

The voicework (which was outsourced to a UK company, even) and subtitles will be the same, though. It's just item descriptions that should be clarified a bit, and if they weren't an issue for you when you played, then that's not much of an improvement. Not that much for Atlus to do this time.

I recall hearing that they were going to add some slight graphical upgrades as well, like reenabling character shadows, but I'd assume that if they do that, then the asian version will get a patch alongside it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

What kind of sadistic developer would penalize a player for destroying boxes?

The same sadistic developer that put an instantly lethal deathtrap literally one step to your right at the start of King's Field 4. It's possible to go from start to game over in under one second.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I think one thing that isn't said enough is just how highly this game rewards common sense. If something looks dangerous, and if your gut feeling tells you it'll be certain death to try, you'll almost certainly be right. It almost never tries to trick you.

It helps reinforce the idea that if you die, it's because YOU (and only you) did something stupid.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Arcaeris posted:

I think this happened to me 2 or 3 times before I figured out that the "grey blob" was like lava.

It's actually ash that falls away when you stand on it, revealing the lava below. Important lesson learnt: Watch your step on active volcanic ground. Demon's Souls isn't quite so cruel in its teaching methods, but it comes close in places.

I really dig From Software in general. While their games may not have the most amazing production values or the most polish, they have a certain something to their design philosophy that resonates with me.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Arcaeris posted:

Although the idea is sound, I'm pretty sure you never see that lava/ash again for the entire game. It only exists in the first room of the game to kill you instantly, and you never see it after that.

True, but it puts you on guard for the entire rest of the game, constantly looking for clues to possible deathtraps. Beyond the start of the game it may not have any solid reason to be there, but it puts the player in the right frame of mind. It's a bit like Demon's Souls and its almost-always-fatal tutorial boss. If you're an immense badass, you can win and score some extra loot and then die twice as violently.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Carecat posted:

This has a NA release now but no EU? :(

The PS3 has no region locking. It'd probably be cheaper to import a copy from the US anyway.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, Gametrailers video-review is in. Glowingly positive all round, except for one weird complaint. They seem to find the setting/environments generic? Compared to what, I wonder? Aside from the King's Field games, there's pretty much nothing else with this particular tone of pitch-black oppressive fantasy.

8.9/10

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Atlus don't have a european wing, which is a major problem. They outsource their stuff to Koei sometimes, but generally speaking, if you want to play any Atlus-published game, you have to import.

Thank gently caress that the PS3 is region-free, as their 360 games are forever locked out for me.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

TehSaurus posted:

That's the good thing about RPGs. Just kill more dudes and the game gets easier! I think it lets players define that line for themselves. As long as you don't frustrate yourself (and you can get past the first level) you should be golden.

That might be true for most games in the genre, but Demon's Souls cares a lot less about your stats, and more about how you use them. If you do something dumb, it WILL destroy you, even if you're way overlevelled. Just because you've been through an area a dozen times and know the enemies inside and out doesn't mean you can let you guard down even for a second.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

You do get a reward if you manage to beat the tutorial boss before your even more spectacular beatdown, though. It's only there for enormous badasses, though. 99.9% of players just die there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured it was more because it was low-volume, more so than commercial success in Japan. This just doesn't seem like their kind of game.

Perhaps, but it was still selling out almost immediately after the second and third print-runs. For the longest time, they couldn't keep up with demand.

Despite putting down a fairly early preorder, I still had to wait a month or so for them to get my copy in stock.

• Locked thread