Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Sunday Punch posted:

What are the fog doors actually for? They don't appear to do anything when you touch them apart from disappearing.
I asked the same thing on IRC and was told they are basically checkpoints for multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Run through them dodging their shots, they get torched shortly after that, at least that's how I remember doing it.

Edit: ignore my post I'm probably wrong.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 3, 2009

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

exit mouse posted:

Go up the stairs and explore, you need to speak to the monumental so you can progress the story.
And the monumental is one of the monk guys, not the statue.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

keyframe posted:

I didnt see any dragons anywhere in the 1-1 except the opening cinematic. I walked around that hill and picked up all the loot :unsmith:

Its funny because somebody left a its a trap! msg at the entrance so I was paranoid the whole time.
Yeah, my first new character had the dragons, started a new character and they were missing. So strange.

NESguerilla posted:

Is it best to just do all of the levels in order?
No no no no no no NOOOOO.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

keyframe posted:

This game is kicking my rear end down the stairs. I havent managed to walk in any direction for longer than 5 minutes without getting killed. I think at some point 30 enemies ganged up on my in a narrow pathway. :psyduck:
Look around that narrow pathway. Traps can help you as well as kill you. Namely the big stack of "cannonballs".

Edit: oh you might not be talking about 1-1, heh.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

french lies posted:

For normal roller skeletons, don't use Soul Arrow, be a man and kill them with a Great Club. :yarr: Save magic attacks for Goldens or Ninjas.
I discovered the fun of bashing the breakdancer skeletons with my purple (flame?) shield. :)

qbert posted:

Question: people keep saying in order to roll you have to equip only half of your Equip Burden, but I'm equipped near max my burden and can still roll. It says Equip Burden 41.8/42 and I'm rolling fine...

If I go over 42 then I start to walk really slow though, and can't roll.
If your character "thunks" on the ground and the controller vibrates hard when rolling, you're not doing the lightweight roll.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

Where can I find a bow? I'm sure I could probably eventually take the 2-1 boss with just melee, but it will be annoying and time consuming and having a bow seems like the right way to go about it.
There are several places you can get a bow, but the easiest (in my opinion) is in 1-2 on top of the second tower.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

chief touching you posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but, is it possible to get the guide without buying the uber-deluxe version of the game? Local retailers were only selling the basic version, so i missed out on the guide book :(
Ebay? Other than that, doubtful.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

No but its not neccessary. The wiki helps and for the rest you have us :)
It is pretty drat handy though.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Darknight630 posted:

Didn't I need the Phalanx Soul to make a spear? I kinda ended up just using it for more souls.
There are a few places you can get a spear from, one of the vendors too. Phalanx's Soul is to upgrade a spear to another kind of spear, not to obtain one.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Man I'm hoping so hard that this game sold decently well in the states so that there's even more reason for a sequel. I know FROM software doesn't have a problem pumping out games so I'm remaining hopeful.
I have a feeling they are already making a sequel.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

MMD3 posted:

speaking of... is there any way to pause in-game? or are you safe just leaving your dude standing still in most areas if no enemies are nearby? it kind of bothers me that you have to save and quit anytime you want to walk away for 5 minutes to use the bathroom.
You are generally safe as long as you are not standing in a spot where wandering enemies will notice you.

Unless you have pets or other people who would manipulate your character into doing something silly.

Edit: Of course I'm talking about when you're a soul, if you're in body form you'll probably be invaded, when online anyway.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Trash Heap posted:

I may have the record for quickest death. Some giant Vanguard hit me with some incredible sweep strike. Dead, one shot.
First death for mostly everyone.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

efb^^

Could it be referring to the Rat rings?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

MMD3 posted:

I'm reading the wiki and in the section about magic they talk about your Will level. Is this a carry over from the Japanese version of the game? I don't see any Will stat.

Also I'm a knight and just completed 1-1, I wanted some sweet sweet magic so I bought soul arrow. I was able to learn it and have it in my action slot but I can't use it for some reason, is there something I'm missing that I have to do before I can actually use the spell? I'm assuming I just have to press up arrow but that's not doing anything for me.
Will == Intelligence.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/north-america-differences

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

All the other changes make sense, but why did they change intelligence to will?
Uhh, what? It was changed to Intelligence in the NA version.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Zahi posted:

So I beat the flamelurker on my second try with the help of another player (Thanks Zos) and finally had enough souls to buy evacuate. Though I'm not sure how to use it. I have a talisman in my left hand but all I can do is heal. Am I just really dumb?
You need to talk to Saint Urbain or the other miracle guy and memorize it.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

HEVampersand posted:

So I found Yurt the Silent Chief and decided to free him. Once he was free I immediatey attacked him. I backstabbed him and kicked him off the platform... I don't think i've ever facepalmed like this before... it was one of those 'i can't belief that just happened' moments for the ages. I was really fortunate though because his armour was there near the cage after i died trying to get to where his body had apparently fallen. I only got the armour though so I was wondering if I had permanently missed out on any weapon or shield he may have been carrying. Gloom Helmet, Chest, Leggings and Gauntlets was all I got and that's all you get right?
You're fine.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

alkanphel posted:

I was wondering, what is the timing to shoot the arrows? Also can I use Soul Arrow instead? Because I was watching the video and the dragon flies past really fast.
For 1-2? Aim at the top middle of the arch that you came through, fire when its wing briefly shows up under your aiming reticule and you should hit it.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

qbert posted:

Small tip: You're not going to get a world to Pure White unless you get it to Pure Black first.
This isn't completely true, I got 2-x and 5-x pure white simply by never dying in body there and beating bosses (once in body form).

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Trash Heap posted:

So you have to kill Flamelurker before getting Blacksmith Ed to forge you new unique weapons like the scraping spear (which takes the Lead Demon soul)?

I've been upgrading my winged spear in anticipation of having the gently caress-off pvp weapon.
I would suggest using another spear to make the scraping spear instead of your winged one.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Luck doesn't affect the number of item drops? Are you SURE? My last two characters have had higher luck than my first and I SWEAR for example that the fat counts are dropping three full moon grasses at a time instead of one.
No, it affects quantity just fine, just not the quality. That is, you're more likely to get lots of crap items instead of a single great item.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Eddain posted:

You lost access to upgrades using Demon's Souls I believe. So any upgrade requiring any sort of demon's soul you can't do anymore. It's not THAT bad, but if you were aiming for a platinum trophy you'd need to do an extra game cycle maybe.
A plat on Demon's Souls requires more than a few game cycles.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Johnny Law posted:

I'm curious about the mechanics of the Old Monk. If you don't know where Monk's Head Wrappings come from, spoiler ahoy:

So I've done this, it was way cool, got the swank hat. However it took a long time and I'd rather not do it again. If I drop a blue stone in 3-2 again, is there still a chance that the game will grab me as Old Monk?
Yes.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

qbert posted:

What are the best ways to cheese Scirvir and Selen Vinland, as these are the last 2 I need to beat?
For Scirvir, if you don't have anti-magic field, you can drop down on the walkway platform from across gap to the 'cave' Scirvir is in and snipe him with a bow, he won't be able to path over to you and doesn't seem to be able to target you if you have the thief ring on, although he will fire off spells in random directions.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Rascyc posted:

There's a dragon in 2-1? Wtf? Why didn't I see this thing when I breezed through that level.
He probably meant 1-2.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

oobey posted:

My first time invading as a Black Phantom, I win and then get "Session has ended" without returning to my body form or getting any reward. Did that motherfucker just disconnect on me?
Yep.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

boatiemathmo posted:

If this will be answered for me when I finally clear 1-4 and finish the game, then don't feel obliged to tell me - but if you need to leave him alive to find out then I'd like to know
He's an assassin for hire, and eliminates the same targets Mephistopheles would offer to you, if you go that route.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

gotly posted:

What do you mean "give" him the soul? Should I talk to him? I thought it was going to be in the upgrade menu as an ingredient for an upgrade.
Talk to him repeatedly until he wants to take Flamelurker's soul.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Johnny Law posted:

Ostrava! :argh:

I rescue him in 1-3, he says "thanks", I finish off the bad guys... and he is nowhere to be found. No "spawn flame" in the area either. Zone back to Nexus, no sign of him there. So no Pure Clearstone for me I guess (geckos didn't pan out either), and maybe no mausoleum key if he doesn't show in 1-4. Wunderbar.
Have you finished 1-3? (Beat Penetrator?) Because once you do, he moves on to 1-4.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Johnny Law posted:

Not yet. I should have been able to see & talk to Ostrava after rescuing him, so I'm afraid that he fell out of the world (or something).
All I can suggest is rezone into 1-3 to see if he's walking down the steps to the gate where you saved him, that's what he does after you save him and haven't beat 1-3.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I'm a sneaky little hacker. I can now control my game's world tendency at sheer will. :smug:

Thanks Atlus, for giving me the idea.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

keyframe posted:

How?
It's a work in progress but it basically involves intercepting the game's communication with the game server (the general stuff like bloodstains, etc, is all done over HTTP).

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Tornado Lazers posted:

I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but on game start up right now it says

Does this mean all worlds will be at pure black for halloween? Will there be extra bonus enemies all over the place? Am I a gigantic loser if I cancel my plans for this?
Yes, all worlds will be pure black on Halloween (this is what gave me the idea to see how easy it is to manipulate world tendency, I didn't think average online tendency could influence tendency that much).

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Tornado Lazers posted:

You didn't answer my last two questions. :colbert:
There are bonus enemies in pure black world tendency, yes, depends on the world.

The wiki page on world tendency has a nice list.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Twilly posted:

That's actually really interesting and pretty surprising. While I realized they were able to control World Tendency to such an extent I'd assumed that they'd be encrypting this kind of thing. Tomorrow I'll start sniffing the HTTP traffic from my PS3 and hopefully I'll find something interesting! If World Tendency is as easy to change as you imply there could be some interesting possibilities for modifying the messages other players leave as well as the bloodstains.
That's the trick, they encrypt the data going to the server, but not the data from the server.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

ufarn posted:

I've got BT, but none of the effects are there, perhaps aside from XP and drop bonusses.

What's up with that?
You're not at pure BT then.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

...! posted:

OK, I am never playing this game online again. I was doing the Morion Blade/Clever Rat Ring's trick to one-shot a tough enemy. I run up and right in the middle of my swing --

"Your message has been recommended."

I'm sure you can imagine what happened next. :mad:
That'll teach you to leave helpful messages for others to see! :smug:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Thundercleese posted:

I think according to the wiki the dragons go away if your WT is white, i.e. not necessarily pure white, but the Miralda event is pure white only.
I think the gate also opens up before pure white too, or that pure white bug causes the dragons to disappear and gate to open early then revert to off white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Zero Punctuation.

• Locked thread